Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm building a 2x4 sacrificial altar for unit filler in my dark elves army to go with my sorceress with a sacrificial dagger, and I'm looking for a model to go on the altar. Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Real hurthling! posted:

do you mean as a victim?

Just grab some plastic empire troopers with a lot of freedom in how you pose the arms, turn one into a corpse laying at the base of the altar, maybe carve out his chest so it looks list he was vivisected or whatever, and then have another human being led by the point of a blackguard's halberd with his arms behind his back and a length of jewelers chain serving as handcuffs. extra points if you use one of the heads with a gaping mouth so he looks like he's screaming.

that's a bit larger than 2x4... Also technically it should be a dark elf getting sacrificed, given the way the sacrificial dagger works.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

lockdar posted:

This would seem to be what you are looking for:
http://www.saints-tournaments.com/BOTC11%20PICS_files/IMGP2731.jpg

pretty much, except I'm looking to put a dark elf on the altar.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I gotta figure out a Mordheim army by June...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tadhg posted:

The fantasy league at my FLGS just started, going to run all summer. :dance:

Starting at 1k points, escalating 500 points every two weeks until we hit 3k. One interesting restriction that a couple of people pushed for was "No Lord casters until we escalate to 2,000 points."

That means, among other things, no Lore of Life for my Wood Elves for a month of playing. I'm instead running High Elves for this thing because of that (and the multiple Steam Tank player.)

I'm curious how often you guys run into restrictions like that? I would think that the points needed to take Lord mages would be restriction enough on them. Are they really that much of a problem, or is this restriction a crutch that some of the whinier players in the league are leaning on?

That's a holdover from 7th ed. when you couldn't take lords at all until 2000, right?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I played 1500 points yesterday as Dark Elves which worked out okay, I guess.

36 warriors w/ shields & full command
20 crossbows w/ shields
10 crossbows w/ shields
bsb cauldron
2 war hydras
supreme sorceress, level 4, pendant of khaeleth, sacrificial dagger, metal lore

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dark elves:

3 casters 1 assassin or 2 casters 2 assassins?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

They do, however all dark elf assassins are overcosted. A noble with a magic weapon is generally as dangerous except you can use his leadership. Shadowblade himself is roughly another 100 points over a normal assassin and not worth it at all.

It'd handle the bullshit Teclis blobs at least.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

spacegoat posted:

the detail on how that mold got hosed up is just amazing

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do Cold Ones riders fit on Silver Helms horses? I'm trying to make some Dark Riders without spending $15 a model.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Real hurthling! posted:

just use silver helm legs.

Better idea. What should I do about the wings on the horse heads to dark elf it up?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Real hurthling! posted:

Do you already own the silverhelm horses? marauder horses might look more evil.

Might they be too big to fit elf legs on, though?

I've got the riders from the dark elf battalion box, and that's it so far.

e: Marauders seems to work:

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 1, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tadhg posted:

^^^ Looking good.

Not mine, and I don't like the cloak or the posing, but at least the legs fit, and I have enough bits to get something on the torso working.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
critique my 2500 point dark elf list:

supreme sorceress, lvl 4, sacrificial dagger, pendant of khaleth
supreme sorceress, lvl 4, talisman of preservation
sorceress, lvl 2, talisman of endurance, tome of furion
death hag, cauldron of blood, bsb
36 warriors, full command, shields
20 crossbowmen, banner, shields
10 crossbowmen, banner, shields
10 crossbowmen, banner, shields
10 shades
20 black guard, full command, banner of slaughter
bolt thrower
assassin, rune of khaine, manbane

running fire/metal/shadow, hoping for a combination of flaming sword/withering/enchanted blades to fire off for 40 autowound shots, and 40 more wounding on 2+

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uberskooper posted:

Finally, a Dark Elf Lord on a dragon that doesn't look like he stepped out of the 1990's. That still doesn't make him useful, but I have to say that I'm pretty tempted.

gently caress you malekith rocks

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leperflesh posted:

I know you know this, but that's trademark infringement, not copyright.

It's both, hth

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leperflesh posted:

Types of work subject to copyright. If it's an original work, like say a drawing of the Warhammer logo, that's possibly copyrighted. But trademark covers any reasonably-recognizable depiction of a logo, so you can't get around it by making your own original drawing of the Warhammer logo and then using that to sell stuff.

From the US Copyright office:

So, no, a generic logo lacking "sufficient authorship" is not copyrighted.

"hope that helps"

hey look at this scrub trying to school an IP lawyer

Suffice to say that has sufficient authorship.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leperflesh posted:

Not trying to "school" anyone. I responded to a post that was less than accurate, with details and links to back me up. If I was wrong in any respect, I'm open to being corrected - ideally with something more literate than "u r wrong, hth" or whatever.

I agree. The original story was unclear as to the detail involved. It was "a warhammer logo". Forgive me for not leaping to conclusions.

Common sense should tell you that adepts mechanics decals for pesonal use are probably not infringing on trademark, as personal use means that they're not "used in commerce" for the purposes of the Lanham Act.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deino posted:

Played my first Storm of Magic game, today! The fulcrums and the ability to have individual wizards battle each other has a very cinematic feel (though it was kind of silly to have my Engine of the Gods sitting on a whirling typhoon of magical energy). One downside I felt was the effectiveness of many of the units provided by SoM. My ally's Chaos War Mammoth was defeated in a single round of combat thanks to lack of impact hits and only resolving a total of three wounds upon the unit of Nurgle-marked Chosen it'd charged. A Dragon had also charged some of my Warriors, taken down rather efficiently thanks to a Scar-Vet with Great Weapon. It just feels like many of these huge, devastating-looking monsters should be a lot more effective than they seem to end up being. The modification to the magic phase, allowing for 4d6 dice for winds of magic rather than the normal 2d6 was a welcome change though, and the cataclysmic spells were a lot of fun to play with. Spawning a Blood Forest beneath a unit of Chaos Knights was very :black101: when combined with Awakening of the Wood.

Think about how epic that Scar-Vet is. Tales will be sung about him for generations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Picked up the Ogre book, and holy poo poo, I'm drowning in options.

2500 points:

Lord:
Slaughtermaster, ironfist, armor of destiny, grut's sickle, level 4 (388 points)

Hero:
Bruiser, heavy armor, bsb (134 points)
Butcher, ironfist (103 points)

Core:
12 Ogres, ironfists, full command (411 points)
12 Ironguts, full command, banner of discipline (566 points)

Special:
8 leadbelchers (344 points)
Gorger (90 points)
Gorger (90 points)

Rare:
Ironblaster (170 points)
Giant (200 points)

Slaughtermaster runs maw, Butcher runs beast.

Gorgers ambush and tarpit.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WAR FOOT posted:

Saw Mournfang in action yesterday. 4 with Heavy Armor and Ironfists killed just under 1500 points of Lizardmen before falling victim to Pit of Shades.

Yeah, they're just about ridiculous.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, uh, Ironblasters can stand and shoot as a charge reaction, right?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WAR FOOT posted:

They have Slow to Fire. Doesn't that mean no Stand and Shoot?

Ironblasters, not Leadbelchers.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ActionZero posted:

It's promotional material for some new thing that's apparently getting announced on saturday (the manager at the store I was in a couple of days ago said they've been told it's quite a big announcement). It seems to involve an Empire captain who is hunting a VC pirate, I'm guessing it's either a boxed game or something like a set of rules for naval battles in the FB world.

Clearly Man O' War.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImJasonH posted:

:flashfap:

Oh please oh please oh please GW this would be awesome.

I'm almost positive it is listening to my local GW staff.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
just call this sea hulk already

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we talk Blood Bowl modelling in here?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I'm making a Lizardmen team. Just buy a box of skinks, or shell out $50 for the metal blood bowl dudes?

e: Based on the website pics, I really don't like the blood bowl sculpts

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was playing blood bowl on the computer against elves. Top of turn 16, it's a 1-1 tie. I get the ball with a skink, but don't have enough MA to get him into the endzone; I'm just a square outside. Bottom of 16, they have a catcher downfield, and they set up a two die block on the skink intending to knock the ball down, and get a throw to the downfield catcher. Die roll defender stumbles and push. Sucks for them; skink's got block and sidestep, and I score on their turn.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's been a lot of Blood Bowl at my local GW. Got a 24-person league going right now

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Perestroika posted:

I'm currently trying to get a proper grip on the rules (coming from 40k) and have a question about moving skirmishers. When doing the free reform during movements can I just turn the models around on the spot to get a new facing without it costing any movement?
For example, is a maneuver like this possible?

Every model turns right by 90°, turning the formation from 4x2 to 2x4.

Move to get clear of their forward arc.

Reform back to the original state and move up next to the enemy.

Reform to look southwards, then do a wheel to threaten their flank. Or just a reform on the spot to look in the same direction.

The way I understand it I would only have to "pay" movement for the actual walking east and northwards plus the wheeling, but not the 90° "turns". Is that correct?

Edit: And what happens if the unit has a command section, do they always need to be at the front even while marching?

As long as no model moves more than the movement, it's fine, I think.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Critique my 1000 pts. VC list:

code:
CORE	264

20	Skeleton Warriors	100	125		
	Musician		10			
	Banner			10
	Gleaming Pennant	5			

18	Dire Wolves		144	144		

RARE	0

SPECIAL	300

10	Hexwraiths		300	300		

LORD	250

Master Necromancer	165	250		
	Level 4			35			
	Talisman of Endurance	30			
	Master of the Dead	20			

HEROES	185

Necromancer		65	185		
	Corpse Cart		90			
	Unholy lodestone	30

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Radish posted:

Is your idea to bog down the enemy in a huge bunch of skeletons then just try and raise tons of them with your necros? I think you'd be better off knocking the dogs down to either a unit of ten or two fives and using the excess to make a zombie unit then putting both your necromancers in there. Heroes on mounts are really fragile, especially when they don't have any ward saves and you can still fit the corpse cart into your special. You might want to think about spears on the skeletons but that's kinda personal preference.

I haven't personally tried the Hexwraiths out but I think you need something with more combat potential. S5 with no armor saves is nice but they are still only WS3 with 1 attack. I think either a unit of Vargheists might be better since they can always march their 20" and will have 25 attacks instead of 10. They aren't ethereal but the first magic missile you face will probably do 50% or more casualties to the wraiths. Otherwise the monster ghouls if you are worried about frenzy (your general's leadersip isn't great for controlling that) and they are pretty tough and a lot easier to raise back. Like I said I haven't tried Hexwraiths but they seem really gimmicky. Either they will be unstoppable and your opponent will be pissed or they won't last the first turn.

I'd try to get a dispel scroll on your hero necro to stop that one super spell that will end the game before you get across the board. I'm not sure why the skeletons have the Gleaming Pennant. That lets you reroll a failed leadership test, not force a reroll on someone that passed it.

Maybe 5 hexwraiths and 3 vargheists? Or 6 vargheists? I like the hexwraiths as a "hope you have magic attacks" unit... In any event, I was planning more to use their Spectral Hunters rule to do hits, not actually get in combat at WS3 (also you're forgetting their 10 mount attacks). In any event, though, I can always cast Danse Macabre. I was contemplating vargheists though, because they look pretty drat nasty.

I know that the necromancer on the cart isn't a great idea, but I feel like it should be ok at 1000 points, and moving the cart to the heroes slot gives me more headroom for hexwraiths or vargheists or whatever.

The banner's in the skeletons because I didn't have a better use of 5 points, and I don't have a BSB in the army, and I'd like to have that one reroll just in case I need it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Radish posted:

I think the problem (at least from a theory hammer point of view) is that the Hexwraiths can't march outside of general range and might have some trouble moving through units unless they move real close. I don't think the mount attacks are going to add up to much (probably an extra wound or two). You might want to proxy them before buying since I'm not sure how they actually work on the table.

I'm not sure if I would take a unit of three Vargheists unless they were there to be warmachine/fast cav hunters. With only T4 and no saves of any kind they are surprisingly fragile and since they are Vampires, they are much harder to raise than other units.

To me I think the list is lacking a little bit of punch. You have your tarpit unit and warmachine hunters, but nothing to really deal with a big unit of elite troops. If you end up against Wood Elves, Demons, anything else with magic attacks or magic heavy armies like High Elves, Dark Elves, or even Dwarves with magic artillery the Wraiths are going to be wasted so filling up 1/3 of your list with them is really risky. I don't know a lot of armies that can't get enough magic attacks together to get through T3 with no armor at least once or twice. I think the way to run ethereal is to spam a lot of smaller units so there are lots of multiple threats that can't be dealt with fast enough rather than a big unit that can be focus fired. That might be hard at 1000 points. I used to run a large unit of wraiths at 2000 back in 7th edition where you could hide in forests and they still ran into issues where sometimes they just never had a chance of getting to combat.

I might be way off the mark though so give them a shot, but I think I wouldn't buy and build them before giving them a go. I REALLY would try to work in the dispel scroll though, especially if you want to use the wraiths.

Looks like I'll just keep considering this for a while. In the meantime, here's 2500 points of Ogres, also:

code:
CORE			
18	Ogres			540	585
	Full Command		30	
	Lichebone Pennant	15	

RARE			
	Stonehorn		250	250

Thundertusk		250	250

SPECIAL			
6	Mournfang Cav.		360	465
	Full Command		30	
	Banner of Swiftness	15	
	Heavy armour		30	
	Ironfists		30	

LORD			
	Slaughtermaster		250	325
	Dispel Scroll		25	
	Armour of Destiny	50	

HEROES			
	Hunter			130	440
	Sword of Striking	15	
	Harpoon Launcher	10	
	Armour of Fortune	35	
	Stonehorn		250	

Bruiser			105	185
	BSB			25	
	Enchanted Shield	5	
	Talism. of Preservation	45	
	Lookout Gnoblar		5	
Only caveat is that I have no idea how the hunter's ward save plays out, as it looks like the only time he'll be taking the ward save is if a shooting attack gets distributed to him. Otherwise, it's the Stonehorn taking the hit (like in CC), and I don't think the wargear applies to the Stonehorn's wounds...

e: So, alternatively, I'd run the Hunter and Bruiser as:

code:
Hunter			130	405
Sword of Striking	15	
Harpoon Launcher	10	
Stonehorn		250	

Bruiser			105	218
BSB			25	
Ironfist		4	
Heavy Armour		4	
Giantbreaker		25	
Dragonhide Banner	50	
Lookout Gnoblar		5	
e2: Obviously, the Thundertusk is there to support the Ogre Deathstar, which is, of course, running six-wide as a horde.

e3: I'm really tempted to drop the Dragonhide Banner and Sword of Striking for Rune Maw and giving the Slaughtermaster an Ironcurse Icon. Or Rampager's Standard, drop Giantbreaker, and give the Slaughtermaster an Obsidian Trinket and Ironcurse Icon, to give him a 2+ ward save against magic (4+ from armor, 3+ from lichbone pennant, 2+ from trinket).

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 31, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My earlier ogre list wasn't legal (not enough core, bulls can't take magic banners), so I whipped this up:

CORE
15 Ironguts, Full Command, Dragonhide Banner 725

RARE
Stonehorn 250

Stonehorn 250

SPECIAL
4 Mournfang Cavalry, Full Command, Heavy armour, Ironfists 310

LORD
Slaughtermaster, Level 4, Grut Sickle, Armour of Destiny 385

HEROES
Hunter, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Enchanted Shield, Other Tricksters Shard, Stonehorn 430

Bruiser, BSB, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Lookout Gnoblar, 150

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Devlan Mud posted:

Ironfists

Bulls and ironguts should either be 6 or as big as you want (I just posted a 15 ironguts list above, which would be 20 bulls if you traded the banner for the brusier's lookout gnoblar). Leadbelchers I like to run one rank 4 wide, and mournfangs same.

Depends on the rest of your list.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm insane and I run a metal level 4 and a shadow level 2 in a megablock of spearmen with a trailing cauldron of blood and have 2+/5++ with either strength buff or toughness debuff

e: I love the Blood Armor/Pendant of Khaeleth combo too

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dark Elves are just brutal with making GBS threads out power dice. Let me throw Final Transmutation on your unit, let you dispel it with your dispel dice, then boom, I'm making GBS threads out 2D3-2 dice, and I have +D6 to cast also because of sacrificial dagger.

I'd play them more, except I hate all of the metal sculpts for the Special choices. Maybe I should figure out a list with Executioners, and then run Dark Eldar Incubi in their place. I've heard Phoenix Guard (with Cold Ones knights' heads) as Black Guard, but I'd have to do something to those wings on their armor skirt.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
5 cairn wraiths as the front rank in a unit of zombies. Comedy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here be some ogres

Tyrant with unit filler:

Slaughtermaster:

BSB:

Tyrant:

Unit filler:

• Locked thread