Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
To continue conversation from the last thread, I almost always preorder the new magic cards with a new army book when they come out because you can flip those on eBay like whoa. Also webway portals, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Flippycunt posted:

Anyone have any tips on where the cheapest place online(US) to buy the new TK army book would be? I've been bidding on them on ebay but so far no luck.

Your best bet is probably warstore, it's impossible to get good deals on eBay for anything remotely new.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Wondermoose posted:

I thinking of getting into Warhammer. I am an old 40k player and recently picked up warmachine, and I have found my favorite play style is to walk up to things and beat their faces in. So I can't decide if I want to play Orcs and Goblins, or Warriors of Chaos. I love Orcs, I think they are hilarious, but Chaos is so badass. I don't have a lot of money to throw away so I thought Chaos would be cheaper because I wouldn't have to buy as many models as Orcs. But I like the how there is more variety in the models for the Orcs.

Simply I cannot decide for myself which of the two I want to play, this has been bothering me for days. So I have decided to have my want to be a unique and special snowflake decide for me. In your guy's experience, which of the two armies is more popular?

Just gonna throw this out here, Chaos and O&G are probably two of three, if not the two, most popular armies.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Manifest posted:

I think the hate they all got was rule based wasn't it?
Those models are fantastic looking.

Rule-based and price-based as well. They've got some nice character.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Radish posted:

Just curious but was this at Blob's Park?

On the topic of army lists I throw mine together on paper and pencil but it you enter into a tournament PLEASE use Army Builder since it's a huge strain on the organizers to sort through lists to see if they are legal when everyone's are in some crazy different format. It's easier to make typos when you are doing all the calculations yourself although it's certainly possibly to make "mistakes" in army builder by altering points values (which someone recently did).

those poor organisers sitting around for an hour and a half while each round goes by with nothing to do :qq:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Corrode posted:

Have just seen the new Wight King BSB from Warhammer Forge: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/VAMPIRE-COUNTS-WIGHT-KING-BATTLE-STANDARD.html

Am definitely pursuing Mousillon army. I hate you, wallet.

Goddamn that is one cool model. Forgeworld has always needed to pursue this type of model more, stuff that's an 100% legal in the armybook option that GW does not make models for. I'd so spring for that if I had a VC army. Unfortunately I just bought some Dark Elves, so I'll just have to wait until they make a badass new manticore or something.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

spacegoat posted:

Holy gently caress this is amazing and will single-handedly get me working on my Orcs and Goblins again.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Got the ogres book and storm of magic for 40% off today :woop:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Bhyo posted:

On another note, bought a Mangler Squig, only had 1 leg in it out of the required 4. What I do have is very nice though.

The local store will have mine in on Friday and I have to admit that I am really looking forward to getting one. It's so cool looking, gently caress the haters.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Miles O'Brian posted:

Skullvane Manse owns bones.

I really want this but holy poo poo 75 bucks. I need to see it in person first.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Not a viking posted:

Don't forget TFR poster I'm a dirty Scandinavian social-democrat who thinks all american gun-owners are inbred rednecks

Don't have to be scandinavian to think that way~

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

I think you guys should play bigger games, honestly. Tomb Kings have a lot of goodies, but they can't do anything at around 500 points.

Nothing in fantasy even remotely works at 500 points.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Oxford Comma posted:

Indeed, and we will pretty soon. But right now the only WHFB units I have are the IoB Skaven, and I'm not 100% sure I want to stick with them so I'm not buying more. Really, 500 points is just to learn the rules of the game. But I'll see if we can find a way to bump it up to 750.

One thing that bothers me, is that the IoB set comes with a Warlord, but don't the WHFB rules say one can only have a Warlord for armies in excess of 2000 points?

That was how it worked in 7th edition, in 8th you can have lords whenever.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Crypt horrors are way cooler than those awful rumours of zombie ogres ridden by zombies.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I've got some simple Ogre questions as far as optimization goes. I'm not really looking to build a tourney list, I just want some quick net list advice before I put things together.

Do people prefer AHW or Ironfists on Bulls?

edit: Also unit sizes in general for things like bulls, ironguts, leadbelchers and mournfangs.

Stonehorn or Thundertusk?

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 30, 2012

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Devlan Mud posted:

I've got some simple Ogre questions as far as optimization goes. I'm not really looking to build a tourney list, I just want some quick net list advice before I put things together.

Do people prefer AHW or Ironfists on Bulls?

edit: Also unit sizes in general for things like bulls, ironguts, leadbelchers and mournfangs.

Stonehorn or Thundertusk?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

New state troops are pretty unlikely. We know there is going to be a plastic General on Griffin/Karl Franz(!) kit, and there's likely to be a War Alter giant monstrosity comboed with some new thing (reportedly a "College of Magic wizardlordmobile"), and probably two or three other kits.

Also the state troops are miles above the old ones in 6th edition, something that can't be said of a several armies core choices. Tomb Kings, High and Dark Elves, I'm looking at you. In a bad way.

edit: ps thanks for the ogre advice bros

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Lookout Gnoblars. Yes? No? Only in units with characters?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

So I'm debating about playing another army and I'd like goon suggestions as to what I should play and currently I'm leaning to Dwarves. Would a dwarf gunline be viable? I wouldn't really like to trundle across the board with 3" movement.

I'm only really interested in armies with a small model count so it'd be easy on the wallet and the paint load.

Literally nobody will play you.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

So I have a three ogre wide unit with full command and an attached character. Who gets to fit in the front rank?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what I should be doing to bring an Ogres army up to 2250-3000? Basically a what's good and what's poo poo in the army book type of thing. I only have right now an Ironblaster that's partially assembled, a butcher with an ironfist slapped on, and a unit of six bulls with command and ironfists. I'm thinking of taking the time to paint them up and make them a playable force while I wait and see how the new edition of 40k is gonna play out, so if I can get some input on what to get that'd be great. I'm not looking to make a super-competitive tournament force, I'd just like to get something together that can hold its own.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Depends on what Ogre models you're getting or your conversion abilitys. You really only need up to 8 Bulls, 4-8 Belchers depending on how shooty you want your list, and 6-16 guts depending on the army/play style you face.

Ogres are pretty cut and dry, one good size unit of Bulls, larger unit or horde size of Guts, small unit of Belchers, two to four Mournfang, one to two Ironblasters, Bruiser with BsB, Slaughtermaster kited out. You can stray off a bit with Maneaters and Sabertusks, but that's pretty much Ogres list building 101.

Just noticed this on the last page, that's moderately helpful. I'd like to note that my local meta, in addition to being 95% really creepy dudes, loves death star units of whatever. Not that I'm guessing I'll play against them often, but I'd really like to have an answer to 40 black orcs with three characters or whatever those chucklefucks think is the best thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I have to say, these rumors about Fantasy exploding are the only thing keeping me from buying some neat Nurgle models, so good job GW at making a self-fulfilling prophecy here, I guess.

• Locked thread