Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Poizen Jam posted:

If weak liberals who lack Machismo can keep a man down despite the divine, omnipotent creators' wishes... He's not very omnipotent is he?
The Good Lord has to give the weak liberals room to do some things, because it is part of His plan to lead Andy to his true calling, bad articles about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Andy added "Best arguments against homosexuality" to the popular articles list. AugustO notices that it only has 300 views and questions if that makes it popular. Conservative unleashes some purestrain crazy in response.

Conservative posted:

Why not expand the entry?

Research shows that the more a culture is pro-homosexuality, the more homosexuality exists within a culture. Second, more males choose to practice homosexuality than females. Thus, many woman who want to marry cannot. Thus, many sad ladies.

Homosexuality is not a victimless offense. Homosexuals are more like to get AIDS. AIDS has caused among other things, child hemophiliacs to die prematurely.

Third, in team sports homosexuality is often frowned upon by players. Homosexuality also causes many diseases. Also, homosexuality is more practiced by atheists (see: Religious Upbringing and Culture Affects Rates of Homosexuality). Atheists have lower sports performance (see: Sports performance: Religious faith vs. atheism). Both homosexuals and atheists have lower fertility rates. Thus, under ceteris paribus (all other conditions remaining equal) conditions (for example, wealth in a culture can produce arrogance/ungodliness), increased ungodliness as far as homosexuality and atheism, produces less Olympic gold. Conservative 09:41, 29 July 2015 (EDT)

Checkmate, homo atheists. :smug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Both homosexuals and atheists have lower fertility rates."
"Well gently caress, I wondered why my boyfriend wasn't getting pregnant." :rolleyes:

Why don't they get rolling on that whole 'if gay marriage, then why not polygamy' thing? Then they can pretend to have more of the spare thin Indian belly dancing ladies.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Duke Igthorn posted:

But does he make it super public? No. And what could be more in line with Biblical teaching than broadcasting your faith in public for all to see and hear?

"Matthew 6:5 posted:

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
I know you are joking, but I've met many religious people who don't know that the bible repeatedly condemns advertising how faithful you are.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Homosexuality is not a victimless offense. Homosexuals are more like to get AIDS. AIDS has caused among other things, child hemophiliacs to die prematurely.
Not for 30 years due to good screening, something that would have been implemented sooner if not for your brain addled jelly bean eating messiah ignoring the problem for so long.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Duke Igthorn posted:

But does he make it super public? No. And what could be more in line with Biblical teaching than broadcasting your faith in public for all to see and hear?

I'm surprised Conservapedia hasn't jumped on Russell Wilson as their new NFL Christian poster boy. He's public about his Christianity and he's actually a decent to elite quarterback depending on who you ask. Instead, the only mention of Russell Wilson on Conservapedia is on Seattle Seahawks/Roster, last updated October of 2014, but for some reason still includes players that weren't on the team in October 2014.

As much as I love crazy Conservapedia, I also enjoy horrendously out of date Conservapedia. The article on the Seattle Seahawks, a team that just played in back-to-back Super Bowls, winning in 2013 and losing on the final play in 2014, has this to say about the Super Bowl:

quote:

The Seahawks lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XL after defeating the Carolina Panthers in the NFC Championship. The Seahawks are the only team to have played in both the AFC and NFC Championship Game.

Two sentences about a game that happened nine years ago.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

I dont know posted:

I know you are joking, but I've met many religious people who don't know that the bible repeatedly condemns advertising how faithful you are.

I decided to look up the Conservative Bible Project version of Matthew 6:5.

quote:

And when you pray, don't be like the hypocrites. They love to pray when standing in the synagogues and in the street corners, so that they may be seen by men. I tell you truly: They will get what's coming to them.

This is generally fine, just kind of modernizing the language, but the last sentence "They will get what's coming to them" completely misses the point. The phrase in every translation I am aware of is something like "they have their reward."

The point is that when you pray, you are praying to God. God sees everything, so don't be ostentatious about it. The only reason to be ostentatious about your prayer is if you want attention and admiration from your fellow man for appearing holy. So, if you pray openly, you get nothing from God, because you already got your reward, attention from other people.

In the Conservative Bible this is lost completely. Rather than being about God being the audience for your prayers, not other people, it's a story about praying to yourself because otherwise God will gently caress you up for some reason. The Conservative Bible does this throughout Matthew 6, changing all of the messages about doing good things privately because God will know, and that's all that matters, into do good things privately because God will get angry otherwise.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Duke Igthorn posted:

Not for 30 years due to good screening, something that would have been implemented sooner if not for your brain addled jelly bean eating messiah ignoring the problem for so long.

There was a lot of pressure to ignore the problem because the fundies were screaming that AIDS was just God punishing the gays. It originated in America among homosexuals because a gay man brought it here and then deliberately spread it. Completely ignoring that it had been a general problem in Africa before that. They were arguing that anybody that got it was secretly gay so gently caress 'em let 'em all die. It was also a convenient way to stigmatize people who had sex with more than one person in their life. For better or for worse that voting block has a lot of influence and when they're screaming "do not fund AIDS research" politicians have no choice but to listen.

Then we found out that transfusions spread it too and that AIDS, being a virus, gave no shits and just hosed you up if you got it no matter who you were. Then people were getting bullied and murdered for having AIDS and we got some high profile straight person AIDS cases and...poo poo changed.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
It's disgusting how stupid politics and social stigma can hold science back sometimes :smith:

The Best (Worst) of Conservapedia : Thus, many sad ladies.

Truly conservative is the whitest of Knights.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It originated in America among homosexuals because a gay man brought it here and then deliberately spread it.

This isn't entirely accurate. Gaetan Dugas was a convenient scapegoat but there were a lot of systemic issues that also lead to its spread.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This isn't entirely accurate. Gaetan Dugas was a convenient scapegoat but there were a lot of systemic issues that also lead to its spread.

Oh I know it wasn't only that but gay men got hit the hardest because they got hit first. To this day most new AIDS cases are still among gay men. Last I heard anyway. Doesn't stop some extreme fundies from still believing that it's God punishing the gays.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh I know it wasn't only that but gay men got hit the hardest because they got hit first. To this day most new AIDS cases are still among gay men. Last I heard anyway. Doesn't stop some extreme fundies from still believing that it's God punishing the gays.

worldwide or in the US because um

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

killstealing posted:

worldwide or in the US because um

U.S. Sorry, I should have specified that.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Not My Leg posted:

I decided to look up the Conservative Bible Project version of Matthew 6:5.

This is generally fine, just kind of modernizing the language, but the last sentence "They will get what's coming to them" completely misses the point. The phrase in every translation I am aware of is something like "they have their reward."

The point is that when you pray, you are praying to God. God sees everything, so don't be ostentatious about it. The only reason to be ostentatious about your prayer is if you want attention and admiration from your fellow man for appearing holy. So, if you pray openly, you get nothing from God, because you already got your reward, attention from other people.

In the Conservative Bible this is lost completely. Rather than being about God being the audience for your prayers, not other people, it's a story about praying to yourself because otherwise God will gently caress you up for some reason. The Conservative Bible does this throughout Matthew 6, changing all of the messages about doing good things privately because God will know, and that's all that matters, into do good things privately because God will get angry otherwise.

One thing I've noticed about fundamentalism in general is that God is always either rewarding you or punishing you. Any action you take, especially a religious action, must either be righteous or wretched. There's no concept of a merely futile action (such as praying in public), or one that is only bad because it distances you from God (e.g. obsessing over money), both of which are fairly common concepts in mainstream Christianity.

I wonder what they would think of Limbo in Dante's Inferno. The people there, mostly unbaptized children and virtuous pagans, are left to their own devices and are not directly punished in any way (some of them even get their own kickass clubhouse!), but they're forever locked out of Heaven, away from God, and they know it - and that's why it's part of Hell.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There was a lot of pressure to ignore the problem because the fundies were screaming that AIDS was just God punishing the gays. It originated in America among homosexuals because a gay man brought it here and then deliberately spread it. Completely ignoring that it had been a general problem in Africa before that. They were arguing that anybody that got it was secretly gay so gently caress 'em let 'em all die. It was also a convenient way to stigmatize people who had sex with more than one person in their life. For better or for worse that voting block has a lot of influence and when they're screaming "do not fund AIDS research" politicians have no choice but to listen.
And? A: bullshit politicians have no choice, all of the most celebrated politicians took a stand against assholes screaming, and B: NONE of that excuses anyone. And if you're not trying to excuse anyone, I'm not sure why you made a big post explaining what I just said just in more detail
"Man, gently caress these assholes that retarded life saving measures."
"Actually it was these particular assholes who did these particular things for these particular reasons."
loving and?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

Barack Hussein Obama: I’d Make An Awesome Third Term President, You Know.[1]

For once a far-right site commenting on this actually noticed the part where the context was Obama acknowledging term limits. Instead this one focused on his approval numbers.

quote:

Comparing Muslims to mosquitoes? Seriously?!? [3]

quote:

Nevertheless, I refer to guest speaker Hussein Rashid, who denied the intensity and frequency of religious violence, citing that Muslims kill a mere 17 Americans per year (surely, not in the year 2001), while mosquitoes kill an average of 750,000. This is the new Moral Inversion, that Sharia law is now moral and mosquitoes immoral. Are we to flick a wrist at jihadists and the growing body count? (According to Muslim historian Firistha, Muslims killed ~400 million Indian people during invasions and occupation of the Indian continent alone, bringing the worldwide total to more than 890 million victims since the birth of Mohammed.)

I don't have the numbers handy but I'm pretty sure that mosquitoes have vastly outperformed a mere 1 billion deaths since then, too. poo poo, if we're at 750k in 2015 then mosqiutoes have outdone that in the 20th century alone.

This is of course a conservativenewsandviews.com writer claiming that a Muslim killing someone is motivated exclusively by Islam. Kind of routine for them at this point.

quote:

A Wikipedia article on Alleged Clinton Controversies is about to be permanently deleted. Read it while you still have the chance. Update: The article is now gone. Here is an archived copy.

Every individual alleged controversy had its own article - and all the ones I checked were still up - or was some bullshit -gate so yeah, worhtwhile deletion.

quote:

Look which candidates rush to appease a donor group that includes pro-homosexual marriage billionaires: Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Scott Walker, and Ted Cruz. [6] Rand Paul reportedly declined the invitation, and perhaps other candidates also declined.

"NO ONE IS PURE ENOUGH FOR MY VOTE!!" *ten minutes later* "WHY AREN'T THERE CANDIDATES FOR MY VOTE?!!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 30, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
It goes without saying that 750k is an approximation of worldwide mosquito deaths, and is probably a significant underestimate. He's not wrong in his general thesis, though, that ISIS ain't got poo poo on big poppa plasmodium.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'd be surprised if the number of deaths ISIS has racked up is even in the same order of magnitude as one strain of mosquito borne disease. It's not a comparison worth entertaining in anything other than in a purely academic sense.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Poizen Jam posted:

If weak liberals who lack Machismo can keep a man down despite the divine, omnipotent creators' wishes... He's not very omnipotent is he?

This is the crazy fundy world where god is both all powerful and all knowing and at the same time weak and clueless

Fathis Munk posted:

It's disgusting how stupid politics and social stigma can hold science back sometimes :smith:

Welcome to all of human history. Hell, there was a time when it was forbidden to medically examine the inners of the human body. We had to wait for the black death to delve into that in order to try and cure the disease

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 31, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

Hillary Rodham Clinton campaign reportedly growing edgy over possible Biden run.[4]

I know edgy means "uncomfortable" in this context but I want to believe the campaign is becoming more like Shadow the Hedgehog.

quote:

Abortion is the real atrocity of which Planned Parenthood is guilty. Whatever else they do, is incidental to that. [5]

Someone at conservativenewsandviews.com suddenly realizes the whole "selling baby parts" story is kind of missing the drat point of being absolutely and uncompromisingly pro-life.

quote:

Donald Trump just picked a conservative "bulldog" as his pick for a future attorney general.[2]

This leads to an article called "BREAKING: Trump Just Announced His Pick For Attorney General… This Is HUGE". It took to the second paragraph for the dramatic name drop. It's Trey Gowdy, the Benghazi committee chairman and the only person with dumber hair than Trump himself.

Andy continues to maintain the Underrated Sports Stars page. StaceyT returned after having left forever to add 5 women athletes to the list. The change is basically reverted with Andy saying "remove athletes promoted by the media".

He then added more men. Eddie Murray and Jim Plunkett. Something in the back of my brain tells me Andy doesn't know what "underrated" means.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

SocketWrench posted:

Welcome to all of human history. Hell, there was a time when it was forbidden to medically examine the inners of the human body. We had to wait for the black death to delve into that in order to try and cure the disease

I know but goddammit, you'd think we'd have it figured out by now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

Conservapedia is under scheduled maintainance. Please try again later. Thank you for your patience.

I just want to say I didn't see any announcement for maintenance yesterday and this is the first time I've seen them have scheduled maintenance.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

That's not entirely true. It was banned in the Roman Empire because of Roman pagan beliefs, but the Catholic Church never banned it so there was no de jure ban after the collapse of the Western Roman Empire. There was a Papal order banning the practice of dismembering corpses and mixing up the body parts of soldiers to more easily transport them home that was sometimes erroneously cited as a ban on medical dissection, but that was it.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
It wasn't even "banned" in the Roman Empire. Greco-Roman doctors were quite able to go delving into the inner workings of the human body; it was viewed as spiritually unclean, but all that meant was that the doctors got slaves to do it instead of doing it themselves. Surgically-skilled slaves were fairly valuable and well-treated in antiquity for that very reason.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The other issue is that once you've goobered around in a body for a while, well...then what? It didn't really take all that many bodies to see that humans had really the same parts inside as other hairy things. This was a time where if somebody was seeing your innards you were hosed anyway because fancy things like blood transfusions, sterilized surgical tools, and related things weren't around yet. One of the reasons there wasn't much going on when it came to surgery was that it just wasn't useful. Procedures had to be done before somebody bled to death if you wanted to do work on somebody alive so there wasn't much for doing long procedures. Even simple ones were still very likely to kill the patient so surgery was just not really all that done.

There also wasn't much reason to analyze dead bodies either because...well what would you do with the information? Autopsies weren't all that useful.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Conservapedia, the broken encyclopedia. Someone's scheduled maintenance didn't have the intended effect.

Anyway you see [3] don there at the bottom right? It's Bradlee Dean!

quote:

If such crimes have already come to the light in the Boy Scouts, one must ask why the radical homosexual lobby is determined to force the BSA to allow homosexuals to infiltrate their organization.

Weird, Dean's using the word "homosexual" instead of "sodomite". Has he started softening his "whiny angry white person" image?

quote:

As one would expect when the doors to sinful behavior are swung open. Sex abuse by leaders in scouting is another tragic consequence (Romans 1:24-27).

Boys who become scouts to receive a healthy, moral upbringing are instead becoming lifetime victims of criminals who prey on children.

Also yes he's acknowledging the existing sex abuse scandals but is arguing that gay scout leaders will make it worse.

quote:

Even worse is the lack of justice these young boys receive. Canada’s epidemic of child sex abuse is largely swept under the rug to protect pederasts.

There has to be a name for this, claiming there's a problem that happens to reinforce your point but also claiming it's been covered up, also something that reinforces your point.

Is there an epidemic? You can't answer that, because it's been covered up!!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Duke Igthorn posted:

And? A: bullshit politicians have no choice, all of the most celebrated politicians took a stand against assholes screaming, and B: NONE of that excuses anyone. And if you're not trying to excuse anyone, I'm not sure why you made a big post explaining what I just said just in more detail
"Man, gently caress these assholes that retarded life saving measures."
"Actually it was these particular assholes who did these particular things for these particular reasons."
loving and?

Because us foreign peoples like more in depth analysis than "loving assholes" because we like knowing how things became screwed up in other places. Chill out.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

First, look at what Conservapedia's front page says about Bill Cosby:

Hollywood Values/Entertainment values further exposed: "I’m No Longer Afraid": 35 Women Tell Their Stories About Being Assaulted by Bill Cosby, and the Culture That Wouldn’t Listen.[19]

Then, look at what their article about Cosby says.

"Cosby is highly regarded amongst conservatives who feel the same way."

Not that anyone at Conservapedia supports or endorses the use of narcotics to facilitate rape, though.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

quote:

If such crimes have already come to the light in the Boy Scouts, one must ask why the radical homosexual lobby is determined to force the BSA to allow homosexuals to infiltrate their organization.

I'd say no more than the leaders of your religion want pedophiles to infiltrate your church leadership

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

The Mainstream Media tried to tag Donald Trump as "Birther". There's just one problem: Barack Obama never did satisfy the people on that account, or about his school records, did he? [1]

There's some sweet succor in Conservapedia seeing Trump's birther status get mocked and them attempting to make the birther case in 2015.

quote:

How weak is Hillary Clinton as a Dem candidate for president? So weak that Joe Biden's associates are saying he might run. [2]

You know that other headline, the edgy one? It's at ten. Here's the same thing again.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I'm not sure what conservapedia's definition of birther is, but they're denying it while claiming the whole birther manifest. Sometimes I wonder if the sit isn't like an elaborate poe because this poo poo is just retardedly stupid

also, doesn't the Republican party have like 16 candidates right now? I mean if Hilary's weak because Biden, then....well...Republican's must be falling apart

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SocketWrench posted:

I'm not sure what conservapedia's definition of birther is, but they're denying it while claiming the whole birther manifest. Sometimes I wonder if the sit isn't like an elaborate poe because this poo poo is just retardedly stupid

also, doesn't the Republican party have like 16 candidates right now? I mean if Hilary's weak because Biden, then....well...Republican's must be falling apart

No see because the liberal media is intentionally dividing republicans by not focusing on the REAL conservatives and muddling the issue while making democrats look strong and uniform.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SocketWrench posted:

Let's be completely fair here, 10-12 of those are going to vanish after a few debates. Really, the GOP's got Trump, Walker, and Jeb. Trump's got about 21% of votes in opinion polls, Jeb and Walker each have about 13%, and the rest is divvied out into chunks of less than 7% for the rest of the menagerie. (source is wikipedia)

Realistically, the democrats have Clinton, Sanders and Biden. Clinton's getting about 57-58% in opinion polls, Sanders 18%, and Biden's got 12%. (Source also wikipedia)

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 3, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

Why do even legislators find a lion poaching story more urgent than trafficking in human body parts from abortions? [3]

I want to be one of those internet adage coiners, a professional quote-maker if you would. Conservapedia's Irony: the more one insists a story is the biggest scandal yet, the less likely I am to care.

quote:

Warnings about a nuclear Iran appeared as far back as seven years ago. [6]

"They've been saying Any Day Now for seven years... perhaps that Any Day is Now?!?!"

quote:

Watch as Sheikh Preaching Radical Islam to Young Children Is Unexpectedly Interrupted by Bold Bystander.[2]

The wording makes it sound like the interruption was by a person named Bold Bystander.

But we all know that his name was Albert Einstein.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

That's Marine Sergeant Commander Chief Albert Einstein, tyvm :colbert:

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

He then added more men. Eddie Murray and Jim Plunkett. Something in the back of my brain tells me Andy doesn't know what "underrated" means.

Read this as Eddie Murphy. Was disappointed.

"They've been saying Any Day Now for seven years... perhaps that Any Day is Now?!?!"

Seven years? Get on your game Conservapedia. People have been talking about Iran wanting nuclear weapons for decades. Here's a cartoon from 2003 (stolen from Rorus' not particularly active Any Day Now Tumblr).

Of course, even before we were afraid of Any Day Now we were happy about Any Day Now.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Oh how the times have changed.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

Why does Barack Hussein Obama make policies so disastrous to America and also to historical Judaism and to Israel? Maybe because he sympathizes with Muslims. [1]

Cold Feet, Vol. I lost count. Could this guy, who we have for years insisted is a Muslim that harbors no deeper desire than to destroy Israel... be sympathetic to Muslims?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I actually got to hear a coworker tonight rack off about Obama being a muslim because he did nothing to stop that guy that shot up the army base recently, but he's all for banning Confederate flags.

Tried explaining hindsight and government observation, but no, Obama has to be a muslim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well he is named hussein and also not white. I dunno man it's hard to believe he would not pray to a moon God.

• Locked thread