Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just recently switched to a limited data plan so I could do Edge because I like getting new phones more than I like having a lot of data and I wasn't using enough to justify it. So, if it is a big thing to you, do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Other carriers offering to buy out customers' ETFs? Then change the ETF policy to stick it to the other carriers.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/14/verizons-new-early-termination-fee-policy-makes-you-pay-a-full-etf-up-to-8-months/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kitten smoothie posted:

Other carriers offering to buy out customers' ETFs? Then change the ETF policy to stick it to the other carriers.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/14/verizons-new-early-termination-fee-policy-makes-you-pay-a-full-etf-up-to-8-months/

Yeah. Doesn't really affect me because I'm not likely to enter a contract again for subsidized pricing, but poo poo like this really needs to be investigated.

You have to pay an ETF because they are giving you a discount on a device to enter into the contract. Part of your monthly service fee is going towards paying that discount down. If the first x months of service are not paying the ETF down, then those months of service should be discounted further.

Device subsidy really needs to be split out as it's own line item in the bill. Otherwise, carriers can pull poo poo like this which is really saying that service cost is variable over the term of the contract and that the first x months of service are more expensive.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I thought there was a big FTC settlement with all the carriers maybe 5 or 6 years back regarding this anyway, because for a while it would've been 100% of the ETF even if you canceled at month 23, day 29.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

I thought there was a big FTC settlement with all the carriers maybe 5 or 6 years back regarding this anyway, because for a while it would've been 100% of the ETF even if you canceled at month 23, day 29.

I believe there was, but there's probably a tiny tiny loophole that they are exploiting here which makes it ok.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.
Looking for some plan management help.

I currently have an archaic family plan - Nationwide Talk & Text 1400 with 3 smartphones, and 2 basic phones. The 3 smartphones each have 2gb of data, and the basic phones don't use any. Right now our bill is $251.94 a month, with a 20% Access Discount.

I am finally ready to ditch the 2 basic phones, and with that I figure there is probably a more modern plan that would suit our needs better, and hopefully bring the cost down.

Is a More Everything plan our best option? Are there even other options? We'd just have the 3 smartphones at that point.

The last time that I talked to a rep about this all we went over everything for close to an hour and in the end he said he couldn't come up with a better plan/price than what we were currently paying, but at that point I was still keeping the 2 basic lines.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
You could do Unlimited Talk + Text and 10GB data shared with 3 smartphones for $200 + tax.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I have a grandfathered unlimited plan that I've been holding onto with a death grip. I'm not even on contract anymore. Lately I've hardly been using any data at all and it feels silly to be paying almost $80 a month when I could pay less than half that elsewhere. So I think it's time to let it go. Is it possible to transfer it to someone else, or do I have to just let it die?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

HondaCivet posted:

I have a grandfathered unlimited plan that I've been holding onto with a death grip. I'm not even on contract anymore. Lately I've hardly been using any data at all and it feels silly to be paying almost $80 a month when I could pay less than half that elsewhere. So I think it's time to let it go. Is it possible to transfer it to someone else, or do I have to just let it die?

There was a thing where you could swap to the 6GB plan for $30 a month, you might want to go to a corp store and ask them what your best deal is.

PS - Factory reset fixed my speakerphone/call answer issue on the Turbo.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

kensei posted:

There was a thing where you could swap to the 6GB plan for $30 a month, you might want to go to a corp store and ask them what your best deal is.

PS - Factory reset fixed my speakerphone/call answer issue on the Turbo.

It sounds like that's just if you want to sign up for Edge and doesn't include minutes or anything? So I'd still be paying the same amount I think. I don't care about free phones/switching phones every 6 months so Edge is useless to me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

HondaCivet posted:

It sounds like that's just if you want to sign up for Edge and doesn't include minutes or anything? So I'd still be paying the same amount I think. I don't care about free phones/switching phones every 6 months so Edge is useless to me.

There was an unpublished deal that basically kept everything about your plan the same, but instead of unlimited data for $30/month you got a 6GB data bucket for the same price. Verizon was only letting people have it if they were giving up unlimited and going into a new 2 year agreement with a discounted phone.

Since your plan was the same, just that your $30 bought you 6GB instead of unlimited, you'll still be paying the same price. If your goal is to in fact pay less, you're probably better off looking elsewhere.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife and I just switched to a nationwide unlimited talk and text with 2 GB of data a piece. It is $120 a month or so.

I just saw a commercial for Verizon where you can get 2 smartphones plans with 10 GB a month on the Edge set up. It is $110 a month. Is that a better deal than the one we currently have or am I missing something that makes this less of a good deal?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife and I just switched to a nationwide unlimited talk and text with 2 GB of data a piece. It is $120 a month or so.

I just saw a commercial for Verizon where you can get 2 smartphones plans with 10 GB a month on the Edge set up. It is $110 a month. Is that a better deal than the one we currently have or am I missing something that makes this less of a good deal?

The edge plan is a phone payment plan, so add $25-30 per phone per month.

On the current plan, More Everything, smartphones are $40 each, this month had a promotional plan where the ten gig plan is $80. On edge, with 10 gigs of data, you get a $25 discount per phone. $80 + $80 = $160, $50 = $110.

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas
Is there a way to get this piece of poo poo on my plan without losing my unlimited data? Verizon is telling me no and that I need a corporate plan.

http://www1.good.com/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

calmasahinducow posted:

Is there a way to get this piece of poo poo on my plan without losing my unlimited data? Verizon is telling me no and that I need a corporate plan.

None that I know of. They do that for Exchange access too last I checked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Exchange access works just fine without anything special on a Verizon plan.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bull3964 posted:

Exchange access works just fine without anything special on a Verizon plan.

Yeah no issues for me either, when I had unlimited or now.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Oh, then obviously my information is dated as hell. Circa 2006-2011 I had phone admin responsibilities attached to my usual IT day job and Verizon was very much into the "you need corporate data plan for Exchange and Good stuff" strategy.

Good is garbage anyway. Never liked it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Even that info is out of date because I've been using exchange on verizon on a normal everyday dataplan since 2009 when I got my first smartphone.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Surprisingly enough we ended up getting the full $200 trade in credit for trading in my wife's iPhone 4 towards her new 6. I fully expected a big battle to get the full amount.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Falco posted:

Surprisingly enough we ended up getting the full $200 trade in credit for trading in my wife's iPhone 4 towards her new 6. I fully expected a big battle to get the full amount.

Same here. I checked 2 days ago and they both still said "Not Received", and then yesterday I get the email that both gave the full $200 rebate. So all you Verizon Recycling F5'ers out there, don't lose hope!

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
Has anyone signed up for edge at the Apple Store? Can you transfer upgrades from one line to another to do so? I tried at best buy but they were only able to transfer the upgrade to do a new 2 yr contract and not the edge pricing.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
So the droid turbo is a pretty awesome device except for the hiss in the headphone jack. Surprisingly ATT service at my house is much better than Verizon. I want to keep the device but cancel the verizon service. If I cancel service before the 14 day period, does anyone know if I'll be charged the full amount for the phone or just the ETF?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh, then obviously my information is dated as hell. Circa 2006-2011 I had phone admin responsibilities attached to my usual IT day job and Verizon was very much into the "you need corporate data plan for Exchange and Good stuff" strategy.

Good is garbage anyway. Never liked it.

Coming in late with this, but I didn't really see it addressed.

Verizon will tell you that you NEED the "Enterprise Data Plan" add-on in order to use Exchange services. This is mostly untrue, as the functionality is there with any data plan and works just fine out of the box. If you call for support, you'll be hosed, but Exchange is one of those things that "just works" as long as the connection is good (from the phone standpoint).

Good is an entirely different animal, and one that Verizon loves dearly, as they run their security on special ports that are outside the normal range of what Verizon uses (or VZW made a deal to block those ports specifically, I haven't dug into it that far). So rather than a gullible tax for people who want to use Exchange on their personal phones, Good creates a corporate tax which has the only real benefit of opening a few ports.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

DanManIt posted:

Has anyone signed up for edge at the Apple Store? Can you transfer upgrades from one line to another to do so? I tried at best buy but they were only able to transfer the upgrade to do a new 2 yr contract and not the edge pricing.

You can't transfer edge, no.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

calmasahinducow posted:

If it doesn't work on the standard $29.99 unlimited you can call CS and change to the corporate $44.99 unlimited data plan (usually feature code 71764 but it is sometimes different for Blackberrys).

They'll fill out an Inactive Pricing Request and it should get changed over within a few days. There is a tiered $45.00 corporate plan for 2GB CS can put in straight away but that means you lose unlimited so don't accept that if it gets offered.

If you need to go from the corporate back to standard same process of calling for the request.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
edit: nvm

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 24, 2014

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Does anyone know if Verizon's black friday deals will be available online? I want to grab a Note 4 but I really don't want to deal with all the black friday bullshit.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

And are all the black friday deals exclusive to new line activations? And if something like the Moto X is discounted to "free" does that translate to a cheaper price if you buy the phone outright?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I decided that I really want to avoid paying full price up front for a new phone, so I'm going to be dumping my unlimited plan. I'm currently on a family plan, what is the best option for lots of data (maybe 10GB) and the ability to upgrade to a phone next winter? Can the Apple store give me the same discounts/plans that a Verizon store can? Which is the better place to buy a 6 plus from? Will I save money if I just suck it up and pay full price now and sell it a year from now?

edit: We're currently on Nationwide Tlk&txt Share 1400

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 26, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

2013 Moto X Dev edition 32gb for Verizon is only $219 on ebay right now, new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNLOCKED-Motorola-MOTO-X-Developer-Edition-32GB-4-2-Verizon-GSM-XT1060/221615904795

Perfect phone for off contract purchase since Verizon's Moto G is gimped.

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009
Is it possible to change some lines to a shared data plan while keeping unlimited data on one? I have 4 lines, one with unlimited and 3 with tiered data on the nationwide talk and text plan. Is there a way to move 3 of the lines to more everything so that they can share data, while keeping the other on unlimited data?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Tom Steele posted:

Is it possible to change some lines to a shared data plan while keeping unlimited data on one? I have 4 lines, one with unlimited and 3 with tiered data on the nationwide talk and text plan. Is there a way to move 3 of the lines to more everything so that they can share data, while keeping the other on unlimited data?

No, unfortunately.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Looks like Verizon's black friday deals are up, tempted to dump my unlimited data finally for a 'free' z3v. Don't use it as much anymore and I'm sure they'll come up with some new way to scam it out of me soon enough.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Stanos posted:

Looks like Verizon's black friday deals are up, tempted to dump my unlimited data finally for a 'free' z3v. Don't use it as much anymore and I'm sure they'll come up with some new way to scam it out of me soon enough.

I just upgraded and lost my unlimited data, but they let me have 6gb for $30/mo (the same price I was paying for unlimited). I only use ~2gb a month anyway.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I get my phones comped, was seriously looking at the Z3V because holy poo poo it looks amazing. Anyone having any issues with theirs?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I got one today since I was out for another deal anyway. I don't have a ps4 so I can't comment on that but I like the feel of mine so far. I was kicking the tires on it a few weeks ago and $200 off was enough to make me bite. Sparse on the cases it seems which kind of worries me since the phone feels...fragile? It could just be because I've always had a case for my smartphones but I've been ginger with it so far. Nice camera, probably not as nice as the compact which I haven't played with yet.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010
Any idea if there will be a deal Monday that's better than the current $100 off all smartphones? Looking for the best deal on a Note 4.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
What "$100 off all" were you looking at exactly?

The 2014 Moto X is supposed to be $140 off through the moto store, and I remember t-mo started selling the Note 3 a couple days ago for like $417 for the next week, don't recall anything else significant though. After tons of research and hemming and hawing I'd almost settled on a Note 4 myself but I think a ~$350 2014 X is probably worth the compromise unless I can find a Note 4 for like $600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Straker posted:

What "$100 off all" were you looking at exactly?

The 2014 Moto X is supposed to be $140 off through the moto store, and I remember t-mo started selling the Note 3 a couple days ago for like $417 for the next week, don't recall anything else significant though. After tons of research and hemming and hawing I'd almost settled on a Note 4 myself but I think a ~$350 2014 X is probably worth the compromise unless I can find a Note 4 for like $600.

It is only $100 off with a 2 year contract.

• Locked thread