Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big business man
Sep 30, 2012

kensei posted:

A little birdie tweeted that there are Soak Test invites going to Droid Turbo owners. Lollipop perhaps?

That's what it looks like, or maybe the VoLTE thing (or both?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That would be my guess though it could only be a patch for advanced calling.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
I was able to enable advanced calling 1.0 through my Verizon on my N6, just required a device restart. Haven't tested it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

cuedotcom posted:

I was able to enable advanced calling 1.0 through my Verizon on my N6, just required a device restart. Haven't tested it.

How would one go about this?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

Penguissimo posted:

How would one go about this?

My Verizon -> Change features -> advanced calling 1.0

You need a device that has hardware to support it. If so, enable, restart your device, enjoy HD voice/video calls on LTE

Currently this only works for vzw to vzw voice/video calling. Also if you drop out of an LTE coverage area, say to 3g or 1x, the call will drop.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 10, 2014

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ugh, so upgraded my wife's phone to the turbo and lost her unlimited since whatever, she never uses a lot of data. Suddenly she is somehow using massive amounts of data.

I hate Verizon right now.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

efb

King Burgundy posted:

Ugh, so upgraded my wife's phone to the turbo and lost her unlimited since whatever, she never uses a lot of data. Suddenly she is somehow using massive amounts of data.

Check the thread for the Caller ID thing someone mentioned. If she gets a lot of calls, it might be the issue.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

King Burgundy posted:

From last page (in case anyone else has this problem):

bull3964 posted:

Disable the callerid app and tell Verizon that the callerid bug kept your phone from using WiFi. They should credit back your data. It was mentioned earlier in the android general thread.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

kensei posted:

efb

Check the thread for the Caller ID thing someone mentioned. If she gets a lot of calls, it might be the issue.

Yup, thanks. I just hate that the moment I swap from unlimited we immediately have to deal with this bullshit. I wonder if I can return it and get our unlimited back. It's not worth the hassle to ever have to think about this.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Diztronic case for the Droid Turbo Kevlar is in stock on Amazon. $9.99 :getin:

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I hope it works out, that would stink. May I ask what phone she had before?

Edit: Deleted, best of luck

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I hope it works out, that would stink. May I ask what phone she had before?

Edit: Deleted, best of luck

She was using an incredible 2, which was more than fine for her needs. If she hadn't shattered the screen she'd still be using it.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

King Burgundy posted:

Yup, thanks. I just hate that the moment I swap from unlimited we immediately have to deal with this bullshit. I wonder if I can return it and get our unlimited back. It's not worth the hassle to ever have to think about this.

If she can and you'd be interested in a 2013 Moto X, let me know.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

cuedotcom posted:

My Verizon -> Change features -> advanced calling 1.0

You need a device that has hardware to support it. If so, enable, restart your device, enjoy HD voice/video calls on LTE

Currently this only works for vzw to vzw voice/video calling. Also if you drop out of an LTE coverage area, say to 3g or 1x, the call will drop.

It seems like "HD Voice" and video calling are a subset of VoLTE and the only part that requires the other party to be on Verizon and have the feature. The documentation on their website is really vague about it, but it seems like plain old voice calls to anywhere do in fact work over LTE.

After enabling VoLTE on my iPhone 6 I was finally able to make voice calls and simultaneously use data, provided I was on LTE of course. I've been able to use data while calling landlines, even. Before I added this feature and enabled it on the phone, my phone acted like any other Verizon LTE iPhone in that it refused to do simultaneous voice and data.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

King Burgundy posted:

She was using an incredible 2, which was more than fine for her needs. If she hadn't shattered the screen she'd still be using it.

I'm going to throw my MAXX on swappa this weekend if you want 2013 goodness with wireless charging :)

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I am the primary on a standard (not Framily) Sprint account that has three lines on it. My line is out of contract, the other two lines are in contract. I want to port my number to Verizon and leave the other two lines intact with Sprint (in one of the other lines' name). How do I do this? Do I do the transfer of liability on the Sprint side first, then have Verizon port the number, or should I initiate the number port first? Do I need to separate myself into a different Sprint account for however long it takes for the port to occur?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
We just jumped ship from Sprint to Verizon a few months ago. Just got a text message that says we currently have a 4gb per month plan but if we want to upgrade to an 8gb plan with No Strings attached and no contract upgrade/extension to reply yes. And thanks for being loyal customers. What is the deal with this promo?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The deal is you say yes to it and they do it.

saintonan posted:

I am the primary on a standard (not Framily) Sprint account that has three lines on it. My line is out of contract, the other two lines are in contract. I want to port my number to Verizon and leave the other two lines intact with Sprint (in one of the other lines' name). How do I do this? Do I do the transfer of liability on the Sprint side first, then have Verizon port the number, or should I initiate the number port first? Do I need to separate myself into a different Sprint account for however long it takes for the port to occur?

Just bring your account number, phone number, and any applicable PIN/password to the Sprint account in to Verizon and let them do the rest, then have whoever is taking over the Sprint account do the AOL.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

FordPRefectLL posted:

The deal is you say yes to it and they do it..

Thanks!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

FordPRefectLL posted:

Just bring your account number, phone number, and any applicable PIN/password to the Sprint account in to Verizon and let them do the rest, then have whoever is taking over the Sprint account do the AOL.

That's what I'll do, thanks. Is there any benefit to doing the AOL before porting my line?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

There isn't a benefit but there's plenty that can go wrong.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Ceros_X posted:

We just jumped ship from Sprint to Verizon a few months ago. Just got a text message that says we currently have a 4gb per month plan but if we want to upgrade to an 8gb plan with No Strings attached and no contract upgrade/extension to reply yes. And thanks for being loyal customers. What is the deal with this promo?

This promotion is new to me. Fordprefectll, do you know the details? Is this random, loyalty, new customer, some other qualification behind the scenes, or does Verizon have a new promo where the 8 gig plan is lowered to the 4 gigs price?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It just started going out in the last couple days. Probably random? I don't have any details about it in infocenter so it's anyone's guess. From Reddit;

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 12, 2014

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Can you port your current phone number over to a month to month plan? Cause a monthly plan would appear to save me a boatload of money.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Uh, like port your current under contract number to month to month?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully this is the last time I need to bug the thread, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't putting my unlimited plan at risk.

To keep things short, I live in a rural area and LTE is far and away the best option, in many ways the only option for high speed internet. I have an unlimited plan and subscribe to the $30 mobile hotspot, but using a Pantech Breakout and a Sapido 4G router resulted in crashing our internet any time my wife or I connected an iPhone to our wifi.

Finally, I decided to try a different approach and bought an MBR1515 and dropped the SIM from the Breakout into it. I have zero complaints about its performance, it works with the iPhones and maintains a connection better than the previous setup. My only real concerns are that I cannot receive texts on the router (to that end, I have blocked incoming texts to that line) and that we may be leaning too hard on our unlimited plan.

Last month, our usage was around 100GB and looks to be on track for the same this month and any month we do a lot of television streaming. I was curious, are there any others in a similar situation, and have you ever received warnings or other action from Verizon on overuse of data plans? As I stated before, we don't really have any other options, so if given the choice between unlimited and streaming, I would stop streaming in order to keep my plan. If I can have both, however, streaming is a good way to save money on entertainment.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004
My dad is in a very similar situation (rural area with poo poo internet and an unlimited plan) and my mind was blown when I checked the account and saw he's cruising through 120+ gigs a month. They've never said a word, so maybe they just don't care that a few edge case users are leaning hard on towers that probably aren't getting used much as it is.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
Whomever gets that data probably doesn't care. It is impressive to me if someone is using that kind of data.

In all honesty, bandwidth isn't exactly scarce. So 120GB a month in a rural area is nothing. Since the towers probably have a tiny fraction of traffic as compared to a large town/city.

Enjoy I say.

Also, since signal is line of sight, if they are bored, hold their phone up to windows and see which one is best and leave it there...depending on how your phone handles the hotspot, you just increased your speed/stability. Some phones measure the signal more in depth than bars and you can figure out which direction the tower is in.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

NofrikinfuN posted:

Hopefully this is the last time I need to bug the thread, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't putting my unlimited plan at risk.

To keep things short, I live in a rural area and LTE is far and away the best option, in many ways the only option for high speed internet. I have an unlimited plan and subscribe to the $30 mobile hotspot, but using a Pantech Breakout and a Sapido 4G router resulted in crashing our internet any time my wife or I connected an iPhone to our wifi.

Finally, I decided to try a different approach and bought an MBR1515 and dropped the SIM from the Breakout into it. I have zero complaints about its performance, it works with the iPhones and maintains a connection better than the previous setup. My only real concerns are that I cannot receive texts on the router (to that end, I have blocked incoming texts to that line) and that we may be leaning too hard on our unlimited plan.

Last month, our usage was around 100GB and looks to be on track for the same this month and any month we do a lot of television streaming. I was curious, are there any others in a similar situation, and have you ever received warnings or other action from Verizon on overuse of data plans? As I stated before, we don't really have any other options, so if given the choice between unlimited and streaming, I would stop streaming in order to keep my plan. If I can have both, however, streaming is a good way to save money on entertainment.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
I know a few people who use their phone for their home internet connection without paying for tethering and typically use 100-200GB of data with no problem. You're paying for tethering, so you should be completely in the clear since you're just using what you pay for.

They backed down on the plan to throttle unlimited data customers and I've never heard of them dumping someone for tethering too much with unlimited, I think at this point there aren't that many of us left and they know they're not going to subsidize phones for us, so they just let it slide.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
A question for people that work for Verizon. I ordered a galaxy note 4 without a plan from the preorder portal. I then received an email to contact the fraud prevention. When I called them, they asked me for my social security number and ss card. In fact, they insisted on me faxing over the card too. I told them I didn't feel comfortable handing over my ss number especially there was no plan involved and the phone was purchased outright. I asked them to cancel the order and asked for a confirmation email and they said there is no confirmation email. It's been about 6 hours and order status on the website still says in process. Did someone just try to phish me or is this verizon SOP?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

lostleaf posted:

A question for people that work for Verizon. I ordered a galaxy note 4 without a plan from the preorder portal. I then received an email to contact the fraud prevention. When I called them, they asked me for my social security number and ss card. In fact, they insisted on me faxing over the card too. I told them I didn't feel comfortable handing over my ss number especially there was no plan involved and the phone was purchased outright. I asked them to cancel the order and asked for a confirmation email and they said there is no confirmation email. It's been about 6 hours and order status on the website still says in process. Did someone just try to phish me or is this verizon SOP?
Call Verizon customer support directly and ask them if the number you were told to call is legitimate.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
So I got a phone on edge. First edge. It says I can edge up after my balance is below X. X is 75% of the full retail.

So according to my edge agreement I can edge up after 25%. What is weird is that there is a edge payment meter that fills up with each payment. The edge indicator on that one is 75%. But in text, 3 other places it says after my balance is under 75%. Anyone else confirm this? Ill find out in a month either way...

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

So I got a phone on edge. First edge. It says I can edge up after my balance is below X. X is 75% of the full retail.

So according to my edge agreement I can edge up after 25%. What is weird is that there is a edge payment meter that fills up with each payment. The edge indicator on that one is 75%. But in text, 3 other places it says after my balance is under 75%. Anyone else confirm this? Ill find out in a month either way...

You're reading it wrong or something. You can edge up after (currently) 75% of your device is paid off, which automatically happens in 18 months.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
Oops, I mean I am a verizon employee...

The employee editions is 499.99.

Seems perfectly clear but there is a "meter" that tracks your payments and that is positioned at the 75% mark...which goes against everything else. I asked some coworkers but no one has used edge yet. So I am in new territory and don't care enough to call.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 19, 2014

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I ordered my 6 a while back, got my "submission ID" for trading in my 4s (quoted $200), and I'm still waiting for my shipping envelope. I talked to them on the phone over a month ago, where a real nice guy said "yes sir, we'll ship that out to you right away, we're sorry you never got it - and we'll give you until the end of December to get it back to us." Three weeks go by, and nothing. So I email them, and I hear back from support@online.trade-in.vzw.com: "We are very sorry for the difficulty and frustration caused by this process of not receiving your shipping materials..." etc. "We're shipping it out right away," they say "you'll get it in two weeks." That was three weeks ago. Now it's the end of December and it's pretty clear I'm getting nothing but runaround on all this. I just need to send the loving phone back - they act like it's some kind of space-age envelope they're sending me, but I'm pretty confident I could ship this drat thing myself without it busting into a million pieces.

What options do I have? I emailed them last week, but I haven't heard back.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

I ordered my 6 a while back, got my "submission ID" for trading in my 4s (quoted $200), and I'm still waiting for my shipping envelope. I talked to them on the phone over a month ago, where a real nice guy said "yes sir, we'll ship that out to you right away, we're sorry you never got it - and we'll give you until the end of December to get it back to us." Three weeks go by, and nothing. So I email them, and I hear back from support@online.trade-in.vzw.com: "We are very sorry for the difficulty and frustration caused by this process of not receiving your shipping materials..." etc. "We're shipping it out right away," they say "you'll get it in two weeks." That was three weeks ago. Now it's the end of December and it's pretty clear I'm getting nothing but runaround on all this. I just need to send the loving phone back - they act like it's some kind of space-age envelope they're sending me, but I'm pretty confident I could ship this drat thing myself without it busting into a million pieces.

What options do I have? I emailed them last week, but I haven't heard back.
At this point probably call them again. They just released a new 800 number although it should route to the same place: 877-247-3846 or 877-835-2024 .

I would make absolutely sure that the address they have for you is correct. That sounds like the most likely cause for you not getting your label.

The shipping address for the Device Recycling Program isn't published anywhere online or in my internal stuff that I can find. Since they get thousands of phone per day they probably need the special label to route it correctly. I wouldn't advise shipping on your own or it could get lost.

Do NOT send it to the Central Returns Warehouse or it will vanish forever.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

lostleaf posted:

Every VZW equipment order goes through some form of fraud checking process. Usually everything is OK and the order goes through but some get flagged for further investigation.

Also if the number you called was 888-483-7200 that is definitely the VZW equipment fraud number. Even if you called some other number I wouldn't worry they may have customer use numbers with specialized call routing that are different from the general number.

The only way this could be phishing is if the phishers knew you just placed an order on our site. I really doubt anyone could know that unless you've got some creepy malware on your PC.

Also order status can take several days to change where you can see it.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I'm out of contract with Verizon (was $100/mo for 2Gb, used about 1.5Gb/mo) and ended up keeping my device and switching to a prepaid Verizon plan ($45/mo + $10/Gb with the same usage).

Was this a good idea? I didn't see the point of paying my contract price anymore.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Bio-Hazard posted:

I'm out of contract with Verizon (was $100/mo for 2Gb, used about 1.5Gb/mo) and ended up keeping my device and switching to a prepaid Verizon plan ($45/mo + $10/Gb with the same usage).

Was this a good idea? I didn't see the point of paying my contract price anymore.

A current single line 2 gig plan is $75/m before taxes. After insurance, taxes, and service fees, yeah, $100. In return for going to prepaid you lost insurance, the Verizon warranty, the ability to upgrade and get a phone for the cheaper price. If that's worth $45 a month then yeah , looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
$45/month x 24 months is almost $1100. He could afford to buy a brand new phone every 2 years, and replace it once with a used one after a year with those savings.

Edit: FWIW, I've been with Verizon for 14 years, never had device insurance, and only broken one phone that was still in contract (Galaxy Nexus, and good riddance to that POS). I feel like device insurance is overrated, since I replaced the phone for around $175 for a used Razr Maxx HD. Fair point on the Verizon warranty, though.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 20, 2014

• Locked thread