Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hey Verizon goons, I may be joining your ranks soon.

Any input on how working at Verizon is? Sales isn't an issue, I always perform well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm going to bring my wife over to Verizon , on an account I also share w/ my mom. I believe my mom signed onto an edge plan for no reason and got a s5, I did the upfront $200 2yr plan for my droid turbo. We have a 6gb shared plan.
When my wife adds her line, should we be doing edge or the 2yr for her iphone 6? I don't trust the edge plan at all.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My Droid Maxx just gave up the ghost. Still have a month and a half before I am eligible for an upgrade, and I wanted to wait to see if there was a good 2015 phone before I bought something new.

What is a cheap phone with LTE that I can get that won't make me want to kill myself. I was looking at the Moto E LTE off of amazon. Several of the reviews say that you can use it on a post pay account even though it is a pre-pay phone. I just want something to get me through the next month or so.

edit: looks like there is a post paid version of the same phone that is only about $10 more expensive on Amazon.
edit 2: gently caress, looks like that version is just the LTE/GSM version and not the LTE/CDMA version...

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 24, 2015

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Moto E LTE works fine, I had to replace my Maxx with one. Just activate it on the MyVerizon website and not in store or over the phone. I liked it better than the Maxx in many ways.

Edit: For clarity, Verizon allows prepaid 4G devices on postpaid accounts and states so in their policies. Reps may not understand that which can cause them to refuse to activate it.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 24, 2015

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

mastershakeman posted:

I'm going to bring my wife over to Verizon , on an account I also share w/ my mom. I believe my mom signed onto an edge plan for no reason and got a s5, I did the upfront $200 2yr plan for my droid turbo. We have a 6gb shared plan.
When my wife adds her line, should we be doing edge or the 2yr for her iphone 6? I don't trust the edge plan at all.

6gb ME gives you 25 dollars a month per edge line in credits. A 16 GB Iphone 6 is like 27.08 per month.

So you'd end up paying under 50 dollars total for the full retail of the phone over 2 years. On a 2 year contract you are still paying the 40 dollar upgrade fee on top of the 199.99.

If you got the 64gb iphone 6 you'd be paying, after the credit, 149.76 out of pocket over 2 years. The 2 year contract price is 299.99 + 40 upgrade fee.

How much you would save doing edge vs a 2 year contract price. (Must be on ME 6gb or greater)
16gb Iphone 6 - 190.07
64gb Iphone 6 - 190.23

It is hard to gauge what your edge payment was with the turbo. I do know with edge when they were at the max price were 24.99. So you would have actually made a profit upgrading to a turbo. Now they are like 20.83 for the 32 gb one. So you would have been paid 4.17 cents each month (25 dollar credit - the edge payment of 20.83). You would have made a profit of 100 dollars from this.

The way this is possible is Verizon doesn't make any profit on devices. We make money on the service. Getting people into phones helps ensure they stay in our service.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 25, 2015

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WeaselWeaz posted:

Moto E LTE works fine, I had to replace my Maxx with one. Just activate it on the MyVerizon website and not in store or over the phone. I liked it better than the Maxx in many ways.

Edit: For clarity, Verizon allows prepaid 4G devices on postpaid accounts and states so in their policies. Reps may not understand that which can cause them to refuse to activate it.

I picked up a prepay E from best buy. Funny thing, Verizon is not allowed to sell service in my area because a regional carrier has a lock on the frequencies they use. Verizon and this carrier have worked out a roaming deal. But the point of that the local Best Buy isn't supposed to sell Verizon phones. I bought the phone online with in store pick up and the manager told me when I got there that it was an inventory error that they even had them in stock

I couldn't swap sims because the maxx used a nano and the E used a mini. And I couldn't active it on the Verizon web site or by dialing *228. But their online support chat got it activated for me in a couple minutes.

This phone is surprisingly nice for $45. It's snappier than my Maxx was, and it has 5.1 already. On the other hand, Screen is smaller and lower res I think, no always listening, no AMOLED, no flash, no wireless charging. But, it will more than work for me until my contact is up and I can get something new.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 25, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

6gb ME gives you 25 dollars a month per edge line in credits. A 16 GB Iphone 6 is like 27.08 per month.

So you'd end up paying under 50 dollars total for the full retail of the phone over 2 years. On a 2 year contract you are still paying the 40 dollar upgrade fee on top of the 199.99.

If you got the 64gb iphone 6 you'd be paying, after the credit, 149.76 out of pocket over 2 years. The 2 year contract price is 299.99 + 40 upgrade fee.

How much you would save doing edge vs a 2 year contract price. (Must be on ME 6gb or greater)
16gb Iphone 6 - 190.07
64gb Iphone 6 - 190.23

It is hard to gauge what your edge payment was with the turbo. I do know with edge when they were at the max price were 24.99. So you would have actually made a profit upgrading to a turbo. Now they are like 20.83 for the 32 gb one. So you would have been paid 4.17 cents each month (25 dollar credit - the edge payment of 20.83). You would have made a profit of 100 dollars from this.

The way this is possible is Verizon doesn't make any profit on devices. We make money on the service. Getting people into phones helps ensure they stay in our service.

Thanks, there's just so much obfuscation and it's absurd.

Like if it's just a simple thing of line costs 40 bucks a month you can do
40*24+200 =1160 over two years
Vs
(40-25+27)*24 = 1008 over two years on edge
So that's not hard to figure at all.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Is my upgrade date my contract end date? Also, if I've traded upgrades with my wife in the past, could our upgrade date vs. contract end date be wonky on Verizon's site?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

New Leaf posted:

Is my upgrade date my contract end date? Also, if I've traded upgrades with my wife in the past, could our upgrade date vs. contract end date be wonky on Verizon's site?

Maybe, maybe not. Look at your online account, each line has an Upgrade Date and Contract End Date. Or call and ask.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My sister keeps trying to call me and getting error messages. I tried calling her and got a message that says "All circuits are busy. Please try your call again later." I called my mom and brother and those calls went through fine; I'm guessing the problem is on her end?

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

I just want to make sure I'm not crazy before I do this but currently the Droid Turbo is available on Edge pricing for ~$21 a month. I'm also on a more everything plan, does that mean that after the data plan credit I'll basically be getting paid $4 a month to take a new phone?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

AK-47 posted:

I just want to make sure I'm not crazy before I do this but currently the Droid Turbo is available on Edge pricing for ~$21 a month. I'm also on a more everything plan, does that mean that after the data plan credit I'll basically be getting paid $4 a month to take a new phone?

I'm not sure about your question, but Motorola just announced a new X today that you might want to wait for.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AK-47 posted:

Gonna use this to add my own question, or rather look for confirmation. I'm thinking you're eligible for the discount right now, even if you don't get a new phone.

Looking at this More Everything page, down near the bottom it shows the same $15/$25 line access discount as the Edge plan when you "[pay] full price or bring your own". Does that mean that if you're on the ME plan and your contract ends, you get the discount as long as you don't buy a new phone? Or do you have to switch your current (originally bought on-contract) phone with another one?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Super Dude posted:

I'm not sure about your question, but Motorola just announced a new X today that you might want to wait for.

You will have to get it direct from Motorola, though. Verizon doesn't offer it.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Gonna use this to add my own question, or rather look for confirmation. I'm thinking you're eligible for the discount right now, even if you don't get a new phone.

Looking at this More Everything page, down near the bottom it shows the same $15/$25 line access discount as the Edge plan when you "[pay] full price or bring your own". Does that mean that if you're on the ME plan and your contract ends, you get the discount as long as you don't buy a new phone? Or do you have to switch your current (originally bought on-contract) phone with another one?

I'm on more everything and out of contract. I had to do an online chat to get the discount applied but yes, I got the discount for being month to month. I have not changed from my original phone.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

More Everything 6GB and higher gets a $25 discount per smartphone line if it is on Edge or out of contract. The discount is $15 for lower than 6GB. The system should automatically attach the appropriate discount when it is available but it's not 100% perfect at doing this so you may have to call CS or online chat like Hdip did.

Basically the only way you're not getting a discount on a More Everything smartphone line is if you are on a contract or have some other loyalty promo discount that interferes with it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well that's good to have confirmed, since I have a couple lines coming out of contract soon.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Sounds like Verizon is getting rid of subsidies

http://9to5mac.com/2015/08/07/verizon-simpler-plans/

Very interesting. Still going to hold onto unlimited though

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Are we getting absolutely fleeced with this new no contract business, or am I misunderstanding?

My monthly plan would be about $20 more with these new numbers AND I now have to pay full price for a phone. I thought the difference for your subsidized phone was slowly paid off via your monthly bill (this could be where I'm very wrong). If phones aren't subsidized anymore, why aren't things getting cheaper?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Dinosaurs! posted:

Are we getting absolutely fleeced with this new no contract business, or am I misunderstanding?

My monthly plan would be about $20 more with these new numbers AND I now have to pay full price for a phone. I thought the difference for your subsidized phone was slowly paid off via your monthly bill (this could be where I'm very wrong). If phones aren't subsidized anymore, why aren't things getting cheaper?

Yeah, I'm stupid and don't understand either. The prices seem mostly the same, except now you pay $20 extra for ~*access*~ or something?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Actually, these new plans are the first time where my bill would go DOWN if I gave up unlimited.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Actually, these new plans are the first time where my bill would go DOWN if I gave up unlimited.
Considering you're already buying devices outright anyway, I suppose that makes sense. Most people on subsidized plans that I see saying "hey this will bring my bill down!" are forgetting to add in amortized device costs or the upfront device cost, whichever they chose.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Considering you're already buying devices outright anyway, I suppose that makes sense. Most people on subsidized plans that I see saying "hey this will bring my bill down!" are forgetting to add in amortized device costs or the upfront device cost, whichever they chose.

Eh, I could save about $10 a month which this which is $240 over a contract term. Moto X 2015 is going to be $399. So, that's $159 difference.

Most flagship phones are at least $199 on contract when new ($199 for both the G4 and GS6). So, even if I was a contract customer, I would save $50 over 2 years.

Edit:

For clarity.

Current plan is $39.99 America's Choice + $29.99 Unlimited + $5 limited text package.

So, $74.98 /month.

I use over 2gb of data (usually between two and 3) so the single line plans are more expensive than that right now. But the 3gb plan for this new scheme is $65 /month.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 7, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
These plans have always worked out that if you can use the device longer than two years, you'll save some cash provided you buy the phone from the carrier. If you source it from somewhere else at a deep discount you can save money as well.

Since you still need to have a Verizon Approved device it isn't as good as the GSM carriers where you can kinda bring anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Since you still need to have a Verizon Approved device it isn't as good as the GSM carriers where you can kinda bring anything.

All you need is a device that's designed to work across all carriers. Right now that means Nexus 6 and the 2015 Moto X but I suspect more will be following suit in the future because it just makes sense from a hardware manufacturing perspective.

Getting a new SIM could be a pain, but both the Nexus 7 and Nexus 6 worked on Verizon long before they were 'approved.' It's more of a SIM provisioning issue than a device compatibility issue.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Any mention of how this may affect a business plan? We have an upgrade or two and I'm wondering if I should burn them before they switch over to these plans.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Am I reading this right? This reads like I'm suddenly going to save about fifty dollars a month for no reason. Not that I'm complaining ...

My service right now is $119 (2 smartphones at $40/month, plus 3GB data at $50 minus 22% employer discount).

Under this new scheme, my bill will be $70 (2 smartphones at $20, plus 3GB data at $30), maybe less assuming my employer discount still applies to some part of it. This is almost too-good-to-be-true, so I assume I'm missing something.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I'm on UL T&T/2 GB for $60 a month, their "unadvertised" retention rate. Basically, this new no subsidies is a complete deep dicking unless I'm going to be able to sign up for a new subsidized contract in a year. All the cost up front, plus the artificially inflated plan price every month.

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Am I reading this right? This reads like I'm suddenly going to save about fifty dollars a month for no reason. Not that I'm complaining ...

My service right now is $119 (2 smartphones at $40/month, plus 3GB data at $50 minus 22% employer discount).

Under this new scheme, my bill will be $70 (2 smartphones at $20, plus 3GB data at $30), maybe less assuming my employer discount still applies to some part of it. This is almost too-good-to-be-true, so I assume I'm missing something.

I believe it's $45 for 3 gig shareable, so you'd be at $85 minus discount. Still, not too bad. You're also plus ~$900 every 2 years for two new phones if you keep a two-year upgrade cadence, which is ~$40/mo.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 7, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

3GB of data is $45, not $30. $30 is 1gb.

Still though, you'll still save a chunk it looks like.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Blinkman987 posted:

I believe it's $45 for 3 gig shareable, so you'd be at $85 minus discount. Still, not too bad. You're also plus ~$900 every 2 years for two new phones if you keep a two-year upgrade cadence, which is ~$40/mo.

Having crunched through all the numbers, including our phones proper, looks like this new plan actually isn't quite as good as I'd thought...

My wife's on a payment plan for her iPhone, and I'll be on one in October (once the old contract is done and this year's new iPhone is out). So we're actually paying $139 now, and it'd be $159 with a second phone (both are about $35 a month, minus the $15 More Everything discount).

So we'd now be at ($85 a month plus $70 for two phones, with no discounts) = $155/month. Still a little bit of savings, but nowhere near as dramatic.

:sigh:

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
If only they managed to give me something between 6 and 12GB, then I'd probably be set. Averaging 2-4GB usage per line with 2 lines, so to be on the safe side, I'd have to go for the 12GB plan. As it stands right now with a 22% employee discount:

$50 - 22% (700 min)
$30 - 22% (unlimited data line 1)
$30 (6GB Max promotion line 2)
$5 - 22% (250 text line 1)
$5 (250 text line 2)
$20 - 2 line access fees
= $121.30

With new plan

$80 - 22% (12GB bucket)
$20 - 22%(maybe?) (line access #1)
$20 (line access #2)
= $98 or $102.40 depending on if the line 1 access fee gets discounted or not
- Also would potentially be useful to be able to add a tablet/smartwatch down the line on the cheap

Hm... so saving about $20 a month. Annoying though, since I haven't used a subsidy since they pulled the plug on keeping unlimited with subsidized upgrades. Though the unlimited and 6GB plans data plans are definitely out of line with their current data pricing, and maybe for people on more recent plans, the savings are greater?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

All you need is a device that's designed to work across all carriers. Right now that means Nexus 6 and the 2015 Moto X but I suspect more will be following suit in the future because it just makes sense from a hardware manufacturing perspective.

If you go to an Apple Store and buy a SIM-free iPhone 6/6+, then that will work on Verizon too. Not so for the 5s and older; this was new for the 6.

The unlocked one they sell is actually the model otherwise used for Sprint, but it supports everyone's CDMA/GSM/LTE networks, and Verizon and Sprint know about its IMEI.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, forgot about the iPhone since I was just thinking Android.

Suffice it to say though, if you are on Verizon, only 3 phones should be on your radar period since subsidizes will be going away.

iPhone6/6+
Nexus 6 (direct from Google)
2015 Moto X

All three are unbranded. All three receive updates out of band from the carrier. All three work on every network in the US.

We've finally hit the mythical point of complete freedom. Please reward the companies that are allowing it to happen.

Carrier branding and influence were the trade-off you made to get subsidized hardware. That perk isn't there anymore, there's no reason to buy your phone at the Verizon store moving forward. There's no reason to relinquish that control anymore. Let Samsung, LG, and HTC know that you want and will buy a universal unbranded device only.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 7, 2015

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, I'm stupid and don't understand either. The prices seem mostly the same, except now you pay $20 extra for ~*access*~ or something?

That $20 access fee is replacing the current $40 fee. Unless you're on 6 GB or more of data, you're pretty much guaranteed to be saving money. With more than 6 it depends.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Considering the plans and my intention to roll over to Verizon should i roll over now or after the new plans come into effect? I will be looking to roll into a iPhone 6 and a 6GB plan.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

bull3964 posted:

Carrier branding and influence were the trade-off you made to get subsidized hardware. That perk isn't there anymore, there's no reason to buy your phone at the Verizon store moving forward. There's no reason to relinquish that control anymore. Let Samsung, LG, and HTC know that you want and will buy a universal unbranded device only.

Yeah, if I can buy a device and get LTE speeds with any carrier (at least in the US), I'm all in. Telecoms are an rear end in a top hat of a cartel with fixed pricing, but I'd still prefer the little bit more freedom I'd have under that system than what we have now.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I just checked my account to see when my contract is up and I have a buttload of those verizon points. Is there anything actually cool and/or useful I can get with them?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So does this mean that the new plans are no longer 2 year contracts?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

metachronos posted:

I just checked my account to see when my contract is up and I have a buttload of those verizon points. Is there anything actually cool and/or useful I can get with them?

Very unlikely. It's almost entirely just lovely coupons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Yeah, I'm actually half considering dropping unlimited and getting my wife on a family plan with me on Verizon. Right now, I pay $70 (after tax and employee discount) for my 450 minute line, 1000 texts, and unlimited data. She is on ATT right now.

I could get her on there with the 12GB plan, and be paying $60/device pre-tax pre-employee discount. And get unlimited talk/text.

Tempting, at least.

• Locked thread