Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

When they say "Unlimited Data Features" does that also include the hotspot feature, or just the $30 data plan?

That may actually tip the balance into the XXL or the XXL+1 plan being a better buy for me.
The 29.99 unlimited is changing to 49.99. No hotspot features are changing price. Old Alltel plans and other plans where unlimited data is built-in are not impacted. Customers with a corporate discount where the data plan price is part of the discount contract are not impacted. The corporate / Blackberry 44.99 unlimited is probably not changing price. I'm actually seeking clarification on that at the moment.

Word on the street 44.99 is going to 64.99 even though official internal documentation doesn't reflect that yet. There's also apparently a weird strange 39.99 unlimited plan that will change to 59.99.

There are some reports where old Alltel plans with non-built in 29.99 data plans are not getting the change message in bill inserts and emails right now but they will probably get audited and changed after the main conversion is done.

What I mean by 'built-in' is where you have an Alltel SmartPack 40.00 line cost that includes the unlimited data. Some Alltel plans have a 9.99 line cost and a 29.99 feature. Those will probably eventually be converted.

GUYS STOP fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Bleh, early Black Friday deals are out and every phone deal I can find is installment, not subsidy - besides the Sam's Club one this week.

edit: Target seems to be doing the free Galaxy S6 on subsidy thing, so that may be my best option.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 14, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cool. So long as the unlimited hotspot feature is staying put at current pricing, then I'll stay put on my unlimited too.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Anyone know why I'm getting these text messages instead of voicemail notifications?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Super Dude posted:

Anyone know why I'm getting these text messages instead of voicemail notifications?

The goofy text message is how they signal the Visual Voicemail app to know you've got new voicemails. Do you have the app installed?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

kitten smoothie posted:

The goofy text message is how they signal the Visual Voicemail app to know you've got new voicemails. Do you have the app installed?

I'm not installing anything made by Verizon on my 6p. I just switched it over to use Google Voice for voicemail instead. Free visual voicemail!

Can the Watch Urbane 2 LTE receive calls with the same number as my cell phone so I can pick it up with either device even if I'm away from my phone?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 12, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I used to have Verizon for my wireless number, then I ported it to Google Voice because it was a really sweet number and I was moving to a grandfathered unlimited data ATT plan. But after moving I've been getting the most :psyduck: calls, a good portion of them being from fax machines.

I'm getting maybe 5-6 a day, and the worst part is that they all leave "voicemails" if I don't pick up so it's cluttering my GV. They are coming from more or less every state in the country, which helps me filter which is legit and which isn't. I'm like 55% sure that it's something on Verizon's side, like after porting my number it became unbound or something. I have no clue on how to approach this and I haven't even tried interacting with the clusterfuck that is Verizon support. Any thoughts?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I bought my wife an iphone 6s plus today. She's coming from a 5s. I don't think that has a sim card in it (is this wrong?), so do I just go to Verizon to get a sim card?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

wandler20 posted:

I bought my wife an iphone 6s plus today. She's coming from a 5s. I don't think that has a sim card in it (is this wrong?), so do I just go to Verizon to get a sim card?

They should both use nanosims. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202645

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ok, that's what I thought. She didn't know where the SIM card slot was. Thanks.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I just tried toggling the hotspot option on my Nexus 6P, and it turned on with no problems. On previous phones it always gave me an error message saying tethering wasn't included in my plan (unlimited data). Is Verizon going to charge me if I start using it even though I didn't get the warning message?

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas
So I haven't really checked into this thread for a while but like some others I have an unlimited data plan and I just noticed the price was going up. I'm not really happy about the price increase but I don't really use the unlimited data that much (exceptions are when the Army sends me somewhere lovely and I have to tether).

So here's my plan (critique this):
Get a Nexus 6P with Project Fi. Port my number over.
Sell my UDP for ~$600.
Try out Project Fi and keep it. Sell my LG G3 for ~$170

OR

Sign up for 2 year contract through Best Buy with Verizon. Port my number from Project Fi.
Get a subsidized phone from Best Buy and sell it on eBay for $350. Keep using my G3 for 2 more years.
Switch the Verizon plan over to my corporate plan which is $35/5GB.
Return the 6P to Google for full refund.

Any potential downsides to the second plan?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

GUYS STOP posted:

Customers with a corporate discount where the data plan price is part of the discount contract are not impacted.

How do I see if my corporate discount falls under this? I get a 8% discount through work and when they ran the numbers all the other plans will cost the exact same or more if I switch plans.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

calmasahinducow posted:

So I haven't really checked into this thread for a while but like some others I have an unlimited data plan and I just noticed the price was going up. I'm not really happy about the price increase but I don't really use the unlimited data that much (exceptions are when the Army sends me somewhere lovely and I have to tether).

So here's my plan (critique this):
Get a Nexus 6P with Project Fi. Port my number over.
Sell my UDP for ~$600.
Try out Project Fi and keep it. Sell my LG G3 for ~$170

OR

Sign up for 2 year contract through Best Buy with Verizon. Port my number from Project Fi.
Get a subsidized phone from Best Buy and sell it on eBay for $350. Keep using my G3 for 2 more years.
Switch the Verizon plan over to my corporate plan which is $35/5GB.
Return the 6P to Google for full refund.

Any potential downsides to the second plan?

Get an iPhone 6S through Best Buy, sell it for ~650. Sell your G3. Use the 6P on Verizon.

The easiest and best plan.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I must win a prize or something for shattering the unbreakable screen on a Droid Turbo 2. Dropped it in a parking lot trying to answer it while opening a car door, picked it up, screen was shattered. Guy at Verizon store said meh, had a new one overnighted to me. I bought a case from him, just in case. First phone I've ever broken, and it's the unbreakable one.

Fin.

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas

Cozmosis posted:

Get an iPhone 6S through Best Buy, sell it for ~650. Sell your G3. Use the 6P on Verizon.

The easiest and best plan.

I came up with a new plan.
Extend UDP for 2 year at 29.99 through Best Buy Method. Sell the S6 (needs to be Android phone to keep UDP) that comes with it on swappa.
Port the number over to Project Fi. Sell UDP.
Get a new 2 year contract from Best Buy with an iPhone 6s. Sell it on Swappa.
Port number back to Verizon. Cancel Fi and return 6P.
Switch the Verizon plan over to corporate plan and keep using my G3 (which I really have no problems with).

I think this should net me $1500 and $30 or so dollars less every month on my Verizon bill. Downside is I trade UDP for 5GB per month but I don't think keeping UDP is worth $1500.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Super Dude posted:

I'm not installing anything made by Verizon on my 6p. I just switched it over to use Google Voice for voicemail instead. Free visual voicemail!

The basic VVM from Verizon is free and perfectly functional. It's enabled on your account by default and you can turn it off in your My Verizon, which you'll have to do via the web because of your aversion to all things Verizon on your phone.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Just saw that T-Mobile is letting people stream unlimited 480p video over their cell network now. I would love to read the explanation of why that's feasible but they have to limit you if the bytes come from the wrong servers if you have the wrong plan, or especially why they can offer a service like that while it would cost many thousands of dollars to get the same number of bytes from Verizon.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Since it's the 15th now shouldn't the $20 upcharge on data be showing up? Please say I got to skirt around the upcharge.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
it probably won't show until the next billing cycle

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hey you should use all that unlimited data to post more Gizmo pics.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Just saw that T-Mobile is letting people stream unlimited 480p video over their cell network now. I would love to read the explanation of why that's feasible but they have to limit you if the bytes come from the wrong servers if you have the wrong plan, or especially why they can offer a service like that while it would cost many thousands of dollars to get the same number of bytes from Verizon.

Part what's out there/part my guesses:

* Raising the prices on their plans across the board while at the same time increasing data on plans. While the overall ROI for the plans hasn't changed or is better, most people don't use very much data, so basically the low usage people are subsidizing it in part.
* Downgrading HQ streams to 480p
* Nerfing data stash to make this workable
* Preferred content deals/kickbacks with certain providers
* Betting it'll pay for itself with all the switchers
* They're already still not even close to their network being overextended in many places, so more users are close to pure profit

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

flyboi posted:

How do I see if my corporate discount falls under this? I get a 8% discount through work and when they ran the numbers all the other plans will cost the exact same or more if I switch plans.
It's extremely unlikely. PM me who your corporate master is and I can check the database to see if you are the exception. The easiest way is whatever is after the @ in your work email address.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

People are reporting that the Best Buy unlimited subsidized upgrade loophole is now closed, so don't do that anymore. Looks like the open order is now tied to the IMEI instead of the SIM, so powering on the phone will kill your unlimited even if you trashed the original SIM.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

kitten smoothie posted:

People are reporting that the Best Buy unlimited subsidized upgrade loophole is now closed, so don't do that anymore. Looks like the open order is now tied to the IMEI instead of the SIM, so powering on the phone will kill your unlimited even if you trashed the original SIM.

Can't you just upgrade normally now that they've raised the price?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

Can't you just upgrade normally now that they've raised the price?

Not on two year contract, only on device payment which is just buying the phone outright over 24 months.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Don't forget to check your account online to get a free GB of data for this month and next month. Thanksgetting time again.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My sister is looking to buy my mom this iPhone 5S for Christmas, and I just wanted to make sure it can be activated on Verizon. Can it?

https://glyde.com/buy/used-Apple-iPhone-5S-16GB-Gold-Verizon/12076278

Edit: She currently has an iPhone on Verizon, this would be a phone upgrade for her.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 3, 2015

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

My sister is looking to buy my mom this iPhone 5S for Christmas, and I just wanted to make sure it can be activated on Verizon. Can it?

https://glyde.com/buy/used-Apple-iPhone-5S-16GB-Gold-Verizon/12076278

Edit: She currently has an iPhone on Verizon, this would be a phone upgrade for her.

If it was previously a Verizon phone, no problem. If not, put in an already-activated Verizon SIM card, let it connect, then swap SIMs out for the proper one.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Ask for the MEID and check with a rep at Verizon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon kinda failed this whole Star Wars cross promotion Google cardboard thing. Two days in a row and the store says they haven't gotten them in yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Verizon kinda failed this whole Star Wars cross promotion Google cardboard thing. Two days in a row and the store says they haven't gotten them in yet.

They sent them to the "smart" stores first. If there is a bigger flagship store in your area try calling them. Although they're probably out already anyway.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Not wireless but this seems like the best place to ask. I have a relative who is poor and FIOS is her only option for internet. What modem should I get her so she can avoid the monthly rental charges? I'm finding a lot on eBay/Amazon but all sorts of different revisions and I figure someone here probably has a bundle with them and has done something like this. Here's a couple I'm seeing in much different price ranges:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0145REEA0/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Fios-Cable-Modem-Wireless-Router-Actiontec-MI424WR-Rev-I-/121829434173

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Duckman2008 posted:

They sent them to the "smart" stores first. If there is a bigger flagship store in your area try calling them. Although they're probably out already anyway.

I went to one of the biggest, heavily trafficked one in probably all of western PA yesterday and they didn't get it yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I went to one of the biggest, heavily trafficked one in probably all of western PA yesterday and they didn't get it yet.

Bummer. In any case, it looks like a not great rollout for the promotion.

East coast PA stores got some in, but that's because East PA = Best PA* :)

*unless you are a sports fan of any sort.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Zero VGS posted:

Not wireless but this seems like the best place to ask. I have a relative who is poor and FIOS is her only option for internet. What modem should I get her so she can avoid the monthly rental charges? I'm finding a lot on eBay/Amazon but all sorts of different revisions and I figure someone here probably has a bundle with them and has done something like this. Here's a couple I'm seeing in much different price ranges:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0145REEA0/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Fios-Cable-Modem-Wireless-Router-Actiontec-MI424WR-Rev-I-/121829434173

Fios doesn't really have modems in the traditional sense. They install a box on the outside of your house, and then you can have a coax connection which would go to one of those 2 devices/routers, or they can activate the rj45 connection and run a cat6 to an existing router (which is what I did). That second option eliminates the possibility for on demand and such if she is also using them for tv though.
That actiontec blows btw. It's what I had until I swapped in my router (I use directv).

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Sigma posted:

Ask for the MEID and check with a rep at Verizon.
You don't need to call just use http://verizonwireless.com/checkesn and punch in the Device ID.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
FYI if you are on the new Verizon Plan 12 or 18GB (XL or XXL), any phones upgraded get you an extra 2GB for life of that plan for phones purchased in December.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rye Bread posted:

Fios doesn't really have modems in the traditional sense. They install a box on the outside of your house, and then you can have a coax connection which would go to one of those 2 devices/routers, or they can activate the rj45 connection and run a cat6 to an existing router (which is what I did). That second option eliminates the possibility for on demand and such if she is also using them for tv though.
That actiontec blows btw. It's what I had until I swapped in my router (I use directv).

Oh, so I can just ask them to bring in a cat 6 and let me figure the rest out myself and they won't charge the extra $10/mo? Thanks then, I'll give that a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
I'm on a legacy Nationwide Talk 700 plan with a few lines, one of them has unlimited data. I'm thinking about finally jumping ship and switching to "The Verizon Plan". Does anyone know if there are any special unadvertised promos for switching right now? I've been a customer forever but the last time I talked to a rep they weren't offering any kind of loyalty discount/offer or anything.

• Locked thread