Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

It would appear that Verizon has enabled WiFi calling for iPhones
Nope it's getting released in a software update early this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Ahh, crap. The article I hit on a quick search jumped the gun, then.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Currently I am on Verizon Edge with an early upgrade amount of $230, and a buyout amount of $400 on a Galaxy Note 4. I checked into Google Fi and found that I do not qualify for payment plan on the Nexus 6P. I wanted to switch because I am tired of bloatware and slooooow OS updates. My Note 4 is still on 5.0.1. Pretty unacceptable. Furthermore, my bill is high even with a 20% company discount. 2 Edge phones on More everything plan with 6GB shared and the bill is over 160$ where Google Fi is much cheaper.

Unfortunately since Google Fi is likely not in my future (400$ Edge Buyout +$550 Nexus 6P is too much for me) I am looking for alternative options. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking for a phone that is at least a side grade if not an upgrade to the Note 4 that gets the quickest OS updates available on Verizon. I understand that bloatware is an unfortunate side effect of being with a carrier device, so I don't expect that to go away.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Obscurity posted:

Currently I am on Verizon Edge with an early upgrade amount of $230, and a buyout amount of $400 on a Galaxy Note 4. I checked into Google Fi and found that I do not qualify for payment plan on the Nexus 6P. I wanted to switch because I am tired of bloatware and slooooow OS updates. My Note 4 is still on 5.0.1. Pretty unacceptable. Furthermore, my bill is high even with a 20% company discount. 2 Edge phones on More everything plan with 6GB shared and the bill is over 160$ where Google Fi is much cheaper.

Unfortunately since Google Fi is likely not in my future (400$ Edge Buyout +$550 Nexus 6P is too much for me) I am looking for alternative options. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking for a phone that is at least a side grade if not an upgrade to the Note 4 that gets the quickest OS updates available on Verizon. I understand that bloatware is an unfortunate side effect of being with a carrier device, so I don't expect that to go away.

You could always just buy an iPhone if you want software updates and minimal bloat ware.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Gross.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
or buy a nexus phone or a moto x pure edition and stop buying samsungs?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Stop buying Samsung.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

cuedotcom posted:

Stop buying Samsung.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
What kind of bloat comes on the iPhone at Verizon? I'm considering making the jump on my next upgrade.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

What kind of bloat comes on the iPhone at Verizon? I'm considering making the jump on my next upgrade.
Carrier bloat? None. Depends on if you consider non-removable Apple stock apps bloat but they don't take up much room or attention.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

cuedotcom posted:

Stop buying Samsung.

Yep, I realized this the hard way. The Moto X Pure Edition does look nice. Does it make sense to go ahead and just get it with the 230$ early upgrade, or will there be a Verizon phone better than this in the next 2 or so months possibly? Don't wanna jump the gun :o

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Obscurity posted:

Yep, I realized this the hard way. The Moto X Pure Edition does look nice. Does it make sense to go ahead and just get it with the 230$ early upgrade, or will there be a Verizon phone better than this in the next 2 or so months possibly? Don't wanna jump the gun :o

No idea for sure if there are any phones coming out, but probably nothing but whatever the Samsung S7 is. I heard it's coming out earlier this year, we might hear about it sometime this month. Might.

Otherwise Verizon doesn't sell the Pure so I am not sure what you are referencing. The Turbo 2?

shino
Dec 28, 2004
do not open

lampey posted:

Google voice does not use data for calling. Call verizon and ask for a network extender.

This is technically true, but I'm pretty sure all you really have to do is install hangouts on your iphone, hook it up to a google voice number, and bam! Voice by itself will use your minutes; voice through hangouts will not.

In other news, a verizon employee told me that my charger has been plugged in upside down, thereby killing my battery.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

shino posted:

This is technically true, but I'm pretty sure all you really have to do is install hangouts on your iphone, hook it up to a google voice number, and bam! Voice by itself will use your minutes; voice through hangouts will not.

In other news, a verizon employee told me that my charger has been plugged in upside down, thereby killing my battery.

You gave free electricity to the power company by sucking it all out of your battery with your backwards plug! Good job, and lucky he warned you of this tragedy!

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
even more reason to go off the grid!!!!! everyone works for the man! thank goodness that bright, intelligent young verizon employee saved you from the greedy, evil man

(e: any piece of electronics that doesn't use a step-down (or up) transformer in them between the device and the wall will have a polarized plug. what this means is that one of the two prongs is bigger than the other, which prevents incorrect insertion of the charger into the outlet. however, all chargers operate at 5V which means all these usb chargers have step-down transformers in them. ergo, it doesn't matter which way you plug it in because the transformer will handle everything and it would take far more time to explain than i feel like. otherwise people would be dying en masse from house fires and exploding wall chargers. heil satan)

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 3, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So, I could have sworn that I never had this problem originally, but for the past few weeks my phone can't receive or make calls while its on the wireless charger. I can get texts just fine, wifi works great.

Just no calls.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Is it possible to Bring Your Own 4g LTE Verizon home router to your plan and go month to month with it? A buddy of mine is moving and I could probably snag his modem for cheap because he hates it.

I am looking at going somewhere with almost no cell service for a month and a half (edge coverage and poo poo topology) and am contemplating using a Yogi-type antenna on a boom to secure internet...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ceros_X posted:

Is it possible to Bring Your Own 4g LTE Verizon home router to your plan and go month to month with it? A buddy of mine is moving and I could probably snag his modem for cheap because he hates it.

I am looking at going somewhere with almost no cell service for a month and a half (edge coverage and poo poo topology) and am contemplating using a Yogi-type antenna on a boom to secure internet...

Sure you could activate month to month. Wouldn't be worth it unless you get that boosted signal though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Doctor Butts posted:

So, I could have sworn that I never had this problem originally, but for the past few weeks my phone can't receive or make calls while its on the wireless charger. I can get texts just fine, wifi works great.

Just no calls.

is this wireless charger plugged in upside down

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Nah, spent a while with VZW tech. Tried doing a dozen things. Finally on a whim I disabled then enabled Bluetooth and now I can get calls while its on the charger.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Speaking, of today's 9.3 beta flipped the switch for Verizon Wi-Fi calling :bubblewoop:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Speaking, of today's 9.3 beta flipped the switch for Verizon Wi-Fi calling :bubblewoop:

Any issues at all?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I was just told over the phone, by Verizon customer service that the Nexus 6p would not work on Verizon. This is totally not true, right?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I believe that to be the case, yes.

Count on Verizon CS having their heads up their asses at least 85% of the time.

If you call back and get a different CS agent, there's at least a 90% likelyhood that you will get a different answer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I was just told over the phone, by Verizon customer service that the Nexus 6p would not work on Verizon. This is totally not true, right?

6P should be fine, just stop by a store to get a SIM card activated when you need it.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

AlexDeGruven posted:

I believe that to be the case, yes.

Count on Verizon CS having their heads up their asses at least 85% of the time.

If you call back and get a different CS agent, there's at least a 90% likelyhood that you will get a different answer.

This is what happened. I got Debbie this time. Debbie rules.

And my current phone (Turbo) has a nano-sim already so its just a quick swap and I'm set.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I'm using a Nexus 6P RIGHT NOW on Verizon. I had a Droid Turbo as well, popped my SIM in and went to town. It felt good. Join me in happy Nexus land.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Annoying that it prioritizes 1x over wifi. I hope when this goes out of beta they will reverse that.

I have mediocre signal in a couple rooms of my masonry house. If it wouldn't use the cell network at all if wifi were good, that'd save a ton of battery life on the phone.

brenter
Dec 15, 2004
Hey guys, whoa, big gulps huh? Alright. Well see ya later.

ninmeister posted:

I'm using a Nexus 6P RIGHT NOW on Verizon. I had a Droid Turbo as well, popped my SIM in and went to town. It felt good. Join me in happy Nexus land.

Does voicemail work on it? I read about some issue for Verizon customers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Normal voicemail should work. It will not have visual voicemail.

Verizon doesn't make a visual voicemail app, the manufacturers are responsible for them. For the Nexus 6, Motorola makes a very good app that worked on the N6 as well as all their other devices (including the Pure.)

LG has not elected to make their visual voicemail app compatible with the 5x and Hauwei doesn't make one at all.

For those phones without the app, you'll get a text message with gibberish to let you know you have a voicemail. You can then retrieve it by calling in.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
There's always the Google Voice visual voicemail option.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Seconding using Google Voice for voice mail. Works great for this situation if you want a visual voicemail.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
So I have a VZW Note 3 that has treated me well for about two years, and I have an upgrade available on my 2yr contract (Single line, 18% employer discount). Unfortunately the screen recently spiderwebbed, and the S-pen tip broke off and is stuck in the slot. Here's my question:
If I submit an insurance claim (I have Asurion coverage) and redeem my upgrade and/or switch to Edge at the same time, do I get to keep my newly-refurbished Note 3 and my new upgraded phone? What's the best way to get this done? I'm hoping that I will be able to send out my phone and have a new phone in my hand the same day.

Also I'm not really sure how this interacts with the new "Edge" plans as I haven't paid any attention to that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Any issues at all?
Not that I've noticed no. It usually switches to "VZW Wi-Fi" as the carrier in my apartment, which is what I was hoping for. I notice it in a few different buildings on campus as well. No problems so far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainJuan posted:

So I have a VZW Note 3 that has treated me well for about two years, and I have an upgrade available on my 2yr contract (Single line, 18% employer discount). Unfortunately the screen recently spiderwebbed, and the S-pen tip broke off and is stuck in the slot. Here's my question:
If I submit an insurance claim (I have Asurion coverage) and redeem my upgrade and/or switch to Edge at the same time, do I get to keep my newly-refurbished Note 3 and my new upgraded phone? What's the best way to get this done? I'm hoping that I will be able to send out my phone and have a new phone in my hand the same day.

Also I'm not really sure how this interacts with the new "Edge" plans as I haven't paid any attention to that.

It's $199 for a replacement phone, so my question would be why do you want to spend $199 on a Note 3 when you are also getting a new phone? It won't affect your ability to upgrade at all, it just seems like a waste since you won't be able to get $200+ back on it.

Do you want a new phone? On the new plans you get a discount when you own a phone, so if you are happy with your Note 3 you can also get a replacement Note 3 for the $199 insurance replacement and then keep the cheaper plan until you next buy a new phone.

Not that I've noticed no. It usually switches to "VZW Wi-Fi" as the carrier in my apartment, which is what I was hoping for. I notice it in a few different buildings on campus as well. No problems so far.

Good news to hear. If you happen to get a chance to test handoffs, and see if it passes from wifi calling to a Verizon tower ok when driving away from your house (or whatever), let me know on that too. Verizon coverage is awful inside my house so I'm looking forward to this fix.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 12, 2016

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Well. Good point. I guess I'll just upgrade and save my broken phone for emergencies and/or waterslides.

Thanks!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
My original droid Maxx is bricked (ran out of battery, then started hanging on the startup red eyeball screen when I plugged it in). Guy at the store said they don't make those anymore and they'd prob send me a Maxx 2 ultra whatever. But the lady on the phone when I filed the insurance claim said they'd send the same as the phone I already have.

I really hope they do have the old Maxx in stock because the new one is loving gigantic (they showed me the floor model) and they say it doesn't have built in wireless charging and needs a separate back panel accessory for that. wtf.

Bonus: whenever I talk to Verizon in any capacity now, they say "you're on an older plan..." which is the signal that they are about to try to get me off unlimited data. Nice try sonny, you'll pry unlimited from my cold dead hands.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Can you get it into recovery? I have a Droid Maxx that kept getting the camera issue, Asurion wanted a $99 deductible for it and the phone used off Swappa is like $120 bucks. So I bought a Droid Turbo used off Swappa, then disassembled the Droid Maxx and fixed it (taped the camera to the housing.)

Asurion also told me they would send me another of what I had, which is why I said gently caress it. hth

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Defenestration posted:

My original droid Maxx is bricked (ran out of battery, then started hanging on the startup red eyeball screen when I plugged it in). Guy at the store said they don't make those anymore and they'd prob send me a Maxx 2 ultra whatever. But the lady on the phone when I filed the insurance claim said they'd send the same as the phone I already have.

I really hope they do have the old Maxx in stock because the new one is loving gigantic (they showed me the floor model) and they say it doesn't have built in wireless charging and needs a separate back panel accessory for that. wtf.

Bonus: whenever I talk to Verizon in any capacity now, they say "you're on an older plan..." which is the signal that they are about to try to get me off unlimited data. Nice try sonny, you'll pry unlimited from my cold dead hands.

Do you know which coverage plan you have? I assume you are filing a warranty claim through Verizon. It's honestly luck of the draw what you get from them.

If you are sticking with Droid, what I would recommend is get whatever warranty replacement, and for either the Maxx 2 or Turbo 2 you get a $200 trade in on device payment (you can't do two year contracts). So you at least get $200 off. You can also ask if you get any phone discounts through compass (retention system). I've been seeing $100 and even $200 off device payment (mileage varies), which is combine able. So you can in Theory get say, $300 off a Maxx 2, which given the phone is $384, it good, or $300-400 off a turbo 2, which that phone is $680ish, so not bad there either.

Note that reps are not required to offer retention offers, so it might be worth comparing both customer care and in store to see who gets the better deal. Reps get commission on unlimited plans, so I guess some might try to switch you, but personally when I see unlimited I already know you probably aren't buying much, so I'm more in "get everything set quickly so I can get more customers" mode.

I know you don't like big phones, but depending on what pricing you want, you might have to just deal with it for better or worse. A replacement Maxx 1 is going to be refurbished at this point and really won't last that long (my personal opinion). Same with original Turbo. So I would recommend either get the maximum amount of discounts towards a Turbo 2, or buy a Nexus 5p from Google.

But yeah, phones aren't getting smaller because they just don't sell well enough unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Do you know which coverage plan you have? I assume you are filing a warranty claim through Verizon. It's honestly luck of the draw what you get from them.

If you are sticking with Droid, what I would recommend is get whatever warranty replacement, and for either the Maxx 2 or Turbo 2 you get a $200 trade in on device payment (you can't do two year contracts). So you at least get $200 off. You can also ask if you get any phone discounts through compass (retention system). I've been seeing $100 and even $200 off device payment (mileage varies), which is combine able. So you can in Theory get say, $300 off a Maxx 2, which given the phone is $384, it good, or $300-400 off a turbo 2, which that phone is $680ish, so not bad there either.

Note that reps are not required to offer retention offers, so it might be worth comparing both customer care and in store to see who gets the better deal. Reps get commission on unlimited plans, so I guess some might try to switch you, but personally when I see unlimited I already know you probably aren't buying much, so I'm more in "get everything set quickly so I can get more customers" mode.

I know you don't like big phones, but depending on what pricing you want, you might have to just deal with it for better or worse. A replacement Maxx 1 is going to be refurbished at this point and really won't last that long (my personal opinion). Same with original Turbo. So I would recommend either get the maximum amount of discounts towards a Turbo 2, or buy a Nexus 5p from Google.

But yeah, phones aren't getting smaller because they just don't sell well enough unfortunately.
I checked it out and I'm on NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 700
This is a family plan that I pay back $50 a month to my parents so my end of this deal is sweet. I want to keep unlimited, and my parents live in bumblefuck so they have to keep verizon for the coverage.

Your strategy is the detailed version of what I figured. I paid $149 for an insurance claim replacement phone. We'll find out tomorrow which one they sent. If it's the maxx 1, I'm cool until it bricks itself again. If it's a 2 then I'll try to trade in. I had a Gnex back in the day that I liked, so will look into that.

So I went back a few pages but I don't see a specific answer to this: because of the new way you pay for phones by adding to the bill over time, does that mean I don't have to do all that transfer the upgrade rigamarole to keep unlimited? I can just be like "yo, I'm due to upgrade, trade this in toward it and let me know what the damage is"?

• Locked thread