Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Defenestration posted:

I checked it out and I'm on NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 700
This is a family plan that I pay back $50 a month to my parents so my end of this deal is sweet. I want to keep unlimited, and my parents live in bumblefuck so they have to keep verizon for the coverage.

Your strategy is the detailed version of what I figured. I paid $149 for an insurance claim replacement phone. We'll find out tomorrow which one they sent. If it's the maxx 1, I'm cool until it bricks itself again. If it's a 2 then I'll try to trade in. I had a Gnex back in the day that I liked, so will look into that.

So I went back a few pages but I don't see a specific answer to this: because of the new way you pay for phones by adding to the bill over time, does that mean I don't have to do all that transfer the upgrade rigamarole to keep unlimited? I can just be like "yo, I'm due to upgrade, trade this in toward it and let me know what the damage is"?

Well, I'm assuming your plan is out of contract. So basically you buy phones at full cost now. You pay taxes in store, and then it's the cost of the device over 24 months. At any time you can trade phone towards the payoff, pay whatever other difference, and start new phone on installment plan. When phone is paid off it drops off.

Verizon tends to have retention offers and promos geared towards device payment, so like $100 off the cost of the phone over the 24 months or wherever. Mileage will very on those.

Also, if you happen to still have your Galaxy Nexus you would legit be able to use that for the $200 trade in. Just FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
How do my fellow Nexus havers handle voicemail? Now when I receive a VM I get a garbled text with a link and I know that I can dial *86 but there's no longer and app with a more cut and dry UI to use.. I've seen mention of using Google Voice for visual voicemail and that's not really a problem for me but I also don't necessarily need visual VM..

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Update: got a maxx 1, everything cool

Pretty sure I do still have that gnex, thanks for the trade in tip

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

How do my fellow Nexus havers handle voicemail? Now when I receive a VM I get a garbled text with a link and I know that I can dial *86 but there's no longer and app with a more cut and dry UI to use.. I've seen mention of using Google Voice for visual voicemail and that's not really a problem for me but I also don't necessarily need visual VM..

Use google voice.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Duckman2008 posted:

Use google voice.

Cool so I tried this and then did all the forwarding *92 and whatever calls I was supposed to and when I called my number I got a 'could not complete your call' thing instead of a voicemail so maybe I am not in fact OK with Google Voice..

I did get a voicemail notification to show up instead of a weird text message by disabling stuff on Verizon's side of things so I guess I'm OK now..

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
More updates no one cares about:

I hosed with it a bunch more and got it all working except the voicemail will only play through the speaker phone and not the handset.. Cool cool I give up

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I just use the Verizon voice-mail app on my Nexus 6, is that not an option? I did the trial for the visual vmail and once it ended it just converts to a non visual vmail app but it does everything else

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I just use the Verizon voice-mail app on my Nexus 6, is that not an option?

Look closer, it's actually made by Motorola.

Verizon requires their OEMs to make the visual voice mail apps for some reason. Motorola actually updated theirs to work with their Nexus model, others have not.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I want to buy a "new" phone cash because my Moto X 2nd Generation screen cracked and some apps I need to run my company don't work anymore after the OS upgraded.

I am thinking about a Note 4. I want to use it on Verizon postpaid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...RdpU3r8UB75gntw

Is there any reason not to buy this? I do not need the latest and greatest. Is there a better place to buy an unlocked Verizon Note 4?

The apps in question work on a Note because my buddy has the exact same app and it works on his phone.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Swappa.com

Some people still eBay phones and it's probably fine if you're a buyer, but if you're a seller it can be hell if someone wants to screw you.

Don't go into the store and buy it either, VZW only incentivizes the 24mo payment plans, as if a dollar tomorrow is worth more than a dollar today. It's stupid but whatever.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'm currently on Verizon's single-person plan; it's running me about $60 a month (before taxes/fees) for 2GB of data, no tethering. Apparently if I switch over to their pre-paid plan I can get 5GB of data for the same price, or save $20 for the same 2GB I'm getting now.

OR I can switch to the Verizon Plan and for an extra $5 a month get an extra gig of data plus tethering.

I'm not sure what to do; all the options sound good. I don't really use tethering but I have had situations where I wish I had it. I wouldn't mind saving $20 nor do I mind getting the extra 3GB of data on the pre-paid plans, but I'm not sure if there's any drawbacks to going pre-paid.

I've currently got a Nexus 5x so I'm not under any contract or owe Verizon for the phone or anything like that. Anyone have any advice or information for me to consider in making this decision?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to jump ship from Sprint to Verizon, are they offering any incentives to new customers to do this? For a while there it seemed like everyone was willing to pay your cancellation fees, is this still a thing? Is Verizon doing this?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do Verizon ever give early upgrades? I have a upgrade in August but my screen just cracked...fml

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

I'm currently on Verizon's single-person plan; it's running me about $60 a month (before taxes/fees) for 2GB of data, no tethering. Apparently if I switch over to their pre-paid plan I can get 5GB of data for the same price, or save $20 for the same 2GB I'm getting now.

OR I can switch to the Verizon Plan and for an extra $5 a month get an extra gig of data plus tethering.

I'm not sure what to do; all the options sound good. I don't really use tethering but I have had situations where I wish I had it. I wouldn't mind saving $20 nor do I mind getting the extra 3GB of data on the pre-paid plans, but I'm not sure if there's any drawbacks to going pre-paid.

I've currently got a Nexus 5x so I'm not under any contract or owe Verizon for the phone or anything like that. Anyone have any advice or information for me to consider in making this decision?

Eh, that's a good plan because you can still get a phone on a two year contract AND keep the plan at $60 a month. The $65 3GB plan you have to buy phones outright, so unless you need tethering I would keep the plan you have. Also better than Prepaid for that reason, you can get a $650 phone for $200 every two years.

I said come in! posted:

I want to jump ship from Sprint to Verizon, are they offering any incentives to new customers to do this? For a while there it seemed like everyone was willing to pay your cancellation fees, is this still a thing? Is Verizon doing this?

Yes Verizon will buy out your contract, but you have to trade in your phone and get new phone on the installment plan.

Example: you are on Sprint and your cancellation is $300. Your phone is worth $150 as a trade in.

You would get $150 trade in in store, $150 gift card in the mail after submitting verification of the cancellation fee. You get whatever plan and new phone.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 19, 2016

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
" FREE VZW MSG: LAST CHANCE! Offer expires 2/22. Get iPhone 6s for less than $25/mo. ($22.91/mo for 24 mos; 0% APR. Full price $550). PLUS get 24 GB of data per year for life while your line is active on the current Verizon Plan XL or larger. Upgrade on device payment at https://www.vzw.com a Verizon store or call 866-396-3999 and use promo code UPGRADE at checkout. Ltd. time. Reply "x" to stop msg. "

Anyone else been getting this promo offer? 36gb a month is pretty nice. Guess they want me off unlimited. 3 words Verizon. Cold. Dead. Hands.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Note that says "24 GB of data per year", not per month.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Ah, indeed. What I get for posting half asleep haha. A free 24 gigs a year? That wouldn't last a month. Sneaky sneaky

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

" FREE VZW MSG: LAST CHANCE! Offer expires 2/22. Get iPhone 6s for less than $25/mo. ($22.91/mo for 24 mos; 0% APR. Full price $550). PLUS get 24 GB of data per year for life while your line is active on the current Verizon Plan XL or larger. Upgrade on device payment at https://www.vzw.com a Verizon store or call 866-396-3999 and use promo code UPGRADE at checkout. Ltd. time. Reply "x" to stop msg. "

Anyone else been getting this promo offer? 36gb a month is pretty nice. Guess they want me off unlimited. 3 words Verizon. Cold. Dead. Hands.

Well, two things:

1. You can get the pricing either way. What that means is you get $100 off any phone upgraded on device payment (installment plan of full price of the phone). You can do that on unlimited. My input there would be if you need a phone, $100 off isn't bad, but if you are good, I Donno if I would rush for a new phone.

2. Yeah, the data part is dumb. All it is is the 2GB extra if you switch to the 12GB or up plan. So a 14Gb plan (I assume one line). So yeah, meh.

Overall, marketing sucks.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

I'm not changing anything with my plan. Been buying phones at full cost for years now with unlimited data. I think I average 74gb/mo? Simply curious who else was being spammed by the Verizon text robot.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

cuedotcom posted:

I'm not changing anything with my plan. Been buying phones at full cost for years now with unlimited data. I think I average 74gb/mo? Simply curious who else was being spammed by the Verizon text robot.

I'm still on unlimited as well and got that same txt msg.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

cuedotcom posted:

I dropped off of unlimited to lower my costs by $20 instead of raising it by $30 :(. I'm still upset about that. Anyway, I got this text too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not on unlimited and I got the text. I think it went to everyone.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Im considering switching my 6P to verizon, I'd be bringing my number, and need 4-5GB/mo if I'm losing the music streaming benefits. I'm not adverse to pre-paid, as long as VZW doesn't treat pre-paid as second rate for network access or anything. I have a 17% employer discount option. I'd like to avoid a contract or credit check (not an issue, just don't need another hard pull on there) if possible. My current bill on t-mo is $65.xx after taxes, and I'd like to stay at about that as a max monthly cost.

Is the $60/mo (with 5GB when using autopay, right?) the best option? What would the alternative be?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I'm on the unlimited data plan (I've currently used 171.1gb with ten days left in the usage cycle!) and I'm due for a new phone. Since I have to buy at full price, anybody got a good recommendation forna good Android phone? I tether and stream like crazy, so I like battery life more than the flashiest screen, but I'm pretty open.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Just get a Nexus 5x/6p if you're going to buy outright.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tumble posted:

I'm on the unlimited data plan (I've currently used 171.1gb with ten days left in the usage cycle!) and I'm due for a new phone. Since I have to buy at full price, anybody got a good recommendation forna good Android phone? I tether and stream like crazy, so I like battery life more than the flashiest screen, but I'm pretty open.

Turbo 2. You can get $200 off with smartphone trade in, and maybe a good retention discount as well.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Duckman2008 posted:

Turbo 2. You can get $200 off with smartphone trade in, and maybe a good retention discount as well.

I'll check it out; I'm sure I won't qualify for the trade-in or retention bonus. Verizon would cart us off to extermination camps if it could get away with it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tumble posted:

I'll check it out; I'm sure I won't qualify for the trade-in or retention bonus. Verizon would cart us off to extermination camps if it could get away with it.

Most unlimited customers get the $100 off. Not all, but most.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tumble posted:

Droid Turbo 2 has a cool unbreakable screen. Samsung galaxy s7 comes out in a few weeks and added back removable storage and waterproofing. LG V10 is a nice phone. Galaxy note 5 has great battery life and a ton of cool features like samsung pay with normal magnetic credit card machines. The Nexus phones are available

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

s7 added back waterproofing until the watercooling springs a leak

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Are there ever going to be any quality small phones for Verizon like the Xperia compacts? I miss the size of my RAZR M...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Are there ever going to be any quality small phones for Verizon like the Xperia compacts? I miss the size of my RAZR M...

Unfortunately no. Best is either iPhone or buying a Nexus 5x from Google and bringing it to VZ.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
My wife's phone was destroyed in an unfortunate laundry machine related incident. I've got a used 2014 (Verizon branded) moto x coming from swappa, but it won't be here tell tomorrow night.

Is it possible to stop at Verizon tonight and get them to attach a new sim card to her number, and then get the phone going myself on Wednesday night? Trying to avoid backtracking to the store on Wednesday, when I have the phone in hand.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Raised by Hamsters posted:

My wife's phone was destroyed in an unfortunate laundry machine related incident. I've got a used 2014 (Verizon branded) moto x coming from swappa, but it won't be here tell tomorrow night.

Is it possible to stop at Verizon tonight and get them to attach a new sim card to her number, and then get the phone going myself on Wednesday night? Trying to avoid backtracking to the store on Wednesday, when I have the phone in hand.
If her previous phone had a sim it probably survived. Stick it in your phone, see if it works.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'm currently on an unlimited plan using a 2013 Moto X, and just ordered an unlocked Nexus 5X to replace it. Is it really as simple as moving my nano SIM from the Moto to the Nexus to activate the new phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

The store needs a phone IMEI that is compatible with the SIM size you need. Stores can't just give out SIMs, they have to activate them, and the system will only let you activate the SIM if its compatible with whatever phone is on the line. So maybe, but i would say it would be a bit luck of the draw.

ilkhan posted:

If her previous phone had a sim it probably survived. Stick it in your phone, see if it works.

Personal opinion, why risk it when a not water damaged SIM is free? not saying it would damage the new phone, but the SIM could just go kaput later.

CapMoron posted:

I'm currently on an unlimited plan using a 2013 Moto X, and just ordered an unlocked Nexus 5X to replace it. Is it really as simple as moving my nano SIM from the Moto to the Nexus to activate the new phone?

Yes.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Thanks for the advice, I ended up not risking it and got a new sim card tonight.

As it turns out though, the 2013 Moto X actually seems to have survived the complete wash cycle :psyduck: Been in a bag of rice since Sunday. I'm not trusting it to actually stay alive, but, I'm impressed.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Those Moto X 2013s are pretty tough. I have a friend who goes fishing all the time and has swam his 3 or 4 times and it's still fine.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
I recently jumped off the verizon boat. I got a samsung range extender and a voip/telephone box converter. Is there any market for reselling these? To be specific, I'm NOT asking "who wants this" I'm asking "should I try to sell these". Dont wanna break any forum rules, so I hope that's asked properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The network extenders are going for north of $100 on eBay so I see no reason not to sell it.

• Locked thread