Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I have an old More Everything plan that I don't want to mess with. One person in my group has been clinging to a flip phone but wants to enter the smartphone era.

Basically, I want their line flipped from Basic Access to Smartphone Access and to get a sim card for their new phone, which is a used Galaxy S5. I don't expect any issues with the phone being blacklisted or anything like that, but will I have trouble getting their line access switched? I do not want to lock that line into a new contract or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I have an old More Everything plan that I don't want to mess with. One person in my group has been clinging to a flip phone but wants to enter the smartphone era.

Basically, I want their line flipped from Basic Access to Smartphone Access and to get a sim card for their new phone, which is a used Galaxy S5. I don't expect any issues with the phone being blacklisted or anything like that, but will I have trouble getting their line access switched? I do not want to lock that line into a new contract or anything.

Should be fine. You have to bring the phone into the store and get a SIM card.

The only issue you could have is they require a manager override to make a plan $15 a month no contract vs $40. My store doesn't have an issue doing that, but I guess mileage will vary. If you get any push back just tell them you'll give them a solid survey for it, that makes people help you out quicker.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Being on vacation with my family of eight, and being the only one with data service at our lodging, has definitely made me miss my unlimited plan. Even with just basic web use in the evenings, we blew through 17GB of data since last Saturday. I upped my normal 3GB plan to 20GB for the month, and I'm wishing the jump from 20 -> 25GB wasn't so steep. At least they're all chipping in for my extra plan cost this month!

My folks are also Verizon, but in a More Everything plan on contract, so their charges are already a little ridiculous for two smartphones on a 2GB share pool. My data ended up being cheaper, so I bit the bullet. Plus my phone seems to handle having 7 other devices tethered better than their Droid Minis

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Verizon security question:

I see that there's a billing PIN number which is by default the last four of the customers SSN. (I immediately changed that to a different PIN number.)

What is that for exactly? Is that so someone cannot call Verizon and imperonate you to do weird stuff with your account?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

PitViper posted:

Being on vacation with my family of eight, and being the only one with data service at our lodging, has definitely made me miss my unlimited plan. Even with just basic web use in the evenings, we blew through 17GB of data since last Saturday. I upped my normal 3GB plan to 20GB for the month, and I'm wishing the jump from 20 -> 25GB wasn't so steep. At least they're all chipping in for my extra plan cost this month!

My folks are also Verizon, but in a More Everything plan on contract, so their charges are already a little ridiculous for two smartphones on a 2GB share pool. My data ended up being cheaper, so I bit the bullet. Plus my phone seems to handle having 7 other devices tethered better than their Droid Minis

never regretting hoppign on that 30gb promo a couple years ago

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Verizon security question:

I see that there's a billing PIN number which is by default the last four of the customers SSN. (I immediately changed that to a different PIN number.)

What is that for exactly? Is that so someone cannot call Verizon and imperonate you to do weird stuff with your account?

Yeah, for security and also there are accounts where the account holder may want an authorized user to be able to call in, but doesn't want to give said person the last 4 of their SSN. Mostly it's for account security.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, for security and also there are accounts where the account holder may want an authorized user to be able to call in, but doesn't want to give said person the last 4 of their SSN. Mostly it's for account security.

That's cool. For people who are security-conscious (or even a little paranoid), are there any steps that should be taken to "lock down" their cellphone number/account with Verizon?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

That's cool. For people who are security-conscious (or even a little paranoid), are there any steps that should be taken to "lock down" their cellphone number/account with Verizon?

Only two things to do for any phone account is to make sure to set a decent 4-5 digit passcode (not social), setup an online account, and make sure you know who is authorized to access it. And even though they can be annoying, I would recommend keeping all account notifications on.

There are still major issues with fraud in wireless, but overall a password is the biggest jump in preventing that.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That makes sense. I was wondering if I could even ask for a note to be added to my account with something like "do not change address or billing over the phone" but that might be overkill.

I think the most common attack is using someone's Verizon account to order telephones and ship them to a fence.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I'll be spending a few days in Ireland next month. Verizon offers an international plan that boils down to ":10bux: a day to use your same voice and data". Appears to only bill you on the days you actually have international usage which is nice. I could get a local SIM at the Dublin airport but a month of prepaid service would cost around $40 so it's basically a wash, cost wise, and I'd lose the ability to receive calls on my Verizon number.

What terrible things could come about if I add that to my phone and plan temporarily? It seems affordable and simple which is not at all what I would expect from Verizon... Alternatively, any better options I should know about?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I'll be spending a few days in Ireland next month. Verizon offers an international plan that boils down to ":10bux: a day to use your same voice and data". Appears to only bill you on the days you actually have international usage which is nice. I could get a local SIM at the Dublin airport but a month of prepaid service would cost around $40 so it's basically a wash, cost wise, and I'd lose the ability to receive calls on my Verizon number.

What terrible things could come about if I add that to my phone and plan temporarily? It seems affordable and simple which is not at all what I would expect from Verizon... Alternatively, any better options I should know about?

It's a $0 code, so nothing bad will ever happen by adding it on. It is what it is, for days when you use your phone international it's $10 per day.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
How can I get more gigabytes for my dollars :( I'm in the 20 gb for 120 and I get a 15%employee discount. Is it pretty much the best I can get? On contract until this time next year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

vandalism posted:

How can I get more gigabytes for my dollars :( I'm in the 20 gb for 120 and I get a 15%employee discount. Is it pretty much the best I can get? On contract until this time next year.

Yeah, that's the most you can do. If you happen to live in e northeast and already have Fios, some accounts that have both have a double data promo. Otherwise, it's like, $175 (you do get your discount off that) for 25GB, which just isn't a big jump.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
Is there some way to convince Verizon to send me their "network extender" for free? Spent an hour on the phone with support, in which we both agreed my signal strength at home of 114 at best wasn't acceptable, only for the guy to offer me a slight discount off of the $250 they want me to pay for it. When Sprint of all companies sent me one for free, I'm not about to spend another $200, or anything really, just for the privilege of being able to use my new phone. I'm only on day 2 of my 14 day window, but I'd really prefer not having to take everything back.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What phone is it and can you just turn on wifi calling?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Knightmere posted:

Is there some way to convince Verizon to send me their "network extender" for free? Spent an hour on the phone with support, in which we both agreed my signal strength at home of 114 at best wasn't acceptable, only for the guy to offer me a slight discount off of the $250 they want me to pay for it. When Sprint of all companies sent me one for free, I'm not about to spend another $200, or anything really, just for the privilege of being able to use my new phone. I'm only on day 2 of my 14 day window, but I'd really prefer not having to take everything back.

Doubt it, it's luck of the draw, and unfortunately Verizon is more likely to send a free network extender to someone who has had service for multiple years.

But like the other person said, if you have a phone with wifi calling that solves it there.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
I have an S7 edge but my wife insists on using old flip-phone style, she has the Samsung Gusto 3, so no wifi calling for her I believe. I'll give it a few days to test out the call quality, but this is disappointing. Thanks for the help though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Knightmere posted:

I have an S7 edge but my wife insists on using old flip-phone style, she has the Samsung Gusto 3, so no wifi calling for her I believe. I'll give it a few days to test out the call quality, but this is disappointing. Thanks for the help though.

Seriously, get her an iPhone SE 16GB and wifi calling will work great. A flip phone is $20 a month on Verizon. An SE is literally just the cost of the phone, which is $16.66 monthly, for 24 months and that's it.

And get her a decent cheap smartphone is the theme regardless of whether you stay with Verizon.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Duckman2008 posted:

Seriously, get her an iPhone SE 16GB and wifi calling will work great. A flip phone is $20 a month on Verizon. An SE is literally just the cost of the phone, which is $16.66 monthly, for 24 months and that's it.

And get her a decent cheap smartphone is the theme regardless of whether you stay with Verizon.

Seconded. You can always limit the mobile data use but at this point Verizon makes it more expensive to use a basic phone than a smartphone.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I saw a thing a while ago on Reddit about a soak test for the Turbo. Did that ever happen? Was it Marshmallow? God why don't I just buy a Nexus 5X?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
They're still working out the Turbo 2 issues iirc. They recalled an update for it not too long ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath on the Turbo 1.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Welp, thanks. I guess it's about time to get on the Nexus train.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yep - I dumped my work Turbo2 and personal Turbo for a 6p last week. Not looking back.

:feelsgood:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

how's the battery life comparatively

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Battery life is okay. Think my turbo 1 gets better times with how i use phones but it isn't cripplingly short. Overall use time is decent but if you leave it flat on a table Doze kicks in and you can forget about it overnight without worrying about it.

The main problem for me is charge time. It takes quite awhile - over 2 hours - to fill it with the fast charger that came with it. Worse, there aren't very many portable batteries that support usb-pd. Anker makes a 20,000mah one but that's not something you will want to carry around in your pocket so I can't rely in getting a quick boost like I can with the Turbo.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

After a while using it, there really isn't much that bothers me about the Turbo 2. I like it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FordPRefectLL posted:

how's the battery life comparatively

Turbo>Turbo2>6p was my experience

6p lasts me all day with about 15% to spare. Turbo2 consistently had about 20% to spare. Turbo had about 30% left at the end of the day. In fact I think I only triggered power saver once on the Turbo in the time I owned it. On the flipside, the 6p charges incredibly fast. I can usually add 20% with a 10 minute top off and go to full charge in a little more than an hour.

My sweet spot would have been the Turbo with Marshmallow, but you know Motorola

Edit: Also I was one of the apes that broke the Turbo2's Gorilla Glass. By dropping it on a corner in a parking lot. I had a replacement in hand 2 days later with no hassle.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
If I could unlock the Turbo 2's bootloader I would probably switch to that from my Turbo. But we can't have nice things

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
6p and 5x don't have wifi calling or HD Voice , right?

kensei posted:

Welp, thanks. I guess it's about time to get on the Nexus train.

Next Nexus phones Amy be announced as early as August. I'm waiting to see how them, Moto Z, and the Note 7 are. I'm on a HTC One M9 and love the dual front facing speakers but have battery issues. The 10 doesn't seem like an upgrade. Nexus may not have microSD or Verizon wifi calling, both of which may be deal breakers. I may tough out the m9 for another year.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

Next Nexus phones Amy be announced as early as August. I'm waiting to see how them, Moto Z, and the Note 7 are. I'm on a HTC One M9 and love the dual front facing speakers but have battery issues. The 10 doesn't seem like an upgrade. Nexus may not have microSD or Verizon wifi calling, both of which may be deal breakers. I may tough out the m9 for another year.

Yeah I know, I am waiting to see the new Nexus models and what happens to the 5x/6p prices before I buy. I like the 5x size but think I could handle a 6p if I had to, it will just depend on the price drops opposed to the new models. I have been tempted by the HTC10 but would prefer to get out of the carrier OS update restraints.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Wickerman posted:

If I could unlock the Turbo 2's bootloader I would probably switch to that from my Turbo. But we can't have nice things

This is pretty much the reason I picked up a used Moto X Pure instead of a Turbo 2.

Coming from a Nexus 6, I really miss the wireless charging, but at least I can install newer-ish software once Moto stops pushing updates.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

JayKay posted:

once Moto stops pushing updates.

:mmmhmm:

I seriously have an ace to grind with Motorola

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Goober Peas posted:

:mmmhmm:

I seriously have an ace to grind with Motorola

I hear you. I'm about to flop down a set of clubs on them.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Trump

:colbert:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

6p and 5x don't have wifi calling or HD Voice , right?

HD Voice/simultaneous voice + data, yes. WiFi calling, no.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

Doubt it, it's luck of the draw, and unfortunately Verizon is more likely to send a free network extender to someone who has had service for multiple years.

But like the other person said, if you have a phone with wifi calling that solves it there.

Late to this, but half the time when I make a call thru wifi at home it won't go thru because the number doesn't accept calls from wifi.

Even when I call my wife's Verizon phone :iiam:

Also, we are on month...6? in trying to get reimbursed by Verizon on the 'we will pay up to 650 (or however much it was) per phone to buy you out of your contract!' promo.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tide posted:

Late to this, but half the time when I make a call thru wifi at home it won't go thru because the number doesn't accept calls from wifi.
Why would a number care if you're calling from Wi-Fi or not? It should be transparent. I've never come across a phone number (cell or landline) that I can't reach from Wi-Fi calling.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why would a number care if you're calling from Wi-Fi or not? It should be transparent. I've never come across a phone number (cell or landline) that I can't reach from Wi-Fi calling.

I have gotten this error recording before and afaict it doesn't have anything to do with the receiving end, so much as call routing and ten digit dialing.

When on cellular, I can omit the area code when dialing if the number shares my own area code and I am not physically out of the area.

When on wifi calling, I typically have to dial all ten digits or I get a recording saying the number will not accept calls.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Always do 10 digits. Hell, with how easy it is to roam internationally now with Verizon, always do "+1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx" so calls go through even when processed by foreign carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The rumor on Reddit is that on July 1st rollover data is coming to Verizon

• Locked thread