Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, it was reported nearly a year ago that they didn't have any more Droid 1s to give out.

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/26/asurion-to-offer-droid-x/

As I recall, that was a temporary inventory shortage that cleared up within a couple weeks. I remember considering filing a claim for my OG Droid (had a bum headphone jack and some other issues at the time), but by the time I got around to it, they had gotten more of the D1 back in stock, and I didn't want to start playing the refurb roulette game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Kirios posted:

As the only one who has an Xperia Play here...I have to say I am really loving the device. Got Zenonia and Zenonia 2 on it and been playing those...having way more fun with those games than I ever did beforehand using a touchscreen. Asphalt 6 is also a blast to play. Crash Bandicoot is an old classic.

It may be an old chipset or whatever, but I don't care. This is easily THE gaming phone out now, and I feel bad for anyone that has to deal with touchscreen controls for gaming on a phone. It's...it's like a whole new world has opened up for me. :)

Just a quick question that for some reason only brings up spam sites in a Google search—how do the popular emulators (Nesoid, Snesoid, etc) work on the Play? Can you configure the buttons to work properly in the emulators? I stopped by the Verizon store to check this out, but for some reason none of the emulators even showed up in the Market.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Also, LTE phones will still also require a CDMA radio to operate on Verizon's network for the forseeable future, so your choices of device would be pretty limited.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

velocross posted:

Any users have the incredible 2? The "metal" finish and larger screen has me very interested but I just cant justify upgrading from the original incredible without dual core/lte being the ~future~.

There's almost no reason whatsoever to go for the Inc 2 at this point. Like you said, it doesn't have dual core OR LTE, and it's also one of the special new encrypted-bootoader HTC phones, so you don't even have the "near-infinite hackability" advantage there.

Basically, unless you REALLY love Sense 3.0 and/or absolutely need to buy a new phone, like, this week, you have every reason to hold off. And even if you do need a new phone this week, the Xperia Play, the Revolution (unless Bing really bothers you), and the Droid Charge (I know, I know, Samsung) are equally worth a look. The X2, too, unless you like ROMing or the PenTile screen bothers you.

Rumour has the Droid 3 landing sometime in early June, and the Bionic at some indeterminate point after that.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

More bionic info.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/06/more-droid-bionic-pictures-surface-4-5-qhd-screen-new-3d-blur-and-android-2-3-4/#more-35622

And now I'm unsure. 4.5" is just a tad too large for me. If that's the Atrix that it's next to, this phone is going to be massive.

Has there been any word on whether this is the phone with which Moto will begin to make good on their unlocked bootloader half-assed semi-promise?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chomper posted:

Before I waste my time tomorrow, can someone tell me if I have my thinking correct:

I have a DROID 1 as of now, which I am beginning to loathe.
I am not due for an upgrade until next year (February 2012) but my father's line has an upgrade available. I am allowed to use his upgrade on my line since my parents keep their dumbphones.

If I got to the VZW store tomorrow, will I only need to pay $199 plus tax for the iPhone 4? I can get the "discounted" 2-year contract price for any of the phones that have that special going on, such as $249.99 for the HTC Revolution, etc, correct?

The Revolution is an LG phone, but you're correct about everything else. If you're using an upgrade, you're eligible for the 2-year contract price.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The unfortunate thing about VZW's lineup right now is that you basically have to choose between next-gen specs and 4G. If you live in a 4G area and it's a priority to you, the Droid Charge is probably the best choice right now (despite it being a Samsung), since the Thunderbolt is riddled with bugs right now and gets like six hours of battery life, although this is supposed to be fixed with an OTA update soonish. The Revolution is decent, but Bing-ified to hell and back. It should be rootable and re-Googleable, though. If you don't live in an area that has (or is about to get) 4G, don't even bother with any of the 4G phones. All of them are basically last year's model with a 4G radio duct-taped to the back.

As far as non-4G phones, the Droid X2 has some powerful hardware, but a locked bootloader, so rooting/ROMing options will be limited. The Incredible 2 is a less beastly but still capable phone, although nobody knows if HTC's new unlocked bootloader policy will be applied retroactively. And if you can wait a few weeks, the Droid 3 is supposed to be hitting shelves near the end of June, and the Bionic a little after that (as this guy ^^^ mentioned). Of course, with all of the Moto phones, you have a locked bootloader to contend with. The Xperia Play is actually a respectable piece of hardware if you don't mind (or even want) the gamepad, and it's complete with stock Android and an unlocked bootloader. Only time will tell how well the dev community supports it, though.

Obviously you want to avoid any of last year's models (Fascinate, Droid 2, Droid Pro, and oh god especially the Continuum). Unfortunately, Verizon's lineup is at a bit of a transitory phase right now, with a lot of awesome stuff slated for "near future" release, so the longer you can hold off, the more choices you'll have.

And of course there's always the iPhone, but make sure you play around with it for a good while before picking it up. I know I've felt pretty constrained by iOS after having used Android for so long, since it's missing so many features (widgets, the ability to change the keyboard/launcher, a non-braindead notification system, quick access to WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS toggles, etc), although some of these are supposed to be fixed in iOS 5.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

dominator posted:

Probably early August for the Bionic?

And then maybe the Targa at some point after that, unless it turns out to not have 4G.

Unfortunately the roadmap on 4G phones is pretty fuzzy right now.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Clowcards posted:

The Bionic looks really nice, as does the Droid 3. How do people estimate the release dates? I heard end of month, end of summer. Do you think it would be worth waiting for either of these phones to come out? I know no one knows for sure, but just guessing from what has happened with past phone releases. Will they probably be in the 300 dollar range with a contract?

Most of the release date estimates come from leaked internal VZW documents. Of course, even these are less than 100% reliable, as unexpected problems can crop up (hello, Thunderbolt).

Whether they're worth waiting for is a matter of how badly you want/need a new phone right now. If you're chugging along on anything newer than the OG Droid and pretty happy, then it's definitely worth holding off for a bit to see what shows up, especially if you're in a 4G area. If you've been surviving on a dumbphone and really itching for an upgrade, it might be less worth holding out.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Krittick posted:

I think they allow you to use your normal number with Google Voice now. I've never used that specific feature though.

Only if you pay to port your number to GV, then get a new number from your carrier, which also means that people calling your old number won't get free mobile to mobile calling, since GV numbers are technically landlines.

There's also the Sprint service where you can share a number between GV and Sprint, but I'm assuming that's not a great choice in the Verizon thread. I wish Verizon would get the same service.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Acrolos posted:

I received the replacement device and it has the same issue. I also stopped by two Verizon stores and their devices had the problem as well. It appears that it is a flaw with the phone, and a lot of people just don't notice it. For me, it's insanely frustrating.

I ended up keeping the phone though, because I don't want to have to deal with anything else when I'm really only keeping this until the Bionic or another good phone comes out.

Unfortunately this is the result of HTC using subpar DAC hardware in their phones. You can alleviate/bypass the problem to some extent by using higher-impedance headphones, but it'll never sound as good as an iPod (or even some other phones like the original Galaxy S, after a bit of hacking).

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Acrolos posted:

Do you have a recommendation for a high imedance headphone? Preferably one that is an in-ear model that fits in the ear canal?

I have searched, but all I can find are a couple giant pairs of headphones, which probably sound great but would look really weird at my job where everyone uses earbuds.

Unfortunately I solved the problem by using my iPod when I wanted to use my low impedance earbuds (Etymotic ER-6i) and only using the phone for Bluetooth audio streaming (which bypasses the crappy DAC), but you should be able to alleviate the problem somewhat by getting one of those extension cables with a built-in volume control, turning it down slightly, and cranking up the phone volume to compensate.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

KingSlime posted:

So how do you think the lackluster amount of ram might translate to the phone's performance? Is 512 still enough for the average user?

It's probably not a huge problem this month, but future OS updates could easily make it a big problem.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

If you're on unlimited you'll be grandfathered

Upgrading your device and renewing your contract doesn't nix this?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

yamdankee posted:

Especially since it looks like we're all losing A at some point.

Whoa, what? Let's tone down the fear-mongering. These devices cost $600-800 off-contract. There's no way, in the current US mobile phone market, that subsidized upgrades are ending anytime soon.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

kensei posted:

Is there a 4G phone out now that compares to the Incredible? That is what I have now and I might be willing to give it to the wife if I can get a similar handset that does 4G.

The Thunderbolt is basically the Incredible with a 4G radio duct-taped to the back, a bigger screen, and some extra RAM.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Hamburglar posted:

I'm confused about aGPS and GPS. I know aGPS is assisted GPS, which I think means it uses triangulation for the navigation. So basically if you're in an area with no cell service, you're hosed. GPS actually has a GPS receiver built into it which is infinitely better (I think) because as long as you can see the sky, you'll get navigation. In fact, if you use IGO8 on your phone (which stores all the maps/software on your SDcard and it doesn't use data at all) you could actually use your phone as a GPS even with the cell being inactive, right? Did I get this right?

And why does the Thunderbolt I just ordered say aGPS/GPS. It does both? Why?

You got the basics right, but every Android phone (including your new Thunderbolt) has both aGPS and a real GPS chip inside. The reason is that the aGPS helps the GPS chip get a faster lock by giving it a rough location approximation, which narrows the window of satellites that the GPS has to search for. I believe you can still get a lock with no data/cell connection on an Android phone, but it takes much longer.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Hamburglar posted:

Awesome info, thank you. I never found regular GPS' to take too long to get a lock; my $60 Mio used to lock from a fresh boot to a lock in like 40 seconds.

So let's say I'm in the Lincoln Tunnel in Manhattan, where a normal GPS will lose signal, but I could still make a phone call. Would my navigation software still work? Or does it just use aGPS for the initial lock, then any time GPS is lost you're screwed?

Not exactly sure how it would work in that case to be honest, but Google Navigation caches your route as soon as you set it, so as long as you had done that before entering the tunnel, in the worst case it would pick up your location as soon as you exited.

My guess is that in that situation, you could still use coarse location-based services ("Figure out which city I'm in and tell me the weather here"), but since the cell tower-based location isn't precise enough for turn-by-turn navigation, you'd lose that until you got a clear GPS lock again.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

No manufacturer is perfect, but I would argue LG makes great smartphones overall. The Alley, however, would not be one of those great ones.

Isn't the G2x also a disaster, software-wise? I think it makes sense to be cautious about LG until they prove themselves with at least one hit. They're sort of the new Samsung.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

dominator posted:

Yeah I think they really hosed up not making the D3 an LTE phone, there really isn't a reason they couldn't have.

That we know about, at least. The fact that they haven't managed to produce a single LTE phone, combined with the delays on the 4G upgrade for the Xoom, has led to (justified) speculation that Moto is having a lot of trouble with LTE for some reason.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

low-key-taco posted:

Due to crazy cost difference of android phone vs iphones for me and my girl ($200X2 for iphone, $150 BOGO on android) I ended up signing up with verizon and getting two HTC incredible 2s. I dithered a bit on droid x2 vs incredible and went with the htc randomly but I can return them. Reviews on these phones seem pretty spec heavy, anyone have thoughts?

Three main differences:

1) Higher-res screen on the X2, but some people HATE the Pentile matrix they used, while others don't even notice it. This is totally a matter of personal preference.

2) Dual-core processor on the X vs single-core on Inc2. Could be a big deal down the road, but not particularly so right now, especially given...

3) Sense UI (HTC) vs Blur (Moto). Sense seems to be the better-liked of these two, but it's again a matter of personal preference.

There's also the global capability of the Inc2, if that matters to you, and the Inc2 has also been unlocked/rooted and will probably have a decent development community, while the X2 has a locked bootloader that will likely never be cracked unless Moto themselves unlock it.

You can't really go wrong with either phone, since most of the differences are up to personal preference. If you can't live without knowing that your phone has cutting-edge specs, and the screen doesn't bother you, better get the X2 instead. Otherwise the Inc2 should last you a good long while, and it'll likely have MUCH better community support in the long run.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

dominator posted:

This is correct.

Didn't Moto learn their lesson about skimping on RAM with the OG Droid?? :doh:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Ryokurin posted:

I know there's a few that have 768 and 1gb of memory, but is 512 really all that bad? I'm coming from a 3gs, so I know some things about low memory but people talk like 512 is the kiss of death.

Also, how many apps out there still require internal storage only installation? With all the problems that are still unresolved with the thunderbolt, it seems like the only real alternative is the Charge, but everyone dogs the 2gb of storage as another kiss of death, even though the thunderbolt really only has 4gb with 2.6gb available.

It's not that 512 is a huge problem today, but much like with the OG Droid, it's less than is being put in other top phones, and could end up choking performance as memory requirements increase with new apps and versions of Android. For a device that has you signing a two-year contract, it's dispiriting to see the thing being so poorly future-proofed.

edit: vvv what he said. Also, the phone HTC is having trouble fitting Gingerbread onto is the Desire.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 3, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Evidence is mounting that August 4th will be the launch day for Bionic (possibly with direct fill being a week early on July 28th to fulfill the promise of a "late july launch")

Has there been any word on the bootloader? I assume it's still locked, but with the Atrix situation and August being the earliest possible part of "late 2011", I stupidly cling to hope.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Anyone here have a Samsung Continuum Galaxy S? My wife and I are thinking about upgrading and we could get two of those phones for $50 through Verizon. We have been looking for smartphones but I have not heard too much about the Galaxy. Any information would be appreciated.

The Continuum was already outdated when it was released last year and is pretty much the poster child for Samsung's piss-poor software support. You would be better off with literally any phone in the store except the Citrus and Vortex.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Pascallion posted:

They were interested in trying the Fascinate, but since those aren't made anymore (we didn't know that since our store still keeps a model on the floor...seriously, what the gently caress).

For this, they should give thanks to whatever deity they may believe in.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Really, aside from the screen, I can't think of a compelling reason to get a GSII over the Bionic anyways. The new blur is so much better than touchwiz and Moto actually seems to know what they are doing with CDMA devices (unlike Samsung.)

While the screen alone is probably enough for a lot of people, the GSII's unlocked bootloader and at least semi-encouraging signs of dev community support from Samsung (see: free phones for CM team) are a stark contrast to Motorola's "Go buy another phone if you want ROMs" attitude.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

A Verizon GSII is going to be a bastard child due to the CDMA radio and doubly so if it has an LTE radio in it. You cannot look at the current dev support and infer that it will be as good for Verizon. Also, there are pretty compelling indicators that US bound GSIIs will be tegra 2 rather than Samsung's processor, so gently caress that noise.

Ugh, hadn't heard about that last bit. Definitely would turn me off on the phone.

As for the dev support, of course it wouldn't automatically translate to a Verizon GSII, but Samsung's interest in the dev community is an encouraging sign. Someone (ExcessBlarg maybe?) posted in one of these threads about how the main problem with the original GS line was the piss-poor source control practices, leading to a complete inability to port bugfixes across the various devices. Add in the use of userspace binary drivers, and you get the mess we had over here in the US. Since the latter seems to have been cleared up with the GSII, it's not unreasonable to imagine that they could have made strides in the former as well. (And of course, ExcessBlarg, any corrections/clarifications to my tortured understanding of the situation would be highly welcome!)

Sure, they could still screw up a Verizon GSII in all sorts of ways, but it's worth at least seeing how things turn out.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Everyone knew there would be a xoom 2 though...it was almost a given.

Yeah, but most people were counting on the LTE upgrade and full SD card support to show up before the Xoom 2.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I will be surprised if there's a Verizon release soon. The only LTE Samsung phone on Verizon's roadmap for the rest of this year is the Stratosphere and that's been all but confirmed as the QWERTY slider that was leaked awhile back.

The 29th is before the release of the bionic anyways so we'll see then, but I'm really not expecting an eminent Verizon release.

Except that the Verizon S2 is unlikely to have LTE.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

If the SGSII launches without LTE, it's not worth wasting a subsidy over

That's certainly a valid opinion, but it hardly means we have proof that the SGS2 isn't coming to VZW anytime soon.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

All I'm saying is there are two Samsung phones for this year on Verizon's roadmap that was leaked, the stratosphere and the illusion. The stratosphere is expected to be the 4g QWERTY slider and the illusion is expected to be a low to mid range device.

It's certainly possible that one of them is actually the SGSII or that it's coming and not on the roadmap, but it seems unlikely right now.

I would also point out that both the Sprint and ATT version have passed FCC at this point. Nothing for Verizon yet.

There is a Samsung Plato slated for January and I would say that would be the best candidate for a SGSII variant. That seems like enough time for them to rework the LTE SGSII announced for Korea for Verizon.

Actually, most analysts have the next iPhone pegged for October at this point. Plus, we know Apple plays by their own rules when it comes to information control.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I got confused by this part:

bull3964 posted:

The only LTE Samsung phone

and thought you were implying that if there's no LTE GS2, there wouldn't be any for Verizon.

I need to go to bed.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Can I use my Droid X to browse the Internet on wifi in Europe? It won't somehow charge me anything because it's a CDMA phone and everything there is GSM so there's nothing it can connect to, right?

Yes, and correct. Just make sure to leave the phone in airplane mode (which still lets you toggle WiFi) or your phone will kill the battery in a vain search for a CDMA signal.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bigtom posted:

I have a Thunderbolt as well that I want to root, if only to kill CityID & the other Verizon bloatware than is stuck in there - do you have a link to the YouTube vid that you used? Also, will I be able to load the HTC Sense UI back onto the phone? I'm actually fond of it...

Rooting alone won't remove Sense. You'd need a custom AOSP ROM for that. As long as you don't install one (which is really difficult to do accidentally), you can keep Sense.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

I'm playing around with the Bionic and I've noticed it came with a bunch of installed apps that I will probably never use, like the Blockbuster one. I can't seem to delete them, am I just not doing it right or are these stuck on my phone?

Most third-party launchers let you hide apps from the drawer, but you have to root to permanently remove them. I think there's a workaround for Blur devices to hide certain apps in the stock launcher, but someone with a Moto device will have to provide more details there.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

I can take this to the Android app thread if it's off topic, but for example, I see that the Bionic has Google Maps + Navigation already installed on it, which is great...but it also has another app called VZ Navigator that, well, also provides maps and navigation.

The difference is that Google Nav is free (well, it counts against your data allowance if you have one), while VZ Navigator costs $10 a month. I think you can also get a day pass for $3.

In other words, use Google.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

How can you tell?

If it was preinstalled on your phone, you have the OEM version.

If you requested an beta invitation, waited a random amount of time ranging from thirty seconds to six months, received the beta invitation email, clicked a link, created an account, opened the account creation email on your phone, downloaded the installer app from your phone's browser, ran that app to download and install Swype, worked your way through the activation process, tried to use it, swore because something got screwed up in their asinine licensing system and it refuses to let you swipe words, uninstalled both Swype and the installer app, and started again with a fresh download of the installer, and it finally worked that time, then you have the beta version.

Also I think sometimes the beta version refuses to install on phones that came with OEM Swype preinstalled. Someone else should be able to explain how to get around this.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Well, what I was really after was what was the current version number of the beta.

In my defence, that's not really even close to what you asked for. You'll still probably have to do some trickery to get the beta version onto the phone that came with the OEM version, though, no matter how similar the versions.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I've been playing with battery modes just so I can get an idea of what to expect.

On max performance, I'm sitting at ~70% charge at the end of a workday under my normal use patterns (really only using the phone at lunch). That's with LTE on and push enabled for everything (including work email.) That idle usage is close to what I would see with my OG Droid.

I'm doing the battery saver mode right now where it disables data when the phone is idle for 15 minutes since my phone sits most of the day doing nothing. As expected, the battery really isn't being touched. I'm >90% after 5 hours off charge.

Tomorrow, I may disable 4G and see what the battery is like sitting around on 3G all day.

I think they really need to have an extra battery profile that shuts off 4G when idle for 15 minutes and switches to 3G until woken up. 3g is more than sufficient for background push notifications and 4G is really only needed on interactive use. It just seems like that's the best compromise for 4G phones until the 2nd gen chipsets come out that are less power hungry.

^^^ Seconding; that's a fantastic idea. Could this be done with Tasker? It seems like the sort of thing that justifies that app's existence, but is it capable of toggling 4G on Verizon phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

yamdankee posted:

I couldn't think of a broader thread to post this in, so as a Verizon customer I thought I'd just ask here. Has anyone heard of cell phone numbers "going public" soon? I got an email from a friend saying our cell phone numbers are going to be available to telemarketers and that we'll start receiving calls soon unless we call the national do not call center. Is this true?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

• Locked thread