Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Great overview of the service. I have nothing to add that I can think of at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

VZW will tell you it's required if you tell them you're using it to connect to corp Exchange.

If you don't tell them, they don't charge you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Clowcards posted:

So now I am comparing the Droid X2 and the Droid Charge.

I really like the 4.3 inch screen and the physical buttons on both. I plan to do a lot of web browsing on the phone, and want the large screen experience. I like the dual core processor on the X2. The charge comes with more memory. I am not sure if I need 4G, but it would probably be really nice. Any other big differences or opinions on these 2 phones?

Do you currently have to pay extra for 4G coverage, or is it covered in the same 30 dollar data plan?

The X2 uses a pentile matrix LCD :psyduck: which has so far been regarded as the worst phone screen choice yet (I personally think it looks like poo poo, and I have a pentile screen already).

The charge has the SAMOLED+, which is even better than the SAMOLED that's in the current crop of SGS phones.

LTE (It's not actually 4G yet) is dependent on your area. If it's available, go for it. Speeds are ridiculous and latency is almost down to cable broadband levels.

Currently, $30/month covers 3G or 4G, they haven't announced if/when LTE plans will go tiered, but it will likely happen eventually.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Super Dude posted:

Yeah I don't see it on mine. It's a phone, not my home theater system.

I see it, but it's not enough to bother me. Even then, I only really notice it with text, particularly in high-contrast situations. The vibrancy of the colors and the depth of the black (effectively total) are more than enough to compensate for me.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

clayburn posted:

I recently got married and want to pull my phone and my wife's phone off of our parent's plans onto a family plan together. I am also an idiot when it comes to cell phone plans, so I really don't know what I am doing. I went and talked to the guy at Verizon and he gave me a number for Assumption of Liability. I gathered from him that the process is that each of our parents calls to release us and then I call to pick her line up. What I am curious about is how to do this and get new phones and contract for us. Ideally, I would like to pick us up smartphones while Verizon still offers the unlimited data and get the two of us together on a family plan. I know I got the email the other day that I could get a new phone, but I don't think she is quite due for one yet. What I am assuming I have to do is something like:
1. My dad releases me
2. I sign new individual contract, get new phone
3. Wait until she can get a new phone
4. Her dad releases her
5. I pick her line up
6. We get a family plan
7. She gets a new phone

But can I even do that? Will they let me go from an individual plan to a family plan and we both get the discounted phone upgrades?

Where are the both of you in your 2 years under your parents' contracts?

If you're not bound with ETF, it might just be easier for you to start a completely new family plan with you and your wife, canceling/porting the old lines afterward. Not sure if you can port numbers between accounts on VZW, though, so that could be a snag if you want to keep your existing #s.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

clayburn posted:

I think mine is up in August and hers is up in September. I do know I got an email from them the other day saying that I could upgrade my phone now, although I don't know what exactly that means for my contract. I can check the email after work to see exactly what it says.

You can upgrade 2 months before your contract is up. You'd still have to wait to port off, though.

Sounds like you're better off doing the liability transfer.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Haha, this gets even more comically bad.

Are you one of the lucky people that gets a business (employer) "feature" discount -- usually 20%? It will no longer apply to the $30 data plan.

Congratulations, next month your bill will go up by $5.99/mo.

Hmm... I'm wondering if that qualifies under the "Materially adverse" stuff. If they do that, and it does, I'd definitely be willing to investigate jumping. I'll take my $200/month back to Sprint and sell my Fascinates for $175/ea, turning a $125/ea profit (we got them for $50/ea at signup).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Can a carrier just yank something like grandfathered unlimited data? Is there a precedent set? (i.e. not speculation)

They can, but it also allows people to dump their contracts, since it's a price-change within-contract.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I would say this is a pretty accurate gauge of the interest in WP7

FTFY

WP7 was way too late to the party. They flogged 6.1 and 6.5 too long and then brought out a phone with a feature set that's already been superseded by the other two major players, and the only unique features were only enough to roust a half-hearted 'meh' from anyone other than extreme MS-philes.

I'm not sure how long they're going to continue to flog WP7. If they want it to go anywhere, they need at least 1 feature that blows the other players out of the water for everyone. Zune and XBL are cool, but people who don't have an XBox really couldn't give a poo poo.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So it appears that another regulatory fee change is coming. Or the annual "Let's let all of our unhappy customers go and boost our customer service numbers" fray.

According to a friend of my wife's, if one were to do an early termination of this type, they would have to pay back the difference in their subsidized phone costs.

In other words, if they got out ETF free, they'd still effectively have to pay an ETF.

Is there anything to this, or does my wife's friend have her head way up her rear end?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

This is impossible to answer without knowing who they bought the phone from. If it was from Verizon's online or retail store, no. If it was from a third party "authorized reseller" (like Amazon, Wirefly, or the the random store down the street that isn't owned by Verizon", maybe since those places have their own, additional set of terms.

It was retail. So at least for us, the WireFly/Amazon/WalMart factor is irrelevant.

It's also what I thought.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

Just yesterday my wife got a new LG Cosmos Touch (after signing a new agreement, naturally). After charging it and getting Backup Assistant set up, she got in the tub, came out, and found either a deep scratch or a crack on the screen. The more I look at it the more I think it's a crack. The odd thing is we have no idea how it could have gotten there. Our kid was asleep and where it was, had one of our cats jumped up there it would have fallen on the floor.

She just got off the phone with Verizon and the guy's telling her she must have had it in her pocket or something, which makes zero sense because she was in the tub while this happened. My best guess is some sort of latent stress from temperature differences because it got to 92° here yesterday. What can we do?

She has 30 days to cancel the new agreement. Just take it to the store and remind them of that.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

yamdankee posted:

I recently moved from an apartment that had great signal to a house that has pretty poor signal. Before I start paying for two forms of Internet again (cable + 3G), is there a recommended signal booster device that I can buy? Googling comes up with a lot of results but I have no idea where to begin with this sort of thing.

You could try something like this: http://www.szelins.com/Mini_Repeater_Booster_Amplifier.html which would attach outside (where there might be better signal) and transmit that signal inside.

There's really not that much out there, though from what I've been able to find. I've been contemplating something like this just for my basement, since my signal goes to utter poo poo the instant my phone gets below ground level.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I think a lot of the pentile problems are related to your own visual resolution/acuity.

Personally, I have really good vision, and I can easily see the pentile on my Fascinate, but it's not enough to bother me.

Strangely enough, though: even with it's much higher qHD resolution, the pentile on the DX2 really bothers me. I really can't stand to look at it. The only thing I can think of is that the addition of the white subpixel is messing with my perception and creating an illusion of pixellation.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

nickhimself posted:

So this is cool. Had 4G in my area for the first time ever today. Battery charging through the PC's usb (which I've done many times before) and I just noticed it's down to 87% from 100. I'm actually losing charge while my phone flips out inside of our office building as it tries to hold onto a signal. I'll range from no service to 4G in here. =/

I'm sure something else is draining the battery that hard, but jesus. It's PLUGGED IN and losing battery.

Pulling the battery and seeing if that helps.

At least I DID get to mess around with 4G for a bit, and jesus christ it's fast. Makes me feel like my phone went from 56k to cable.

If they're just lighting up the towers in your area, it's probably going in and out up and down as they get things set up and tuned. That kind of activity will gently caress with your battery like none other.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So it looks like it's official policy now for Tier2 support to offer you a different phone if you're experiencing missed calls/VMs with no ring on your Fascinate.

I've been seeing this randomly, so I went ahead and took advantage of it. My Charge will be here on Monday.

Since I spend most of my time between the Ann Arbor and Flint areas, it will be nice, since LTE is turned on (speed tests run between 10-22Mbit from what I've seen) in both.

The options on offer are: Charge, Incredible2, and X2.

Edit: If you're thinking of doing this, do it quickly. Samsung has promised a fix at the end of this month, and if they DO manage to get it out the door (yeah, right. I've heard the "We've got an update coming soon that will fix this" line before), then the offer will be pulled (until it's shown that the problem still persists).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

jfreder posted:

Droid-Life tweeted yesterday that 2nd-init was coming soon for the X2 which would enable CM7/MIUI on it. I am not really aware of the state of things for the Inc2 but you say the development community is decent. Personally I'd get an X2 but that's because I'm pretty happy with my X (even though I can't run CM7 because the froyo kernel causes me to have constant reboots) plus dual core and I've gotten used to a 4.3" screen.

No FFC and locked bootloader immediately put the X2 out of the running. I like the DInc2, and was actually set on getting it, but as soon as I saw the non-pentile SAMOLED+ on the Charge my brain melted and I knew there was only one decision that could possibly have been made.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

They didn't actually offer me a Charge, I wasn't going to push it though. The guy I was talking to was really knowledgeable though so I just played dumb. Plus he offered it to me first thing. I hate Samsung less, he made it sound like I had them to thank for my new phone.

Ahh... My tech actually recommended the Charge because 4G is lit up in both of the areas I spend most of my time in (Ann Arbor and Flint)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

Yea FFC is of little use to me right now.

I have young kids, so the FFC is perfect for when I go away on training or to CES/E3.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

yamdankee posted:

I feel like an idiot for posting this because it's probably been covered before. I wanted to know what you are all doing about it though. I never even noticed/thought about it.

Using your Google Voice number exclusively basically destroys Mobile-to-Mobile. Am I right in saying that? If I make a call from my GV number to another Verizon mobile number, I'm still using up minutes. If someone calls my GV number from another Verizon mobile number, I'm still using up minutes. It looks like the only way to still 'use' Mobile-to-Mobile is if the other person calls my Verizon number.

I only have 700 minutes a month. I want to be able to take advantage of Mobile-to-Mobile, but I don't want to have to tell people to only call my VZW number and to only text my GV number. Is there anything we do to circumvent this or has this been general knowledge that we have to put up with and I'm really slow in figuring it out?

If you have a high enough plan, you can set up to 10 numbers (regardless of technology or network) that you can call for free at all times. If you set your GVoice number to that, then any calls routed to you from there will count as free.

If the person you're trying to talk to is on Verizon, it's pretty irrelevant, unless you have no texting plan at all, in which case GVoice would be nice.

I don't know if you're going to be able to make everything play quite as nice as you would like, though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Scipiotik posted:

Everyone who works in the cellphone marketing industry is a god damned moron.

FTFY. There are some pretty smart people in the development and design areas, but marketing people will be marketing people.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

wandler20 posted:

How did you get them to replace it? I have a Fascinate and it's starting to annoy me with its little issues more and more each day.

You missed the boat, at least for a little while.

The latest update has dropped from Samsung, and the replacement program is on-hold indefinitely until they evaluate whether the fix actually solves the missed call issue.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Not to mention the fact that they're releasing a phone that's roughly the same spec's as the Atrix on AT&T (pretty much the same phone, really) but 6 full months later, right in the middle of the SGS II hype.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So I loaded up a ROM on my Charge this week that's based on the latest Gingerbread leak from Verizon.

First day: 20 hours on the battery with moderate usage and LTE on full-time.

The GB builds are just awesome with battery, and this isn't even the fully released version yet.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

Alright, I'm not quite sure how to get my head around this. I've got a two-year contract that is ending on 9/1/11, and a Blackberry Tour 9630. My plan is the Nationwide Talk 450, which I've been using for years and years, with an unlimited data plan (this isn't my first Blackberry). I'm also NE2 eligible right now.

I want to switch over to an Android phone, and it looks like in September the new phones are coming out. Thing is, my contract is ending on 9/1. I know that will switch me over to a MtM dealie, but will that cause me to lose my unlimited data plan as far as being grandfathered in? I plan on staying with Verizon, so I wanted to purchase a new phone with a 2-year plan for the discount (and use my NE2 if possible), but it seems like I'm a week or two shy of being able to do everything I want.

Going M2M doesn't change the terms of your account. It only means that you're not bound to stay with them anymore. Upgrading to an Android phone won't change your plan (though some feature codes for BIS/LTE/etc might change depending on the device you get) in a way that will trigger you losing your unlimited.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Just called someone out on XDA for trying to pull a "total FatWallet dick move".

He's going to try to get Verizon to give him a Bionic because he's having problems with his Charge. Problems that are specific to his device (nobody else, at least not a large population of people, is complaining about the same issues). He hasn't called VZW for assistance. He hasn't taken his phone to the store to have it checked out.

He's using the Fascinate replacement program as his precedent, and his posts in the thread reek of herp derp :hurr:

gently caress I hate it when people try to abuse a legitimate program. Just makes it harder for people who legitimately have problems to get them resolved in a reasonable manner.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

I'm playing around with the Bionic and I've noticed it came with a bunch of installed apps that I will probably never use, like the Blockbuster one. I can't seem to delete them, am I just not doing it right or are these stuck on my phone?

You have to root to uninstall anything that's in /system

This is the poo poo part about Verizon. You buy a top of the line phone, and they still load it up with crapware as though you bought a bottom of the barrel Dell laptop or something.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

NewcastleBrown posted:

4G wreaks havoc on my car speakers. Apparently in 1997 Volvo wasn't anticipating 4G LTE and didn't properly shield something or other, because every time I let the 4G fly I get all sorts of clicking and buzzing. Never had that problem with 3G in the car.

What about with a 3G GSM phone? Those used to drive speakers bananas.

I wonder if it's a function of the 700MHz band that VZW is using?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

I think you can safely discount any news of this magnitude that's transmitted solely by email forwarding. If anything like this were real, you'd have heard about it via dozens of legitimate news sources first.

But the email said it was verified on CNN and by Microsoft and PepsiCo!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I get better LTE coverage than CDMA 3G coverage at home. I generally get 1-2 bars of 3G, but stay pretty consistently at 3-4 bars of LTE.

At home, where apparently nobody has an LTE phone yet besides me and my wife, I can pull 10-15Mbit with 1-2 bars of LTE. If I go upstairs where I get 3-4 bars of LTE, I can pull 22Mbit+

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Lansing, Michigan chuckles at your lack of 4g.

e: So does Grand Rapids and Flint.

Especially Flint. Not sure why LTEing the ghetto makes that much sense, but I'm happy for it. Particularly in my small town south of Flint, where I can get 4 bars of LTE (I've started refusing to call it 4G) upstairs and pull 22Mbit.

Apparently they're lighting up Saginaw this month, as well.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ibsen posted:

Right now I have a G1 with T-Mobile that I've had since around they came out. Lets say I want to now get a Bionic. What will I have to pay, and will the bionic be priced into the plan? Would it be 60 + 30 for talk & text + data, respectively?

You'll have to get some sort of voice plan + a data plan (and texting if you want it).

Smartphone data plans start at $30/month and include 2GB of data usage. Up to $80/month will get you 5GB (or is it 10?).

You'll need to buy the phone separately. Depending on the current deals available, it seems like you can pick up a Bionic anywhere from $179 to $299 with a new 2-year agreement.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Verizon Wireless Megathread: PENTILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

If you're one of the 3 people still trapped in the '90s and are using the dial-in voicemail service, caveat emptor.

VVM on Verizon costs $2/month (or is it $3?).

gently caress Verizon's VVM

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Weird. Looks like my primary line (my phone) got bumped up, as well. I wasn't eligible until 5/30/12, but when I looked today, it says my line is eligible now. Took a look at the available phones, and everything shows 2-year pricing.

If I hold out until May, though, I'll be able to use my final NE2 discount, even though it's not that much anymore.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

WaffleStomp posted:

I have a question about the family plans that Verizon offers. Currently, my fiancee is on her Mom's family plan with her Droid1. I'd like to make the switch to Verizon from AT&T for the 4gs on the 14th - just how exactly do I do this, and can I do this since I'm not technically a family member yet?

Can I just walk in the store with my fiancee, or do I need the person with me who is the main account holder?

You don't need to be an actual family member to get on a family plan. You will, however need the primary account holder available when you port your line into their plan.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Dan Hollis posted:

Agreed, I'm waiting for the new HTC Jupiter:

Hey, at least he's listening to Gnarls Barkley.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

kalibar posted:

The real shame here is that this iPhone is otherwise extremely impressive. I really don't get the negative sentiment other than the complaints over the LTE omission.

The problem for most people that I've been talking to about it, is that the event and rumors (and the strange new cases showing up at AT&T stores) made it feel like a revolutionary change was coming up (think original iPhone to iPhone 3G), and then when the announcement came down, what they got was an evolutionary change (think iPhone 3G to 3GS).

The hardware inside last year's case and behind last year's screen is pretty impressive, but without a design change, people felt like they weren't getting much.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

My evdo speeds vary widely by location. At my house, I can consistently pull about 2.3Mbps. At work however, I'm lucky if I get 300Kbps. It's not even raw speed either as there seems to be a decent amount of packet loss in places.

LTE, the minimum I've seen is around 12Mbps and it's usually closer to 19-23Mbps.

Even when I'm home and can get near max evdo speeds, there's still a very pronounced difference between it and LTE. LTE is basically indistinguishable from wifi most of the time.

With my lovely router, LTE is faster than WiFi for me at home. I have 30/3 cable, but my router shits itself anywhere more than 11Mbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

DeNofa posted:

To stay on topic: How much of a dick is Big Red going to be if I want to preorder an iPhone on Friday if I'm not up for an upgrade until Sunday? I have a long-time family plan, don't miss payments, good credit, etc; if that makes a difference.

Assume they are going to be a dick about, how impossible is going to be to get on Sunday?

You could probably call them/stop by a store now and ask how the process would go. Since you're eligible for upgrade by the time the phone releases, it shouldn't be a huge problem.

If they give you a bunch of poo poo about it, just wait until Sunday and preorder then.

• Locked thread