Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Anyone else living in a 4g area finding coverage really strangely spotty? I'm finding areas with full strong signal just a block away from areas with none, but just another block down the road and there'll be a weak signal. I'm seeing this all around Tampa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

nickhimself posted:

At least you've got 4G access. My thunderbolt is still running 3G until Verizon unlocks it in my area. =[

Any day now...

I don't actually have a 4g phone, but my girlfriend does.

But now I'm staring at having to get together enough cash to buy a crappy phone in the hopes of selling it in just a handful of months for a better one losing out on a ton of cash I really shouldn't be wasting because I am way too into technology.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Just a shot in the dark, but would anyone happen to know why I've been getting calls meant for a pediatrician's office in Seattle ever since the alltel-Verizon merge?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

hotsauce posted:

Hmm...what's the name of the office?

Edit: I have no idea why you are getting calls. I just happen to know most Pediatricians in Seattle...and was curious.

I don't recall the name, but I think it was greek sounding. I've never managed to answer one of these misdirected calls and always end up missing them by a few seconds and end up with a voicemail.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Is there anywhere I can see the most recent info on the Bionic? Googling is just bringing up lots of junk that conflicts with each other or old blog posts from when it got renamed.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Why is a phone supposedly due out within a month such a mystery? It's worrying that the development has been changed so much none of the leaks are agreeing.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

AppleCobbler posted:

Because otherwise Apple sues you before you can get it out into the market.

Sadly this makes sense :smith:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
How do we figure out if that full 1gb is available or is half of it locked away for webtop functions?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

bull3964 posted:

This turned out to be a false rumor about webtop. It doesn't consume ram when it's not docked.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11564502&postcount=10

Oh Cool.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I can hear every phone manufacturer cry about their form factors as they read this post.

Do you realize how much uglier that would make smartphones?

I think bulbous lumpy phones would be pretty sweet. If its round its "ergonomic".

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Am I just half-blind already or do a lot of you guys have some kind of supervision and can pick out pentile screens from a mile away and when they're in your face see nothing but a screen pattern? On my Droid Inc, or on the Droid 3 in stores I can't see the pattern at all unless I hold it perfectly perpendicular to my line of sight and look for it. On the 3 its more difficult than on my Inc too.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

kalibar posted:

snip

Looking at the comparison photos in that link I fail to see anything glaringly obviously different other than the colors. And honestly I dislike Samsung's stupidly saturated colors with SAMOLED+.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
In the Bionic hands-on videos has anyone else noticed that its fairly common for the guy to have to swipe/tap multiple times to get it to register?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

kalibar posted:

Topolsky reviewed it and didn't have a lot to say about the display. He mentioned getting 11 hours off the battery, which sounds same as (worse than?) the Charge:

I dunno, I was an Atrix hater when it dropped and I guess I'm becoming a Bionic hater. The "point" of the lovely display was supposed to be battery savings, but it's not looking like that's really the case unless the dual-core OMAP is really just hoovering that much juice. It looks like the LTE choice for now is pretty clearly raw performance (Bionic) vs. better screen (Charge).

I think its the LTE sucking on the battery. First gen LTE radios are bad enough the Iphone 5 probably still won't be 4g.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Motorola Spyder/Droid Razr is beautiful.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
For a phone with unlimited data that is on a family plan (and the only phone with data), but it isn't the primary line: How would you go about getting that phone off the family plan without losing the unlimited? Or is it impossible?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Nut Bunnies posted:

What a load of poo poo. My Droid Incredible doesn't have a scratch on it after 20 months. I'm not remotely careful with it anymore, either. I'm not the only one here with a similar story.

My Dinc has been the same way until last week when it picked up a deep scratch inside my pocket that I can see at any angle/feel whenever I touch, and a few minor ones that I can see when I'm not looking at the screen at a 90* angle.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Ernie Luckman posted:

There are people who don't use autopay? Seriously do you enjoy paying that bill manually every month?

Anyway, played with a Gnex last night, didn't wow me as much as i thought it might. Anyone care to weigh in on the Razr vs Gnex debate i'm waging in my head?

I don't use autopay because I can't always guarantee my account will have a sufficient balance on that particular day thanks to general poorness/charges not actually going through until some random date after the actual purchase. That is probably the case for many who don't use it.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Where's the best price/value to grab a Gnex on an upgrade/last NE2 discount? Also the same question but about the rezound.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Welp, the Galaxy Nexus is still backordered on Amazon. Any word on which part of that 1-3 weeks is more likely to see more stock?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I was about to ask if the 3G network is having any issues since I seem to have been stuck with minimum strength 1X all day around Tallahassee, but as I was typing this it came back.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
What's the current dumbphone recommendation?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

bull3964 posted:

around 600kbps on EVDO.

Is this a number that's close to normal? All around Tallahassee I've been getting 5-50kbps on my Droid Incredible.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
If that's the case I might need to reconsider not wanting an iphone solely because of a lack of 4G :v:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
If I have the Asurion insurance on a Droid Incredible what phone should I expect as a replacement?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

beejay posted:

I was all set to pull the trigger on an iPhone 4S today because it's the first day I'm eligible for an upgrade and my Incredible has been generally making GBS threads itself for a couple months now. However, the reps at the Verizon store said my area will have 4G service by the end of the year. How much would I be kicking myself if I went ahead and got the 4S? How much better is 4G than 3G I guess would be the question. I'd like to know from real people rather than the salesperson.

Get a 4S and case, sell it for 80% of msrp a week before the next iPhone is out and buy it unsubsidized. Or a 4G phone if you really want went 3G hits your area.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

kitten smoothie posted:

I thought about this when buying a 4S but I couldn't help but think the resale value of a Verizon 4S would drop a fair bit when an LTE model comes out.

An AT&T model wouldn't really have this problem because the HSPA+ is still decently fast. But assuming they can hit it out of the park with regard to battery life in an LTE iPhone the way they have with the LTE iPad, I dunno why you'd spend $480 on a used EVDO 4S when $120 more would get you something that would smoke it.

Sell on Amazon, people are stunningly uninformed.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sprint has unlimited data...too bad their network is poo poo.

Maybe if this move by VZW forces enough people to jump ship and go to Sprint, they will finally have enough money to build and upgrade their network?

I'm not certain but I think the biggest issue is that they always manage to get screwed out of any decent spectrum. Like their LTE is on ~2300mhz which can't penetrate walls for poo poo.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Can dumb phones upgrading to smart phones on a plan that has a smart phone with unlimited do so without taking away the unlimited on the phone already with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
-

• Locked thread