Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

With cellphones the biggest issue appears to be in the passing of calling line ID information through the network. Cell phone companies must support interconnecting trunks to a significant number of Wireline and PSTN access carriers. In order to save money it appears that many cell phone carriers do not purchase the North American feature Group D or PRI trunks required to pass calling line ID information across the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bambi posted:

The Droid X2 has been confirmed for May 26, with online pre-orders starting tomorrow. Though at this point I can't fathom anyone locking themselves into a 3G phone for the next two years, and no frontcam is kind of a head-scratcher.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20063896-251.html

Well, I wouldn't want to since LTE is around here, but at the same time I don't see any compelling LTE options from Verizon right now.

The Thunderbolt is mostly nice, but you can tell it was a last generation design held up by the inclusion of LTE. No higher resolution screen and the same processor we've been seeing for awhile.

The Charge is a Fascinate with an upgraded screen, LTE, and under the Droid brand name so it at least loses Bing. Other than that, it's a non-starter. It's also Samsung and not the "we're trying to change" Samsung either.

The LG Revolution isn't even a with Google device.

Basically, all the LTE devices out for Verizon right now seem like they are a cycle behind (probably because they were held up to include LTE.) So, if I HAD to buy, I honestly don't know what I would do. I think I would probably be tempted by the Droid X2 because it actually IS the most advanced phone Verizon has in their slate, minus the network radio. I honestly don't give a poo poo about the front facing camera, I have no need for video chat.

In the meantime, I'm going to be rocking my OG Droid with Gingerbread on it until Verizon gets their phones sorted out. Hopefully the Bionic comes out before the fall and is the beast it's supposed to be. I'm up for upgrade July 14th and would really like to get something other than what Verizon currently offers.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 18, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Phummus posted:

I'm running Pete's GPA15 Gingerbread build, but things just seem to drag so drat slow. I also downloaded one of his kernels to OC the drat thing.

Any tips for boosing performance on the original droid?

I'm not doing anything special. I'm just running GPA15 with the LV 1ghz kernel and thinks work well enough for me.

I don't use my phone as much since I got my Xoom though, not at home anyways.

Chu020 posted:

Coming on as a new customer, would it be possible to get a used incredible online, start up a contract, and then save my subsidy for when better (dual core + LTE) options are available?

Personally, I would just confirm that Verizon allows used phones on prepaid and go that route for now. It's the same price, and then when the phone you want comes out, port to a 2 year contract and get the new phone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 18, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LaptopGun posted:

The $45 corporate email plan isn't just for Blackberry. That says if she's doing anything with a BES or Exchange, VZW will require it.

That's really not true. I've been using activesync on my Droid for 2 years on the $29.99 plan.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No.

And all the news articles I've seen about tiered data today all point to this one:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/20/us-summit-verizon-idUSTRE74I4NH20110520

Right, once again the news sites are off talking about tiered data plans without any specific language from Verizon. It may in fact happen, they have hinted at it. However we've been "a few months away" from tiered data for almost 2 years now. At this point, we don't know anything until it happens. It may happen this summer, it may happen later, it may not happen, it may happen in a way we can't envision right now.

Who knows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Wherever Samsung is going with Galaxy S II they have not gone there with the Droid Charge.

Exactly. Everyone should just realize that none of Verizon's LTE devices are 'new' devices and don't reflect whatever new practices their respective companies have adopted in the meantime. They are devices from Q3-Q4 2010 with LTE radios in them.

BexGu posted:

Okay, I agree with most of this review, what is the estimated wait time until the next group of LTE phones comes out? Targa around the middle of the summer? Later? No one can guess?

We really can't say. Most optimistic guesses put the Bionic/Targa early to mid July, but it could end up being significantly later if Motorola can't iron out their LTE troubles with Verizon.

On that though, it's refreshing that Motorola took the stance they did with the Bionic. It was already a newer design phone than any other LTE phone Verizon was pushing out when they showed it off at CES. On top of that though, because they recognized that it was going to be delayed for LTE, they took the opportunity to keep it updated while they worked out the kinks. Honestly, when the thing comes out, it should be a beast.

I would watch X2 reviews closely. They are likely what the Bionic reviews would have been if it would have come out since specwise, the X2 is nearly the same.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 20, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Last I heard, Asurion didn't have any OG Droids to give out?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it was reported nearly a year ago that they didn't have any more Droid 1s to give out.

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/26/asurion-to-offer-droid-x/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BIG news. It shows you the commitment Verizon has to LTE and how fast things are going to move.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/20/verizon-looks-to-end-3g-service-go-all-4g-lte-by-2013/

quote:

A few important things were said by Verizon’s CTO of Communications, the most important to us is that he is nudging at the end of 3G service altogether by the year 2013. Stating that all devices should have LTE capability by the end of 2012, and that in 2013 some devices might not even come with 3G radios depending on how the consumer market responds to the LTE deployment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I suppose they could get rid of EVDO (3G) data and just keep 1x service around, but I don't think that's what Droid Life is implying with "3G" in the article.

That's exactly the way I read it. 1x will be around for awhile, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see 3G basically go away (in respect to handsets) from 2012-2013.

Anyways, it's in Verizon's best interest to get LTE handsets out to even the cheap rear end free phones over the next 2 years. As soon as their LTE coverage is good enough to make handoffs to 1x a non-issue, they are going to want to switch to VoLTE. The best way to do that is to already have the hardware in people's hands.

As far as price, Verizon has made statements in the past that they were interested in the concept of throttling LTE as a tiering mechanism. They could very easily switch a 3G dumbphone over to an LTE dumbphone and limit the bandwidth of the dumbphone to 3G speeds and keep the price the same.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 20, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It would surprise me, as much as Verizon likes to (not unreasonably) flaunt its coverage map.

By the end of 2013, the plan is to have all their 3G service area covered with LTE and even start to replace 1x areas with LTE. So, the coverage for high speed service would actually improve.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

stormrider posted:

So overdue, it better happen this time.

I know people say that, but this is the first phone outside of the Nexus One (and of course Nexus S) that has gotten gingerbread in the US.

So, yay moto?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dominator posted:

:ssh: It might be, it does have a SIM slot

That's because it's a global phone like the Droid 2 global, the Droid Pro, and Droid Incredible 2.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I went poking around in a Verizon store today to play with new phones.

Quite frankly, I ended up disapointed as hell.

The two HTC phones are the best ones out there, so I'll save those for last.

The Charge, while having an amazing screen, feels like a cheap toy. This feeling is further reinforced by Touchwiz, which feels like iOS for preschoolers. It's just way too bight and busy. It did at least feel pretty snappy, which is more than I can say for the next phone.

The Droid X2 is the most powerful phone Verizon carries, but you would never know it by feel. My friend has the DroidX and I have used it many times. If you didn't notice the lack of camera button, you probably couldn't tell the difference between them in a blind test. The lock screen stuttered and the home screens just didn't swipe smoothly. Finally, the screen seemed washed out to me, but I admit it could have been the steel gray color scheme. I'm not to fond of the physical buttons either.

The Thunderbolt and Incredible 2 seem very similar outside of the LTE radio. Both had nice looking screens and both were very responsive. But when it comes right down to it, they are Q4 2010 phones. I just wouldn't feel confident signing a 2 year contract with either. Also, to sum up the Thunderbolt, it was sitting there on the display in 1x mode while the Charge a few inches away had a great LTE signal. That's not doing it any favors.

So, there it is. There isn't a single phone out there right now that I really want. Now, I'm not due for an upgrade yet. But when July 12th tools around and I can upgrade, the landscape doesn't look like its going to change much. I'm half tempted to buy an Incredible 2 at full retail and wait for the holiday season to use my upgrade.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kyrosiris posted:

Now all HTC needs to do is put out a LTE-enabled sensation

This more accurately reflects what I want right now. If I could get something like that by mid summer, I would be so happy.

It's not going to happen though. I haven't heard of any new HTC phones coming on Verizon right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On the subject of the Bionic, the general consensus right now is Tegra 2 is out and dual core OMAP (as found in the Droid 3) is in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The D3 was always supposed to be a dual core OMAP (I think possibly running at higher than 1ghz.)

From what's been talked about on Howardforums, the D3 is running CIRCLES around the Droid X2. So, the bionic should be better for the delay.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, I think Tegra 2 is going to be sort of a shunned generation of SoCs. Nvidia was pretty much a year behind schedule releasing it and it seems like companies are having problems doing everything they want with it. It's phone exposure is going to be very brief I think.

By the end of the year, everything is going to be dual core Snapdragon and OMAP with possibly a few quad core Kal El devices out (likely mostly in tablets.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, at the end of the day, Verizon has to come out with a phone worth buying before we have to worry about whether or not the bootloader is locked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AppleCobbler posted:

In the event of unlimited data going the way of the do-do it would be cool to be able to buy 4 years worth of the plan, worry about phones later.

That is unlikely to help you.

Verizon typically requires certain feature codes per device. If/when they introduce tiered data plans, they will likely require all new phones released after that date to use one of the tiered data feature codes and have the unlimited ones locked out. That means, if you want to buy one of those phones retail, you will have to change the features on your account so that they meet the requirements of the device (in that case it would be tiered data.)

They will not be breaking the terms of your contract by doing so either which would get you out of an ETF. Your contract does not ensure that you will be able to buy the latest and greatest LTE phone full retail and activate it on your plan. Since you would still be able to use the plan on the device you were originally using with it, they are fulfilling their end of the contract.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hamburglar posted:

Are you sure about that? I had an unlimited data plan with MobileBroadband and like 2 years ago when they switched to tiered, Verizon told me if I so much as sneeze on my account I'll lose the unlimited, but leave everything alone and I'm grandfathered in.

Doesn't changing equipment qualify as sneezing?

One recent case I think think of is when they started requiring dataplans for smartphones. There was a distinct device cutoff. You could no longer pay per mb of data on newer phones, you were required to add the unlimited data plan feature on your account.

If you wanted to use an older device, you could retain the pay per mb feature, but if you wanted something newer you had to change to the unlimited data plan.

They did the same thing with featurephones for awhile. You simply could not use one of the newer featurephones unless you added one of the dataplan features to your account.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SIM card doesn't mean the phone model is unknown to them. They can still lock features down per device if they want to. I agree that whether they will or not is conjecture, I just wouldn't count on getting a contract now with a Thunderbolt and being able to keep that unlimited LTE data later with one of their new phones, regardless of whether you re-sign.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's hard to say before it happens. Typically, it seems that plan changes are known at least a few days ahead of their start date so you should be able to sidestep it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That may be so, but it's still not a huge leap over the original incredible unless you really have to have that front facing camera or 4" screen.

That's pretty much my same complaint with the Thunderbolt. It's an Evo with an LTE radio stuffed in it and the Evo came out last year (yes I know there are some minor revisions in the SoC, but it's not a huge jump.)

So far we've had last gen phone + LTE x 3 on Verizon. I want next gen phone + LTE and it looks like we are going to have to wait for the Bionic for that to happen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, here are the latest Bionic rumors and they have pretty much been confirmed on Howardforums.

Dual Core 1.2ghz (TI OMAP 44xx)
1GB RAM (may be somewhat negated by the inclusion of WebTop)
16G Internal Storage
4.3inch screen QHD display with Gorilla Glass
LTE (of course)
HDMI out
New design that's different from CES but may have already been leaked as Targa screenshots

Mid August is the current projected release.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

More bionic info.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/06/more-droid-bionic-pictures-surface-4-5-qhd-screen-new-3d-blur-and-android-2-3-4/#more-35622

And now I'm unsure. 4.5" is just a tad too large for me. If that's the Atrix that it's next to, this phone is going to be massive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's possible that's the Defy next to it and not the Atrix which would make the size seem less extreme

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hamburglar posted:

Nice! Droid 3 has a keyboard, now I just gotta pray for 4g and it being a world phone (probably will since Droid X was global) and be rootable and I'm there.

It will be a world phone, but it will not be 4G. That's pretty much certain at this point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's odd because most people have reported an increase in stability and speed after 2.3 was pushed to the DroidX.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dominator posted:

Targa is the redesigned Bionic, at least thats my understanding of it.

Yeah, they pretty much took the phone that was supposed to be the Targa and merged the Bionic into it. There is word of a new Targa coming down the pipe, but it's likely not going to be released until next year with a quad core chipset.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Milestone3 has been reviewed overseas so this is the most complete info we have about the Droid3 yet.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/13/motorola-milestone3-droid3-gets-reviewed-benchmarks-specs-and-pentile-screen-included/#more-36374

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Thunderbolt supports SVDO (which allows 3G data and 1x voice at the same time) and it has been live in some Verizon areas for awhile. They just don't advertise it since SVDO isn't (and won't be) live everywhere.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, google maps caches your route so unless you have to recalculate or get too far off course you will be fine.

And yeah, I would echo your statement. The last thing I would want to be doing while trying to navigate somewhere unknown is talk on the phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There is a newer extender now so it may work better for non voice stuff. It even has 3G support.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really hope Verizon gets some Nexus phone lovin after the BGR report of the Nexus 4G.

It really sounds like a Bionic, running ICS, with a higher resolution screen, and no Moto bloatware.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You're looking at mid august at the earliest, possibly longer if issues are found.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rye Bread posted:

Hoping that can be attributed to the TI processor in there.

I'm not sure what you are getting at?

At any rate, the Bionic is going to be TI OMAP as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My friend has a Droid X as well and it's been rock solid for him.

Pinning any problems on the SoC rather than the software is a little silly. Tegra 2 is kind of old hat already anyways. It spent too long in the oven and still came out undercooked. If tegra 2 would have come out on time in the first place, it would be considered last gen by now. OMAP 4xxx is just flat out a more advanced SoC.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On the fipside, the apparent argument for the PenTile LCD in the X2 is that it's considerably brighter (better outdoor visibility) and that it consumes less power. I have no idea if these translate to the real world or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm skeptical about the claims of improved power consumption without numbers. Traditionally, most of the power consumption in LCD displays is the backlight. I don't see how using fewer, larger subpixels improves energy consumption unless the pixels themselves are more transmissive (so the backlight doesn't have to be as bright), or by using a PenTile arrangement they can increase the tranmissive area.

Which could be the case, but it wasn't an obvious conclusion to me.

The X2 uses a PenTile RGBW matrix. Since it adds a white subpixel, it can basically display the backlight directly. That's what leads to both the brighter display and less consumption claims. Since pure white is added to boost the luminance of the display, the backlight can be turned down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenTile_matrix_family#PenTile_RGBW

• Locked thread