Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Can anyone tell me how fast the LTE hotspot is on the new android devices? (Galaxy Nexus, DROID Razr, etc..) Also if anyone in the central/north central Florida area could chime in, that would be super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Currently I have an individual plan: 300 any time minutes, 1000 text messages, unlimited data, and pay $75.91/mo. I'm offered a 20% service discount because I work for Darden, which also grants 25% off of accessories. If I dropped the insurance, I would pay $69.90 a month. Which is pretty darn cheap.

I've had the Droid X since release, and immediately slapped the Google voice app on it. I originally had 450 any time and unlimited texts, but ultimately came to the conclusion that I didn't need to pay the extra money. I'm not a big talker so the 300 any time isn't a big deal. So at home, I just make all out going calls from my desktop pc. Anything incoming, I'll just ignore and call them back, haha.

I pretty much only use my Verizon number to text multimedia messages to about 4 of my friends, who are the only ones who even have my Verizon number. Which makes it near impossible for me to exceed my 1000 texts. I'm pretty sure I haven't ever used more than 250 even when I had unlimited. Otherwise, I would just email them whatever it is I was sending them. I'm not even sure though how much data 5000+ texts a month using Google voice generates. Not that it matters to me really.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Penguissimo posted:

If you're interested in streamlining this process, there's a setting on the GV webpage that lets you forward calls to Google Talk. Then you just leave a Gmail tab open and you can receive calls in the browser too.

Thanks for the heads up.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

So as of yesterday I'm eligible for an upgrade. What are the chances that Verizon gets the Galaxy Note/Galaxy Journal? It's the only phone I really want. I've got a Droid X that's been pretty good to me, minus needing 5 warranty replacements due to hardware issues. If there's no chance of Verizon getting the note/journal, I suppose I could settle on the Galaxy Nexus. But I'll be a sad panda/ hot as hornets if I pull the trigger on something else it gets announced.

My primary reason for wanting is the note/journal is the screen size. I'm a pretty big guy in stature. 6'7" and have baseball mits for hands. The 4.3" screen on the X is ok, but after holding the note and fiddling around, every time I look at my X I'm just disappointed. The note just feels so much better in my hands and in my opinion, is a much more masculine phone. It actually feels like im holding something (I prefer the extra weight/heavier phones). I have a lot of streaming and cloud services also, so the gains to the media experience from the increased screen size would be a welcome addition. The phone/tablet compromise is also exactly what I'm looking for. I work a lot and I'm the go just as much. Carrying a second device isn't an option.

Ultimately, if anyone has any insight to my conundrum, I'm all ears.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Auron posted:

Just a quick google search, it looks like it is in fact coming to Verizon as the Journal. Not sure when though

I do a Google search about twice a day, and most of the results are from some time in January. Was wondering if there was some more relevant/recent information.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

How many gigs would an mmo and let's say ventrilo eat up per month? And also, I'm grandfathered into unlimited data, so does that mean I'm still eligible for the $30 per/mo unlimited hotspot?

Considering grabbing a 4G phone and doing the hotspot as a primary internet source. I just moved into a 1br studio apt and really would love to avoid paying cox if at all possible. I would just grab a wifi NIC card for my desktop. I'm curious to know if I could get away with it..

Verizon's 4G here is faster than Cox Cable's 30mbit down line. Which goes for $52.99/mo last time I checked? I have seen Verizon pull down 30+ consistently though speed test.net and up to 49. Assuming it I could actually pull it off, what long effects would it inflict on the actual phone?

Aside from that, I'm all over google music. I pry do 3 gigs a month on my DROID X .Would most likely start using netflix again too.

Does the data used from the hotspot feature show up as a combined total under the data usage widget?

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 6, 2012

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Im eligible for an upgrade right now. I was holding out to see what was going to happen with the DROID fighter but I guess that's busted. Should I just just roll the dice, snag the nexus, and pray that ill slip in?

Im curious also to wonder now this will effect individual plan holders, such as myself. How would I share data with just me? Hot spot maybe?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

So this announcement about June 28th has taken all the wind out of my sails. I was really hoping to make it to the Droid HD/Fighter. That being said i'm really torn between the Razr MAXX and the Galaxy Nexus. Even the iPhone 4s. My upgrade is available right now and i'm aware of most of the arguments on this forum. I guess i'm looking for a little nudge in one direction or another. Im very happy with my plan (300 anytime, 1000 text messages, unlimited data) I'm not really looking to mess with that. $200 is my price point for a phone. Help me help me!

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Just got off the phone with Verizon. Pulled the trigger on the Galaxy Nexus. Plan is in tact along with my unlimited data. Figured if I hate the GNex ill swap it to the Maxx. Did 4.0.4 effect download speeds at all. What type of speed can I expect to see? Also considering snagging the unlimited hotspot while its still on the table. Got a little bit to decide on that one as well..

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

The Catalyst posted:

I wonder if this feature will be DOA too (once the new plans hit). Since it's an add on feature, there's a slight chance that it'll remain live.

The guy I talked to on the phone said after the 28th it's going to get iced.

Im aware that it's included in the new plans for free. But unlimited data + unlimited hotspot will be a unicorn in 17 days.

I dropped insurance on my phone with this new contract. If I snagged the hotspot, id pay ~ $92/mo. Better to have it now and drop it later, than to not have the option at all, shortly. Im aware the hotspot feature will still exist, but not the unlimited.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

**Just to clarify** the $30/mo unlimited hotspot feature is only available to those who have grandfathered unlimited data.

Edit: If you snag the unlimited hotspot before the 28th, you're essentially grandfathered into that also. They can't cancel it or drop it unless you request to have it removed. At least by Verizons' own wording.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 13, 2012

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Is there a My Verizon widget for ICS?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

I'm totally in love with my Galaxy Nexus. It's about as heavy as my Droid X and feels very good in my hand. I wanted a larger display on a phone, such as the note, I'm not unsatisfied in the least. The "cheap, plasticy" feel, in my opinion, is only in regards to the strip on the back that reveals the battery. Which for me isn't enough of an issue to really care. The screen is better than I thought + 4G + HD content; videos seem to come alive in a pleasantly unexpected way.

4G in my town is blazing. Seems to be between 14-20 down. My battery is about 30% after 4+ hours on a full charge, but I feel thats to be expected after 100% fuckery since unboxing. I tend to work 50-70 hours a week so 4G will really only see action when I'm at home or chilling out. Netflix will be reactivated very shortly ^_^.

Aside from the screen, the keyboard is my favorite feature. Its very responsive and auto correct seems to have received some love since gingerbread. If the iPhone keyboard is a 10, I'd give the galaxy nexus a 9-9.5

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Swype makes me want to punch things.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Is there any way to optimize/limit data transfer to-from the galaxy nexus? Maybe a settings prompt I've missed? I'm content with just using airplane mode while at work. We have a strict no phone policy where I work so its not like I'm really going to be missing out on anything. More so curious. Even if it involves rooting, I'd be open to the idea...

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Acrolos posted:

Nope, that's just the Nexus.

I've owned a lot of phones over the years, including a few 4g ones at this point, and it has the worst battery life of anything I've ever owned. I'd recommend the charging station and an extended battery. If I'm out of the house without charging access, I'll usually go through the extended battery, a standard battery, and my phone will still be dead by the evening.

Hmm. Totally just got 31 hours on a full charge. 85% of that or so was w just being on 3g. Only need 4g when I'm home, and there battery life is irrelevant. After doing a full, balls deep burn w 4g on, I got around 6hours? Comming from a Droid X where I could easily get through a day, I would say I'm pretty satisfied. Not sure what some of you do on your phone to only get 4 hours... You can't all have one out of a bad batch???

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Verizon's extended 4G LTE coverage went live today in an extra 22 markets, including mine. More bars in more places... Too soon? But seriously, I feel like the universe is speaking to me with this 4G action. Things are looking up!!

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Apparently verizon is doing away with the my verizon widget for the galaxy nexus? Any rhyme or reason? Seems pretty stupid. Gotta use #DATA now I guess. Is that a way for verizon to rope people into overages for not being able to visually see real time updates on their usage? Pretty low class. I've got unlimited so (I'm) not really effected by this, but pretty low class..

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

So i just left verizon. Switched my Gnex for the Razr Maxx. While i found battery life to not be as bad as the internet seems to make it, i often have 16 hour work days, in which case it is a problem. And the speaker was horrible. While ill miss the display, i feel this was a mandatory switch. ICS should be any day now? Ill be happier in the long run i think.

Edit: after 2 weeks with ics, 2.3 hurts

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 26, 2012

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

The random signal drops on the nexus sure isn't exciting.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

My only complaint so far about the RAZR MAXX is the time it takes to charge xD. This thing is an effing monster!

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Honestly, the RAZR MAXX seems much more masculine of a phone. Personally, the biggest lure to the nexus is the full on screen software buttons. At times a little less responsive, but I feel the lack of real hardware/software buttons made the Android experience much better. I hope moto will release an all screen version similar to the galaxy nexus. Droid nexus perhaps?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

I pay $68.87/mo and have unlimited data. I use Google Voice exclusively for texting and making calls (send/receive) About 5 people have my actual Verizon number for mms (1k txts through verizon, and ive never used more than ~150) Granted I'm on an individual plan and get a 20% discount.

What I don't understand is, how so many people get roped into these death plans? Granted, not everyone has a cooperate discount, but I feel like many people on here seem to; some people are on family plans and have wives and kids etc, which can't really be helped. But it blows my mind that people still have no idea how to maximize the system to their benefit. Google voice for example, or other texting apps. Plan reductions/maximizations. So often I hear someone complain about money and how expensive their poo poo is. But they refuse to do something so simple as change a number. I get that x or y has had that number for 10 or so years... but if something so simple could save you 40 bucks a month? That's almost $2.5k in 5 years. I guess if money burning is your thing... but frankly I'm OK with keeping that loot firmly in my wallet.

And unfortunately, the window for that seems to have permanently shut about 2hours and 16minites ago EST. And frankly I have a hard time convincing people to hop on plans like straight talk or virgin mobile. Everyone wants to be on the big 4 and waste tons of money. Maybe I just slipped through the cracks, or perhaps I'm a knowledgeable consumer? Most people wouldn't drive off a car lot without a test drive and price comparisons or making multiple dealerships bid for their buck. I don't understand why something like this is any different.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It's not that bad a deal for most people, in fact many will be paying about the same or less per line than you do now without the "rigging" involved with Google Voice's crappy (in my experience) call quality and using multiple phone numbers.

I mean, the handful of people with my vzw number have it saved under my contact info, so it's not really juggling multiple numbers...as for call quality, I'm confused? I don't use it from a desktop. I use the app from my phone. It just routes the number. Its exactly te same as placing a call normally.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

So I'm sitting at work, occasionally checking for my ics update for my razr maxx, which I'm now convinced is all a fabrication. And what do I see? A sorority girl comes waltzing in, eating an ice cream sandwich. -.- the universe is laughing and pointing at me. I sad.

/rant off

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Looks like I'm going to be up all night spamming °_°

__

bull3964: thanks for posting those ss's in the Android forum. I assumed that because of the razr hard keys, there wouldn't be any soft screen keys to take up any more screen real estate. The keyboard looks really clean. I'm more excited now that I traded up the nexus for the Maxx.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 29, 2012

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

E: double post. Sorry.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

So the system updates button under about phone isn't selectable. (Its grayed out) before I charged my phone it wasn't optional. Any one know why it would be completely unavailable now?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

I think maybe because it was prepping for the install... cause its downloading!!!! ^_^

__

Wasn't on wifi. Don't matter now. Its a downloadin!

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Ice cream sand which is do delicious!

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

He let you borrow his phone? I'm impressed.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Assuming one has a rooted phone, and decided to use the rooted-hotspot feature, how much data could you get away with per/mo before you get bitch slapped by Verizon?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Aatrek posted:

I stream music every day tethered for six+ hours - tethered - and haven't had a problem. I think that for Verizon, generally, data is data.

I'm considering a tablet, but only if I could beat the pesky hotspot limit. I have unlimited.

E: How long have you been pulling this feat?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Assuming someone signs a new contract today, free tethering is included in the package? Do they specify how much hotspot action is allowed? Or is it tied directly to your cap?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

What are the chances verizon gets a 4G Nexus tablet?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

kalibar posted:

I'll stick with Verizon for as long as they'll let me pay my $48/month for an unlimited LTE Galaxy Nexus. But as soon as they force me off, it's prepaid time -- and it should be for you guys, too.

How on earth are you paying $48/mo? I thought I was dong exceptionally well with my $68/mo. I'm thoroughly jealous >=o

SeaborneClink posted:

I really just want to point out that as much as everyone in this thread, the Sprint thread and the AT&T thread :goonsay: about not using text messages and using only voice and data in calculations, because G+/Google Voice/whatever is a 'viable' replacement. Please try and keep in mind that for the other 108.69999 million customers, it isn't.

I can count the number of times, in my two and a half years of wireless, on two hands, that I've activated lines without text messaging. So please just try to keep this in mind.

This is proof that the average consumer (108.69999 million) are in excess, stupid as gently caress. Why on earth anyone would blast their name on a piece of paper before properly researching the product they are purchasing, completely escapes my imagination. Especially when there are designed ways to keep money in your pocket. Even more so when subsidies, interest, long term commitments, etc are taken into account. People are sheep, and I feel absolutely no remorse for these people who consistently stab themselves in the wallet. Man the gently caress up and pick some oranges. Obviously these company's are not your friend in this regard. Take the initiative and force the money back in your pockets.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 5, 2012

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Split portion of a family plan.

My meek individual plan suffers that flaw. There is no splitting =[

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

kalibar posted:

I don't think you know how Google Voice works. It lets you send text messages to other people using the data network. The only reason not to use it is not knowing that it exists. Paying for an Android smartphone and a Verizon account means you have (well, had) all the ingredients for not paying for a text package.

This.

And the crunch that everyone seems to be in these days; the lack of consumer knowledge is completely unacceptable.

The only reason I retained my 1000/mo text package, is because it was the lowest I could go (along w. 300 anytime minutes) and still retain my cooperate discount.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sure, folks who want to get the hot new device every year and who have more money than sense (or desire to find a slightly cheaper flipped one on eBay).

I still might buy the droid fighter out of pocket, then flip my Maxx on one of my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

So I just called verizon and inquired about the $30/mo unlimited mobile hotspot. Apparently it is still offered to unlimited data users. I was originally told it was being done away with on the 28th along with everything else. To my surprise I learned that it was still available. So I snagged it. Guy on the phone said he didn't now much longer it was going to be offered. So if you've been on the fence about getting a hotspot option, and you have unlimited data, take advantage.

• Locked thread