Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

To prep for the Droid x ota, if I've been using the leaked gingerbread will restoring my backup from before I flashed that and then unrooting be enough to work, or would I be better off just doing an sbf back to stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

Jesus H Christ. How can streaming games even be 7 gigs? I don't even use that much on a COMPUTER let alone a cellphone. I'd imagine that you are tethering torrents or something.

You don't realize how many baseball games there are in a month, do you. :geno:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Edit: Has anyone here tried out Pre-owned phones through Verizon? Any info on the certified pre-owned set up would be greatly appreciated.

I have a pre owned droid x. As far as I could tell it was a brand new phone, and it came with a bigger memory card. Great deal as far as I can tell.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

akurlej posted:

So I would like to upgrade to a new phone before the 28th as I would like to keep my unlimited data plan. However, I'm torn between getting a solid 3G phone, upgrading to 4G phone right now (most likely the HTC Rezound), or switching to the capped data plan and eventually buying the new Incredible.

My biggest question, is 4G really worth it? The area I live in doesn't have 4G coverage yet, and the most data intensive apps I use are probably Spotify or Facebook. So, what option would you guys recommend most?

I don't think any of the 3g phones are really any more solid than the 4g phones (apart from the iphone 4s). If you ever travel, 4g would be nice, and they're pushing out 4g all over the place, so I don't see any reason not to get a good 4g phone instead.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Athenry posted:

Yet nothing for the Droid 3. :smith:

Pretty sure they said the Droid 3 isn't getting ICS (only 512mb of ram).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

JayKay posted:

Is it possible to convert an out of contract line from a family plan that has grandfathered data into a pure Hotspot only line without losing unlimited? Obviously I'll have to purchase a hotspot without upgrading/renewing.

Can't you just swap the 4g sim into the hotspot?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

If she buys a phone outright, she can do so with no plan changes (though 3G to 4G might be an issue).

3g to 4g shouldn't be an issue at all, my dad just swapped out a droid X for a bionic on an limited plan without issue. Just gotta go into the store and ask for a sim card, or call CS to have them mail you one.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

My gnex gets through a day without issue. The only time I've ever had to either recharge the battery or swap to a fresh battery was when I was using wireless tethering nonstop.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

dane cook torrent posted:

So could you provide more context than a two line anecdote? What firmware are you running? What do you primarily do? Do you use google voice? etc
This is my battery use today. Bugless Beast JB, extended battery, wifi and 4g both turned on.

Some time spent with awful betamax, checked my emails as they came in. What do you expect?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

If you really want to know how much my screen was on, here you go.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

kensei posted:

Cool thanks

I've not had any crashes or issues at all, but I will check that ROM out when I am back. Thanks for the other recommendation as well.

One other thing to check is to make sure you don't have any tethering apps installed, like the android wifi tether. I know with the rom right arm linked the stock tethering app breaks if you have other tethering apps installed. Might be fixed now, but it was definitely something I had happen while running jelly bean.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Are there any extra charges for upgrading a dumbphone line to a smartphone line before the contract is up?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Nothing special other than the fact that a smartphone requires a minimum $30 data plan on existing Nationwide plans or if you're on a Share Everything the line charge goes from $30 to $40. Also all 2-year contract priced phones have the $30 upgrade fee as part of the subsidizing contact process.

Everyone else in the family had unlimited data still, so she'd just hip on the two gig plan for her line. She'd be able to get the normal two year contract price for a phone too then?

Basically, if she wants to upgrade there's no reason to wait?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Yup, that's it.

I actually made a mistake and ordered the non-MAXX one earlier. Well, it wasn't so much as a mistake as an assumption. They didn't have the MAXX version online at first (only went on sale this week) and I thought that they were similar enough in size that it wouldn't matter. I use the one with my galaxy nexus with both the extended and normal battery so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal.

Well, it was, the regular HD case just won't fit right on it. But the MAXX one fits perfectly.

At $10, it isn't worth the postage to return the non-MAXX one to amazon unfortunately.

Amazon normally covers postage, and on something that cheap they may refund without having you return it too (I've had that happen before on something cheap.)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

wandler20 posted:

I bought my wife an iphone 6s plus today. She's coming from a 5s. I don't think that has a sim card in it (is this wrong?), so do I just go to Verizon to get a sim card?

They should both use nanosims. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202645

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

If I pickup a jetpack hotspot of some sort, will it work with my current sim card that's tied to an old age unlimited plan? Or does it still specifically need some sort of hotspot flag on the account to work?

• Locked thread