Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

waffle iron posted:

The only area of Vermont that would really be possible for LTE is Burlington and the surrounding towns. Then you have to consider that the land use laws in Vermont are prohibitive to get if you want to put them on desirable places like the tops of mountains: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_250_(Vermont_law)

Edit: And lord knows if there is the backhaul. Although there are one or two local companies that are offering Gigabit Ethernet broadband in the state.

For Vermont for analog and 3g, the cell companies pay farmers and churches "rent" to mount cell antennas to the sides of silos, or to use the steeple. They can probably do the same with 4g, but I imagine the cost of more spots due to lower altitude combined with lower population makes it fairly undesirable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

psychosockmonkee posted:

Doesn't look like it. I went all the way through the checkout process and I was still getting a price of $250.

The website gave me the $199 price, but did not apply the extra $30 credit. The physical store applied the credit, but not the sale and didn't bother looking into it at all. Hope VZW enjoys paying FedEx for shipping, since it'll arrive on Friday.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Cheekio posted:

I live in nowhere Vermont, and visiting family brought up a tablet with a verizon data plan.

Now my phone is only 3g capable, but the tablet (capable of 4g) was receiving 4g signal despite my location not being on any 4g maps.

So... what the hell? I went to speedtest.net and confirmed that it was a significantly higher data rate (12 mb/sec down, 5 mb/sec up, ping around 65 ms). Is this likely an area they are testing and opening soon, with that one day being a fluke, or if I got 4g over the weekend should I be able to count on 4g til the map updates?

I just bought a Nexus and had 4G this week. Verizon rep said target turn on of 4G is June or so for Vermont. It'll come and go until the official announcement.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

waffle iron posted:

As a heads up, the Burlington, VT area has LTE turned on for the last 3 weeks. Not Sure how far down I-89 it extends but I've got signal from exit 17 to exit 12.

It comes and goes. Parts of Williston and Montpelier have it periodically too. It's pretty nice, about as fast as Comcast's cable service.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you sign up now or have an existing account, you're on the current unlimited or tiered data, depending on when you did.

If you sign up or renew after June 28, you'll be on the new prices. If my calculations are correct, for 1GB of data on a smartphone, you'll be paying a minimum of $90/month ON TOP OF your minutes/text plan.

The $50 portion is unlimited voice and text with 1 gb of data. But instead of cell and unlimited data costing me $80, cell and 2gb will be $100. That's so dumb. Way to charge full price for voice and text I don't really want.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

kitten smoothie posted:

A ham sandwich would be an improvement in terms of functionality and battery life relative to the Thunderbolt.

My girlfriend is still using her Thunderbolt, and she likes it reasonably well. I replaced the old, stock battery with a Rezound battery from Amazon for $14 and that fixed her only real complaint with it.

She likes it a lot better than her work issued iPhone 4.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Am I the only one not really bothered by the Galaxy Nexus battery life? I grabbed a charger and two 2200mah batteries from Amazon for $20, and sometimes need to swap. I think the only time I needed all three was during an evening beer festival after using it for Maps earlier in the day (Untappd is about as inefficient as Facebook, holy poo poo).

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

pik_d posted:

I'm in essentially the same situation you are and have looked around online a bit. What I've found is that another option is to add a new line with the new phone, then switch the numbers around so your current number is with the new phone. I'm not 100% sure if this works on expired contracts or not, but I'm waiting for the HTC DNA announcement before deciding on what I'm going to do about a new phone anyway.

Does anyone know if doing this will work how I want it to?

Yes, but you need to do it at a corporate store. The guy at the authorized reseller I was chatting with said they get charged the full amount, but the corporate store can more or less do whatever they want. We did this for a SGS3 when my girlfriend broke her Thunderbolt.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Cbear posted:

If I'm adding a line to get a new phone, then switching it to my line via equipment switch...can I do this on the same trip to verizon? Or do I have to go seperate timesk?

We did it same trip, at a corporate store.

A local reseller explained that they get completely bent over if they do this, but the corporate store can do it without repercussions.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

FordPRefectLL posted:

Everything since the S4 has been reliably global.

S3, I think. My S4 and my wife's S3 worked fine in Germany with local sim cards. I had CM, so the APN worked automagically, but I think I had to add the APN manually for her.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

JayKay posted:

Re: The grandfather unlimited data price increase

Has anyone actually received notification from VZW about this? I figured if prices were going to change, I would have gotten either a letter or email about it.

The billing website had one popup about it, and it hasn't displayed a second time.

Of course, verizon being verizon, I changed my family plan to the new 12gb thing, and then added my wife's line onto that family plan, and we both got very strange emails about the pricing - she shouldn't get a bill if it's on my line, etc. Going to wait a day for the website to update, then likely call in to sort it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
When my wife and I went to Oktoberfest in 2014 (oh god it's been almost two years, we need to go back) we got prepaid sims shortly after landing. Worked great in Germany, not so great in Austria, since apparently their prepaid sims don't roam across countries. Worked fine in an S3 and an S4, and all newer phones are still unlocked.

AFK, planning on how to go back to Oktoberfest in Munich.

• Locked thread