Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey, my Droid Incredible is about a year old but even after trying out multiple chargers, none of them work. It seems to be a connection issue with the Micro USB port itself. I pretty much have to bend the USB cable behind the phone at a certain angle to charge it. I can't babysit the phone to make sure it is charging. Does anyone know my options in getting a repair/replacement, and about the cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Haha thanks verizon for sending me a replacement incredible that is stuck in a boot loop as soon as i activated it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think I know the answer but I just want to make sure:

I am able to upgrade my phone but pretty much everything is 4g these days. I assume that when I upgrade, I will lose my unlimited data plan? I currently use 4+ gb a month (mostly from google music streaming... i think) and I'm afraid of paying out the butt.

Actually, that and with how expensive phones are (ones that I like, anyway- I think the highest I could go is the droid razr for 149.99, and that's a stretch) are the only reasons why I don't want to upgrade. Looks like I'll be sticking with the Incredible until it dies.

Another question: Why is it that amazonwireless says its only going to cost 99.99 to upgrade to a galaxy nexus on a single plan, but if I'm a family plan its going to cost 229.99? I'm not getting two phones!

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 19, 2012

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I got the "4G LTE Charge" e-mail. I was interested for a minute (since i'm eligible for a new phone), but even though it was free, I'm still not interested in getting a Samsung phone, let alone one that came out almost a whole year ago. I'm still using my Incredible.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 27, 2012

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

how does it work like poo poo?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

kensei posted:

Anyone have an old LG Voyager laying around? I'd like to make sure it has a clean ESN but will pay cash!

(If this is not ok in this thread please let me know)

I have a titanium voyager.

Why would you want one?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Pricing for the Incredible 4G has come out.

Apparently Verizon thinks new phone = $299 price point even if it has some specs that are inferior to phones that have already come and gone at that pricepoint.

That's loving bullshit, IMO.

The Razr Maxx isn't even 300. Are they thinking its better? The incredible 4g only has a vga front camera compared to the Maxx's HD front camera.

I am not going to spend that much. Anyway, as I posted in the other thread, and since people upgrading from their verizon phone might care,

I still haven't upgraded my Incredible, but the Droid Razr just dropped 50$ so now the phone is only 99$. I don't know if that's permanent, or just a thing for the time being. But, I am seriously considering getting it.

edit: the info about the incredible price might not be final because who knows if its even 'official' considering the link to the phone doesn't work on the teaser.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 23, 2012

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

double post sorry

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Too late.

The Razr Maxx was out of my price range.

But, after what just happened while ordering the Razr, maybe I could have.

Some really weird crap on the Verizon site.

I log in, it says "oh hey guess what you can get the razr for 99$"
Sweet. That's in my budget. I decide I can buy it.
So I login to the site again, click "upgrade my device" and it says the phone is only 49.99.
What?
Ok, so I add it to my cart, and it says its $99 again. Ok. I go through the checkout, and then the price displays 49.99 + the $30 phone upgrade fee- $80. Ok, I guess things are going pretty good. Then out of nowhere, I am about to hit 'buy the motherfucking phone already i don't want your accessories' I keep seeing 80$... somewhere. But then it starts applying these discounts of of nowhere and by the time I'm about to click the final "are YOU SURE you want this?" button, the price charged says $36. Just the upgrade fee and the tax on the upgrade fee.

I don't get it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Earlier today I would click on it, and the supposed price was $99 even with the $50 NE2 credit.
When I went through the shopping cart, this big red thing came up stating that my business/work discount would not apply.

Regardless, I feel like I got away with something, and kinda bummed because I feel like I could have gotten something more expensive. But, hey, its an upgrade on the incredible and I had heard about the 'maxx' conversion if I hated the battery life.

edit: that's odd. It showed my NE2 discount as 50, but in the final checkout it shows the discount as 99.00. I guess it was the NE2 discount then. Still confused though.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have the regular razr and have been hoping to find some oem backs/batteries for the maxx.

Battery life is kind of egh but I'm usually at 60% by the time I get home from work.

The ICS update is cool and I certainly hope that cm9 or aokp start supporting it or come out with official roms.

I also noticed that after the ICS update, the bass output has been changed going through the audio jack.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Roundboy posted:

there seems to be one place (that was linked earlier in the thread) selling the battery and new backings, but they have next to zero stock, and are always on backorder / preorder.

They also seem pretty shady forcing you to buy everything as a package, including a $15 glue pad to stick the battery to the case.

I really want to switch my battery over, but it seems there is zero alternative.

And i also want my ICS update at least a few hours before google announces Jelly Bear (that we probably wont get unless you buy the Razr Maxx HD later this year)

TBH i downloaded the update myself instead of waiting for the OTA.

It was hell, only because I used titanium backup and restored apps+data, which somehow caused some conflicts that completely disabled the lock screen and 3 of the four buttons.

Other than that, following the instructions was easy as pie, just took some time to do, and some time to reconfigure to my liking. Even was able to flash a uot battery mod.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have a droid razr and it is starting to suck.

Battery could be better but the main thing that is really pissing me off is that messaging list takes a few seconds to update from the number to the name. There should be no lag in that at all. It should be loving immediate.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Messages are limited to 200 per contact, but only have one contact with that many messages I could try lowering it to 100 or something. Probably have a total of 300 messages right now.

Yea maybe I need to clear some of this poo poo out.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

drat reading all this stuff on these new phones and Razrs coming out every month/jellybean soak tests makes me kind of upset I got a regular Razr. Granted, it was only like $40, but still.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Anyone hear anything about JB getting to the OG Droid Razr? I remember signing up for the "we give you JB or you get rebate" but I haven't heard anything since the newer razrs getting soak tests.

I'm kinda interested in that rebate now because my sim card/sim card slot is being an rear end in a top hat and I'm losing connectivity.

Plus the battery kind of sucks.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Personally I'd wait and take a look at the new Droid ULTRA's that are being released on August 20th.

If you care about battery life, you won't find anything anywhere that'll beat the Ultra Maxx.

I am having such a horrible experience with my Droid Razr that I don't think I will ever get another Motorola product again.

What makes it even worse is that it has a crack in the glass (doesn't affect screen), and that this is the last unlimited data phone I'll have.

I was somehow getting over 4gb a month mostly just streaming google music on the 20 minute trip to and from work (and errands on weekends). I can't imagine how much it would be if I went back to public transit.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Midniter posted:

I have an iPhone 4 that is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'd like to upgrade to a 5 or even the upcoming rumored 5S when it becomes available, but I do not want to lose the unlimited data plan I am currently grandfathered into. Short of buying an unlocked phone for full retail value, is there anything I can do to keep my unlimited plan and still get the new (subsidized) phone? I don't even use that much data, it's mostly wifi at home - it's the peace of mind that I'm worried about. When I have to start worrying about limits is when my user experience begins to degrade.

I've been with Verizon for over a decade and I get an employee discount as well, so I am loathe to consider other carriers.

bam thwok's post a few above yours is the most concise explanation I've seen yet and I wish I could bookmark posts.

If in the case you will lose unlimited and have no choice but to go tiered, I'd recommend checking the your account if you haven't already to see your usage. It only goes back 6 months, but hopefully in that time period you can recall why you needed more data than another month.

I'm glad I checked. Even though I'm still unlimited for a little while, I found out that the 20 minute commute + random driving around time listening to google music took a huge chunk of data. Sure, I downloaded a few things/facebooked/etc. But I'd go over 6gb easy in a month.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

My Droid Razr (xt912, not even Maxx) fell and screen shattered. I had to fall back to an old Droid Incredible. I think I can rough it till April, but are there any cheap JB phones for Verizon that I could look up on eBay or whatever?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JP Money posted:

It just does so much poo poo better than my old Razr without feeling much different.

So it isn't laggy at everything like the OG Razr? It was such a piece of poo poo that it really soured me on Motorola phones. If that's the case I might reconsider when my contract allows me to upgrade.

The lag was so bad that it would take two or more seconds for the Swype keyboard to come up, the screen rotation took forever to sense and adjust, among other things.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mighty Horse posted:

It's in the terms and conditions that they aren't obligated to sell you anything if they make a mistake or simply don't want to, the will refund the money and call it done.

If they charged you the full 650, even though you agreed to only pay $299 you might have an argument.

The LG2 is $50 this weekend only at Verizon with a 2 Year. Its a really, really good phone that gets overlooked. At $50 its stupid to get anything else.

It's a shame my contract isn't up until May :[

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Roundboy posted:

Rumor was VoLTE only phones will be cheaper due to lack of radios, and as such verizon ends subsidies on phones.

I don't understand this. The radios make the phone cost 600$ ?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

EbolaIvory posted:

I've been leaving my phone on off Wi-Fi for 12 hour shifts. It auto update all my apps, Skype and steam running and doing Facebook and awful on lunch. I've used a grand total of .462 GB. I'm on unlimited currently but seriously most normal people don't use a ton of data. Even my barely 18 and 19 year old sisters stay under 2 gigs (also on unlimited).

Yes I know it's totally possible to use more without abusing it. But unless I go hard streaming Google music 8 hours a day it's not common for me to even touch a full gig.

If you use google music, and have at least a 30 minute commute, then you're going to be well over 4gb a month. Close to 6.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is there anyway to keep unlimited if I upgrade through Amazon Wireless?

My upgrade date is at the end of April, but I would like to have an upgraded phone by the time I go on vacation earlier in the month. I can upgrade up to two months early from Amazon, but I don't know if there's a way to keep unlimited.

Am I just going to have to suck it up with a poo poo old droid incredible for the 17 hour drive and week worth of vacation?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

But I'm guessing I can't transfer the upgrade because it won't exist yet, correct?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Nope I'm screwed. drat.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Anyone with Verizon know how they price phones for the Moto X?

I just asked for an early upgrade and the customer service rep said that since I'm using a 3g phone that I can get a $300 off an upgrade of full price of the phone.

Now, I asked her how much the full price was for the moto X and she said $400, which means I'd have to spend $100.

However, I went to VZW.com and was forced into the motomaker site where they say its $329 for a 16gb, and $379 for a 32gb. Which is more accurate? The Service Rep or the MotoMaker site?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bah, this sucks. Customer service a few weeks ago told me that the $300 off full price for a smartphone would not touch unlimited. However, CS is now telling me that it will not only remove my unlimited, but a $30 upgrade fee as well since they are calling it an early upgrade.

CS before that said that it wouldn't count as an early upgrade.

Man, this is looking worse and worse. If my phone wasn't so close to dying, I'd just wait until after vacation. But I don't know if it will last.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 20, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That's awesome but contrary to what the first Customer Service agent told me.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I was about to pull the trigger on their new plan offering, but I don't know why their own site says I'd be paying more, even though my bill is more than what they say I'm paying now:

Their New plan says $40 for my smartphone, $30 for my wife's regular phone, and 3gb data would be $50 a month, which would be 120 (after my company discount it would be $110).

Sounds great, because if my wife updated to a smartphone, that would bring the price to about what I'm paying right now, which is $124 a month (includes taxes).

So here's where I'm really worried: on their plan comparison, it's only saying I pay $81 a month for voice and data, but doesn't take into consideration how much I pay for my 6gb of data now.

What I'm worried about is, are there other hidden charges that they aren't showing when they compare the two? Will my (supposed) $110 bill be something more like $130 or something?

Edit: just figured out they arrived at 81.98 based on $62 dollar plan (80 - 18 for company discount) and two 9.99 lines. But still, why aren't they showing how much I currently pay for data to compare what I'm paying for now vs. in the future?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 6, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Super Dude posted:

I'm not sure about your question, but Motorola just announced a new X today that you might want to wait for.

You will have to get it direct from Motorola, though. Verizon doesn't offer it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The time is wrong on my phone by ten minutes anyone know how to update?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So, I could have sworn that I never had this problem originally, but for the past few weeks my phone can't receive or make calls while its on the wireless charger. I can get texts just fine, wifi works great.

Just no calls.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Nah, spent a while with VZW tech. Tried doing a dozen things. Finally on a whim I disabled then enabled Bluetooth and now I can get calls while its on the charger.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

After a while using it, there really isn't much that bothers me about the Turbo 2. I like it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey, has anyone else dealt with this? I haven't had the problem but apparently it is affecting some people.

Hundreds of Verizon customers are battling data over-limit fees: Money Matters

quote:

If you're getting hit by data over-limit charges, you might take comfort knowing you're not alone, no matter what Verizon tells you. And you may be encouraged by a couple of things: I've gotten a few answers this week. And I'm not done yet.

Like me, many Verizon customers' data use is soaring even when they're on their home Wi-Fi the majority of the time. Even when their phone settings are changed to prevent the phone from switching to data if the Wi-Fi is weak.

Verizon is logging data on people's accounts when they are sleeping and not using their phones.
Or being used when their phones are off.
Or when the phone's owner has died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is there any chance any Verizon rep might give me some leeway/reduced upgrade cost on a newer phone since the old one still had basic functionality until their support asked me to to do a full reset and now I can't even get past the setup? Yes, it is out of warranty and it can't be upgraded until February.

• Locked thread