Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

TSBX posted:

Holding out with my Droid X and it's dead screen spots for the Razr HD. Any inside leaks on a release date ? My phone is literally dying to know.

Came to ask about this same drat thing. I didn't know it was a widespread issue. One was manageable but theyre multiplying.

Is the Razr HD the next "Best" phone for Verizon? Or maybe the S3 or something else? Whatever has better battery life and durability is good for me. Probable CM support is a plus but maybe with ICS+ now its less of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

mrchina posted:

i'm going to bet that they release data plan changes before they release phones like razr hd. I'd keep your ear to the ground and pay attention because locking in unlimited 4g data by utilizing an upgrade on the razr maxx or nexus is worth it.

Meh I don't use that much data, i don't think I've ever gone over a gig. I care more about getting the best possible handset for the two years than I do about being able to torrent blurays on the go or whatever. That's what wifi is for.

Plus this'll likely be my last phone on this contract anyway so it won't matter into the far future anyway.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 4, 2012

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is the S3 likely to get an extended battery kit? I didn't see one on Samsung's website yet but they do have some for other models. If I can get a big battery for it that takes away my big reservation for getting one.

If Moto doesn't want to let me buy their new phone then I guess I won't. :colbert:

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 7, 2012

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yall think i will I be able to preorder the S3 through Amazon before this kicks in? I've got a bunch of Amazon bux saved, that plus no tax would lighten the load on the credit card this month.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

waffle iron posted:

And I find that Facebook is probably one of the biggest consumers of battery life on Android. It churns through a lot of data for photos and takes along time getting updates.

The official app is a big pile of rear end. I usually just use touch.facebook.com since it's basically the same thing. I was recommended Flipster the other day, which is rather nice. Loads quick and is mostly Holo themed. Only thing is the first time I open it it quits before load and somehow kills DoggCatcher with it. But clicking it again loads it normally. It could just be my hacked together Droid X ICS rom though.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It's not that bad a deal for most people, in fact many will be paying about the same or less per line than you do now without the "rigging" involved with Google Voice's crappy (in my experience) call quality and using multiple phone numbers.

Yeah, we're actually going to be able to upgrade all the lines to smartphones and still save a bit of money. I was the only one who could really justify paying the $30 a month for data but now we just pay for one big bucket and they can tap what little they need from it.

It's still a raw deal for a lot of people, especially if you go hog wild on data or at least think you do. If I was on my own I know I'd be looking really hard at Ting and whatnot right now.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Anyone know when Amazon usually stocks new phones? I want to pick up the Verizon S3. Seems like Verizon stores will have them on the 10TH, would that be about when Amazon stocks them too? If it's gonna be a long wait I'll just get one from Vzw, but I'd like to save on tax if I could, assuming I get the same upgrade discounts as Verizon direct.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Good news for us VZW S3 owners, unlocker tool possibly in the works:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/1...oftware-update/

I'll believe it when I see it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Hello,
i have a verizon iPhone 5S that I would like to take with me to the country of Peru. I was looking at prepaid international SIM cards, and want to be assured of this solution. The phone needs to be unlocked, which the internet tells me the 5S came so unlocked, but it is of note this handset was obtained through the Edge program.

The model A1533 CDMA iPhone seems to support the proper EDGE/GSM and LTE bands, if the website GSMArena.com is to be believed.

I would also be accepting of recommendations for the SIM card/service, noting that I only need service for one week, and that I'd prefer to obtain it ahead of time rather than finding something when I get down there.

Thank you

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Duckman2008 posted:

The phone is unlocked.

I have no idea what carriers in Peru are good. But any SIM service should work in that part of the country with your phone.

Verizon would charge you $10 a day, or $70, to use your plan (call/text/data) abroad. Not cheap, but if you are feeling lazy you could do that.

I am lazy, but they don't seem to offer that travelpass deal for Peru, only pay as you go, that would've been perfect though.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

waffle iron posted:

A search on http://www.willmyphonework.net/ says it should work on at least 4 of the carriers.

This is a good resource that I have now bookmarked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

cuedotcom posted:

Stop buying Samsung.

• Locked thread