Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Alright, I'm not quite sure how to get my head around this. I've got a two-year contract that is ending on 9/1/11, and a Blackberry Tour 9630. My plan is the Nationwide Talk 450, which I've been using for years and years, with an unlimited data plan (this isn't my first Blackberry). I'm also NE2 eligible right now.

I want to switch over to an Android phone, and it looks like in September the new phones are coming out. Thing is, my contract is ending on 9/1. I know that will switch me over to a MtM dealie, but will that cause me to lose my unlimited data plan as far as being grandfathered in? I plan on staying with Verizon, so I wanted to purchase a new phone with a 2-year plan for the discount (and use my NE2 if possible), but it seems like I'm a week or two shy of being able to do everything I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Going M2M doesn't change the terms of your account. It only means that you're not bound to stay with them anymore. Upgrading to an Android phone won't change your plan (though some feature codes for BIS/LTE/etc might change depending on the device you get) in a way that will trigger you losing your unlimited.

Thanks. It's the whole grandfathering thing I'm not sure of. If switching off of a Blackberry will cause me to lose it regardless, then I'm not too worried about waiting another month to get a new 2-year contract. It's just the combination of going MTM for like one month, plus switching from 3G Blackberry to a 4G Android phone has me confused as to what will stick and what won't. Sure I'd like to keep unlimited data, but that won't be a dealbreaker if I lose it.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 4, 2011

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I just placed my order for a Bionic and it should be arriving at my office tomorrow. Finally get to ditch this BB Tour 9630 after two years and I'm really looking forward to it!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Now that I've had the chance to play with my new Bionic for a day, it's become really obvious to me that I don't know poo poo about how to use this phone. I'm coming from a Blackberry Tour 9630, so all this swiping and tapping is completely new to me. I already love it, and I'm sure I'll love it even more once I figure everything out, but for now, I don't know poo poo about poo poo when it comes to this phone.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

With SwiftKey you can keep jamming the Markov chain "you already know what I'm going to say" button to generate sentences that have equally useful content to what mass texters normally spam out anyways. Far more convenient.

I've never seen that Markov chain thing before, having only had a non-Blackberry phone for all of two days. But when I wrote out a long message to someone, and accidentally hit back and lost it all, I was able to just keep hitting the predictive words to recreate almost my entire message. That was pretty awesome to me.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I know people use Google Voice numbers to get around texting plans, but what if you use your regular number as your GV number? Does it work the same way?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Fuzz posted:

This network outage is killing me... Literally no 3G and spotty 4G for almost 5 days now. Ugh.

I was wondering why I was getting no service yesterday, and then I noticed somehow I had it on CDMA only. Once I put it back on CDMA/LTE the 4G popped right back on like nothing was wrong :downs:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I hardly ever get close to 6GB/month, but I like holding onto unlimited for 'just in case' situations, like getting snowed in for a week and being able to check local news over 4G without having to worry about going over allotment.

Just got this promotional email from Verizon:

"Hi Christopher, did you know you use less than an average of 2 GB of data each month? Upgrade today and get Verizon Max — 6GB of data for only $30 monthly access"

So, you're noticing that I'm using almost no data, so you're giving me a sweet deal on triple that amount data for $30 more? Where do I sign up? I'm grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan

I'd consider using more if the battery on my old Droid Bionic 2 lasted more than an hour, too.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

This whole "not wanting to lose my unlimited plan" thing is confusing me. I got grandfathered in to the unlimited plan, I currently have an old Bionic, and I've been doing month-to-month on my (now discontinued) Nationwide 450 plan. If I buy the MAXX with a new 2-year contract, they make me pick a new contract and I lose the unlimited. That I get, but I can't seem to just buy the phone straight up on the website without them making me choose a new plan. Do I need to go to a store and buy the phone in-person to make sure they don't futz with my unlimited data, or am I totally SOL on that front?

EDIT: I think I got it. The way I see it, the price difference of buying on-contract v off-contract is $300. If my current "unlimited" bill is $80/mo (before taxes), and the cheapest (2GB mo) new plan is $100/mo (before taxes), that's a $20 difference, spread over the $300, and if I have the phone longer than 15 months (which I plan on because I use phones until they physically die), then it's cheaper to just buy the phone outright and keep my unlimited data plan. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 20, 2014

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Your plan will remain $80 before taxes. They just change your data allowance from unlimited to 2gb. You don't have to choose a new phone plan

So no matter what, I lose unlimited?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Verizon billing called me confused about how I placed my order online, but they were actually really easy and I was off the phone in 15 minutes. I have an old plan that's no longer offered but has unlimited data which I've just been running m2m on, so I just bought the MAXX for full price online. They called to tell me that because it was charged as an 'upgrade', a new contract would be added when I activated it. I told them specifically I wanted to keep my current plan exactly as-is, so they changed my order to "Equipment Only". At least according to the e-mail confirm I have, my plan looks to have stayed completely intact. I guess we'll see if it really worked once I get my phone, activate it, and get my first bill :ohdear:

The things I do to save $20/mo AND keep unlimited data...

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

duffmensch posted:

Make sure to keep that email and you'll be able to see if they changed your plan within a few hours of activating your phone (someone mentioned that if you don't catch it within two weeks, or something, it'll be about impossible to fix).

Yeah, the e-mail confirm delineates everything on my 'contract' which is exactly the same as it's always been and the same price. As soon as I activate the phone I'll be checking the site daily to make sure they didn't screw me.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

therealjon_ posted:

I'm one of those guys that just buys a full priced phone every two-three years to keep my unlimited data. Nothing's changing that will take that right?

Some smug dude at work was claiming my unlimited days are over. Reading over everything I believe I am fine. Am I correct?

I'm in the same boat but I'm not sure how much longer I'll stay on it.

Currently I'm still on a (very outdated) NATIONWIDE TALK 450 plan.
Account Access $39.99
Data $29.99 (unlimited)
Messages $10.00 (I buy the 1000/mo text upgrade)
Estimated Total Monthly Cost $79.98 (always $92.xx after taxes/fees)

Thing is, I text a lot, almost never actually use voice on my phone (but of course I need it since it is my only phone), and constantly getting people to switch over to whatsapp or whatever so I don't blow through my texts is getting to be a pain. Data-wise, I always only use between 1-2 gigs a month, but the Verizon plans all seemed like I'd end up having to pay more for unlimited talk/text and limited data. I'd just buy my phones full price and hold on to them for >2 years, and it always seemed like this was the cheapest option.

Now that they've totally changed their plans around this month, they're looking like the better option. When the new MotoX comes out next month I'm interested in buying it. My Droid MAXX that I bought a few years ago is getting long in the tooth. Switching to the 3GB option (probably safest since I do go over 1gb but rarely over 2) says it'll save me ~$15/mo on my plan. Very tempting, but how does the actual phone purchasing come in to play here?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I'm still one of those people, but honestly it's probably just less of a headache now to just hop on a new plan. Looking at my history I don't use more than 2GB/mo anyway, and unlimited texting would be nice, so these new plans might actually save me :10bux: Now, isn't there a new Motorola coming out this month or next month? My Droid Maxx is on its last legs, so I figure I'll hop on a new plan when I buy a new phone, and if a new one is coming out soon...

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Now that the Nexus 5x and 6P are out and available (when they're not sold out), they say they're carrier unlocked, so if I were to buy one, I could activate it on Verizon, right?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

Yes. As always, its easier if you have a nano-SIM already and do a swap and you avoid VZW buffoonery. But the band support is there.

I know my phone has a SIM card but am not sure if it's micro or nano. I'm still rocking a Droid MAXX. Assuming it's nano it's just drop the SIM into the new phone and away I go (aside from dialing whatever to activate the phone)?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I've been a lifelong Verizon customer, I'm on the expired Nationwide with grandfathered unlimited but that's coming to an end. I really want the new 6p and looking at the new Verizon plans, I'd be using the "M" plan since I use about ~2G/mo when I'm off Wi-Fi. On a whim, I put my name in for Project Fi and was instantly invited. Looking at the prices, I'd be saving $15-$25 more over the "M" plan and get to keep my number if I go over to Fi. Going from my old plan to M would save me roughly $15/mo over my current plan, and Fi would save me $15-25 more over that, but I'm so used to Verizon coverage. Then again I'm in NYC so coverage really hasn't been an issue for anyone.

Is there any pressing reason to stay with Verizon over Fi, considering I live in a major metropolitan area, get to keep my number, and was going to buy a Google phone regardless? I'm scared of change :ohdear:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Infidel Castro posted:

Don't know how good Sprint and T-Mobile's networks are in NYC, though I imagine you'd have plenty of Wi-Fi hotspots to use. Fi doesn't have any contracts and you can even pay off the phone over 24 months (at essentially 0% financing!) when you sign up. If you don't like it, cancel service, pay the remaining amount due on the phone, and go back to Verizon.

That's basically my line of thought, and I just pulled the trigger on a 6p. Can't really argue with 0% financing, and for me, $60/mo+tax (financing the 6p) would still be cheaper than the Verizon "M" plan, and I still would have needed to buy a new phone on top of that anyway. If Fi somehow dies, or I find the coverage in NYC is poo poo (it really shouldn't be), then yeah, I'll just pay off the rest of the phone and go back to Verizon. Google will let me bring over my regular phone number, Verizon should be able to take my number back, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

My sister is looking to buy my mom this iPhone 5S for Christmas, and I just wanted to make sure it can be activated on Verizon. Can it?

https://glyde.com/buy/used-Apple-iPhone-5S-16GB-Gold-Verizon/12076278

Edit: She currently has an iPhone on Verizon, this would be a phone upgrade for her.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 3, 2015

• Locked thread