Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

The unfortunate thing about VZW's lineup right now is that you basically have to choose between next-gen specs and 4G. If you live in a 4G area and it's a priority to you, the Droid Charge is probably the best choice right now (despite it being a Samsung), since the Thunderbolt is riddled with bugs right now and gets like six hours of battery life, although this is supposed to be fixed with an OTA update soonish. The Revolution is decent, but Bing-ified to hell and back. It should be rootable and re-Googleable, though. If you don't live in an area that has (or is about to get) 4G, don't even bother with any of the 4G phones. All of them are basically last year's model with a 4G radio duct-taped to the back.

As far as non-4G phones, the Droid X2 has some powerful hardware, but a locked bootloader, so rooting/ROMing options will be limited. The Incredible 2 is a less beastly but still capable phone, although nobody knows if HTC's new unlocked bootloader policy will be applied retroactively. And if you can wait a few weeks, the Droid 3 is supposed to be hitting shelves near the end of June, and the Bionic a little after that (as this guy ^^^ mentioned). Of course, with all of the Moto phones, you have a locked bootloader to contend with. The Xperia Play is actually a respectable piece of hardware if you don't mind (or even want) the gamepad, and it's complete with stock Android and an unlocked bootloader. Only time will tell how well the dev community supports it, though.

Obviously you want to avoid any of last year's models (Fascinate, Droid 2, Droid Pro, and oh god especially the Continuum). Unfortunately, Verizon's lineup is at a bit of a transitory phase right now, with a lot of awesome stuff slated for "near future" release, so the longer you can hold off, the more choices you'll have.

And of course there's always the iPhone, but make sure you play around with it for a good while before picking it up. I know I've felt pretty constrained by iOS after having used Android for so long, since it's missing so many features (widgets, the ability to change the keyboard/launcher, a non-braindead notification system, quick access to WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS toggles, etc), although some of these are supposed to be fixed in iOS 5.

Sorry to jump in as someone who doesn't know anything about this topic, but when are good 4G phones expected to be released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Are there any decent/affordable unlocked phone options better than my first-gen Galaxy S?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
What do people think of the Droid Turbo 2 leaks? Worth waiting for if I'm out of contract now? Also, how likely is that release to push down the prices of other phones?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Super Dude posted:

Any reason why you're not considering one of the Nexus phones? If your reason is so you can get device payments, then Huawei offers that if you order directly from them.

I might, I'm doing research and people seemed to like the first DT, the previous Nexuses weren't liked as much so they really weren't on my radar until the reviews started coming in. I might even get a year old model for cheapness sake or the 5x. I was reading on how to activate the 5x/6p on Verizon and it seems possible but moderately annoying, I don't know if my current phone has the proper sim card that can be transferred or not.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

Just google what card size your phone now has. It's not that hard.

It has the micro SIM which I assumed because it's older.

Reading this: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/22/activating-a-nexus-6p-or-5x-on-verizon-some-things-to-know , apparently Google is now saying to call standard Verizon support?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
At this point, is it worth just waiting a month to see what the Black Friday deals are? Googling suggests speculation that due to the end of subsidies, there won't be that many good deals this year.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Bleh, early Black Friday deals are out and every phone deal I can find is installment, not subsidy - besides the Sam's Club one this week.

edit: Target seems to be doing the free Galaxy S6 on subsidy thing, so that may be my best option.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Just saw that T-Mobile is letting people stream unlimited 480p video over their cell network now. I would love to read the explanation of why that's feasible but they have to limit you if the bytes come from the wrong servers if you have the wrong plan, or especially why they can offer a service like that while it would cost many thousands of dollars to get the same number of bytes from Verizon.

Part what's out there/part my guesses:

* Raising the prices on their plans across the board while at the same time increasing data on plans. While the overall ROI for the plans hasn't changed or is better, most people don't use very much data, so basically the low usage people are subsidizing it in part.
* Downgrading HQ streams to 480p
* Nerfing data stash to make this workable
* Preferred content deals/kickbacks with certain providers
* Betting it'll pay for itself with all the switchers
* They're already still not even close to their network being overextended in many places, so more users are close to pure profit

• Locked thread