Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
*228 is the Verizon dial code for "Please send my phone a PRL/roaming update."

It could be worse - some people probably still use a bag phone; if you're getting real 1X data you're still doing better than these poor suckers. :v:

If you know of any fixed-wireless broadband ISPs near you, call them up; a while back, Verizon was actively looking for small companies to partner with, for the purpose of tower leasing and such as part of their 4G build-out. Some little mom-and-pop might know of something coming soon in your area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

So my phone went through the wash, and I had to get a new phone. Aren't the apps you download supposed to be attached to your google account? Do they only keep track of paid apps and not free? If I go the market website, a small number of the (free) apps I downloaded are there, so they do keep track of some of them... Am I SOL?

Free apps aren't always tracked, but they're free, so just re-download them. Unless you have hundreds of apps installed and can't even remember what they all are, in which case why do you have so drat many apps?

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

nickhimself posted:

If, say, boostmobile got onto a good 4G network and spread their coverage throughout the states, they could take their current monthly no contract pricing structure and steal thousands of customers from other carriers. 50 bucks a month for a phone without a contract on good coverage with 4G? I'd move from Verizon immediately, and I've been with them for-loving-ever.

Most of these monthly carriers (Ting, Boost, Virgin) are just Sprint MVNOs, and they finally are working on a decent 4G footprint. That probably is your best bet for now.

(Does Verizon resell their network like that? I'd guess that they don't have to, since they already have more customers than just about anyone.)

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Mark Larson posted:

The thing is, none of the MVNOs work on 4G and I don't know if there are any chances of that happening in the near future. Straight Talk, for example doesn't use the LTE part of the AT&T network, Virgin Mobile and Boost phones are purely 3G, and I don't think you can even activate a VZW 4G LTE phone on Page Plus.

Ting is a new Sprint MVNO, and they sell this: https://ting.com/devices/Moto-Photon

I don't own this device, so I can't confirm that it actually uses Sprint's 4G network. But if they sell you a "4G" device (and charge you nearly $600 for it), and then it doesn't actually use 4G, I think you'd have a darn good case for returning it/disputing the purchase on your credit card.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone who would spend nearly $600 on that phone (what with it being a WiMax device) needs to have their head examined.

I agree. But, it makes the point that at least it's possible to get 4G on an MVNO. Hopefully, at some point it will be possible to do so, with good hardware and sane pricing, but one step at a time.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
The real question here, is "why the hell is "Android OS taking up nearly half of your battery life every time?"

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Anecdote: my Nexus wasn't as bad as the one in this thread, but usually 20% of its battery life was spent in "Android OS". After upgrading to the most recent 4.0.4 leak, I haven't seen that at more than five percent. Disclaimer, I never ran any deep battery analysis, and while I don't remember changing any software on the last few days I cannot guarantee it.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
This is bizarre:

that Verizon leaked document posted:

CLEU (Corporate Liable End User) and ELEU (Employee Liable End User) discounts apply to Share Everything Monthly Account Access of $34.99 and higher. These discounts do not apply to the Share Everything Monthly Line Access.

The table on the first page labels the per-device charges as "monthly line access" and the data bucket as "monthly account access". Thus, it looks to me like they're basically reversing how discounts have historically worked: you get your employee discount on the data plan, but not on the per-device charges.

Edit: but to make things even more twisty, if you get a data-only plan for your seven iPads, then the per-device charge is labeled as "monthly line access" and data is "data". I now realize just how far they're willing to go, to make these plans incomprehensible (as well as obnoxious).

Weird Uncle Dave fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 15, 2012

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Cojawfee posted:

So does Verizon just totally block wallet from being used? This is really pissing me off that a carrier can decide I can't have an app on my unlocked phone. An update for wallet came out but I can't get it because I'm not supposed to be able to even install it in the first place.

If you can get the software on your phone, it'll run just fine. The problem is getting it - most of the old workarounds for getting it from Google have been patched, and I wouldn't trust some random xda-developers download link for software that can touch my credit cards.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

arisu posted:

I rooted my Galaxy Nexus as soon as I opened it and forgot about it. Do I need to unroot before I install the update?

If you "just" rooted but it's otherwise stock, chances are excellent the update will apply just fine. If you're worried about keeping root post-update, there are a couple programs that try to help with this. (Superuser Elite is the one I've used, and I survived the last Galaxy Nexus OTA update just fine.)

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
FWIW, my employee discount applies to both lines. I'm on a family plan and my discount is a meager 22%, though.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

SeaborneClink posted:

$29.99 - Nationwide 65+ 250min/500 N&W
$10 - 1000 SMS/MMS
$30 - 2GB Data

$69.99 :eng99:

Check for a work discount though

The 65+ plan is only for :corsair: customers. Assuming that crestfallen isn't 65 or older, what's the next best option?

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I think people are forgetting that the only reason you are forced to seek out wifi on the phone is because of caps and/or coverage issues. Before caps existed (and also because phones were less efficient with wifi), people wouldn't have wifi on 24/7 and/or use a wireless AP at home/work whenever possible.

I look for wifi because it tends to be faster and more reliable than 4G, and easier on my phone's battery. Maybe my market got the half-assed buildout, or is overloaded.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I have a really dumb question. It's marked as a "single line" plan. Can I have multiple instances of this plan on the same account? My wife and I are on a Share Everything plan. Switching to this would get us more data, at about $10/month less than we're paying now, even with my work discount.

Edit: found it in the FAQ, if I want to save the money I'll have to split our plan back into two separate plans :mad:

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I was just going on this line in the FAQ for that plan (emphasis mine):

quote:

The $60/2 GB smartphone single line plan is a promotional voice, text and data plan specifically for smartphone customers who have only 1 line.

The way that reads, if I wanted to put two phones on the plan, I'd have to break them up into two accounts, get two bills, et cetera. If that's the case, I'm not sure it's worth the extra hassle for the relatively small savings.

If it actually is possible to have multiple instances of this plan on the same account, hey, that's cool. I'll probably try calling to get this set up soon. (Don't suppose any of you Verizon reps that have done this work in Saint Louis?)

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
More prone to dropping calls in lousy coverage areas, AND will cost me more? Sign me up! :wtc:

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Thanks for letting us know about this, Space Racist! I'm quite okay with saving :10bux: a month.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
If you're switching to T-Mobile, I think they're still doing that deal where they'll pay off your contract if you trade in your phone and buy a new one from them. If you really can't bear to wait a few more weeks for your contract to finish the normal way, that might also be an option.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
The auctions are those silly ones where if someone bids in the last few seconds, the timer is extended. So the winners probably are the people that just sit there and mash the button all day.

There are a few local restaurants with decent-ish coupons in the program, but that's pretty much all I've ever gotten out of it. Thinking about just dumping all my points into one of their drawings for a free iPad or whatever, because they're not really doing me any good otherwise.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Am I reading this right? This reads like I'm suddenly going to save about fifty dollars a month for no reason. Not that I'm complaining ...

My service right now is $119 (2 smartphones at $40/month, plus 3GB data at $50 minus 22% employer discount).

Under this new scheme, my bill will be $70 (2 smartphones at $20, plus 3GB data at $30), maybe less assuming my employer discount still applies to some part of it. This is almost too-good-to-be-true, so I assume I'm missing something.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Blinkman987 posted:

I believe it's $45 for 3 gig shareable, so you'd be at $85 minus discount. Still, not too bad. You're also plus ~$900 every 2 years for two new phones if you keep a two-year upgrade cadence, which is ~$40/mo.

Having crunched through all the numbers, including our phones proper, looks like this new plan actually isn't quite as good as I'd thought...

My wife's on a payment plan for her iPhone, and I'll be on one in October (once the old contract is done and this year's new iPhone is out). So we're actually paying $139 now, and it'd be $159 with a second phone (both are about $35 a month, minus the $15 More Everything discount).

So we'd now be at ($85 a month plus $70 for two phones, with no discounts) = $155/month. Still a little bit of savings, but nowhere near as dramatic.

:sigh:

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
One my my lines is still in-contract for another two months, and it let me switch, but with a $20/month upcharge on that line. (I wonder if that will drop off automatically when my contract ends, or if I'm setting myself up for a future customer-service nightmare.)

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
There are two lines on my account. One's out of contract and already on a 24-month payment plan for a new phone; the other's contract will be up in November. I'm presently on a More Everything plan, but have already queued up a switch to the new plans, which will kick in when my next billing cycle starts on September 4.

Is Verizon likely to let me get a new phone in late September (which may or may not be an iPhone) on the line that still has a contract, or will I have to wait until November to do so?

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I may not have used the right terminology. I'm not interested in a new contract or a subsidized phone.

After I switch to the new t-shirt plan, the line that's still under contract will have a $20 surcharge (to pay off the rest of my subsidy, presumably). I want to know if I can get a new phone, full price, 24 payments, and get the $20 surcharge off that line, or if I'll have to pay that extra fee until the end of the contract regardless.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
If I have to wait an extra month to get the iPhone 7.5 or whatever they announce next month, it's certainly not the end of the world. If I can get it early, though, that's also pretty swell. I'll probably check in late September, after the new plan is in force and the new phone is available, because it's a quick and easy thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I'll be spending a few days in Ireland next month. Verizon offers an international plan that boils down to ":10bux: a day to use your same voice and data". Appears to only bill you on the days you actually have international usage which is nice. I could get a local SIM at the Dublin airport but a month of prepaid service would cost around $40 so it's basically a wash, cost wise, and I'd lose the ability to receive calls on my Verizon number.

What terrible things could come about if I add that to my phone and plan temporarily? It seems affordable and simple which is not at all what I would expect from Verizon... Alternatively, any better options I should know about?

• Locked thread