Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AppleCobbler posted:

As a Bionic owner, I'm kinda pissed they would introduce a product that's literally twice as thin and boasts as good or better battery life and better specs overall within a month of their long-anticipated and supposedly flagship phone.
Is this your first Android phone or something?

Also, yes the Bionic's development was a complete mess and what we eventually got isn't even the same phone that won accolades at CES 9 months earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

iPhone 4S has a 64GB option.
At a silly-expensive price. The margin on that model is ridiculous.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This "Share Everything" plan that I'm gonna end up getting when I switch this Fall really makes me want to switch out my iPad for a Verizon model.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

You can tether for free so get a wifi iPad.
Is tethering included now as part of the Share Everything plan? I don't see it as an additional feature anymore when I go to buy an iPhone. I looked for something in the OP related to tethering but didn't see it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm really hoping Apple steps in here.
Why would they? AT&T makes it possible to use FaceTime over 3G/4G. You just have to upgrade to a modern data plan. This isn't the first time carriers restrict features in order to get people on new plans. Anyone who seriously thought they'd be able to hang onto their unlimited data plans on AT&T forever was delusional.

Also this is the Verizon thread.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm really hoping Apple steps in here.
Why would they? AT&T makes it possible to use FaceTime over 3G/4G. You just have to upgrade to a modern data plan. This isn't the first time carriers restrict features in order to get people on new plans. Anyone who seriously thought they'd be able to hang onto their unlimited plans forever was delusional.

Also this is the Verizon thread.

edit: and I seriously can't wait for the fallout if AT&T pulls a "unlimited 3G data plans not compatible with the new LTE iPhone." The writing is on the wall already.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's no different than iOS' native tethering feature. They just add a disclaimer that it requires carrier support. Also the expectation is already set with FaceTime that you need Wi-Fi. You're not taking any features away, just keeping people with old plans at the status quo.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Were there *any* good Tegra 2 phones?
Sprint's Photon 4G was an okay phone. It wasn't very exciting, but also didn't have any huge shortcomings at launch. In hindsight it's terrible because it'll probably be stuck on Gingerbread forever and Sprint's trying to distance themselves from their WiMax devices as quickly as possible.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Holy poo poo Verizon sends a ton of spam at their users. In the 4 days I've been a Verizon customer I think I've received 7 texts from them and just as many emails. I need to dig around My Verizon and find the options to leave me the gently caress alone. "Check out our stores for iPhone 5 accessories!" No gently caress off!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

God drat I hated my HTC Apache.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

how isnt it? most phones wil drop 50 percent in a day of idle minimum.
Don't buy bad phones.

kbar posted:

It's very obviously less about the operating system and more about the fact that we're on second-gen LTE radios.
We have other data points (tablets in particular) that imply that the operating system does impact battery life significantly.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Does the thunderbolt have ice cream sandwich yet?
Good one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Galler posted:

Maybe there will be some breakthrough in a few years but for now even a cheap point and shoot is a lot better.
The best camera is the one you have with you, and most people don't want to carry a point-and-shoot. Camera phones are "good enough" for many users in most scenarios.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JayKay posted:

(Argh, why doesn't iOS have Gentle Alarm?)
http://www.sleepcycle.com/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Super Dude posted:

I don't suppose they give any sort of hard release dates on items they show there?
Not really. I think it took ~9 months for stuff like the Transformer Infinity to release after its debut at last CES.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Can I do better than $849 for a 64gb iPhone through Verizon (so I can keep my unlimited data) or is that simply the only price they sell for anywhere?
Craigslist for stolen phones, but otherwise no that's the price.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Did she have a backup of the device on her computer before she updated? There are tools out there to extract text conversations from the backup.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I doubt you'll get an SMS log out of Verizon without a subpoena.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So, no.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tonic posted:

so basically with those of us already paying for 5GB+ of data (family plan), the MORE plans offer 0 savings?
That appears to be the case for me, yes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Moto X.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hey, neat. I thought only my AmEx was good for that kind of stuff.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Baram posted:

• If the claim is due to theft or criminal action, a copy of the police report.
Lying to cops for a new phone ain't no thing. :shepface:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I haven't paid attention to Verizon's plan changes over the last year or two, but I guess I should figure them out before I re-up this week. :sigh:

I currently have a 6GB Share Everything plan with 3 phones and a tablet. Can I just keep that without dealing with any of this goofy amortized device cost stuff?

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 10, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I posted an iPhone preordering discussion thread to collect some of the more frequent questions. Carrier-specific stuff will hopefully still remain here, but the preordering thread should take care of the other stuff. :shobon:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Weird question : does the phone you trade in for the $200 towards the iPhone 6 have to be the same phone that you're upgrading?
I don't think so.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I am kind of wondering if I should give up my unlimited plan for the $450 subsidy on an iPhone 6 as well as the $13 per month drop in bill. I work at home and wifi is everywhere around the city so have only hit 2gb twice or so in the past two years with my s3.
There is no reason for you to have unlimited data.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What's the promotional data? I assume that's because I renewed my contract today, but how long will I have that?

Also just to cross-post from the iPhone thread, VoLTE is working well for me on Verizon.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hoobajoo posted:

For every smartphone line added or upgraded (both Edge or 2 year) during Sept, you get 1GB for free for 2 years.
Neat, thanks! I figured Verizon would have sent me an email. Maybe I'll get a letter in the next few days.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Well, did you ship it with tracking?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

It was using their own USPS shipping materials they sent.
Right. Did you get the label number before you mailed it to see if it can be tracked?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Trisk posted:

The only thing I'm aware is if you're in a VoLTE call and you move from a 4G to 3G area the call drops.
I've only been hit by this once or twice in the couple of months that I've had VoLTE on, and I guess it's worth the trade-off for the improved call quality.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

this sweet move posted:

I'm at work and using the direct IP lets me sneak around the proxy server that blocks entertainment sites. :ssh:

This should also work:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3399907
sup Websense buddy

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Really dumb question here, hope this is the best spot. My office at work is the dead middle of a 12 story building. When the wind blows the right direction, I get a cellular signal and/or my phone will ring when someone calls. Does Verizon make a device that is like a cellular signal repeater or amplifier? If so, where do I get one?
Does your company have a corporate plan through Verizon? Depending on the value of the contract you/your employer might be able to get them to install microcells in your building.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

We do have a corporate plan with Verizon, however, for reasons, no action has been made in the past when this issue has been raised. I'm open to 3rd party solutions, if anyone has recommendations.
In that case, Googling for "Verizon microcell" yields this pretty quickly:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hed posted:

How far away are we from being able to speak in HDVoice intercarrier? Really VZW <-> ATT.
"2015"

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471525,00.asp

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Actually, these new plans are the first time where my bill would go DOWN if I gave up unlimited.
Considering you're already buying devices outright anyway, I suppose that makes sense. Most people on subsidized plans that I see saying "hey this will bring my bill down!" are forgetting to add in amortized device costs or the upfront device cost, whichever they chose.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can I pay ETFs to get my on-contract lines down to $20 a month instead of $40 without cancelling service?

edit: Verizon chat said no.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 28, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hed posted:

Can the latest iPhones do voice and data at the same time on Verizon?
Yes, since the 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hey you should use all that unlimited data to post more Gizmo pics.

• Locked thread