Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

How can they justify doubling their prices? 70 dollars for 4gb? Enjoy super fast speeds on your new 4GLTE phone!for five minutes

Unless you are an a crowded area, where LTE speeds are already tanking. I was in Indianapolis last night for the Roger Waters show and couldn't even post messages to Google+ half the time. At the end of the show, I couldn't make a call. I had to wait until I got out of the city for service to speed up and for me to be able to make a call.

As soon as my contract is up I am heading to a prepaid carrier. I can't afford this nonsense any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's actually pretty common around big events. That's not an indicator of normal congestion and you have to figure that every single verizon device in that arena was sharing one single tower.

I can understand the data speeds, but the fact that even making a phone call was impossible was pathetic. With Verizon's new plans, calls should have priority over everything else since they apparently see that's what customers want (they are doing a fine job with offering data, since it didn't work it would have kept me within my caps). :)

Anyways, I am just angry with Verizon and any reason to hate them is a good reason at this point. The smartphone is such a nice device to own, until Verizon goes to ruin it with making data access so expensive mortal man cannot afford it. Ughhh.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

ModestMuse posted:

It would be MORE expensive today...

$110 for 2000 minutes and unlimited text

$30 per line for 2gb data access

$10 per line for share plan access

Total of $310

So it's $10 less and you get unlimited minutes and free tethering.

But the problem is, who NEEDS unlimited calling? Our account has 4 phones and we share 550 minutes, we NEVER go over. We also do not have a home phone, and we still never go over. Unlimited voice/text is completely worthless to me and I would imagine the bulk of Verizon's customer base. They sure has heck didn't do this to save ANYONE money, it's done to leech every last penny from their pockets.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
These plans have always worked out that if you can use the device longer than two years, you'll save some cash provided you buy the phone from the carrier. If you source it from somewhere else at a deep discount you can save money as well.

Since you still need to have a Verizon Approved device it isn't as good as the GSM carriers where you can kinda bring anything.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Three-Phase posted:

ATT capping their data at 3Mbps and 480 video and 128kbps after 10GB tethering.

My response: https://youtu.be/4uEnNSclcqI

I still don't understand what they're doing. They now offer two unlimited plans .. which are still worse than the other carriers options. Stop making it worse AT&T.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Duckman2008 posted:

They're all bad about focusing on "shareholders" and "growth," but ATT is by far the worst on basing every decision on around what gets highest revenue.

It seems they are feeling some pressure from the other carriers and scrambling to adjust. I would think this would be much worse for "shareholder value" than just competing to begin with, but I'm not in charge of AT&T either so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

AlexDeGruven posted:

poo poo, even calls and texts are dodgy af in a large enough event. Michigan Stadium is a notable example.

It was useless last year with T-Mobile at the Lucas Oil Stadium for me, event had sapped every bit of capacity from their network. Going back in a couple weeks so I'll see how Verizon fares .. not expecting much! However, I am loving my unlimited plan so a little bit of "unable to use data here" doesn't bother me.

• Locked thread