Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

scorp31 posted:

What if the Bitcoin Police get to you first?

Return 49% of what you stole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Lolie posted:

I can just imagine someone trying to file a $10,000 claim for their stolen laptop. I'd hate to be the poor insurance assessor who has to deal with that claim.

It'd be a pretty quick claim to process, really - "i'm sorry sir but data isn't covered by any policy, so games are not covered. i suggest contacting the retailer you purchased them from.

...i'm sorry, your anonymous crypto-currency of the future is not covered then, whatever, i have actual things to do here."

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

so not a single mention of the laptops getting stolen by bruce or anyone on bitcointalk, if i had an account i'd bring it up but :effort:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Remember, positive energy.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

The-Mole posted:

Remember, positive energy.

NOW AND FORVER.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nnep posted:

OnlyOneTV.com global television network

Never stop believing Bruce.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Dexo posted:

Return 49% of what you stole?

It's like some wierd libertarian blackjack.

House always wins.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
The LIVE VIDEO STREAMING COVERAGE Bruce promised us has been dead most of the day. Bruce, can't you do anything right? BRUUUUCE! :argh:

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

These people are so disconnected from reality it's no longer as funny. Every scheme they cooked up has to be one that they can run from their parents' basement. To get your stuff on the shelf of stores, they need to know who you are, retard. The real world is NOT like a forum on the internet. I really don't think there's anyone in there who actually believe their crypto-currency is the way of the future because of freedom. Every single one of them are there because they think they could and want to gently caress over other people. It's a cesspool of sociopaths.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

gnarlyhotep posted:

The LIVE VIDEO STREAMING COVERAGE Bruce promised us has been dead most of the day. Bruce, can't you do anything right? BRUUUUCE! :argh:

Maybe the Swede came back and stole their camera.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Lolie posted:

Maybe the Swede came back and stole their camera.

Good point. He probably was thinking, drat that was an easy score, I could clean these idiots out! Then went and hired some movers. Bruce is going to come back to bare rooms. Maybe a few cables lying around and a 7-up bottle.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Aren't half of them on that forum in high school? I think the enthusiasm for a lot of the kids boils down to not having any job or real concept of money, government, or electric bills; so installing a program on mom's computer is amazing free money for no work, and makes them feel like they are doing something important and 'adult.' Give half of 'em 5 years to grow up a bit and I would bet their opinion will change.

The adults have no excuse.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FuzzyPickles posted:

The adults have no excuse.

What about being stupid and much too libertarian for their own good?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

gnarlyhotep posted:

"Don't bring me down, Bruce!"
- A historical bitcoin conference feed

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Interesting that the *big announcement* still hasn't happened and Saturday was supposed to be the major day of the conference.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Lolie posted:

Interesting that the *big announcement* still hasn't happened and Saturday was supposed to be the major day of the conference.

Maybe the speech was saved on one of the stolen laptops.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Lolie posted:

YOSPOS thread says that one of the laptops stolen by random Swedish guy reportedly contained a wallet file worth USD 10,000.

This really is just perfect. It just wouldn't be a bitcoin event without somebody losing thousands of dollars to blatant theft or fraud.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The Bible posted:

This really is just perfect. It just wouldn't be a bitcoin event without somebody losing thousands of dollars to blatant theft or fraud.

It pretty much sums up bitcoin, doesn't it?

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
Clearly the reason for BitCon's failure was its centralized single point of failure. Bruce Wagner, move over and let the Bitcoin network take care of things!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I think they had their conference in a storage room. It looks like an abandoned water heater at the back of the room in the 6th photo and gently caress knows what's hiding behind that badly tacked up drape.

http://buttcoin.org/

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lolie posted:

I think they had their conference in a storage room. It looks like an abandoned water heater at the back of the room in the 6th photo and gently caress knows what's hiding behind that badly tacked up drape.

http://buttcoin.org/

When you're in a venue this pathetic you can only go up up UP!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
The big announcements...

quote:

There's going to be future Conferences obviously, so there's gonna be

announcement 1
2012 NYC,
2012, Amsterdam
2012, Thailand (forgot the city)
announcement 2
then in 2013 there's going to be a cruise from Spain to Rio ( 17 days ), a 5 star Bitcoin Cruise since Bruce's friend apparently owns the largest travel agency in the world.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=38469.msg471319#msg471319

Bruce is becoming adept at over-promising and under-delivering.

They're clearly happy to continue the "Bitcoin is great for buying drugs" image - there's no way that Amsterdam and Thailand were random choices.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Coincidentally, I was in the area of bitcon this morning(technically yesterday) and tried to walk in and take a look. Sadly, a woman was sitting at the entrance to the reasonably crowded space and told me it would be $53 to get in. Oh well. All I got was a glimpse of some men with suits and some big Mt. Gox banners.

History in the making.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I told my friend about bit coins. He thinks its stupid.

I then told him about the conference. And the email on how to it correctly.

He was honestly floored about how anyone can poo poo of good advice.

How does Bruce have any money....when will the free market (God?) deal with him.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Delthalaz posted:

Coincidentally, I was in the area of bitcon this morning(technically yesterday) and tried to walk in and take a look. Sadly, a woman was sitting at the entrance to the reasonably crowded space and told me it would be $53 to get in. Oh well. All I got was a glimpse of some men with suits and some big Mt. Gox banners.

History in the making.

Why does it cost USD to enter a bitcoin convention?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Well according to Bruce:

"We certainly don't want anyone turned away because they can't afford the admission price.... No no no! ( if anyone is in that situation, email me ) No one will be turned away because they don't have $26. Not on my watch."

Guess the entrance fee has fluctuated a bit. Like a BitCoin. Only up.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

You know what bitcoin was missing? More religious zealots, who misqoute the bible.
That reminds me - one of the pool owners has been embedding religious messages in the blockchain recently (Catholic ones by the looks of it). Same guy that created Tonal Bitcoin.

Traxxus posted:

So Bruce gets some excellent advice for free on how to properly do the conference instead of his thing he is doing now, thankfully (for us) he ignores it.
I'm not sure enough people would be able to afford a "proper" Bitcoin conference for anyone to actually attend.

Unrelatedly, someone seems to have launched yet another Bitcoin fork called SolidCoin. It has some interesting design choices, and I mean that in the sense that they obviously don't realise why Bitcoin didn't do it that way. (In particular, the fast difficulty adjustments make it easier for someone with a botnet to partition the SolidCoin network into two parts and double-spend like mad.)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gutcruncher posted:

Why does it cost USD to enter a bitcoin convention?

Because Ed doesn't want to lose even more money so paying for the conference with worthless (but stable!) U.S. fiat money makes more sense.

Bitcoin, the currency of the future (that cannot trusted to be stable next week).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I heard some guy talking about a masterplan, but he isn't wearing a fursuit. Given the large collection of nerds I'm wondering why they aren't playing D&D.

e: Who's the creepy guy in the shorts playing with himself?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does it make financial sense (yes yes, I know) to mine CoinBits on the Amazon cloud?

They should have more processing power than GPU's, right?

e: vvv The more you know! Thanks.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

brylcreem posted:

Does it make financial sense (yes yes, I know) to mine CoinBits on the Amazon cloud?

They should have more processing power than GPU's, right?

Some guy tried this. The cost of the cpus and tesla gpus didn't stack up when the price was around $22 and the difficulty much lower. The amazon hardware is not well suited or priced for shitcoin mining.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Devian666 posted:

e: Who's the creepy guy in the shorts playing with himself?

What? Please tell me you got a screenshot.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lolie posted:

The big announcements...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=38469.msg471319#msg471319

Bruce is becoming adept at over-promising and under-delivering.

They're clearly happy to continue the "Bitcoin is great for buying drugs" image - there's no way that Amsterdam and Thailand were random choices.

...Amsterdam? Thailand? Is there really a market there? I imagine most bitcoiners are in the US so NYC made sense since they lived there anyway. I mean dumb conference but the location was reasonable.

They really expect people to fly to Thailand? No major airlines take bitcoins I'm pretty sure but lemee check...

Edit: nope.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you're willing to try extorting money with terrorism, to get some value out of your Bitcoins, why not just extort money with terrorism?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

RagnarokAngel posted:

...Amsterdam? Thailand? Is there really a market there? I imagine most bitcoiners are in the US so NYC made sense since they lived there anyway. I mean dumb conference but the location was reasonable.

They really expect people to fly to Thailand? No major airlines take bitcoins I'm pretty sure but lemee check...

Looking at the picture of these middle income IT working "winners" I'm pretty sure a lot of them are often in Thailand for certain purposes.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That dude that gave himself heat stroke from his mining rigs cracks me up.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

What? Please tell me you got a screenshot.

You want to see this? Try the onlyonetv mobile stream it may still be there.

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

What was this thing about baby food jars and poison that got snipped off the bitcoin boards. That sounds awful but I missed it. Anyone have a screenshot or saved the text?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

notMordecai posted:

What was this thing about baby food jars and poison that got snipped off the bitcoin boards. That sounds awful but I missed it. Anyone have a screenshot or saved the text?

Someone saved it in the old YOSPOS thread:

quote:

The following scenario seems like it's potentially the perfect crime. You can extract money through extortion without ever being traced to the event. Heres how it works:

Step 1 - Invest: Purchase a large amount of Bitcoins, perhaps spread over a few months for increased security.
Step 2 - Extort: Example scenario: Mail baby food containers that have had sulfuric acid injected inside to several major supermarket chains. The package also contains documents detailing how these will appear in random stores unless you are sent $1 million in Bitcoin to a specified address. Also include instructions for converting to Bitcoin, and the measures they may need to take to get around exchange limits.
Step 3 - Sell: As the victims buy up a huge amount of Bitcoin the price will rise drastically. You know approximately how many Bitcoins are going to be bought up, however you may wish to be safe and not aim to sell at the exact peak. They are on a time limit and need the Bitcoins despite the price rise, you sell your Bitcoins to them along with the thousands of other people.
Step 4 - Refund: Send all the Bitcoins that have been sent to you back to the victims, say you have changed your mind and this was a mistake, they wont hear from you again.
Step 5 - Crash: Inevitably as they try to sell off the Bitcoins the price will drop down again to it's original state.

Once the price has crashed you can either rinse and repeat the process, or be content with the money you have gained.

The example I posted can be replaced with any number of different extortion methods. You can literally execute hundreds of extortion attempts at the same time anonymously and you are likely to have at least a few hits.

Is this possible? How can it be traced/stopped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

RagnarokAngel posted:

There's an NYC Bitcon 2012 as well.

The idea of regional conferences isn't necessarily a bad one - it happens in politics and in business all the time - but the choice of cities for Europe and SE Asia/Oceania is an "interesting" one. It's very easy for Westerners to find themselves in deep poo poo in Thailand.