Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Hahaha, god. Jerry Doyle is a dick, you need look no further than the fact that he's a right-wing radio hack.

Ah, yes. He is conservative, therefore, a dick.

GOd forbid someone should have a different world view than you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Don't forget the alternate SG-1 intro

http://youtu.be/CqDE8kocoTI

Hey, it's not any worse than the lyrics to the Star Trek theme (by means of which Roddenberry appropriated half of Sandy's royalties for writing the damned music, though it was never used -- begins at 1:17), or the Bonanza theme lyrics.

twistedmentat posted:

They look more like a 90s band trying to be 60s.

You weren't around in the sixties, were you? It pretty much really looked like that in places.

Effingham fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 27, 2011

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

I think my favorite moment of SG-1 is when Teal'c sits down to watch the Vagina monologues.

Oh, GOD...

I *missed* an episode!

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

For what it's worth, that is the highlight of the episode it's from.

"Family Ties"
Vala's father, Jacek, makes a deal with the SGC for sanctuary in exchange for helping stop an attack on Earth. As Jacek attempts to repair his relationship with Vala, General Landry is inspired to reach out to his daughter, Dr Lam, and his ex-wife.

drat.

TIme to break out the season 10 discs....

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Those are some of my favorite moments. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL9BYBcng-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MFcNK0Te_U

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I always had a weird crush on Dr Frasier.

That is not a weird crush.

I had it, too. BIG time. Then they killed her.

Bastards.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Like I mentioned in the old Stargate Universe thread. Midway is one of my favorite SG:A episodes. To the point where I wanted a Ronon/Teal'c spinoff with Carter's dad as their boss.

Stargate: Wrecking poo poo

I am not much of a Ronon fan, but... I think I would watch the everlovin' crap outta that show.

Effingham fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 13, 2011

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

golgo13sf posted:

I just re-watched SGA:Rising Pt. 1 and realized the Ancient woman in the beginning is the one they find in the ice in SG1:Frozen. Never noticed that before, nice bit of continuity.

That was Ona Grauer. Yup. (She also played a human named Emily Young in SGU).

Another bit of internal consistency, though: Melia McClure, an actress who played "Ancient Woman" in "Rising" plays an Ancient named "Melia" in the SGA episode "Before I Sleep" -- the one where Weir ends up in an parallel timeline in the original Atlantis, and talks them into putting her in stasis to keep the city working until the SG team shows up. And they find her in stasis as a very old version of herself. So she played the same character -- an Ancient woman scientist in Atlantis -- in two episodes. Cool.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Forum Actuary posted:

The head of the Ancient council in "Before I Sleep" is also the same actor, and presumably the same character, as Merlin in SG-1. I thought that was awesome.

drat. Part of me wants to think that's not just a fortuitous casting accident, but actually a clever plan by the powers that were on the show, a bit of an easter egg to those who were really paying attention.

But then again, knowing those folks, it's probably more the former than the latter.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Jolan posted:

I'm pretty sure they explicitly stated that it was the same guy in some episode with Oma Desala or whatever her name was.

Cool, I missed that, then.

I love that sort of continuity.

Pity they blew the big points on everyone speaking English, and all stargates having the same symbols and functional addresses....

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

IRQ posted:

Wait what? You wanted them to spend 1/3 of every episode learning the language and you don't understand how telephones work?

Well, the language thing seemed to matter in SGU (or did the rule on languages change?)......

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

General Emergency posted:

"Xenu? I have never heard of such systemlord."

Dammit, that came out of nowhere. I laughed so hard I almost spilled my scotch. That would have been unforgivable.

But... drat, that was funny.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Sheppard just names poo poo. It's his thing.

Stargate colonels LOVE naming things. O'Neill was the same.

"Sir, you can't call the ship 'Enterprise.'"

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I thought this was debunked as wishful thinking by Stargate fans.

Well, if Archie's chair can land in the Smithsonian....

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Also the worst character in sci-fi is Adric.

Oh, dear God, preach it, brother.

I have never heard applause at the death of a character in Doctor Who before, but at a con when we watched Eartshock... well, there was not a wet eye in the house.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

Giggerota the Wicked would like to have a word with you.

<shudder>

"Giggerota has big appetites, and not just for food."

</shudder>

Gorilla Salad posted:

All this Lexx talk almost makes me want to go back and try to finish watching season 4.

Almost.

Yo ay yo
Hum va ray
Hyo ay rah
Jarum Brunnen G!

Effingham fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 30, 2011

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Last night SyFy reran the first Atlantis episode with Lucious (and drat is he always fun) and Lt Tits showed up as one of his wives.

Note: "-us" is a Latin name ending. "-os" is a Greek name ending.

Demetrius is a Latin name. Demitrios is a Greek name.

-ous (combining the two above) is an English adjectival ending denoting a quality (like ambitious, anxious, curious, fictiious, laborious, etc.) It is NOT a name ending.

Lucius is a name. Lucious is a misspelling of luscious -- and while Lucius may be luscious, that isn't guaranteed.

Sorry, but I see that -ious misspelling in names a lot, and it's one of my buttons.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

drcru posted:

Fun fact: Chris Judge's girlfriend is apparently a stripper. He also really likes The Voice.

That explains "I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-O"

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Minimaul posted:

Oh, I don't think the arc is bad. I just really hate those fuckers (and the Priors too).

Well, there were those two nice, innocent people who were burned alive. The fact that they were just "meh, not our folk" really creeped me out about that episode.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

General Emergency posted:

The creative usage of transporters was probably my favorite thing in Atlantis. The Asgard hand humans transporter technology but not weapons figuring it's a nice non-risky gift to a growing race. Humans weaponize it in about five minutes.

This reminded me of a great "Brewster Rocket" comic:

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

ParagonParadox27 posted:

NOBODY sings its praises; we all, who have seen it, admit it is TERRIBLE, but sometimes it's tolerable due to the complete insanity of it and fun therein.

When showering, I find myself singing the Brunnen-G chant. I don't know why.

Yo ay yo
Hum va ray
Hyo ay rah
Jarum Brunnen-G

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

drcru posted:

Pretty sure having a vagina wouldn't be any fun. Wouldn't mind losing a few pounds though!

I wouldn't mind having a vagina.

Not PERSONALLY having one, mind you, but... y'know. ;)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

vandelay industries posted:

Looks like Chris Judge is casted in The Dark Knight Rises

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/07/stargates-christopher-judge-cast-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

The past tense of "cast" is "cast". Not "casted." :eng101:

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I know what you mean. While I think what Judge says makes him look like an idiot, at least it doesn't make me actively dislike him.
I've haven't been able to enjoy Adam Baldwin's performances as much since I found out that his political ideology is repugnant.

Now you know how I feel about Alec Baldwin. And Sean Penn. And Tim Robbins. And...

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Der Luftwaffle posted:

My favourite bit of all time has to be when Bratac starts describing the dangerous journey they have to make to blow the ship's reactor and Jack just drops two grenades off the catwalk. It so perfectly lampoons the ridiculous objectives in FPS games that I always forget that the show pre-dates most of them.

I love this bit as well. I hadn't thought of it as an FPS lampoon, so much as those over-the-top quest things where step one leads to two, and so on. Hate railroading. But we're in the same chapter, if not on the same page.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Drizzt01 posted:

Daniel was a whiney bitch in the first few seasons. I much prefer sarcastic later seasons Daniel.

Well, his wife HAD been taken and made into a snakehead and he couldn't get to her to save her. That tends to sour your mood.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

drcru posted:

Didn't even have a cowboy hat.

Fedora != cowboy hat.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Tupping Liberty posted:

Picking my SG1 watch back up in the middle of season 2.

The general saying "Son, do you know what color this phone is?" in Touchstone slayed me.

Hammond of Texas was my favorite character in the entire show. I was majorly bummed when Don Davis died -- he was by all accounts a genuinely nice guy.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

scarymonkey posted:

Actually the order should be Teyla -> RC car with camera taped to it -> expensive MALP -> Humans

"Hey, orderly. It's Bob, right? I know you want a bigger role here at the SGC, and I've decided to create a special position and duty JUST FOR YOU..."

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Yaos posted:

What if you took an active gate and pushed it through another active gate? Would they explode? Would they make a baby gate?

That lady got naked but O'Neil never got naked. :argh:

That lady was Mrs. Shanks. Also Mrs. Jackson. Convenient how that worked....

(I remember being really frustrated 'cause I wanted the blonde sergeant to get all nekkid, too, and we got PG-rated stuff from her. :( )

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

The new doctor is also Mrs. Shanks. Also the reason they wrote in the pregnancy storyline was due to Shanks.

Shanks married Matt Smith?!?!

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Just wondering since if its the New New version the second episode makes no sense. Hey lets cut Kawalsky getting taken over by the Goa uld

I always wondered why the hell they made that cut. It made no sense to me.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

eating only apples posted:

Starting from the beginning, watched Children of the Gods last night. This is gonna be awesome.

I envy you so much.

Once a year or so I do a watch through (and I have to force myself not to skip one or two particular episodes (cough Emancipation cough Urgo cough).

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

Ba'nii whey!

:lol:

One of my favorite lines from the movie, and one delivered with such sincerity. :)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

No you will not. The writer of that episode also wrote the Space African episode of Star Trek TNG.

The only redeeming quality of that episode (and I cut the episode considerable slack due to it) is Amanda Tapping's First Season Cleavage.

Man, I love that woman. I find myself wildly torn between her and Teryl Rothery.

Capt. Carter, or Dr. Fraser? Tough drat call. They're both major babes, very bright, witty, great senses of humor, and... well, they have THOSE.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

Just checked, and it was Russ Mayburry who arbitrarily decided to make the whole planet African. The writer didn't have anything to do with that decision.

And that would have made it a totally different film -- much more palatable.

Damned moron director.

I understand he was blackballed by Trek after that, IIRC....

bobkatt013 posted:

Carter wins since she still has her head.

I admit it. I cried when they killed off Fraser. It's like when they blew up Dr. Scotty. What do they have against popular physician characters? DAMMIT! :argh:

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

eating only apples posted:

I watched The Broca Divide to get the taste of Emancipation out of my mouth and it was pretty good :) I really like Dr. Fraser.

Teal'c: Diplomat Extraordinaire.

That was the episode where I developed the hero worship for O'Neil. He was barely able to survive the levels of the drugs they were pumping into him, and he had the presence of mind -- over the influence of the disease-thing -- to say "USE ME."

That, of course, and the "My name is not Lucy. How do I know you are better?"

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

I remember reading the book as a kid and just being flabbergasted at how awful the science is. He literally makes things up and often times leaves out keywords, (LIKE "NOT") when quoting others. Seriously. If you read the book, and go to the trouble of tracking down original sources, you find that he literally cuts out things that contradict what he's trying to say.

Hell, in a television interview once, he was asked about one of the more egregious instances, and he pretty much said "Well, I wouldn't have sold a lot of books if I quoted him correctly."

I remember a wonderful TV documentary called "Crash Go the Chariots" that debunked and explained all the von Daniken crapola. I think it aired a few times thirty or so years ago, and I haven't seen it since -- but I *still* see von Daniken and his poo poo on TV all the time.

The world (TV consumers in particular) is full of morons.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

Thor's Hammer (and later Thor's Chariot) are great episodes.

NOW WE ARE MATCHED!

Oh God, you're up to Torment of Tantalus, so sad. :cry:

"All that 'meaning of life' stuff...." -- loved that episode. Daniel as a knowledge-hungry Ahab was very interesting to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

I see what you mean.

I find myself being impressed, at times, with the really emotive titles of some of the episodes. In addition to this one, recently in this thread Cold Lazarus came up. I love those titles, and the images they evoke.