Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Senor Tron posted:

Apart from Rush were there any non-Americans aboard Destiny?

I'm pretty sure a few were at least supposed to be Canadian or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

richardfun posted:

Just rewatched Continuum, and I dunno if I missed something but I'm confused. Mitchell goes back to 1929, using Baals time machine. He gets himself onto grandpa's ship in 1939, and helps thwart Baals plan. What then happened to Mitchell, being stuck in 1939?

Did he just live out his days there, and was 'another' Cam Mitchell born because his granddad was still alive?

The secret is, Cam is his own grandfather. His grandfather in the picture is actually his grandfathers grandfather, but due to recursion errors theres an infinite number of Cam's in between the iteration you see on TV and his grandfather that he helped.

It's a lot like that futurama episode.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MjolnirMan posted:

So, logically, Jack is simultaneously Cam's father and son, then.

Exactly. Jack is also his own grandfather and great great grandfather because of the same kind of loop.

Thats one hosed up genetic pool.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I'd be curious if they would be blowing out any of those old Dell Laptops they used. Bonus if they had the Atlantis emblem.

Or McKay's Tablet :3

Yet another reason why Amanda Tapping was horribly misused during season 4. Would have been a seamless transition with Carter taking Tayla's place once she realized she was preggers. Instead we get Carter stuck in Weir's old office doing paperwork and MSPainting the CGI sets for Sanctuary.

But that would break the formula of 1 scientist, 1 team leader, 1 warrior and a useless person that stargate had used for so many years.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Useless Carter > Useless Tayla

Plus the awesome Carter/McKay exchanges would have only gotten greater.

Yes but Carter was never useless :colbert:

Daniel was the useless one of sg1, not saying I didn't love the character, but honestly when he wasn't playing translator he was just jacks conscience. I too would have loved the Carter McKay team, but that would have broken their team formula. But then I would watch "ronin & tel'c: wreaking poo poo" daily for a decade if they ever made that because their dynamic was so good. Hell, they should have done more sg1 Atlantis cross over eps too, because Shepard, Mitchell, and McKay had such a good dynamic on that one that I was hoping for more.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

Who else would die every other mission?

It's stargate, we don't need a red shirt. If you need to kill off random people they can be introduced for that episode or season. The whole death, ascended, alive, death ascended alive thing got tired quick. It was a neat gimmick the first time, but they shouldn't have kept killing and redirecting him, as that made it mundane.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

Do not forget dead - oh wait it was just a trick. Also from the movie death and get to a sarcophagus

I'm not bothered by the sarcophagus thing, because they quickly phased it out as dangerous, so it became a "last resort" item. The other killing his character because michal shanks is a dick parts could halve been done without. If he's that big of a dick, why not write him out of the show in a permanent fashion like they did fraiser. There was no need to resurect him after that, as he really didn't contribute too much other than "my friend died, now I'm sad, but wait he's naked in jacks office and not really dead"

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drizzt01 posted:

Was Fraiser a pain to work with or something? Its funny how michael shanks was a pain because I only heard good things about him before. Maybe that was just because him and Christopher Judge were good friends.
She was killed for dramatic impact on what they thought was the last season. By the time they found out that it wasn't going to be, it was too late to go back on killing off the good doctor.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

vandelay industries posted:

I always thought that Sheppard was way smarter than he let on. He'd actually shut McKay up on many occasions with his logic. eg. "But... what? Yea.. I guess you're ... right."

He is way smarter than he lets on, he was invited to Mensa because his IQ was so high but turned them down. He also several times spouted off the answer to a mathematical calculation in seconds, while Rodney was still trying to figure it out. I think he hid it because being too smart is often ground upon in military combat positions.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mortanis posted:

It's not like Stargate is even internally consistent. On one hand, you have the repeatedly used idea that moving a gate in proximity to a planet causes it to respond to that planet's address (See: second gate on Earth, and I think that was a plot point of the S1 finale). On the other hand, you have people moving gates and having their original address working, even when not even in the same galaxy (See: Pegasus Bridge). Do gates respond to their address no matter their location or not?

Pegasus bridge gates had all new addresses that Rodney or someone (rodney) had to calculate. There was a throwaway line about how they were removed from the network. They also used milky way gates as well.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

Or it was due to the age of the gate system. As they said the only gate that could dial the milky way in the Pegasus galaxy was Atlantis.

Because the Atlantis one had a special control chip, one that they only had one of and couldn't replicate. The gate bridge overcame this by making the trip to a halfway point they could walk 30 or so ft and jump back into the other network.

I've seen every stargate episode like 10 times or more, except for sgu, and that was twice each.

Edit - the only reason the earth gate could do the trip to Atlantis is because the ancients having originally started the gate network on earth hard coded earth as the gate to rule all others.

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 15, 2011

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yaos posted:

What if you took an active gate and pushed it through another active gate? Would they explode? Would they make a baby gate?

That lady got naked but O'Neil never got naked. :argh:

Everyone knows you can only have one active gate at any particular address. They even mentioned it a few times when the Russians were still doing their own gate program, specifically the episode that the Russian gate didn't close for days.

They also had an episode where they mentioned gate dialing requires the gate to be relatively fixed to keep or establish an active wormhole (aka the reason you can't gate to or from a ship in FTL, this came up in both sg1 and sgu.)

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

No the chick who replaced Frasier and is Hank Landry daughter.

Yeah shanks married andromeda (Lexa Doig) shortly after he was on andromeda as a guest.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

McSpanky posted:

If SG-1 taught us anything, it's that Daniel gets all the space babes. All of them.

Except for the ones shepard got or the like two that oniel got (though both of oniels had a large consequence of a sort)

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Daniel went to Atlantis in one episode of sg1

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

Ya but never to any planets in the Pegasus galaxy aka Shepard's playground.

Nope, but they meet. Daniel just doesn't have a shot at any Pegasus galaxy tail except on Atlantis itself, and we all know how he was all over the hologram woman that was really an ancient.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rhyno posted:

It's more of a what didn't Sheppard bang.

Waith.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

snarkcookie posted:

He had several surgeries around the time he retired, one on each foot. That'll cause some serious inactivity.

As someone who's had multiple foot surgeries (twice on each) it's a quick way to gain 60 lbs. You don't realize how much exercise you get just walking around during the day doing your daily routine until you dnt get it for an extended period and can't do anything about it. Last one was 7 months ago and I'm still working off that weight gain (though the first one was most of the weight, second just reverted all the progress I did to put myself back on track)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

If I remember correctly he was on the ship alone with her for a bit

Three times. They were also quite friendly the third meeting. You'd be a fool to not think they got at it multiple times.