Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

John Wilkes Booth posted:

X-Files also featured Don S. Davis as Scully's father, who in the first episode I ever saw of the show died of a heart attack. He died of the same thing in real life (and in the alt-reality of 2010 IIRC) :tinfoil:

He was also awesome on Twin Peaks as the father of one of the worst characters in the the entire show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

One of my favorite moments is when Shepard and Mitchel meet and Shepard told him how to keep Mckay in line, by holding a lemon. Also that drinking game is as smart as the deadwood drinking game - drinking whenever they say gently caress or cocksucker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

The secret is, Cam is his own grandfather. His grandfather in the picture is actually his grandfathers grandfather, but due to recursion errors theres an infinite number of Cam's in between the iteration you see on TV and his grandfather that he helped.

It's a lot like that futurama episode.

Also Jack is Cam's father.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Doing a rewatch and at Emancipation. Yes it is as bad as I remembered.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 15, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Dark One posted:

Anyone doing that should make it a double-header and watch The Next Generation's Code of Honor, written by the same person.

And used basically the same script. Also watching them back to back is a bad bad idea.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Let's say SG1 represents scifi as a healthy, active person. BSG is someone with issues when it comes to being overly competitive. And Star Trek is someone with learning dificulties.

Lexx is a hobo with testicular cancer.

Would farscape being an insane person?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

So with this auction it means that more Stargate movies have no chance of being made? Or is this all stuff that they can get rid of?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

You never saw the movie? A big point of the movie was that different gates had different symbols.

Ya but that was changed in the show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MrBling posted:

Abydos was also moved magically closer to earth between the movie and the SG-1 pilot so it wasn't in an entirely different galaxy.

I've been re-watching SG-1 and just started season 2. Season 1 has some clunkers but overall I liked it. Except for that clip show, but I guess every tv show needs that.

I just wish that SG-1 overall had featured more Maybourne, he was one of my favourite characters from the show.

The clip show introduces the best human villain so it has that going for it. Its also one of the few clip shows that continue the plot lines instead of just being there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Clearly, SG-1 merely had Daniel provide simultaneous translation every episode. His archeology degree comes in handy somehow. :psyduck:

How about that time when he was (seriously) dead?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Teal'c picked up the slack. Goa'uld is a nuanced language, like glourious Nihongo. Only socially awkward archeologists and big intimidating dudes can speak it correctly.

But the stargates are not in Goa'uld

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Carter should be directing research at Area 51, not leading Atlantis. Actually Daniel should have been leading Atlantis.

God just did not want Daniel to go to Atlantis.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

Yes but Carter was never useless :colbert:

Daniel was the useless one of sg1, not saying I didn't love the character, but honestly when he wasn't playing translator he was just jacks conscience. I too would have loved the Carter McKay team, but that would have broken their team formula. But then I would watch "ronin & tel'c: wreaking poo poo" daily for a decade if they ever made that because their dynamic was so good. Hell, they should have done more sg1 Atlantis cross over eps too, because Shepard, Mitchell, and McKay had such a good dynamic on that one that I was hoping for more.

Who else would die every other mission?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

It's stargate, we don't need a red shirt. If you need to kill off random people they can be introduced for that episode or season. The whole death, ascended, alive, death ascended alive thing got tired quick. It was a neat gimmick the first time, but they shouldn't have kept killing and redirecting him, as that made it mundane.

Do not forget dead - oh wait it was just a trick. Also from the movie death and get to a sarcophagus

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

I'm not bothered by the sarcophagus thing, because they quickly phased it out as dangerous, so it became a "last resort" item. The other killing his character because michal shanks is a dick parts could halve been done without. If he's that big of a dick, why not write him out of the show in a permanent fashion like they did fraiser. There was no need to resurect him after that, as he really didn't contribute too much other than "my friend died, now I'm sad, but wait he's naked in jacks office and not really dead"

There was that awesome episode when Jack is captured and he stayed as Thor.
Ronon should have given Teyla a golden crown

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 19, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ronon should have given Teyla a broken neck.

I do not know pouring molten gold on her head would be pretty good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Those like like Genii

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

The way I always interpreted the TV way of doing the PoO symbol was that there all the gates had ONE unique symbol... which was probably in the same place on the DHD on all planets so it didn't really matter.

I got it as the last symbol is the one that is point of origin. It was usually just going to and from a planet so they only needed to know the address to home. However people like Daniel knew more.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Michael Shanks is always awesome at every panel I've ever seen so I refuse to believe he was a jerk on the set.

If he was a jerk then they would have not brought him back. Even when he was having salary issues he still appeared as both Daniel and Thor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

drcru posted:

Didn't he leave because he didn't feel that Daniel was getting a big enough role?

I believe it was that and he wanted to be paid more.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

He directed Double Jeopardy and wrote Evolution and Resurrection

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

The greatest thing about McKay is his character development. He really becomes considerably more personable, and really a relatable character.

...but maybe that's just me that finds him relatable, having a much better understanding of Rodney's plight than most. :(

Also him and Sheppard becoming bros.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I know Stargate is a goofy sci fi action adventure show with lots of completely outlandish bullshit going on right from the start, so maybe this is just blind sperging; but did anyone else utterly lose their suspension of disbelief when humans from Earth started building gigantic intergalactic spaceships in secret? I mean by season 9 or 10 or whatever they had them beaming skyscrapers into space and Jaffa conducting terrorist attacks on office buildings in cloaked cargo ships and meanwhile everything is supposed to still be a secret from the public.

When they started doing stuff like that, plus having massive international involvement it just takes me right out of the story. I think what sealed it for me was that episode where Carter got sent to that alternate reality where the Stargate did go public, as if the writers wanted to say "See! We can't ever really change the status quo (except for when we want to be Star Trek) because society would collapse! :downs:"

Looking back, actually dealing with having the Stargate program (and thusly all the cool technology they collected and evidently reverse engineered) go public would have been a much more satisfying way to spend the last two seasons of the show, rather than making up the Ori and trying to make them menacing.

I read somewhere that the canceled stargate movie would be about the program going public and the poo poo storm that would occur.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

When Teal'c is O'Neill it's hilarious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zorba the Greek posted:

What? When did this happen?

Holiday

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Heh, tricked into watching a terrible episode.

Everything involving Daniel Jackson sucks but the Teal'c and O'Neill stuff is awesome. Carter does not matter in this episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I haven't watched it in like a decade but doesn't Daniel Jackson take up most of the episode?

a good portion but the time spent in SGC is awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Didn't they also build them all off planet. I mean they have the stargate.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mortanis posted:

I seem to recall the first one built at Area 51. There was the episode with the reporter getting a sneak peak and then the ship got hijacked.

I liked that they at least tried some semblance of technological progression. Hacking a Death Glider > Making their own fighter ships > Big ships but bad hyperdrives > fully functional ships.

It just didn't make sense in the time they had. It was about 4 years from start to finish it seemed like. I'd imagine some of those ships taking years to build anyway. How did they get enough manpower to construct such a massive undertaking without it being leaked to the public? You can't build a ship that size with 4 people.

They did have allies on other planets. Also I am pretty sure the big ships had Asgard help.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

They were helped significantly with the development of naquada and naquadria. It was already being used by Jonas' people so it was easy to adapt to human technology. SG-1 really had nowhere else to go, it would be boring if they still had to sneak onto gould ships to blow it up.

We also would not have gotten the Battle of Antarctica

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MisterFusion posted:

My wife's going out of town next weekend and I've decided that what I'll be doing is watching SGA streaming on netflix and drinking whiskey. I couldn't wait, so I decided to watch to first few episodes tonight doing the Teyla "my people" drinking game, and I had to stop because I wanted to pace myself haha!

I think I've decided that I like the SGA theme better than SG1.

That is as smart as playing the gently caress and cocksucker Deadwood drinking game

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also the worst character in sci-fi is Adric.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Minimaul posted:

Good to know. Think I'm about 1/3rd of the way through season 10. Shouldn't be long now...

Have you already watched the crossover episode yet? Also you can watch Ark of Truth immediately after the season 10 finale and Continuum takes place between during season 5 of Atlantis

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 6, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

If anyone got what they deserved it was the Tollan.

:smug: Heh, we're so awesome, look at all you ple... oh gently caress, a Goa'uld out smarted us using 4000 year old tactics.

You would think that they might change their tactics after they were almost destroyed and only saved due to T'ealc and the Nox. But no, they still had their heads up their asses and got destroyed for it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Polaron posted:

Atlantis has probably the largest pitched space battle in the entire Stargate franchise, and it's pretty much the show where we really get to see the technological insanity humanity is capable of (especially when it comes to creative applications of nuclear weaponry).

Also the ancients where huge assholes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

I'm really glad they stopped with the "girlfriend on every planet" thing they were doing with Daniel early on. IT was like watching those 80s movies with the "nerdy yet cute" girl.

Also it goes against his reason for being on the team - saving his wife.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yaos posted:

Are there any other SG teams that have an armed scientist? There are other teams with scientists, but when we see them they are always fat, autistic, or both. Maybe Rodney will be Capt. Picard one day, he was pretty on the ball. McKay did go from randomly firing his gun in the air to knowing how to handle himself after the first Wraith attack, maybe it was character development. :eek: He still hated exercise even though he had no problem going on long treks through the gate.

They should make a Stargate series with McKay running a space station.

Well most of the other teams have one specific purpose. There is a diplomacy team, a scientist team, and so on. However, SG-1 always got mixed up in crazy poo poo so he picked up fire arms pretty fast.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

drcru posted:

I met an Archaeologist today and he didn't know how to use a gun or speak Ancient. I'm thoroughly disappointed by today's educational system.

How about a whip?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

golgo13sf posted:

Thank you, I can never understand how people don't like that episode

Plus Johnny Cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Saveron_01 posted:

The fear of citrus kept him in line.

There is a reason that Shepard always carried it with him