Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Anything related to Thor is awesome.

Remember how awesome the Asgard were? Just wiping out Goauld pyramid ships and telling humanity is not ready yet? Then 8 seasons later "meh, we don't want to try solving our problems anymore, we'll just kill ourselves. Here's EVERY single thing we know for you, k thx bye" :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I know Stargate is a goofy sci fi action adventure show with lots of completely outlandish bullshit going on right from the start, so maybe this is just blind sperging; but did anyone else utterly lose their suspension of disbelief when humans from Earth started building gigantic intergalactic spaceships in secret?

Yeah, suddenly they just started pulling those out of nowhere. In the early seasons there was this aura of mystery, wonder and danger in the show. They didn't have any spaceships of their own or any other advanced technology and they were constantly in danger of getting invaded. They were underdogs against Goaulds with exploration being their only hope of defense by finding technology and slowly reverse-engineering it. Galaxy was full of ancient powerful civilizations like Asgard and Nox who had technology so far ahead of what humans had.

In season 1 finale when the Pyramid ship was coming it was BAD NEWS, they tried to destroy it with naquadah enhanced nuke and failed without making a dent. Goaulds were a serious overwhelming threat. They only won by gating into it winning through cunning instead of brute-force. How awesome it was then when they first introduced Asgards and they just made those Pyramid ships vanish into nothing. "An Asgard Mothership! I've heard of them described in Jaffa legend!"

And few seasons later they all have spaceships and its just giant "PEW PEW shields down to x-percent" battles against everyone. Even Asgard for some reason couldn't destroy Goauld ships with ease anymore. System lords were being defeated with left-hand and they had to come up with new enemies. Replicators were OK at first, giving some variation to normal enemies though. Ancients were mysterious before they turned them into assholes.

I still liked the series but I felt that it lost something when they suddenly got spaceships and advanced technology.

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Drizzt01 posted:

I really liked them gaining better and better tech. It would have felt like a lovely cop out if they were at the same tech level as 7 years previous and had to only rely on out smarting. Now the saving earth thing and sense of danger disappearing I can see but I think it was a natural progression.

I agree, I just think that they progressed too fast. They were experimenting with their goauld glider-based fighters early on that had problems and then like 2 seasons later they had these massive spaceships. They got too powerful so new enemies had to be introduced since goaulds werent that big of a threat anymore.

I would've liked if they had slowly made progess. One apparently dropped plotline was Carter learning to use those goauld hand devices - it would have been cool to see them slowly getting technology that was reverse engineered from what they encountered resulting in weird alien-human technology hybrids. Few technological advances per season that would show in the equipment they carry. Goauld shields, energy weapons (well they did use those stunning ones) and other equipment. Showing them gradually reaping the fruits of exploration and getting stronger until defeating Apophis and some other system lords.

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Effingham posted:

When showering, I find myself singing the Brunnen-G chant. I don't know why.

Yo ay yo
Hum va ray
Hyo ay rah
Jarum Brunnen-G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYoq6sovr8Y

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Jedit posted:

Also Lexx was much better than Arsescrape, so there. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGjB_1lzbOw