Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Forum Actuary posted:

Atlantis also had guys with german flag patches worn upside down now and then.

How can you tell if a swastika is upside down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

CaptainQuirk posted:

Remember how awesome the Asgard were? Just wiping out Goauld pyramid ships and telling humanity is not ready yet? Then 8 seasons later "meh, we don't want to try solving our problems anymore, we'll just kill ourselves. Here's EVERY single thing we know for you, k thx bye" :bang:

It's not that they decided to give up, it's that they'd managed to give themselves some hosed degenerative disease while trying to solve the cloning problem. It wasn't really mass suicide, it was more mass euthanasia. Better that than just loving off and leaving all their high-tech doomsday devices just lying around for any retarded caveman to find. loving ancients.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Palleon posted:

Which makes no sense because they have time dilation devices which were used on many occasions. They could have easily taken some scientists and had them work on solutions to the problems for thousands or millions of years in the time it would take one generation to pass, and they could keep non-degenerated clones for them to go back into when they were done. The Asgard had all the technology available to work on their problem forever but instead they just blew themselves up because they needed a premise for one episode of SG-1.

They said their one problem was time but time was literally the one thing they had a nearly infinite amount of. Plus as they showed in the finale, they could go back in time as well, so really there was no excuse other than lack of creativity.

No dude, watch the episode again. Their last attempt to fix the problem had given every single Asgard a disease which would kill them in months. All of them. Putting some scientists in a time dilation field wouldn't have helped, they would still only have a couple of months to work on the problem before they died. Once they had the disease they were already dead, just a matter of time.

I can see why you didn't like this end for the Asgard, but it's obviously what their story has been leading to since they were introduced. All four of the elder races, or at least the three we've come across, have huge flaws which act as warnings to humanity. Over-reliance on technology is the flaw of the Asgard and it's what destroyed them as a race.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Please tell me Richard Kind never appears again after his second appearance? Jesus, what a horrible character.

Sorry.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

ashpanash posted:

If/when it returns, I wouldn't expect it to follow the current canon. It will probably be a reboot with entirely new or updated canon and mythology.

Hopefully a whole new production team too.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Let's say SG1 represents scifi as a healthy, active person. BSG is someone with issues when it comes to being overly competitive. And Star Trek is someone with learning dificulties.

Lexx is a hobo with testicular cancer.

SGU is SG1's douchey little brother that acts like one of the goth kids from South Park.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There was also the thing that came up much later that each gate symbol was a syllable, so each gate address turned out to be the Ancient name for that planet. I think they dropped it as soon as it occured, though, since the written Ancient in everything else isn't gate symbols.

Unlikely to be accurate for most of the gate system anyway as the Goa'uld had been moving gates around for millennia.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mu Zeta posted:

They always waste so much food in Stargate. Whenever Daniel and the others sit down in the mess hall the alarm starts blaring and they have to rush off to oversee the unscheduled gate activity. Even in Atlantis where they have limited resources you'll see Dr. Weir sit down to eat but she'll be called away for an emergency. She'll just dump it in the trash and go running off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Can't remember where I read it, but some company bought it for quite a hefty sum and was thinking about cutting it into chunks to auction off.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

MisterFusion posted:

So Lt. Ford.... what's the point of this character? I mean, I get that the character Teyla "MY PEOPLE" is on the Pegasus version of SG-1 because she's familiar with the galaxy's inhabitants (much like Teal'c was able to give a little back story to each new place SG-1 visited). Sheppard is the military guy, McKay is the scientist.... And then there's the utterly useless Lt. Ford? Maybe I'm being too quick to judge (because I'm still so early in Season 1) but his character is so bland and pointless.

Nope, you're pretty much spot-on. The production team realise the same thing eventually, so don't get too attached to him. Unfortunately they never admit that Teyla is a loving awful character so she's there to the bitter end.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Hemish posted:

You shut your whore mouth right now! Wesley Wyndon-Pryce redeemed himself in Angel. He was annoying on Buffy but he wasn't bland like Lt. Ford. Ford was just... nothing.

He was talking about Wesley Crusher in Star Trek.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

I'd buy the stones just so I could smash them with a sledgehammer.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

bobkatt013 posted:

That was the Volcano planet that they got the first ZPM from. It was the second time Jack had the ancient knowledge in. I forgot if they said that was a special case or it was the case with all the addresses.

I assume it would only be true for planets which were originally colonised by the Ancients.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Luigi Thirty posted:

The season 1 clip show is worth it at the end for when they're like "oh yeah this is our new friend Thor, still wanna turn off the stargate?"

Supreme Commander Thor.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

IRQ posted:

It's easily the worst Stargate show, but it's still stargate, kind of.

Only in the same way that Galactica 1980 is still Battlestar Galactica. In fact, flying motorcycles and magical children would probably have made SGU better than it was.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

zVxTeflon posted:

The SG-1 episode that setup Atlantis had one actor then on the actual Atlantis series they ended up using someone else.

There's also the third actress they used for replicator-Weir.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rhyno posted:

But seriously, they found the DHD in Antarctica and it's way faster than the dialing computer, why the hell don't they use it?

It ran out of power a few weeks after they got it, they do mention it in the episode where they have to get the second DHD from the Russians.

Also, with the dialling computer they have complete control over it and know exactly what it does, whereas a DHD has shitloads of automated functions which they don't understand at all.

Saying that, I don't know why they never stole loads of DHDs from uninhabited planets so they could take them to Area51 and study the poo poo out of them.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Dyatlov Bass posted:

Also, all DHDs were limited in their potential dialing coordinates due to having only 38 of the 39 symbols on the Stargate, which was anither reason why they used the DHD it took them "fifteen years and three supercomputers to MacGyver together".

What? No. They built their own dialling computer because they didn't have a DHD. The one that belonged with the original Giza gate wasn't found during the original dig where the gate was uncovered, it was found later by the Nazis and then captured by the Russians during WWII.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Dyatlov Bass posted:

I said "another reason", not "the driving force behind its creation". Chill the gently caress out.

I'm not un-chill. You're just very wrong on the internet about Stargate, so I had to correct you :)

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Luigi Thirty posted:

How are you going to get home from a planet if you just unhooked its DHD? They didn't get their own hyperdrive ships until close to the end of the series and by that point it didn't really matter.

Naquada generator and manual dial, they start doing that around season 3.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

golgo13sf posted:

I don't fault anyone for giving up after season 1, but season 2 was loving solid.

If by "loving solid" you mean mediocre instead of loving awful, then you're correct.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Everyone romances Teal'c.

Don't go there, dude. Seriously. However bad Mass Effect fanfic can be, at least none of those characters have a marsupial-like pouch, with or without an alien snake in it. There's SG-1 fanfic out there that makes Talimancers look sane. Some people are really sick and shouldn't be let near a keyboard.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

It's 'Critical Mass' in Season 2, not The Siege.

I found that out the hard way a couple of days ago. I knew there was a reason I usually skipped that episode but couldn't remember what it was. Then the singing started.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pwnstar posted:

I like McKay, and he and Sheppard playing Space Civilisation was fun. The war basically starting over Rodney's people thinking lemons were poison was a good moment.

I'm watching that one now and only just realised that the uniforms Sheppard's guys are wearing is a leather and chain version of Sheppard's uniform.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mortanis posted:

Apparently the Ancients just never figured on wormholes and sunspots, though, in all that self-correcting stuff. Or that time they went through a sun and nearly destroyed it - or was that a result of using the MacGuyver'd DHD?

That's all down to the dialling computer. The only time it happens in Atlantis is down to Rodney loving with the DHD programming.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rhyno posted:

I'm all for privatizing space exploration if it keeps the military out of it.

Yeah, because it's not like there's a huge relationship between the military and corporate enterprise.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

truth masseuse posted:

So, Teyla is probably the best character in all of Stargate.

The only thing which could have made SGU any more perfect than it already was would have been the inclusion of a Teyla singing montage in every episode.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Aatrek posted:

I loved that Ronon/Teal'c teamup episode on the space station when Teal'c got all hot and bothered about Ronon's blaster :v:

"I would very much like a weapon such as this, Ronan Dex".

"Get in line".

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Burning_Monk posted:

"It's an ice planet" - Sam Carter, North Pole.

South Pole.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Emerson Cod posted:

So has anyone heard any of the Big Finish audios for SG-1 or Atlantis and can tell me if they're any good? The Doctor Who ones seem to be mostly decent, but I'm not sure how Stargate translates to the format.

I made the mistake of buying the first one: it's essentially Michael Shanks reading bad fan-fiction.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, the more recent ones are full dramas, not the enhanced audiobook format the first lot used.

Really? I'll have to check those out then.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Operation "This will most likely end badly" is a go.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

twoot posted:

Its interesting watching season 6 and 7 back to back because the shift away from SG-1 team action and the scaling down of RDA's role is really obvious. There really aren't many scenes of the team together in season 7, mostly either 3+no RDA or split 2+2 in separate locations. The scenes which Jack are in are nearly all providing comic relief or plot-required Jack-isms to push the episode on. There is also a distinct lack of exploring new worlds.

RDA had hosed his back or something so was confined to the studio. Most of his scenes were also filmed separately from the rest of the cast all in one go with stand-ins for the other characters, that's why there's always a lot of awkward shot-reverse-shot going on.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Ford was dull, until they hosed him up on space meth and he became insufferable, but at least he didn't talk about "his people" all the time and he never sang.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

PriorMarcus posted:

The actor actually wrote this episode himself and it is loving awful.

Jonas however was really cool, its a shame his planet got destroyed off-screen and he was never mentioned again.

His planet didn't get destroyed, it was still around in SGU.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

And that is why you should always buy the Dell extended warranty.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

He has lots of great scenes in lots of episodes, like 48 Hours where he tells Carter that the only way he can refuse the order to restart the gate is to resign but then they'd have someone else there in an hour to carry out the order, would an hour be long enough? Any other character that offer would come across as sarcasm, be he genuinely means it. If she'd said yes, he really would have handed in his resignation then and there, and that's what makes him awesome.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Met posted:

I was watching Inferno the other night. Why do they need to make four 12 hour trips to get the refugees to Atlantis? Couldn't they have just dropped off refugees on a much closer habitable world to make sure they got everyone off before the supervolcano erupted? :spergin:

Guess they needed the drama and an excuse to get the Orion ship.

Exactly. Surely there was a closer planet with a gate? poo poo, they could have just borrowed a gate from somewhere and done it all in one trip.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The DHD they found with the Antarctica gate was hosed and almost out of power, which would explain why it didn't override the SGC as it should have done and also why Sam wasn't able to dial out to any other gates.

(I love sperging about Stargate.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

WarLocke posted:

It wasn't the Tok'ra that get wiped out, it was that one advanced human civilization they ran into that showed up in 1-2 episodes. No real 'gimmick', they weren't hiding or anything, they just had insane planetary defenses and told the Go'auld to gently caress off every time they came by. Later on in the series they just get namedropped with a 'oh yeah the go'auld figured out how to get past their defenses and carpet bombed the planet' or something.

If you're talking about the Tollan, there's an episode where Anubis blows the gently caress out of them.