Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Elentor posted:

A lot more time than I wish it did. I ended up rewriting it quite a few times because I wanted it to read fine both by itself and with the text being shown on screen. But judging from the sharp drop in the thread rating it seems people don't like poems haha.

I can't speak for anyone who downrated the thread as I do admire the effort you put into that update, but it kinda feels like there should have been some real commentary in there somewhere, because there's some weird stuff going on in this section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adus posted:

I can't speak for anyone who downrated the thread as I do admire the effort you put into that update, but it kinda feels like there should have been some real commentary in there somewhere, because there's some weird stuff going on in this section.

Don't worry about that, I plan to talk in-depth about it in the next chapter, where nothing plot-relevant happens for a while (it's a dungeon). I think it's less overwhelming this way.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

kw0134 posted:

And it plays well into a later reveal because Shinra is not at all hesitant about getting its hands dirty and letting the world know about it. Dropping an urban plate into the slums, the total economic and environmental ruin of several towns, outright massacres of townspeople, Shinra's not one to shy away from bad publicity.

If you recall the president's dialogue during the Midgar section, Shinra OWNS the media; they don't have any bad publicity. The news reported at AVALANCHE dropped the sector 7 plate and trusty, merciful Shinra headed the recovery operation. Shinra didn't build a faulty reactor near Corel, they were sabotaged and forced to eliminate a terrorist threat in the city.

As for Nibelheim, according to the notes in Tifa's room Hojo is involved. I would not be in the least surprised if there is an entire department dedicated to covering up everything Hojo does.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

quote:

I'm pretty sure guides (at least here) didn't mention it and FF7 has very limited interaction with background objects. There's not any real reason to poke around that very specific part of Tifa's house.

Yeah, I never saw it mentioned in any guide, and by this point in the game you're pretty well trained to think that the only things you can interact with are shiny things and posters/tv. Plus the desk looks like it just has a blank sheet of paper on it, so there's nothing really to draw you into interacting with it. It's a shame, too, because I always thought it was a bit of a plot hole that they never actually explained why the hell Nibelhelm was perfectly fine.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

StrangeAeon posted:

As for Nibelheim, according to the notes in Tifa's room Hojo is involved. I would not be in the least surprised if there is an entire department dedicated to covering up everything Hojo does.

There is a whole town that Shinra covers up in Crisis Core. The whole game is one long string of things Shinra has to cover up.

Considering they don't want the world to know about Genesis I can't see Shinra as evil, really.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There is a whole town that Shinra covers up in Crisis Core. The whole game is one long string of things Shinra has to cover up.

Considering they don't want the world to know about Genesis I can't see Shinra as evil, really.

Shinra has just been trying to protect us from the extended universe all this time.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

George posted:

Shinra has just been trying to protect us from the extended universe all this time.

It's managed to protect us from Before Crisis, at least, but not Dirge of Cerberus in all its idiotic glory.

For those who don't want to be spoiled, don't look up Dirge of Cerberus. For those who do like Final Fantasy VII, don't look up Dirge of Cerberus...unless it's the Dark Id's LP of it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried to play Dirge of Cerberus once. Didn't get past the first level because I was bored to death.

Even Duke Nukem Forever got me further (3 levels before I gave up).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's managed to protect us from Before Crisis, at least, but not Dirge of Cerberus in all its idiotic glory.

For those who don't want to be spoiled, don't look up Dirge of Cerberus. For those who do like Final Fantasy VII, don't look up Dirge of Cerberus...unless it's the Dark Id's LP of it.

I cannot get over the horrible designs of DoC.
You have a series of characters who are themed after colors and basically have names that are thesaurus disguises for Red the Red, Blue the Blue, Transparent the Transparent.

You have a guy in a straightjacket and jockstrap on his face with guns on flimsy robot arms.
You have a lady that's supposed to be a scientist who always has one arm out of her lab jacket, one eye always closed, and a multicolored dress with a huge hole in her skirt.
and you have a little girl (19 year old trapped in a 9 year old body) armed with not-lightsabers and a skintight outfit acting as a love interest for vincent.

It's like Nomura knew the game was going to be poo poo and was trying to make the stupidest costumes possible to see if they'd really put them in.

The LP is hilarious as all Dark Id's lp's are but it's the only way I'd ever want to experience the game.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I fuckin' loved Dirge of Cerberus. Sometimes you just want to go through hallways shooting stuff. Don't even care.

Even I thought most of the cutscenes were godawful, though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

magikid posted:

I fuckin' loved Dirge of Cerberus. Sometimes you just want to go through hallways shooting stuff. Don't even care.

Even I thought most of the cutscenes were godawful, though.

I found the gameplay was depressingly mediocre and stupidly easy, aside from the bullshit enemies who couldn't be hurt by bullets, which is always a smart idea for a loving third person shooter!

That story was just awful though. And didn't need to be told, like most of the Compilation. It's even more egregious considering that we get the gist of that particular character's situation in this game. Least the voice acting was hilarious.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Yeah, the story was pretty bad and not really something that needed to be an FFVII property, but I did enjoy the gun customization system.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

DoC's only good parts were the gun customization and (in my opinion) the Deepground soldiers concept. Everything else was awful and bad.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

I absolutely agree with what Pesky Splinter said, and it bugged the hell out of me that (allegdly) a lot of people really thought that Vincent's back-story was vague, even when it was told in FFVII without words effectively enough. I once willingly misinterpreted the charades used in that scene and got a few cheap laughs out of myself.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 29, 2011

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I thought Vincent's background was pretty well-explained in FF7, and I really felt DoC was largely unnecessary. How much deeper did they need to go?(There was stuff here, but not anymore.) Seems pretty cut and dry to me. But, you know, cash cow and all that.

VVV Fine, whatever.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 30, 2011

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Left Ventricle posted:

What seriously why.

You put it in tags and all, but there's seriously no reason to post this short of "man I love talking about Vincent soooooo much that I can't wait for the LP to get there!"

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Really I kinda use Dirge as a way to really judge how insane an FFVII fan a friend of mine is. For example, I know someone at my school who asked me to let her borrow it and since I didn't want that poo poo in my house anymore I lent it to her. I asked her how she liked it and she said it was the greatest thing she ever played. I asked her why and she simply said because Vincent is "So hot and badass!" I promptly slammed my head on a concrete wall after this.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Honestly, I'd say her reason for liking the game is the most acceptable. Finding Vincent attractive is much less offensive than "I really loved the story." He is voiced by Steven Blum after all.
Going back to the Gackt and Malice Mizer talk from way, way earlier, I thimk DoC had good music. Of course the only tracks I know are the two Gackt provided but it's still the best thing about the game for me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Dirge of Cerberus is the Shadow the Hedgehog of the Final Fantasy series. Since Square Enix will never admit that it's a piece of poo poo, it will remain squatting at the end of the timeline, never to be touched again.

I'd like to see how Deepground is shoehorned into a Final Fantasy VII remake, what with DoCs massive retcons.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

That loving Sned posted:

Dirge of Cerberus is the Shadow the Hedgehog of the Final Fantasy series. Since Square Enix will never admit that it's a piece of poo poo, it will remain squatting at the end of the timeline, never to be touched again.

I'd like to see how Deepground is shoehorned into a Final Fantasy VII remake, what with DoCs massive retcons.

You know what? I'd like to see a Final Fantasy VII remake that adds in everything from all the extended universe. Just, all of it. Every last retarded bit, shoved and forced into the original game and made to make sense.

Hell, it's not like the game at base didn't have a lot of side poo poo to find and uncover anyway.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You know what? I'd like to see a Final Fantasy VII remake that adds in everything from all the extended universe. Just, all of it. Every last retarded bit, shoved and forced into the original game and made to make sense.

Hell, it's not like the game at base didn't have a lot of side poo poo to find and uncover anyway.

But, you see, a good setting is one that leaves things unexplored, unexplained--lingering mysteries make more memorable a setting. Star Wars was a lot more interesting when we didn't know what a "Kessel run" was or what Ord Mantell was, but the EU covered that (and covered it well) and now it's a little less interesting. Your imagination is always your best asset, both as a reader and for a writer, because it will do a better job of illuminating a story than anything else.

Good settings need mysteries. FFVII doesn't explain everything (though it is pretty thorough if you bother to look for answers) and it leaves a lot of things unsaid, and it was a stronger setting for it. With the EU though, they, like Star Wars, felt they had to fill in these blanks, and the world is a lot less stronger, stranger and interesting because we now have answers for the questions that didn't need them, and our imaginations are now tainted with a disappointing reality.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

The part of me that wants to see that is the same part that likes looking at pictures of plane crashes and horrifying medical conditions.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Insertibg Genesis into the Nibelheim flashback was the single greatest sin of Crisis Core. I don't want that garbage anywhere near an FF7 remake.
Then again, if CC is any indication, Square has completely forgot one of the things that made that part so memorable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rV40ypje7o

As for retcons, much of the game would be spared. Square couldn't care less about non-Sephiroth related stuff so the backstories and sidequests of everyone apart from Cloud and Vincent have been left alone.

Really, the events of the game are unchanged. It's just some key flashbacks that will suffer. The EU has been nice enough to be so unnecessary that you can forget it exists and still appreciate everything in the original game.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 1, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

NikkolasKing posted:

The EU has been nice enough to be so unnecessary that you can forget it exists and still appreciate everything in the original game.

Because nearly everything in the EU is Shinra's top execs playing with genes and mako and covering every bit of it up when it doesn't produce usable Sephiroths and covering it up when guys fall into existential crises.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tune down EU talk and use spoiler tags. Yes, I get you guys hate EU and so do I, but you guys are dangerously close to spoiling the real game with EU plot points and that's still against the thread's rules.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NikkolasKing posted:

Then again, if CC is any indication, Square has completely forgot one of the things that made that part so memorable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rV40ypje7o

I have to agree with this right here. While FF7's writing is actually more engaging than I thought it was in 1997, it's only half the equation. Aside from some obvious flubs (GOD drat I HATE THE GOLD SAUCER'S THEME SO MUCH) I'd have to rank FF7 up there as one of my favorite Squaresoft soundtracks right along side FFT and Chrono Cross.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because nearly everything in the EU is Shinra's top execs playing with genes and mako and covering every bit of it up when it doesn't produce usable Sephiroths and covering it up when guys fall into existential crises.

Palmer didn't play with genes. He was too busy with lard.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

RentCavalier posted:

But, you see, a good setting is one that leaves things unexplored, unexplained--lingering mysteries make more memorable a setting. Star Wars was a lot more interesting when we didn't know what a "Kessel run" was or what Ord Mantell was, but the EU covered that (and covered it well) and now it's a little less interesting. Your imagination is always your best asset, both as a reader and for a writer, because it will do a better job of illuminating a story than anything else.

Well, let's use a good example of it being done badly instead then: Battlestar Galactica. For the first couple of seasons the intro always ended with the spiel about how the Cylons had "a plan". Eventually it became evident that the writers didn't actually have a plan for the plan at all, but then after the show ended they made a mini-movie about The Plan, full of retcons and re-used footage. And it was so bad that even though I've watched it, I can't even tell you what they tried to pretend the plan was, if there was one.

I love the idea ofthe big mythoses adding in extra stuff and explaining the big legends of their universes... but it's so rare for it to be done well, that I'd rather they didn't do it, for the most part. At least the Star Wars one you refer to were covered in a good way (Taking your word for it, which I probably shouldn't, given you're a FF12 fanboy ;) ), but when it's done with FF&... blech.

Obnoxious Brit
Feb 16, 2008

Absolutely unbearable

Cangelosi posted:

Palmer didn't play with genes. He was too busy with lard.

I thought he was too busy playing with space and trying to get more money for space.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Obnoxious Brit posted:

I thought he was too busy playing with space and trying to get more money for space.

The reason they never managed to get into space is because the only astronaut food he could come up with was tubes of lard and astronauts kept dying from massive coronaries.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Squalitude posted:

I love the idea ofthe big mythoses adding in extra stuff and explaining the big legends of their universes... but it's so rare for it to be done well, that I'd rather they didn't do it, for the most part. At least the Star Wars one you refer to were covered in a good way (Taking your word for it, which I probably shouldn't, given you're a FF12 fanboy ;) ), but when it's done with FF&... blech.
Well there's a secret to making this work that most real writers already know. That is, you know exactly what "the plan" or background fluff is, but you never mention it because there's no reason to/it might compromise the story in one way. Just because a detail is left out does not mean that the detail isn't worked out by the writer, and not having the detail in the work itself is no excuse for not having the answer worked out.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Twiddy posted:

Well there's a secret to making this work that most real writers already know. That is, you know exactly what "the plan" or background fluff is, but you never mention it because there's no reason to/it might compromise the story in one way. Just because a detail is left out does not mean that the detail isn't worked out by the writer, and not having the detail in the work itself is no excuse for not having the answer worked out.

You'd think this was how it always went down, and it leads a lot of people who want to write to just "worldbuild" forever, but the truth is that a lot of good writers are good at writing their characters and just realizing when a callback to something they used works really well. But that probably can't happen as well in something decided by executives like Final Fantasy.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Obnoxious Brit posted:

Nope. Totally lard. The space program has to be a front. I mean, you think Shinra has time between hostile takeovers and sucking the planet dry to send things into space?

I imagine Palmer was a good friend of the family and was given this cushy job in exchange for his loyalty.

Cangelosi fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 3, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Don't quite know what possessed me to do this, but I've got to get it out my system all the same.

I tried doing it in the style of Vincent Price, expect I couldn't sound any less like Price than...than...something that doesn't sound like Vincent Price V:shobon:V

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Cangelosi posted:

I imagine Palmer was a good friend of the family and was given this cushy job in exchange for his loyalty.
I'm suddenly imagining an Occupy Midgar movement.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hongkongaton posted:

I'm suddenly imagining an Occupy Midgar movement.
AVALANCHE: We are the 99% and we have 99% of the explosives

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

TARDISman posted:

AVALANCHE: We are the 99% and we have 99% of the explosives

Hardly :colbert:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ok, how about 99% of the grenades?

Schwartzcough