Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Next update will be up in the next couple days. I hope you guys like my voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Elentor posted:

With the recent updates being extremely creative, I really can't wait for this one.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Hold your nose the entire time you speak.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trivia posted:

Hold your nose the entire time you speak.

Doesn't change my voice as much as you'd hope.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Personally I am hoping for a bang up Cid impression narrating the update.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Elentor posted:

You mean that muthafuckin' smooth as gently caress deep voice you had in the Aps fight video way way back, the one that makes you sound like a dragon?

That voice which makes angels tremble in their robes from the very heavens themselves, that voice? :allears:

Seriously I really liked hearing your voice, it sounds really drat cool so I can't wait for this update now!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FinalGamer posted:

You mean that muthafuckin' smooth as gently caress deep voice you had in the Aps fight video way way back, the one that makes you sound like a dragon?

That voice which makes angels tremble in their robes from the very heavens themselves, that voice? :allears:

Seriously I really liked hearing your voice, it sounds really drat cool so I can't wait for this update now!

Yeah, pretty much this.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I don't remember a voiced video. ...huh.
Might someone link me it please? I went to the Aps update but I found nothing.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I don't remember a voiced video. ...huh.
Might someone link me it please? I went to the Aps update but I found nothing.

The Aps update for anyone who can't find it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3415223&pagenumber=23#post392494424

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did you at least try to isolate his posts?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I think what the poster meant was that the videos in the aps post didn't have any speech.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

hectorgrey posted:

I think what the poster meant was that the videos in the aps post didn't have any speech.

I think it was the sewer boss.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You guys are thinking of a video of the first Reno fight.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

Speaking of dragons, I would watch the gently caress out of a co-op vlp between Elentor and TWD.

Their voices are so smooth and manly and magical. :allears:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think he said that the upcoming Drakengard one will be his last LP (at least assuming he doesn't do weird little short ones or whatever). And for something as long as SO3 (hell, most JRPGs), it's a lot of work.

He has to finish his long-dormant FFX one first!

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
The Dragon-voice Elentor video is right here. :smaug:

I am down for once again hearing the voice of a wyrm tell me how to murder more FF bosses and whatnot.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Mr. Soop posted:

I am down for once again hearing the voice of a wyrm tell me how to murder more FF bosses and whatnot.
Huh, I totally remember it was Aps somehow but yeah none of the vids are of him speaking, how odd.
But yes, seriously, that loving voice is smooth gold.

Also thanks to Scalding Coffee cuz he managed to find the vid I was talking about! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29cDSMpfotk

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 22, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Mr. Soop posted:

Oh my god, its like a thousand little velvet-gloved hands are massaging my eardrums.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mr Confetti posted:

Speaking of dragons, I would watch the gently caress out of a co-op vlp between Elentor and TWD.

Their voices are so smooth and manly and magical. :allears:

I've never actually heard The White Dragon's voice. In fact, I understand that he's done an FFIX LP here, but since I never quite got round to completing the game, I'm not going to go through it yet. But I do recognise the name; something's saying I know him either through a Grey Hunter LP, B-17 Queen of the Skies (the LP not the TG thread), Moments: A Game of Consequence, or (and this is what I think most likely) Let's Read Speeding Up. It could be more than one of the above.

What I'm really saying is, do you have a link?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FinalGamer posted:

Also thanks to Scalding Coffee cuz he managed to find the vid I was talking about!
Is my link from my last post underlined? No one caught it.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

simplefish posted:

I've never actually heard The White Dragon's voice. In fact, I understand that he's done an FFIX LP here, but since I never quite got round to completing the game, I'm not going to go through it yet. But I do recognise the name; something's saying I know him either through a Grey Hunter LP, B-17 Queen of the Skies (the LP not the TG thread), Moments: A Game of Consequence, or (and this is what I think most likely) Let's Read Speeding Up. It could be more than one of the above.

What I'm really saying is, do you have a link?

Found it for you. It was a bonus update from his FFIX LP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BunDBcVvd94

vv Nope. It's Starcraft gameplay.

Mr Confetti fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 22, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Mr Confetti posted:

Found it for you. It was a bonus update from his FFIX LP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BunDBcVvd94

Any spoilers? Past disc 1 is spoilers for me.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

simplefish posted:

Any spoilers? Past disc 1 is spoilers for me.

It's StarCraft 2 so no spoilers, you're good

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Thanks

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is my link from my last post underlined? No one caught it.
Nah I just kinda missed it because it's like one question mark underlined and I didn't get what you meant by isolating the posts.

Also because the video you found is actually unlisted so I wouldn't have found it anyway unless I went back through the LP pages an-ohhhhhhhh now I get what you mean by isolating posts, okay I'm dumb sorry. Thanks again!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thanks for helping me build my list of RPGs with futuristic/high tech cities.

whitehelm posted:

I don't think anyone's mentioned Chronopolis in Chrono Cross yet.

Cool. I never got very far in Chrono Cross, but now that you mention it I remember looking at a strategy guide at a bookstore long ago and seeing that there was a futuristic area near the end of the game. But it's just a few screens, right? And maybe a dungeon? It didn't look like there was much to explore.

Re: Xenosaga

Serifina posted:

They do! Both present-day and flashback cities.

Yeah isn't there a location in the first game where everything is like a 20th century American city? That seems wildly out of place considering the overall setting of the game. I didn't actually play to that point though. Man, that game baited you with just enough of Xenogears' style to make it intriguing while being simultaneously bereft of any of the magic that made XG so good. At least for me.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Final Fantasy Legend 1, 2 and 3 all do, although those are black and white handheld games, so it might not be what you had in mind.

Hell yeah, I forgot all about these! I think there were actually DS remakes for them, or at least the first two. Too bad they never came out in the US..

waah posted:

gently caress Star Ocean 3.

Yeah.

There's something about the way that JRPGs in particular create such compelling worlds. Even if the characters generally tend to seem a little weird due to cultural differences, in a way that just serves to make the games feel more 'fantastic'.

Western RPG settings seem to tend more toward the medieval fantasy setting, and if they do go for sci-fi it tends to be more dark and gritty. To me one of the things that makes FFVII so great is the way it presents its own dark & gritty high-tech world, because even though it's dystopian, the cities themselves are filled with so much visually beautiful scenery. It also communicated a compelling sense of scale, especially considering the hardware it was made for.

It's too bad, because I can't say that I've come across a game, since FFVII, that's had such a unique and well-developed world outside of a fantasy/magical setting. Xenogears probably came the closest, but it definitely wasn't as fleshed-out. Lost Odyssey might have come close, but back in the day my Xbox 360 died before I was halfway done with it, so I can't really know. I hope that something will come out in the future that surpasses FFVII in the setting department, some day. Even though I sadly never seem to find time for video games anymore, maybe someone will LP it.

Oh, and speaking of games like FFVII: what about Panzer Dragoon Saga? Were there any futuristic or high-tech cities in that game? It seemed like the people had a fairly advanced material culture, but the only town location I've seen in screenshots looks like a tiny desert village.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Panzer Dragoon's setting is weird like that. There was an insanely advanced civilization ages ago that wiped itself out and people are just beginning to figure out how to use some of the stuff they left behind. And since they were big on sentient bio-mechanical stuff many of their facilities are still hard at work doing stuff the outside world doesn't have a clue about.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 24, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Thanks for helping me build my list of RPGs with futuristic/high tech cities.

Cool. I never got very far in Chrono Cross, but now that you mention it I remember looking at a strategy guide at a bookstore long ago and seeing that there was a futuristic area near the end of the game. But it's just a few screens, right? And maybe a dungeon? It didn't look like there was much to explore.

I guess the "future" in CC is basically a long "dungeon," (certainly more than a few screens) but there's a lot of plot and poo poo crammed in there. On the other hand, the place is ruined and not really a "living city" to explore.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It's more than that, really. Chronopolis and the Terra Tower are both high tech, as are various other parts of Chrono Cross, but overall the game is not close to not sci-fi. But if you've played Chrono Trigger you owe it to yourself to play Chrono Cross.

Also, that game has the best soundtrack of any game in the history of games having soundtracks.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
Speaking of awesome games with awesome soundtracks that are also futuristic, Transistor is one of those, and has a lot of RPG elements, so you might be interested in that.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Chrono Cross has to be top five video game soundtracks of all time absolutely. The chrono series has always been about making a bleak future better, so yeah all their advanced cities are always ruins with few survivors. I don't know if anyone ever mentioned any of the Shadowrun games, and it seems almost too obvious so I am gonna assume someone did.

You could also mention the Mega man RPG that came out roughly 2003/2004.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
A goon in the work crew thread went to a chrono cross themed wedding this past weekend.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581054&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2056#post432585348

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

Well. Is Grandma dressed as Sprigg?

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I think it's supposed to be Razzly.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Grizlor posted:

I think it's supposed to be Razzly.

She is.

A N I M E G R A N D M O M

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Booties posted:

A goon in the work crew thread went to a chrono cross themed wedding this past weekend.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581054&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2056#post432585348

Well that is definitely something I never expected to see in this universe.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Booties posted:

:stonklol:

Booties posted:

A N I M E G R A N D M O M

Well I guess I have my next forums username now.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Bregor posted:

:stonklol:

Well I guess I have my next forums username now.

lol someone in that thread said the same thing. It would be a really good avatar/username combo too.

Just realized elentor said a couple days on the next update 6 days ago. Hope he's still ok :ohdear:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, sorry for the delay. I'll post as soon as I can. Chapter is mostly finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Never apologize. You did amazing work that proves it's worth waiting on. Do you son, we can wait.

• Locked thread