Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Veib posted:

The Warriors of Light WEED, LORD, BONR, and HTLR.

The fifth warrior of light... Adolf Hitler!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The White Dragon posted:

The fifth warrior of light... Adolf Hitler!

The only person strong enough to defeat Captain PlanetChaos.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Concordat posted:

I have to wonder how many people named Zack decided to name the protagonist of this game after themselves only to be immensely confused later on.

I named Cait Sith -> Zack my first time through the game, so that was good fun

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Captain Foo posted:

I named Cait Sith -> Zack my first time through the game, so that was good fun
The next time I succumb to the urge to replay FF7, I'm renaming Cloud to York.

"Did you hear that, Zack? Cid Highwind. C.H., in the tea!"
"You took the tea *after* I introduced myself, you weird fucker..."

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Naming Cloud to Zack resulted in some fun times during certain scenes.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rigged Death Trap posted:

How does the name of an 8 legged horse of myth become slang for dick?
Please don't say 'because of horse dicks'.
:allears:

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Concordat posted:

I have to wonder how many people named Zack decided to name the protagonist of this game after themselves only to be immensely confused later on.

I first played this on PC, so I went through a registry page after installation. Since I had recently played Earthbound, I assumed that FF7 used my first name for this random character that only appeared in the past since my name was Zack.
Watching the LP for Deadly Premonition also freaked me out at first, since Francis usually addresses the camera when talking to Zack.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Watching the LP for Deadly Premonition also freaked me out at first, since Francis usually addresses the camera when talking to Zack.

Mr. Francis York Morgan. :colbert:

But yeah, I could see how Deadly Premonition would easily weird out someone who's actually named Zack/Zach.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

How does the name of an 8 legged horse of myth become slang for dick?
Please don't say 'because of horse dicks'.

Look if you don't get what I mean by "my eight legged horse" what are you even doing on SomethingAwful

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

JAAAA SCHLAMPE, REIT MEINEN SLEIPNIR, REIT IHN HART!

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

That's beautiful. :golfclap:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Simply Simon posted:

For anyone who doesn't speak, whichever Teutonic language this is, Googling this brings up Harry Potter (erotic?) fanfiction, so, have fun with that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CzarChasm posted:

For anyone who doesn't speak, whichever Teutonic language this is, Googling this brings up Harry Potter (erotic?) fanfiction, so, have fun with that.

German. Considering it parses to, roughly, "yeah bitch, ride my Sleipnir, ride him hard"...

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

German. Considering it parses to, roughly, "yeah bitch, ride my Sleipnir, ride him hard"...

Three years of German and I regret it not a whit precisely because of moments like this.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

CzarChasm posted:

Please tell me its not "My Immortal", aka the worst fanfiction ever.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silegna posted:

Please tell me its not "My Immortal", aka the worst fanfiction ever.

We went on the bed and started making out naked and then he put his Sleipnir in mine and we HAD SEX. (c is dat stupid?)

All of a sudden I saw a tattoo I had never seen before on Cloud's arm. It was a black heart with an arrow through it. On it in bloody gothic writing were the words… Sephiroth!

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We went on the bed and started making out naked and then he put his Sleipnir in mine and we HAD SEX. (c is dat stupid?)

All of a sudden I saw a tattoo I had never seen before on Cloud's arm. It was a black heart with an arrow through it. On it in bloody gothic writing were the words… Sephiroth!

Dang it Orange Fluffy Sheep. That's actually more grammatically correct and spelled correctly compared to the writing of the actual fanfiction.

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

All of a sudden, we heard a voice: "WHAT ARE YOU MOTHERFUCKERS DOING?!" It was Bugenhagen!

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

HHammond posted:

All of a sudden, we heard a voice: "WHAT ARE YOU MOTHERFUCKERS DOING?!" It was Bugenhagen!

OH MY GAWD JR IT WAS BUGENHAGEN THE WHOLE TIME

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Benson Cunningham posted:

OH MY GAWD JR IT WAS BUGENHAGEN THE WHOLE TIME

Obligatory youtube clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

According to this Eurogamer article, that translation doesn't sound too bad. Looks like all the stupid sperg stuff can be turned off, except for Aerith which, let's admit it, would be in an official Square Enix retranslation anyway.

Other than that it looks pretty good. Apparently Cait Sith was supposed to have a Scottish accent the whole time?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

except for Aerith which, let's admit it, would be in an official Square Enix retranslation anyway.

Wouldn't renaming her still be possible anyway?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Apparently Cait Sith was supposed to have a Scottish accent the whole time?

sort of. If i remember correctly Cait Sith has a weird accent in the japanese version, and Reeve has the same one, so it was supposed to be a clue to his identity. the english translation completely overlooked this and i don't think it was until advent children or Dirge of cerberus or something when they decided to translate that into a scottish accent.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Fakename posted:

According to this Eurogamer article, that translation doesn't sound too bad. Looks like all the stupid sperg stuff can be turned off, except for Aerith which, let's admit it, would be in an official Square Enix retranslation anyway.

Other than that it looks pretty good. Apparently Cait Sith was supposed to have a Scottish accent the whole time?

In a way it reminds me of about every Star Wars OT cleanup I've seen. They start with the intention of offering a simple HD remastered version of the classic movies and in every single one of them there's something new that the author added, they generate some controversy, people get too worked up over pretty much nothing, etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Whybird posted:

As Leovinius demonstrated in his (now-deleted) LP, choosing Rinoa's dog's name in FFVIII carefully means that her special attacks get named Vaginal Cannon, Vaginal Rush, and Vaginal Strike.

R.I.P fantastic LP. You were better than your owner gave you credit for.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Cait Sith (pronounced Ket Shee, supposedly) are a scottish legend, so I guess that makes sense.

"Five years ago, 20-something Mancunian Daniel Burke set out to retranslate Final Fantasy 7.

Now aged 31, Burke, who goes by the name "DLPB" online, has finished his work."

The 20-something phrasing leading into his precise age is really jarring writing.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 5, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Aurain posted:

"Five years ago, 20-something Mancunian Daniel Burke set out to retranslate Final Fantasy 7.

Now aged 31, Burke, who goes by the name "DLPB" online, has finished his work."

The 20-something phrasing leading into his precise age is really jarring writing.

Yeah it's making me think it took him 11 years to finish it :psyduck:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What's the story regarding the Bolt 3 example in the Japanese version? Was it Thundaga back then or is that a change he's taken liberty with? I've always thought that the -aga system for magic naming come along at a later point in time, but I don't know.

Having now seen the Scottish accent in action, I can comprehensively say I despise it. It's something that would work in a voice acted game, but just, ew.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Aurain posted:

What's the story regarding the Bolt 3 example in the Japanese version? Was it Thundaga back then or is that a change he's taken liberty with? I've always thought that the -aga system for magic naming come along at a later point in time, but I don't know.

Having now seen the Scottish accent in action, I can comprehensively say I despise it. It's something that would work in a voice acted game, but just, ew.

Looks like it was Sanda, Sanra, Sanga in FF1 and Sanda, Sandara, Sandaga starting with FF3.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I see, I see. Thanks!

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Attitude Indicator posted:

sort of. If i remember correctly Cait Sith has a weird accent in the japanese version, and Reeve has the same one, so it was supposed to be a clue to his identity. the english translation completely overlooked this and i don't think it was until advent children or Dirge of cerberus or something when they decided to translate that into a scottish accent.

Weird? It's a Kansai dialect in the Japanese version which is the most common dialect in Japan.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Cait sith as an enemy has appeared in earlier games, but there's sometimes translation shenanigans for the name.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

FillInTheBlank posted:

Weird? It's a Kansai dialect in the Japanese version which is the most common dialect in Japan.

Really? Maybe there was some other oddity with his speach that I'm thinking of.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Really? Maybe there was some other oddity with his speach that I'm thinking of.

I think your thinking of the pronunciation for his name when you mention Scottish accents. It looks like Cait would ryhme with Skate and Sith would be like the opposite of the jedi, but it's a Gaelic name that's pronounced Cet Shee or something.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I think your thinking of the pronunciation for his name when you mention Scottish accents. It looks like Cait would ryhme with Skate and Sith would be like the opposite of the jedi, but it's a Gaelic name that's pronounced Cet Shee or something.

I'm going off half-remembered details, but I believe the Sith part comes from the same root as the Irish Sidhe, pronounced "shee", the proper name for the fair folk. You can see the same construction in "banshee", originally Bean Sidhe.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Zandar posted:

I'm going off half-remembered details, but I believe the Sith part comes from the same root as the Irish Sidhe, pronounced "shee", the proper name for the fair folk. You can see the same construction in "banshee", originally Bean Sidhe.

I think you're actually spot on there. Sith is just the scottish gaelic version and Sidhe the irish gaelic version of the same word. I think it's meant to have a ì in "Sith" though which changes how it's pronounced to sound more like "shee".

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah it's making me think it took him 11 years to finish it :psyduck:

Spending 5 years re-translating a Final Fantasy game would age you 11 years.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

FillInTheBlank posted:

Is there such a thing as high Japanese? Just from number of people, (generic, there are tons of variants) Bavarian would probably the most common dialect in Germany, but it is still very much a dialect and it would be weird/notable to have a character speak it, or two totallynotthesame characters, for that matter.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FillInTheBlank posted:

But things are usually dubbed in Kanto dialect because "Standard Japanese" generally follows the capital. Kansai dialects are just different enough to be noticeable without having to deal with half the country not knowing what the gently caress's been said in something like a Shikoku dialect.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

I actually really hate Cait Sith being given the Scottish accent but only because he looked so ludicrous in FF7 that I permanently imagined him as having a wacky cowboy accent like Mr. Hanky or something. Mainly because it was the craziest accent I could imagine for him, and I know it makes sense because of his name but it is really jarring for me to hear him speak like my people.

It's not a TERRIBLE accent they did with him, I'm kinda surprised it didn't turn Scotirish all things considering but it never felt right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

that article posted:

Cait Sith is one of Final Fantasy 7's most-loved characters.

I'm sorry, WHAT?!

• Locked thread