Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
With all this talk on who actually survived and who didn't, we sure are glossing over the whole "Palmer gets hit by a truck and still taunts Cid later in the rocket" part of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Cangelosi posted:

With all this talk on who actually survived and who didn't, we sure are glossing over the whole "Palmer gets hit by a truck and still taunts Cid later in the rocket" part of the plot.

He's pretty cushy on his own, plus he's rocking that edincoat for half damage. He's a regular weeblewobble.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

GrizzlyCow posted:

It has a sharp barrel.

So it was done by a sharpshooter?

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
The gun has a bayonet.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kanfy posted:

She just passed out like Tseng did but because she was surrounded by crazy people at the time, instead of getting proper medical attention she was drowned instead.

Reminds me though that a path that leaves Aeris alive was the most popular choice when (admittedly a small amount of) Japanese people answered in a poll which asked what they most wanted to see in the upcoming remake. I highly doubt Square would be crazy enough to do anything like that, but it would be hilarious if over twenty years later rumours about reviving her would become topical again.

Sqenix should let Yoko Taro guess-write the quest :unsmigghh:.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SirPhoebos posted:

Sqenix should let Yoko Taro guess-write the quest :unsmigghh:.

Yoko Taro to rewrite the entire script.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yoko Taro to rewrite the entire script.

A group of people with obvious, apparent mental disorders works to save the world from an eldritch abomination and powers they can't even begin to comprehend?

Sounds a lot like Drakengard 1 already.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

KataraniSword posted:

A group of people with obvious, apparent mental disorders works to save the world from an eldritch abomination and powers they can't even begin to comprehend?

Sounds a lot like Drakengard 1 already.
Yeah I mean frankly I'm surprised Taro Yoko didn't work on this game, this would be definitely right up his alley.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
No, not really. The world overall is ok and alive, beeing a nice person isn't automatically a death sentence and the world seems to have a real future, even after the game's ending.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wipfmetz posted:

No, not really. The world overall is ok and alive, beeing a nice person isn't automatically a death sentence and the world seems to have a real future, even after the game's ending.

Unless you interpret the ending scene as humanity being gone and Reds taking over the world.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Isn't the ending scene supposed to be LOOOOONG after the game?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't the ending scene supposed to be LOOOOONG after the game?

Originally, 20 years later. Then Advent Children made it 2 years, as it opened with that scene.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Silegna posted:

Originally, 20 years later. Then Advent Children made it 2 years, as it opened with that scene.

If I remember correctly, it actually takes place 500 years after the game in both the original and Advent Children.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

andipossess posted:

If I remember correctly, it actually takes place 500 years after the game in both the original and Advent Children.

Yeah the post credits is 500 years.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Yeah, I saw AC on Netflix recently and it says "498 years earlier".

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Death Zebra posted:

Yeah, I saw AC on Netflix recently and it says "498 years earlier".

Wait. AC Is now on Netflix?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Silegna posted:

Wait. AC Is now on Netflix?

What's there to say? Netflix has become a real hot product over the years!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Unless you interpret the ending scene as humanity being gone and Reds taking over the world.

I've always wondered how exactly Red managed to have children, being the last of his kind and all.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I've always wondered how exactly Red managed to have children, being the last of his kind and all.

:v:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Where's that "SCIENCE!" Gif when you need it?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Really, after all this you're treating the game (and in this specific instance, Hojo) as reliable narrators?

And you're treating the writing as if it's immune to plot holes and doing things by the Rule of Cool?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Man this game rules. Not PC at all and downright bizarre sometimes.

The arguably greatest mind (if insane) behind the biggest tech company in the world is trying to make a firedog and an angel mate. Keep your dream sequences FF8, your tailswords FF9, give me FF7 every time.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Perhaps Red stopped being racist and cross-bred with some of the other dog/wolf monsters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Benson Cunningham posted:

The arguably greatest mind (if insane) behind the biggest tech company in the world is trying to make a firedog and an angel mate. Keep your dream sequences FF8, your tailswords FF9, give me FF7 every time.

What this guy said.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I could be wrong but doesn't bugenhagen tell red he might meet a mate with the implication that he actually isn't the last of his kind?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Two Finger posted:

I could be wrong but doesn't bugenhagen tell red he might meet a mate with the implication that he actually isn't the last of his kind?

Bugenhagen's Final Fantasy

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Clifford Fantasy Seven.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Something I noticed while toying with the idea of rereading the LP:

Elentor posted:

Chapter 1 - In which we put rose-tinted glasses

All in all it's a good opening. Square did a version of it for the PS3, which is pretty neat and I recommend for everyone to watch:

It's also the closest thing we'll ever have to a remake because FF7 fans can't ever have nice things.

:haw:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Sorry, but I'll hang out with the evil tree and Gilgamesh in Saturday Morning Cartoon Final Fantasy V. "I'll get you next time, Light Warriors! Next time!"

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Something I noticed while toying with the idea of rereading the LP:

:haw:
You had one CG teaser trailer that looked like it was cobbled together from unused Advent Children footage.

You have a director who got kicked off FFXIII Versus for not being able to make the game, and who has spent years since not being able to ship Kingdom Hearts 3 and didn't even know he was directing this until recently, AND won't be able to until he finishes (or IF he finishes) KH3 anyway.

You have the company themselves in a hurry to say it's more of a reimagining than a remake because they know the game is too big and diverse to actually be remade with modern 3D graphics and voice acting. I mean how are they going to do the world map? Do you think the battle system will still be all materias and turn based? Or do you think it's more likely to be a button smashy run around and press x to do combos type of RPG?

All I'm saying is there's a pretty good chance it still might not happen. They do not have anything close to an actual game right now. I mean christ, think about how long it took to make FFXIII and that game is just corridors.

Not to mention it's being handled by the same people who have shown in at least FIVE different spinoffs that they DO NOT get these characters they own. So expect Cloud to be a brooding Squall-esque anime cliché and Aeris to be a submissive, typical healing staff chick instead of a brash, streetsmart girl from the bad side of town. And all with Square-Enix's trademark voice acting quality. (read: bad)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Supposedly they're showing more information in December.

I would be in your camp, but we suddenly have Cloud in Smash Bros.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kudos on having a very appropriate username.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Supposedly they're showing more information in December.

I would be in your camp, but we suddenly have Cloud in Smash Bros.

Cloud in Smash is awesome, but I wouldn't say I'm even cautiously optimistic about the remake. I was obviously stoked when it was first announced at E3 but I still am not very confident it'll have the same feel as the first game. I think voice acting would ruin it, I think fixing the translation errors would remove a lot of the charm, and I'm not confident that they'll do the models and general art justice.

Funny enough the Smash Bros model itself, the Midgar stage, and all that we've seen is a better representation of the original than any of the post-FF7 stuff square has done before. Smash is really good at doing 3rd party characters justice (except Sonic which I think is Sega's fault), and the model they made for Cloud is one of the best modern Clouds I've ever seen

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Whether it gets released or not, whether it's any good or not, an announcement is still closer than a tech demo of the opening. :colbert:

(Also if I was a total tool I could claim that I meant that the title should be "In which we put on rose-tinted glasses" but no.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I stand with VagueRant

I'd rather have FFXIII-4 anyway.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I stand with VagueRant

I'd rather have FFXIII-4 anyway.

Admit it - you couldn't type that with a straight face. :haw:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All I want from Square is Fran in the new Dissidia.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The remake is most likely going to suck but it'll sell like gangbusters and get a lot of young videogamers to check out the original FF7. That's a net benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I think fixing the translation errors would remove a lot of the charm

I've never understood this argument. Why would making the scrip more coherent be a bad thing?

• Locked thread