Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I never had trouble getting frogs the same way after I found that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Concordat posted:

That is odd, I remember getting enough frogs for the Silver Fork before even getting to Burmercia due to obsessively playing Chocobo Hot and Cold for a few hours. But the thing is I always left at least three frogs, one male, one female, one gold.

I am colorblind and could not reliably tell the difference between the different frog genders. So that little feature was kind of a pain in the rear end.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Pretty sure they were different shapes and the game told you what it was when you caught it, and gave you an option to let it go. Or am I imagining poo poo that would have made sense.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Concordat posted:

Pretty sure they were different shapes and the game told you what it was when you caught it, and gave you an option to let it go. Or am I imagining poo poo that would have made sense.

You get the gender and color in text form every time you catch one.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Concordat posted:

If they were different shapes, it was really hard to tell on any screen I've played it on. And while they do tell you the gender when you catch one, that would require catching one of each gender, then releasing them and keeping track of which ones you caught to make sure you left a male and female. I didn't say it was impossible, I said it was a pain in the rear end.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 23 - In which we side-quest

For this update we're not gonna do anything plot-intensive, because Good Lord last update already filled us in for 10 updates worth of plot.

ONWARD WE GO

We can take a look at the map. The two little red dots to our west are Midgar and Kalm. And yeah, we just crossed half the continent to the east and it didn't take a minute. And yes, I'm very glad, because dear lord I don't want to ever play Legend of Legaia again.

Our next destination also happens to be optional if you know what you're doing, but most players won't be able to proceed without going in it.

It's the Chocobo Farm.

If you talk to the Chocobo they'll do some horrible dancing that honestly, make zero sense to me.

The point is that you'll get the [Choco/Mog] Materia.

You might have noticed but the Choco/Mog Materia is red, and it's the first red materia we get. Red Materias are Summon Materias, which are basically strong magic with the drawback of having to watch long-rear end boring animations.

The Choco/Mog is also one of the few materia in the game that grant us the Wind Element. And by few I mean two.

What Choco/Mog does is inflict damage to everyone and inflict Stop. Sometimes it will summon a fat chocobo to fall over the opponents and do more damage, but no Stop.

Otherwise, it does more damage than anything we have right now (including Quake/Matra Magic).

The Midgar Zolom is a huge-rear end snake that lives in the marsh and moves around.

It's a remarkable opponent in two senses:

1) It's an enemy that you can see in the world map and actually follows you. The trick is that you have to outrun it to cross the marshes, and mounting a Chocobo allows that (although it's still possible to be catched, because she's still faster).

2) It's VERY HARD at this point in the game to fight her. And by VERY HARD I mean VERY FRIGGIN HARD. The Midgar Zolom can by all means be considered a "low-level superboss".

Of course this is all just business to Choco Bill and Choco Billy.

Apparently Sephiroth crossed the marshes too, on his own. So that's where we're going.

Because Cloud didn't die to him years ago so he's looking into fixing it. He's a glutton for punishment and his survivor's guilt is just demanding more.

Oh, well.

The [Chocobo Lure] is another very rare materia, there are few of it in the game. It's drat expensive, but like I said, it's pretty much a necessity during a normal gameplay.

To get a Chocobo, you need to fight on the Chocobo marks around the farm. You then need Chocobo Lure equipped to find Chocobos in the random battles. Greens are what you use to make Chocobos docile and wait for you while you kill the other enemies.

The more expensive the Green, the longer the Chocobo will wait for you.

Our money :cry:

We also buy a Mimett Green (yes, the expensive one), I'll explain why soon.

Yes, yes it was.

This is the marsh, and this is the lovely snake.

We don't give a poo poo about Chocobos though so we're gonna cross the marsh barefooted and OH GOD LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING :cry:

So here's the thing about the Midgar Zolom. I feel like I should dedicate some time to talk about her because people have been asking in spoiler tags since the first update, and because she's a somewhat important "superboss".

First, the little pita is a Level 26 enemy which is far higher than ours right now, but this doesn't mean much. The Midgar Zolom is FAR more powerful than Level 26 enemies are. She has 4000 HP which is also much higher than the last boss we fought.

The snake has a very strong attack that deals 400-500 damage and is obviously fast enough to get one attack every turn. If you played the game as fast as humanly possible and get to her, she will completely humiliate you. You can mitigate that damage by putting your characters on the back-row and using Sadness and the damage will go back to something manageable, like 130-180.

That attack isn't really the problem though. The problem are her counter-attacks - of which there are two.

The first counter is an attack which simply kicks one of your members out of battle. Yeah, that's it, he doesn't die, he's simply out. You can't resurrect him or jack poo poo. In fact, you don't even get a game-over if you lose and if the blown away member is alive, you just get back to the beginning of the marsh.

Also, she does that twice, so by the end of the battle you may have only one character.

The second counter, and her reason d'etré, is an attack called Beta, used when her HP is low. Beta is friggin insane. It does around 1100-1300 Fire Damage to everyone in your group, which is game over. Even if you survive it, it's a counter, so odds are that she'll just hit right after.

By the way, Beta is also an Enemy Skill.

So how are we gonna do this?

Remember all the Graviballs I was saving from the Train Graveyard? They do 1/4 current HP damage, but since Midgar Zolom isn't technically a Boss, they didn't give her resistance to Gravity. Which means we deal 2312 damage in the first turn :circlefap:

Beta is a Fire Elemental Spell, so we do Fire-Elemental on the armor to halve the damage, plus Sadness to reduce it by 30% again. Then we use it back against her, and voilà, gently caress YOU MIDGAR ZOLOM.

Well that was easy, wasn't it?

But before we proceed, there are two Enemy Skills that we must acquire.

The first one is L4 Suicide. L4 Suicide is an extremely situational but otherwise very powerful spell. It deals 97% of the enemy's HP of damage (I know, Jesus Christ) AND inflicts Mini, a status ailment. The problem? It only works on enemies whose level is a multiple of 4 (so 4, 8, 12, 16, etc).

Having L4 Suicide allows us to get another Enemy Skill around here...

If you equip Chocobo Lure you can fight Chocobos - that we all know.

The Chocobos have a special counter called Chocobuckle, but they only use it in two conditions. One - They have eaten a Mimett Green (or another Green that we don't have access at the moment).

The other condition? The chocobo must have ~3% Health or lower.

As you may have noticed, we're fighting a Level 16 Chocobo, so what we do is use L4 Suicide...

And it will counter with Chocobuckle, which is a fat Chocobo jumping on us. Yay!

As you may have guessed Chocobuckle is a Enemy Skill, albeit a fairly useless one - The damage dealt is the amount of times you have escaped from battle. It's a neat little spell to have though, even if just for fun.

I think we're good to go now. Let's cross the marsh and move on.

Wait what

Jesus Christ that's some unsettling imagery.

It's not like we didn't just completely destroy one of those.

BUT YOU JUST DID IT!! Arghhh my immersion etc.

Wait what are you doing here

Yeah fine I suppose the guy is strong to do it alone, whatever.

Anyway this whole thing about the Midgar Zolom is that you're supposed to fight her, and see how strong she is without dying to keep a nice continuity (hence why she just kicks you out), THEN you get here, see this and goes "oh, I see, that's a demonstration of power, we just tried to fight her and got kicked in the arse."

We move on and get to the Mythril Cave. This is where the guys in Kalm used to mine before they got kicked out by monsters. It's a really short and straightforward dungeon. I wouldn't even say it's a dungeon, it's just a passage really.

The cool thing about when you leave Midgar is that there's just so much random poo poo to do and explore, even if you're confined to a fairly linear path. Finding out these Enemy Skills we got today is a mini-game in itself.

Anyway, we find this in the cave. [Long Range] allows you to do the same damage in the back-row as you do in the front-row, and allows you to reach enemies who are far away, just like Barret does with most of his weapons.

Ohh yeah I love Matra Magic.

[Grand Glove] is one of the 30 Att tier weapons for Tifa, and we steal it from these weird golems called Madouges, just like the [Atomic Scissors] for Barret, [Hardedge] for Cloud and [Striking Staff] for Aeris. Yes, you get all of them by stealing, and they all have 4 Materia Slots, two linked and two unlinked.

Unlike the other 3, Grand Glove has 31, not 32 Attack. Still, it's a lovely update, because I forgot to equip the Mythril Claw from Kalm (24 Att).

By the way, I stockpiled a lot of Sources I found in Kalm and also forgot to use them.

They all go in Cloud obviously.

Oh poo poo not the Turks. So what's up guys, blowing up more cities around?

You can see Red is fairly bitter.

I think "kidnapping" is putting it more than positively, given that other than kidnapping they are also mass-murderers.

Elena is the clumsy incompetent side-kick found usually in low-budget straight-to-video movies.

Why are they explaining these things to us and not arresting the gang?

:smug:

Ooooohkay...

:ughh:

So yeah, Elena exists to contrast with how competent the females in our group tend to be.

:ughh:

Hahahaha it's personal now.

Hopefully we can steal it from him and give to, I don't know, Aeris?

Yes, Tseng is the creepy kidnapper who falls in love. It's like reverse stockholm syndrome.

Fine Tseng, we're gonna throw you a bone here. SIGH.

And with that lovely exchange, we're done for this Chapter.

NEXT TIME:

NINJAS! EGGS! NINJA EGGS!

Bugs & Bytes

Jormungandr

So we know that Midgar (the city) comes from Midgard, the human realm in Norse mythology. Midgar Zolom comes from Midgardsormr which is "Serpent from Midgard", also known as Jormungandr. In the norse mythology, the Midgardsormr was a giant serpenttossed in an ocean around Midgard, as the Midgar Zolom in the Marsh lives around Midgar.

Zolom Glitches

There are two glitches coming from Midgar Zolom that I know of.

The first is that since the marsh counts as the world map, you can save in it anytime. If you quit then load back, the Midgar Zolom will return to its original position, thus making it easy for you to cross the marsh.

The second happens if the Zolom dies from poison after receiving an attack and rising the body. Instead of triggering the death animation, it will just sit there moving its head while you get the victory fanfare.

Also, spoiler alert on related videos, as usual.

For the sake of completion

Since technically she isn't a boss and just a random encounter, I'm not adding her to the official count, but JUST to make sure we're clear here:

Look, I'm no expert in holding guns, but there's something very wrong with this image here. Paging TFR:

Elentor fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 10, 2014

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Midgar Zolom video's private.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fixed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Don't you also find the enemy skill Firebreathing in the mines?

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

I've always kind of wondered what that conversation with the chocobos was supposed to be, but I figure that Square probably never even thought that out.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ha, Tifa doing meteodrive on the Zolom looks completely retarded.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wark posted:

I've always kind of wondered what that conversation with the chocobos was supposed to be, but I figure that Square probably never even thought that out.

I'm pretty sure picking the wrong wark prevents you from ever getting that materia.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

I'm pretty sure picking the wrong wark prevents you from ever getting that materia.

No, you can just start the conversation up again.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
'Warrrrrrrk' is what Chocobos say when you attack them in battle and they peck everyone then run away! I figured it was chocobo swearing or something so I never said it to the chocobos at the farm.

'Wark', on the other hand, is obviously a cheerful greeting.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paracelsus posted:

Don't you also find the enemy skill Firebreathing in the mines?

It's the Flamethrower yes, and yeah I get it next update.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

No, you can just start the conversation up again.

Yeah, I suppose. I never tried. What I did on my first playthrough was talk to them once, say the wrong thing, then never talk to them again. When I looked up a list of materia and saw that one much later in the game, the chocobos were gone.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
I got stuck on the swamp for a while when I first played it, I didn't realize you had to get off the Chocobo to enter the cave on the other side and I didn't want to risk it anyway in case I couldn't go back if I needed to.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'd always wondered where the hell "Zolom" came from. I guess that's a fair attempt if the translators didn't know the source word.

If you don't want to grav-spam it to death, Mindblow makes it a pussycat as well. At least until it starts tail-whipping party members into oblivion.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
When I got here, I of course tried to fight the serpent and not run away, because we're manly men here (I left the females behind, indeed). I managed to survive fairly well without backrow trickery (dunno how exactly), and when I got it to half health, it threw Cloud out of the battle, then killed Red and Barret with Beta.

The message "Recieved Enemy Skill Beta" played. I was THRILLED.

Only to realize that I hadn't actually gotten it, as I lost the battle :negative:. Curse you! Such a tease.
How the hell are you supposed to figure out the Chocobo's enemy skill anyway? At least I got Matra Magic and lvl 4 Suicide pretty much by accident. Also Flamethrower! And I didn't get the summon Materia either. Man, playing FF games blind just makes you miss half the poo poo that's in them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Hey, Elentor, I know it's going to be months before you get to it but if I don't say it now it'll bug me for ages and then I'll forget it and never remember it again until it's too late.

You gotta crash the Adamantoise. You just gotta. It's hilarious.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I always returned to massacre the Midgar Zolom before fighting the final boss, as payback for forcing me to hunt chocobos. Apparently that wasn't necessary, though! It's always fun to see what you can accomplish once you know how to break a game like this :D

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, best character coming up next update.

vvvvv
If you're eight years old and easily amused by imagined profanity, maybe?

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 13, 2011

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Hell yeah, best character coming up next update.

What are you talking about? Cid doesn't show up for quite a while, yet.

spidget
Apr 23, 2005

10 PRINT "R Tape loading error, 0:1"
20 GOTO 10
Hi Elentor, I'm really enjoying reading this thread, you have an excellent writing style. I'm amazed at all the things I missed when I played this all those years ago, just hacking and healing my way through.

I've bought a PSP, and gotten a US copy of the game to play on it because of this thread. The difference is incredible, I booted my cds up just to check it wasn't my bad memory but it's seems to have suffered the full 17.5% PAL conversion slowdown and squished aspect ratio.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

HenryEx posted:

vvvvv

I think it's more that we're all fans of misogyny around these parts :v:

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
I never had the patience to find Enemy Skills on my own, so seeing them in LPs always makes me smack my forehead a bit.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

HenryEx posted:

vvvvv

Well, unless I've got my character join times completely rear end-backwards here, the next character who we'll be seeing is your standard quirky, scantily-dressed underage girl(see every JRPG ever made). So I'll counter with the at-least-I'm-not-a-pedophile defence.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Dauntasa posted:

Well, unless I've got my character join times completely rear end-backwards here, the next character who we'll be seeing is your standard quirky, scantily-dressed underage girl(see every JRPG ever made). So I'll counter with the at-least-I'm-not-a-pedophile defence.

She's not really scantily clad... take a look at her official artwork and see; the only thing questionable about her design is her unwillingness to button her shorts.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
EDIT: Oh god I got confused about which thread I was in.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 13, 2011

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

wdarkk posted:

EDIT: Oh god I got confused about which thread I was in.

What thread did you think you were in?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

zenintrude posted:

I think it's more that we're all fans of misogyny around these parts :v:

If men and women are equal, then it should be equally acceptable to hit either.

In seriousness though, Cid is the best and anytime someone tries to tell me differently it just breaks down into white noise.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
I must have been poo poo at this game. The only three enemy skills I ever got were Trine, Aqualung and Death Sentence.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Man, that zolom... This thread kickstarted my own playthrough of FF7 and dammit, it took me two days in my spare time to get that bloody Beta skill. The big problem for me was, until I moved everyone into the back row that the drat snake kept Beta-ing me and then IMMEDIATELY attacking afterwards, ending in a kill. I'd been doing everything else recommended except that up til then and it didn't work.

Even twinking around like this, it's always been VERY satisfying to take the big bastard down after all these years, I gotta say.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Seeing tifa suplex that 30 foot snake just reminds me of sabin and THE DOOMTRAIN. I can't decided which is more awesome. Suplexing a giant monster snake or suplexing a ghost train.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dauntasa posted:

What thread did you think you were in?

Probably the Ar Tonelico: Qoga thread.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Paracelsus posted:

Probably the Ar Tonelico: Qoga thread.

No, the Tales of Phantaisa thread. The discussion of an upcoming party member's outfit was somewhat similar (but not quite) to a future party member there.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Next update I'm letting you guys pick up my party because honestly I can't decide. So many different ways of breaking the game with each and every one of them.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Elentor posted:

Next update I'm letting you guys pick up my party because honestly I can't decide. So many different ways of breaking the game with each and every one of them.

I vote the bros.

Red, Barret, and Cloud.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Seeing tifa suplex that 30 foot snake just reminds me of sabin and THE DOOMTRAIN. I can't decided which is more awesome. Suplexing a giant monster snake or suplexing a ghost train.
It doesn't have to end at snakes. There is always more suplexin' to do, with Barett. AVALANCHE will be reborn one crater at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Elentor posted:

I always liked Red, [next party member], and Cloud.

• Locked thread