Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah, that was a design decision I never really understood.

IIRC, this was added specifically for the US version and then included in the "International" edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
VVVVVVV
Because I got a good laugh out of it? Never mind, then.

Mr. Stay-Puft fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 5, 2012

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Gaea's Cliff is where I finally got stuck and fed-up on my first playthrough of the game (my very first RPG, at age 13). When I came back to the game about a month later, my save was corrupted. :smith: (Although I eventually got a copy of a friend's save.)

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Speaking of which, I wonder to what degree the ambiguity/confusion in FFVII is, rather than being intentional on the part of the writers, actually a consequence of the famously spotty translation.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Thousands of years ago a race of proto-humans called the Cetra lived in harmony with the planet. Then a meteor fell from the sky carrying an alien shape-shifter named Jenova. Jenova was initally embraced by the Cetra but eventually turned out to be an evil, planet-destroying parasite who drove them to near-extinction.
Several decades ago the Shin-Ra Corporation conducted extensive research into the Cetra (now called the Ancients), making two key discoveries.
One was the body of Jenova, whom they mistakenly assumed was an Ancient. Not long after this discovery they created the first Mako Reactor, a power source so revolutionary that Shin-Ra quickly became the most powerful group on the planet, a de facto one-world government. The reactors work by harvesting life-energy from the planet (similar to Jenova herself). Shin-Ra's rise to dominance was aided by SOLDIER, an elite group within their private army augmented with Jenova's cells.
The other discovery was the actual last living Ancient, Ilfalna. Professor Gast, Shin-Ra's lead researcher, fell in love with Ilfalna and fled with her to a remote village in the North. There, she gave birth to a child, Aerith. Shortly afterwards, Shin-Ra found them, killed Gast, and captured the women for experimentation by Hojo, Shin-Ra's new chief scientist.
Shin-Ra's conquest was hardly unopposed. Besides a war with the nation of Wutai, various rebel groups sprang up. AVALANCHE, in Shin-Ra's capital city of Midgar, is one of these. The group is lead by Barrett Wallace and Tifa Lockheart, both of whom had their hometowns (Corel and Nibelheim respectively) destroyed by Shin-Ra. Their newest recruit is a mercenary named Cloud Strife. Supposedly he is a childhood friend of Tifa's, a former member of SOLDIER, and a fellow witness to Nibelheim's destruction. However, there are some suspicious inconsistencies in his story.
Cloud, Tifa, and Barrett begin a terrorist campaign against Shin-Ra. Along the way, they meet the now-grown Aerith Gainsborough, who is no longer an active research subject (following the death of her mother) but remains under the watchful eye of the Turks, Shin-Ra's secret police. The group's escalating clashes with Shin-Ra result in their capture, the deaths of the other AVALANCHE members, and the destruction of large swaths of Midgar. While in captivity at Shin-Ra HQ they see the still-possibly-alive body of Jenova, meet Hojo, and recruit another test subject: a highly intelligent lion-like creature named Red XIII. Like Aerith, he is the last of his kind.
Abruptly, the protagonists are freed from their cells, only to discover a gruesome massacre which includes the President of Shin-Ra. Cloud is convinced that this is the work of Sephiroth, the former head of SOLDIER and the one responsible for the destruction of Nibelheim. Jenova's body is missing. Cloud claims that Sephiroth is an even-more-imminent danger to the world than even Shin-Ra, and the gang sets off across the land (with Shin-Ra's Turks never far behind) to find him.

Party members met:
  • Cait Sith, a talking cat riding a giant stuffed Moogle, who turns out to be a robot controlled by one of Shin-Ra's top executives for espionage purposes.
  • Yuffie Kisaragi, a young Wutai expatriate who turns out to have joined just to steal all their stuff but has a change of heart.
  • Vincent Valentine, a vampire-like man found sleeping in the basement of an abandoned lab. He turns out to be a former member of the Turks who was turned into another test subject after having his loyalties questioned.
  • Cid Highwind, a pilot and an embittered veteran of Shin-Ra's failed, now-dormant space program. He turns out to be a dick.

Revelations:
  • Cloud relates the story of Nibelheim 5 years ago. A group of SOLDIERs lead by Sephiroth and including Cloud came to Nibelheim to investigate strange mosnters terrorizing the town. (Tifa was still living there and training in martial arts.) They discovered an abandoned lab (where the party would later find Vincent) and Sephiroth found a wealth of documents on his origins. He believed himself to be an Ancient, but once he realized he was A) a lab-created freak, B) "son" of Jenova who was in fact a world-eating abominiation. This drives him insane and he slaughters the townsfolk (including Cloud's mom and Tifa's dad) and burns the town down, then disappears. (Curiously, Tifa corroborates everything involving Sephiroth but remains suspiciously mum on the parts regarding Cloud.)
  • The party encounters numerous "black-caped men" with number tattoos who babble about a "Reunion with Sephiroth."
  • Nibelheim has been rebuilt and repopulated as Shin-ra's very own Potemkin village.
  • The planet has something called the Lifestream wherein dead souls return to the planet and are turned into energy to create new life. Shin-Ra's Mako Reactors tap directly into the Lifestream, and are thus slowly turning the world into a lifeless hunk of rock.
  • Sephiroth/Jenova/some-combination-thereof plans to summon a meteor to strike the planet, opening a hole into the Lifestream and absorbing it, "becoming one" with the planet and then presumably zooming off into space to begin the cycle anew.
  • Cloud has some kind of biological connection to Jenova and is somehow being manipulated by Jenova/Sephiroth to help summon the meteor. The details of this relationship (and the nature of who we've been chasing) are extremely unclear at this point, as is the reliability of Cloud's memory.
  • Shin-Ra's current leadership is hilariously incompetent.
  • Aerith dies.
  • This was less concise than I intended.

Mr. Stay-Puft fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 27, 2012

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Rufus seems like a competent guy surrounded by utter nincompoops. You try running an evil organization when your right hand henchmen are Scarlett, Heidegger and Palmer.

Yeah, by "leadership" I was referring more to his "cabinet" as a whole rather than just poor Rufus.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

RoeCocoa posted:

Policenauts did this.

THANK YOU! I knew I'd seen this in an LP recently and was going nuts trying to recall which one.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

darealkooky posted:

So this has probably already been covered, does "Shin-Ra" actually mean anything in japanese? Why does it seem like they only spell it like that in this original game?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shinra_Electric_Power_Company#Etymology

Final Fantasy Wiki posted:

Shinra comes from the first two characters of Shinra Banshou (神羅万象, Everything Covered by God), a Japanese four-character idiom and homophone variant of Shinra Banshou (森羅万象, All-Covering Forests and Ten Thousand Things), a Buddhist idiom which has come to mean "All of Nature" or "All of Creation". This refers to the Shinra Company's status as global superpower, monopolizing industry and governing most of the Planet.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

(granted, we'd probably have some other spin-off that's just as bad, like a stealth game with Yuffie or something).

My brain just started writing Yuffie Gear Solid: Tactical Materia Action.

"Do you think greed can bloom even on a battlefield?"

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
The Skies Above is my go-to karaoke song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqJn5Lrqb2c

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

[edit] Why no Nobuo's name in trailer?

Probably because he's been an independent contractor for the last decade rather than a Square Enix employee, and the contract side of things isn't settled yet (if he's indeed going to be directly involved, other than someone else re-arranging his compositions).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Just to clarify, what the various consoles use is not "MIDI" per se -- that refers to a very specific PC file format. They each do their own proprietary MIDI-like equivalent.

• Locked thread