Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
In a way, I'm glad they're never gonna remake this game. I could see Square shoehorning in all that extra garbage from the sequels and prequels they've churned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

sc0ttmst posted:

You sir, just blew my mind. We're gonna be learning a lot from this LP, I can tell you that now!

I had always assumed that the holes were for Materia, but at the same time it didn't make sense to my 10 year old self because I had always pictured Materia as more marble sized. I have no idea why I thought that.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Cangelosi posted:

I half expected this thread to be waist deep in black spoiler tags thanks to people already trying to tell us how the game ends within a few posts of this starting. I'm quite glad it isn't that bad yet.

But yeah...fond memories for the first few hours of this game. Course I had to play it on my friend's PS1 first, and then later got a copy for my PC which I can't play anymore because it doesn't jive well to Vista. Oh well.

Yeah, I wish the PC version was more stable. There are a lot of cool mods for it, but it's a chore to play with all the crashes.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Elentor posted:

He has very valid points. He's specially right in saying that all the existing content is pretty much useless should they choose to do a full remake. But the main issue is that we're talking about Square-Enix here.

etc.

Yeah, starting basically from scratch is a huge hurdle towards a remake, but every now and then it felt like the author of the article was just saying, "Guys, making games is hard."

If Square thinks that remaking FF7 would make more money than a new iteration of the series, they'll do it. I think they're better off with the current "throw Cloud into every crossover ever" plan though. A remake would sell, certainly, but I don't think it would sell as well as you'd expect. The problem is Square's interpretation of the characters now is very different from the way they were in the actual game. Cloud is a dark brooding hurt soul, Aeris is an innocent fairy princess, Red XIII is there, and so on.

So what do you do? Do you release the game as it was then (with Cloud being kind of a dick and Cid yelling at everyone for everything), or release the game as it would be now (with Barrett just being an offensive stereotype and Aeris being a boring Mary Sue)?

I have too much time at work. Should I be spoiler tagging a couple of those character names?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Elentor posted:

Well if this isn't an informative LP, I don't know what it is.

You should find some way to incorporate all that stuff into your post, so if you finish this and it gets posted to the archive the info is still around.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Prima guides weren't very good.

I mentioned this in another thread, but back in the day the best publisher for guides was Versus Books. It's too bad they were never really big enough to complete with Prima and Brady :(

Also at the risk of public shaming I really like FF8. It's got a school where they train child soldiers and the final exam is being dumped into a full-on war Normandy style. Also the school flies for some reason.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

a spooky ghost posted:

As Diablos levels up, it's actually a pretty huge chunk of HP. I think it ends up being like 90% or more. Most bosses are immune, but still!

I think he takes off a percentage of HP based on his level up to 9999. So in theory you can one-shot anything with less than 10,000 health that isn't a boss.

Of course, by then you can do that with a regular weapon attack, without the restriction on bosses so :jerkbag:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I really liked the character design with a few exceptions all through the PSX era. The only one I really didn't like at all was Zell in FF8. Once Nomura hit peak belt in FFX it started to get more than a little ridiculous though.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Olibu posted:

Well now I wonder how many videogame songs can match that terrible track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x08jBMIAd0

It really DOES go with everything.

e: I think the best part about Crank Dat One-Winged Angel is if you're playing the PC version it would be very easy to replace the original song in the game with the mashup.

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 20, 2011

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

The backgrounds are pre-rendered. The character models are not.

Basically this. The characters are real-time PS1-rendered models running around on paintings that were rendered by a computer much more powerful than a PS1.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Elentor posted:

Granted, they could have used the Battle Models, but the original planning was that the game would be SD like FF6-.

One of my favorite mods for the PC is the one that replaces the low-poly models with the battle models. Sure, it sometimes got a little jarring to see a lovingly rendered Cloud standing next to an NPC made of about four polygons, but it was a small price to pay I think.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

George posted:

How do they animate?

it's been a while, but I remember them looking really good. Basically they did all the same motions and animations exactly the same as the low poly models. The only thing that looked a little weird were their hands, since pointing and reaching animations in the cutscenes were done with giant hoof hands in mind.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Thranguy posted:

Also, I wish the translators were more consistent between using "Shinra" and "The Shinra". Especially since every time Barret uses "The Shinra" he's saying something that would sound horrifyingly racist if you substitute 'The Jews' or the like...

You know this actually sounds about right for Barret.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

The youtube video doesn't capture this, but in the actual game you see Cloud and co. swinging away from the pillar in that shot at the beginning. The transition from game engine to FMV was completely seamless. That kind of thing was breathtaking back in 1997.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
A little late to the party, but I just want to echo the "I love taking the stairs" sentiment. Something about Barret and Tifa bitching all the way up makes me laugh every time. Especially "Stop acting like a retard and climb!"

That and one of Barret's lines coming up in the next update are a couple of my favorite lines in the whole game.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Are... are you going to make a giant set of chainmail with all those bangles? :stare:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Elentor posted:

Line of the game, right here.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Wow, I had just assumed the game would never run on Win7 since it was always just a pain on XP. I think I'm gonna install that tonight and restart my recent run. Luckily I'm not too far in. Something like 10 hours, a lot of which was grinding limit breaks because I've never actually played the game start to finish, let alone gotten all the extra content.

I'm actually really awful about finishing FF games :(

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Is there a good site with a collection of PC mods? My usual suspects last time I played FFVII PC have all disappeared into the Internet ether.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

To: Scarlet - Head of Shin-Ra Weapons Development.
Re: What the gently caress is this thing and why did it cost Ǥ6 billion!?

drat, with the revolver chamber there that thing must have a good six linked Materia slots. Imagine the combinations you could pull off with that poo poo!

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Dauntasa posted:

Yeah, apparently. But there's much easier ways to make something vibrate that don't have a large chance of removing the user's fingers.

NO. We are NOT going to do this in this thread too.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Tifa was doing a facepalm on the Mako fountain, due to the very bad joke.

It always looked like she was touching the mako fountain to me. I assume mako behaves like mercury.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Saradiart posted:

e: Also, I echo the opinions of Sephiroth. I had a friend who thought (and probably still thinks) Sephiroth is literally the greatest villain ever written. I always felt like the other antagonists were much more effective! Each of the Turks are well written. Rufus, despite being sort of hammy, is an effective villain. Hojo is great. The Shinra corp is great. Even Jenova is pretty compelling.

Yeah, the Turks are great, and they're way underused. I'd love to see Reno in a Dissidia game or something.

e: vvv geez Hojo, way to be a dick.

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 5, 2011

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Was anyone disappointed with the ending of the flashback? It sort of peters out after building up to a very big climax.

I can't remember exactly how I felt upon my first playthrough but I'm guessing I was...confused.

But that's probably the point.

That pretty much is the point. The flashback ends right at the big showdown and the audience is left going, "Wait. What happened next?" Cloud even rubs it in with that "Well poo poo, I couldn't have possibly won. Why am I not a stain on the reactor wall right now?" bit at the end.

I don't remember being disappointed at the end of it. I just HAD to keep playing to find out what happened.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
One of my favorites was Added Effect-Transform in a weapon. Sure, it doesn't really have the utility of Break or Destruct, but turning enemies into tiny frogs on contact is just so satisfying.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

George posted:

This is why I don't get the hate for Kujata. Sure, you'd never want to cast it, but linking it to elemental on your armor is pretty nice.

I tried that and it didn't seem to work. With a 2-star Elemental it should render Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Earth invalid, right?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It's been suffixes from the beginning, they were just translated as numbers because... space constraints, I guess?

Basically, yeah. Blizzaga is only a few characters in Japanese so especially back in the day of ridiculous space constraints it was only feasible to call it ICE3. Granted, space for text almost certainly wasn't a problem for FFVII, but this game in particular is from the tail end of an era where there weren't really "Localization Teams," but rather "One guy given a script and allowed maybe a month to translate it all to english"

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
If a spell doesn't take ten minutes to recite it's not worth my time :colbert:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I remember playing a demo way back when, but I remember the party having Tifa, not Aeris. It also had ridiculous mid game stuff like Neo Bahamut.

I could just be remembering wrong about Tifa though.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

pun pundit posted:

I vote you show off the ways to break the game with all the characters. So if you get new ones, show them off! I'm already assuming you will be showing us all the max level limit breaks.

Definitely this. New party every update, starting with Barret and upcoming character. Switching Materia around is easy enough that there's no reason this can't be done

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Dauntasa posted:

Yeah, she's never all that good at hitting things but her magic is always ahead of everyone else. Plus her best weapon is really easy to get, and her last limit makes everyone totally invincible. She's pretty broken, actually.

Also doesn't her ultimate weapon get triple power or something ridiculous like that if the other two party members are dead?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

MGlBlaze posted:

I believe that is the case, yes. Tifa has a late-game weapon with a similar gimick, except it either doubles or tripples in power depending on certain status effects she's burdened with...

And those damage multipliers apparently stack.

Not much point if you've farmed sources, but if you're rushing through it can be among the most powerful weapons in the game, albeit at the cost of needing to stack a bunch of status ailments on Tifa each time a battle starts. That and the base damage for it is kind of lovely.

Well clearly the solution there is to put a ribbon on Cloud and your third, give Tifa whatever accessory nulls Blind, and open every battle with Bad Breath. Does BB inflict Frog or Mini? that's the only flaw I can think of in this plan.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Elentor posted:

Vincent is an okay character dialogue-wise. His initial conversation is god-awful but he has some interesting script after that. Unfortunately most people don't know because he's a gimmick character so no one uses him.

But his gimmick is awesome.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Jakse posted:

His gimmick also involves elemental damage and he can unintentionally make certain boss fights a headache.

Pft, that's just called "hard mode." :smug:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Barret rules, Cid rules, Aeris rules, Yuffie, Tifa, and Vincent are pretty cool, Red and Cait Sith only show up in my party long enough for me to slap their ultimate weapons and final Limit Breaks on them for completion's sake.

Seriously, from the last time he's forced into your party to the final strike on the end boss of the game Cait Sith had a flashing Limit bar in my most recent run. He's such crap I couldn't be bothered to PHS him into my party for even one battle to use that Limit.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
That's kind of what ruined Blitzball for me. The difficulty curve starts out balls-hard and then there's this sheer drop-off. I really liked it, I just wish it were better balanced to make matches challenging but doable.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

zenintrude posted:

People call FFVIII emo, but FFX is truly the emoist of all FFs.

I think I saw it mentioned on these forums that if you switched Squall and Tidus they'd each be right at home.

Then again playing the first several hours of FF8 with Tidus, Selphie, and Zell would be insufferable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Oh god you can W-Summon KOTR? And then Mimic W-Summon KOTR?

• Locked thread