Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

FinalGamer posted:

HOW DID HE DO THE TWINKLY-SOUNDING PARTS

HOW

HOW DO YOU HEAR YOURSELF MAKING THAT ALTOGETHER AT ONCE!?

It's called absolute pitch. This guy has it, it's a pretty common thing to have if you're a musician. It's also pretty much a requisite if you want to make and/or perform music people like listening to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Not my fav, but the original is still pretty cool.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

She wasn't even dead, just on creepy magical life support. Honestly, I think that might just make it worse.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I thought all chaps lacked asses. :confused:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Soricidus posted:

Scientists are occasionally wrong about things, you know. Even the greatest minds, people who aren't remotely insane and are universally recognised by other scientists as the leading experts in their fields, have been known to say things that later turn out not to be correct. And we have no reason to suppose Hojo is that great. His continued employment is hardly a great endorsement of his talent, if his peers at Shinra are anything to go by.

You're applying real-world rules to what is essentially a kind of nice anime. Hojo's an authority because he says things in a voice animes use to dispense facts about their world. There's really no ambiguity, if you know the narrative language the game is born from beforehand.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It can and it did. Sorry. :(

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Sephiroth did lots of squats in SOLDIER college and got really buff, and Cloud didn't, so Sephiroth could use that sword and Cloud tried but he probably fell on his rear end and almost amputated his hand off.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

FinalGamer posted:

But yeah, this game had a lot of great ideas and some great characters, if you just manage to decipher through the odd writing and bad translation thanks to an inexperienced team because Sakaguchi somehow did not trust Ted Woolsey.

The type of work Ted Woolsey did can be taken as insurrection and an assault on the creative talents of the director. They didn't doubt Ted's talents as a translator, they didn't like him assuming the much-needed role of a localizer. Same deal happened with the dude who worked on the script for the original MGS. Talents getting fired for this type of work is getting less common - or publicized - as understanding of this concept started spreading in the Japanese games industry.

EDIT: vvvvv There's no way out of it once you're in, no indication for what buttons you've pressed and the only reference you have for the moves doesn't appear in battle...if I remember right. Though those are all problems with Blitz pre-porting.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 17, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

keeping the current pre-rendered backgrounds and stuff

These literally don't exist except at the resolution on the game discs. Every asset behind those backgrounds was deleted long ago. What you'd be left with is crisp models in front of really grainy, pixelated backgrounds that never ever fit.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

I'd love to see a modern use of pre-rendered backgrounds
Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUleDEFkUtE&t=110s

Dynamic water motion, realistic shadows from characters and scenery through a complete day/night cycle and fully dynamic scene lighting. The only 3D object is the waterfall.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Because the ammo is souls and the Planet doesn't care if they're still in their live bodies when it takes them.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 24, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Precisely. I can't wait for the day when FPS games adopt this innovation. Being shot at? Take cover. Enemy behind cover? Grenade. Low on health? Crouch behind cover until restored. What a fantastic joy that (sadly hypothetical) game is going to be.

Except those two genres are completely different.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

eating only apples posted:

His FFVIII thread was incredibly boring. Did he do anything else of value?

He kept Pork Lift's FF13 thread on the first page by shitposting a lot.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

I'm partial to Prancing Dad myself.

Is it Dad as in Dadrock? Because Dadrock is Bestrock.

edit: oh hey, he put mars, bringer of war in there, he's cool in my book

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 1, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

pitlo posted:

The only thing I remember about Rinoa is she seemed to "squat down" a lot.

It's a Japan thing.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Olesh posted:

Using this as a demonstrative piece, you could justify any 4/4 song with the correct tempo as having the same beat. I mean, it's kind of like saying that two people have the same height and weight - it may be technically true, but useless as a basis of comparison and doesn't indicate any sort of relationship between the two.
Oh come on, that's clearly two stomps and a clap by a crowd. Show me one song that has that. I mean, It's pretty clear Nobuo's a metalhead.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 22, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

FinalGamer posted:

This is the same guy that got the dude from loving Deep Purple to do the boss theme for Blue Dragon. Yes he is a metalhead and I love his taste.

click "metalhead"

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dementedghost posted:

Beat as he's using it is how fast and how many beats are in a measure.
That's a false premise.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

FinalGamer posted:

Not when its fandom majority are all teenagers that didn't actually play the game :v:

Just a bit of housekeeping for accuracy.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You saying metalheads don't listen to jazz? There's a pretty big overlap between people who like metal and people who like jazz.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

I love metal and I love jazz, because metal rules and so does jazz. :colbert:
:hfive: good music-liking buddy.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I kinda liked the ideas in there. Third person shooter with simple gun crafting sounds cool, but then they screwed it up with the level design.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

quistis wtf i dont wana bang u thers this girl i danced awkwardly with and

uh

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am pretty sure as well. I only know of the SNES version.

Fister Roboto posted:

It ripped off Dungeons and Dragons shamelessly.

Like, in an almost illegal sense.
:ughh:

It was the NES "version" that ripped off Star Wars and FFI ripped off Wizardry and Ultima.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

LEGO Genetics posted:

drinks like a fish? what exactly is in THE GODDAMN TEA
heidegger puts lard in his

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Tangentially related to Brazil/Japan chat, but Portugal was the first nation to have open trade with Japan in Nobunaga times (was that the warring states period? I'm kinda afraid to guess). The effects of this are still felt today, they share the same word for bread: Pan.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo is a series of letters that were banned by the Japanese shogunate some hundreds of years ago because I don't know. Something to do with curses or a plague or something, it's dumb, but they managed to ban an entire consonant from their alphabets.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

"Metal Gear is nothing but a nuclear equipped walking death mobile!" is a real line from the first MGS and I'll never forget that.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Silegna posted:

Please tell me you are joking. If you aren't...great, I went through the whole game with the drat surprised mouths.

The mouths loving own. :colbert:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

There's a been a few games where you play a dad last gen. I mean there's Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us... For some reason you either have a mad dad, or you play a sad dad. Why can't dads be rad?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Personally, I think we need to get over this dad fad.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

R-66Y :colbert:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I asked for a mid budget action game like Einhander

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

How Ingratiating! posted:

I know nothing about MIDI
*burp*

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Patter Song posted:

It just had nothing to do with Final Fantasy
The protagonist is Terra and the core of the planet is the Lifestream.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

That's a plot point. Why change it?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Speaking of VIII and cards, I'm highly disappointed Squall's card in XIV doesn't have his quote about saving the hot dogs instead of what is possibly the lamest thing he says in that game.

It's the only bit of dialogue I remember from that game, so if nothing else, it's iconic.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The game made in Japan has characters that look Japanese? :monocle:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Holy gently caress, foreshortening in an Amano piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yeah.

FF6 redone in Amano-like cel shading would blow my fuckin' mind. I'd imagine a project to make FF3, 6, and 9 like that would be popular (and make more sense than remaking FF7).
It'd be pretty difficult to transfer Amano's art to 3D considering part of the point of it is that there's slim-to-no foreshortening and no perspective.

• Locked thread