Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Arujei posted:

I'm just surprised that Square would name one of their villains after one of the more influential German philosophers.
Maybe they were thinking of Martin Heidegger's Nazi ties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

tarepanda posted:

Did you read the same Martin Heidegger I did, or did you watch some weird anime about him? Because... wow.

I might be going out on a limb here, but I suspect that he is talking about the character named Heidegger who appears in the video game which this thread is showcasing the LP of. Said character is giant, imposing, scarred, and works for what can functionally be considered the government, which would align nicely with the description given.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
For me, the main problem with the PC version was that when the game got to a certain major cutscene partway through disk 2, it crashed. Every time. This was apparently a known issue, and the only solution if it happened to you was to download a save file from Ubisoft's website that was from after the cutscene.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If you put Added Effect + Time on a weapon, does it inflict Haste on the enemy along with Slow and Stop? And does it do all of them, or does each have an independent chance?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only time I've really used Added Effect and a materia that inflicts multiple statuses is Seal and if more than one works you won't see it because two of them are Stop and Petrify. :shobon:
Doesn't Added Effect + Hades do it as well? I only recall using it in armor as a pseudo-ribbon, but I'd expect that to be Bad Breath On A Stick in a weapon.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Don't you also find the enemy skill Firebreathing in the mines?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dauntasa posted:

What thread did you think you were in?

Probably the Ar Tonelico: Qoga thread.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dpbjinc posted:

Red doesn't count because he is a dog... cat... thing.

Speciesist. :colbert:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
For the purposes of story flow, I always preferred using Tifa as one of the characters. Extremely vague spoiler: It felt like it made some later scenes make more sense and have more weight and credibility if she'd been sticking close to him the whole time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

magikid posted:

Seriously, look at Zidane or Freya's skillsets and tell me you'll ever use any of that.
Thievery and Dragon Crest? Plus stealing poo poo was actually worthwhile.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I did four runs of Persona 4, each ~100 hours. Play through Normal and its NG+, then Hard and its NG+.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HenryEx posted:

Batman Jenova Returns by Steffan Andrews

I was actually planning to post the exact same thing once I saw he referenced Jenova Celestial. Both are excellent.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

kalonZombie posted:

I don't think there are any cited ages, and even then only one of your party members is ACTUALLY human, so it's not like it makes a big difference.
I know Amarant has bluish skin, but if he's not a human then what is he?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ApeHawk posted:

What's weird about KH turning Cloud from :smug: to :emo: is that Squall is actually less whiny than in his game. I don't get it, did they see Squall as more manly than Cloud? Because that is not loving true.

It's still the fangirl effect. Squall/Seifer isn't even remotely as popular as Cloud/Sephiroth, so there wasn't any point in playing to that audience.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
My first major economic decision was asking my parents for an NES as a combined birthday/Christmas present, my mom pointing out that the WSJ had mentioned that there was a new, more powerful system coming out soon, and me being able to understand delayed gratification enough to be able to wait for the glorious SNES.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ddegenha posted:

It reminds me of, of all things, the King James Bible and how the words are italicized for no apparent reason.
Those are words that were not actually present in the Hebrew or Greek, but that the translators felt necessary to add to the text to satisfy the rules of English grammar.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

iTrust posted:

I always used a Ribbon in the Battle Arena, it negates all of the negative status reels entirely, whilst still letting you get points from them.

Don't forget Hades+Added Effect on your Armor.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CmdtCarpenter posted:

oh

oh god no

so many terrible memories

no we need to loving WIN THE RACE SO I CAN GET A BLACK goddammit :smithicide:
It's not really that bad as long as you remember to stuff as many decent greens as you can down their gullet before you start racing each one.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Maybe having to do a lot of interfacing gives them an opportunity to practice their APM?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oraculum Animi posted:

The Cactuar and Land Worm combo is the same you find in the desert area in the World of Ruin in FFVI, although there are a lot of evasion-ignoring attacks to make the fight easier and they're more common.
Wasn't evasion actually a null stat in in FFVI, with MDef% pulling double duty? That would make Cactaur pretty trivial, unless he had high MDef% as well.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

readingatwork posted:

He's REALLY not and it bugs the poo poo out of me that Square itself doesn't seem to realize this. Cloud wasn't loving Squall.
I'd say the problem with Square these days isn't that they keep trying to recapture the magic of FFVII and keep failing; it's that they keep trying to recapture the magic of FFVIII and keep succeeding.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Blastoise posted:

The idea of slums being made more appealing to tourists is very disconcerting for me. There's nothing glamorous about being poor.

If you really want to see how poor people live, chances are very high you don't even need to leave your own city.
I think the point is less about seeing the poor people, and more about how you see yourself: "I am a sensitive, noble person who is aware of the plight of these poor people and humble enough to seek to learn from their authentic wisdom and ways , which are no doubt superior to the stale traditions passed down from my (gently caress you) dad." It also makes for a story that will get you an easy in with chicks who like Sensitive Guys.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm reasonably sure the "D-Type Equipment" is supposed to be an Evangelion reference. There is a D-Type Equipment in the series that's basically a diving suit for giant mechs which is rated to withstand the core of a volcano.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I don't think I've asked this before, but can someone explain to me what the "Peerless" status is?
You don't take damage. I forget whether you can heal, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vanrushal posted:

I don't know, man. I replayed this over the last couple months and ultimately Aeris and Cloud just struck me as creepy as gently caress. Not that I think that Tifa's a sterling alternative to the flower girl, either. I guess it's fitting actually that the relationships in this game should be as hosed up as the rest of it.
I thought it was actually a bit of a refreshing change to have issues and codependency in relationships instead of the Twue Wuv games usually serve up.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Bravo posted:

That's what I meant. Trust me, you'll know when it happens, it's pretty damned good.

It's really one of best done (and possibly THE best done) plot twists I've seen in a video game. Not like that's an especially great achievement, given the competition, but it's also one that works uniquely well because it's in the context of a video game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
When I originally played FF7, it was on a computer that wasn't quite up to spec. Aside from screwing up scenes where models were overlaid on FMVs, it made the motorcycle scene run so slowly that it was trivially easy.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tengames posted:

Im amazed with how fast you're getting these limits. I don't think I even got finishing touch on cloud until the 2nd disk. Usually I have cloud just gaining his 2nd levels of limit breaks right before gold saucer.
Giving a character an all-target spell and setting them loose in an area with a good chance to spawn 3-5 weak enemies/battle can get you to level 3 surprisingly fast.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Yeah, the story was pretty bad and not really something that needed to be an FFVII property, but I did enjoy the gun customization system.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Materia was a neat way to handle magic, but it did have the unfortunate effect of making characters largely interchangeable. I think it might have been better as a complement to a character-growth system instead of being essentially the entirety of that system. I liked how in VI the characters all had very different uses, even though you could give all of them all of the spells.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lethemonster posted:

I've never understood people who don't like the materia system because it makes your characters interchangeable. I like being able to have who I want to play with in my party, rather than having to repeatedly shove someone in I don't find as interesting or fun because they are the only person who can cast X or use Y.
It means you no longer have to make strategic decisions. The only things that matter are "which characters do I like to look at/which characters are at the highest levels," as the differences in physical and magic attack between characters tend to be pretty marginal as the game goes on. You never have to make sacrifices to achieve your goals. As a result, the gameplay can lack for variety, because you always have an obvious optimal path.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Bravo posted:

Except for the Limit system, and gear choices. True, the stat boosts each individual character gets are minimized somewhat by the endgame, but the Limit Breaks and gear that each character gets go a long way towards adding variety to the game.

Most limits are just "hit a thing," though, and the only question is who hits for the most. There are differences in how quickly characters' gauges fill, but you can (and I did) play through the game without realizing that, so it's not something that's clear enough of a difference for the average player to base decisions on.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zom Aur posted:

Is this true? I thought that you needed another kind of counter materia to actually be able to link it with a command. I seem to remember trying it with this standard kind and it didn't work.

I could very well be wrong though.

Oh, and minor detail, I think the first level has a 20% chance of counter, not 30.

I think you're confusing Counterattack with Counter. The latter is the one that activates linked Command materia, and is the one we picked up here.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

meme posted:

Nope, even FF11- Hardest boss in the game used to be able to get taken down in sub 1 minute if you had enough Dark Knights using a combination of Blood Weapon, an ability that allows you to absorb the damage you take off an enemy, as well as Souleater which takes 10% of your hp with every attack, and a Kraken club, a super rare item that hits 2-8 times in a row. I think only FFXIV (because it sucks) doesn't have this kind of breakability.

Did FFIX have any multi-hits? The most broken things I can remember from that one are cheap guaranteed 9999 damage spells, and even with those it took long enough to kill Ozma and Necron, especially if the latter used his ridiculous status attack.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I was on a lovely computer so the game ran like rear end. That bike sequence was hilarious though because it TRIED to run at full speed, but the frames only updated once or twice a second. I eventually got stuck at the end of the second disk when the FMV crashed. I went online to look up a solution and the official square response was "welp, here's a save right after that!"

I had the same deal. It did make the bike sequence embarrassingly easy, since you had forever to respond to incoming bikes and get the timing of your strike perfect.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Serifina posted:

I never bothered with breeding them. There's a less frustrating way to acquire a that chocobo...

But to use that method you have to do the thing that's the reason why you bred the chocobo in the first place.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Serifina posted:

Um, no, I distinctly remember using the car/transport thing you get at Gold Saucer (the one Elentor's got now) to get to that. I never did any breeding... ever.

I played without FAQs, dangit. :p

Edit: Just to add, I was playing on the PC version. I don't know if that makes a difference in how easily some things are accessible via various modes of transportation.

Accessibility isn't really the main issue, it's armament.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Serifina posted:

I am officially confused. Unless you're saying you need the final summon materia to beat it. And that's just silly.

There are a bunch of things you get along the way in the breeding process that help you; you actually don't want the final summon. But the point isn't possibility so much as comparative annoyance. I'd rather reset the game a few times than beat my head against that brick wall.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wili posted:

That is the one thing, absurdly enough, that bothers my about that whole sequence. How can the Tiny Bronco take of with people standing in it's wings? Their weight and air drag should make it impossible.
It takes off just fine because it's VTOL. The question is where it gets so much forward motion and control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

darealkooky posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the graphics actually look good in their own way? I feel like if they ever do make that remake it would look worse.
It's the pre-rendered backgrounds. They're vivid, smooth, and full of detail in a way that's really difficult to pull off in real-time 3D models.

• Locked thread