Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Nice job Elentor. This has been a great read so far. Looking forward to the rest.

To me, this particular thread has highlighted how it can pay to slow down a bit. Tons of people in this thread even, who have played and completed the game multiple times, are discovering new items, weaknesses, or perspectives on the story.

Part of it, of course, is that many of us played this when we were younger. Our brains couldn't make 100% sense of it. The other part, I think, is wanting to keep making progress.

Like a good book. You can't put it down so you keep reading to the end in a marathon session. Then you find you can't remember a bunch of bits in the middle of the story.

I'm not suggesting everyone takes notes or anything, but it's nice to see how much cool stuff there is in this game (and probably most games), if we stop for a second and take it all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Looper posted:

It also started what would be refined in FFXIII: areas that consist of entirely straight lines and little else but eye candy.
Which can be perfectly fine depending on which way you lean.

Anyway, Elentor, this is awesome. Makes you wonder if we'd all enjoy the games we have a little more if we stopped for a few seconds to take things in. Think a little bit. Make some connections and stuff.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
First thought when I played this back in the day: it's like a snowy Thomas Kinkade (RIP) painting.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I always wondered. In all kinds of RPGs, there are corporations or business-like entities that end up with private armies. And oftentimes they are organizations that are quite useful or garner some respect, generally speaking. I'm not talking about the kind of thugs you get with a drug cartel or something. These are armed, trained, organized soldiers. In this game, they built a goddamn cannon.

It seems so rare that, say, the government(s) simply do not tolerate it. It seems at best you only ever end up with a ragtag group of heroes, there's rarely any sense that other people are pissed off or scared too.

(there are exceptions of course)

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
No, that's a good point and I understand that. I should have made that clearer in my post.

It was more a jumping off point for (what seems like) the majority of other games that have a similar concept in them.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Or (if I remember correctly) where if you grind too much and get the wrong boss it becomes literally impossible to proceed.
Correct in a general sense. I don't remember either, you fight an impossible boss or a recruitable character that is impossible, something like that. Either way, a healthy dose of WTF.

e: handily beaten by a bunch of other folks. Because, you know, I didn't actually check before replying :downs:

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 29, 2012

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
bsnes comes with purify.exe right in the download package. You can use it as a frontend to automagically make a copy of your game, clean it up, and create a folder for saves, savestates, etc. etc. and launch bsnes automatically. No reason to ever launch bsnes by itself really. Do it.

ANYHOODLE. Still really enjoying the LP. Crazy the amount of stuff I missed when I was younger. A bunch of stuff went right over my head. Probably just because the story was a vehicle for more materia and levels when you're that old, but still. Seeing you play a game this way makes me want to slow down a bit more as I play other games. Cheers!

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Worst derail ever. Just let it go.

Elentor, I'm constantly amazed at what I keep learning in this thread. Thanks for doing this. When all is said and done with this LP, I'm going to give it a couple months rest--let it soak in a bit, let the mind wander--and fire up FF7 for the first time in several years.

It will be glorious.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

Okay, I give up. I'm halfway through this thread and everyone keeps talking about the EU and I have no idea what that is. Surely they don't mean the European version of the game. I searched the first 15 pages and still no explanation as to what it is, and I couldn't find anything on google.

What the hell is EU an abbreviation for?

Extended Universe. All the other games and movies and comics and books and whatever that featured the cast or world of FF7.

e: f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Compression was pretty terrible back then too. I'm sure everyone remembers the awful BINK video stuff.

• Locked thread