Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Axle_Stukov posted:

Oh here we go!
I say FF7 is still a good game, it's just tarnished by it's fanbase and every retarded sequel, spin-off, and movie.

Pretty much. If it had just been another FF and never got so much attention it probably wouldn't have gotten so much backlash either. However because of its attention it also paved the way for RPGs to finally get noticed by a more mainstream audience. It never needed a sequel or movie, though. I don't think a remake would be any good, either.

I LPed this game myself a couple years ago but did it on the Penny Arcade forum as I wasn't brave enough to put it here. I kinda regret not doing so because it seems like no one ever finishes one here, and a lot of people need to give this game another look to remind them of what it was actually like without the fanbase or compilation stuff tainting their memories.

So I'm glad to see it being done by someone who likes the game, as it's a little old just reading about people tearing it apart or people erroneously calling Cloud 'emo' and whatnot. I hope you finish it, Elentor. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Precisely. The reason they made Cloud all quiet and sad in AC is because they thought that was the Cloud people would remember the best. It makes no sense because he rarely acts that way in the game.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

eating only apples posted:

Cloud is a jerk, but it's the good kind of jerk. I mean Squall is a jerk too, but he's completely unlikeable, whereas Cloud is pretty much a loveable character the whole way through.

Adus, I love how you're always the first to yell at people calling Cloud emo. Don't ever think no one notices. :3:

At this rate maybe I should just knock on individual doors while carrying pamphlets. "Are you aware of Cloud from FFVII? You see he's not really emo..."

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Joey McChrist posted:

I went past this part last night and I still don't understand what it's about/referencing. Anyone know what they're talking about/doing?

Pretty sure it's absolutely nothing. There are a lot of NPCs that say weird things without context. It's strange but on the other hand it's better than every NPC just spouting off random information like most RPGs.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Not in every case. There's world building information too. I'm just saying having some NPCs act like you caught them in the middle of a conversation is kinda refreshing as opposed to every single guy you come across just spouting random facts at you like some sort of tour guide.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I really do hate Jessie. She messes up just about everything she's assigned to do and them some. The whole getting her leg caught in the walkway is pretty bad on its own.

I figured she probably made Cloud's ID "special" by printing it on a naked photo of herself since she hasn't exactly been subtle about her crush thus far.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Elentor posted:

What would you guys want/expect/wish from a modern-day RPG?

A 'Tales of' game with a good story. The series already has pretty much the best gameplay system. The stories just need to be less predictable and anime. At least Vesperia had a cool lead character.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Lance Streetman posted:

Sephiroth. :ssh:

That's not true, though the OP says not to discuss beyond what we've seen, so I won't specify what it is, just that it's not what you say. There's one instance where it is but as far as I remember that's all.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Aeris sells "flowers" in the murky slums of a dark city. Obviously this isn't practical, so just what is she really selling? I wasn't very nice to Aeris in my LP in retrospect I kind of regret it because she's not that bad. I think I just needed someone to make jokes about and she's a bit of an easy target. She is kind of annoying though. Thinking a date is sufficient payment for bodyguard services. Not to mention when the Turks show up she yells at them not to fight not because she doesn't want to see anyone hurt, but because it might ruin the flowers.

Thanks, lady.

The slum drunk option is pretty great and is an early example of Cloud actually having a sense of humor. I suppose you could argue he's serious when he says it because he did just take a big fall, but I prefer to think he knew what he was doing.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

ArchWizard posted:

She sells flowers in Upper Midgar, where the rich people are. That's where we met her after the first bombing mission, isn't it?

Hm, maybe. Certainly didn't look very high class, though.

Murgos posted:

You wouldn't protect your girlfriend? I mean, all she does is 'date' you and what the hell is that worth?

Well that's not really the same thing.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Azure_Horizon posted:

Cloud, Yuffie, and Cid is really the best combination in the game based on Limit Breaks alone. There's just no better team.

I like this party just because they have the best lines of dialogue.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Barrett isn't the one who was in love with coal mining, though. It was Dyne. In fact, when Shinra came to Corel to put in a Mako reactor there, Barrett and all the other residents wanted it. It was Dyne who refused. To be fair, I don't think they knew how bad that was for the planet, at the time.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I like how Aeris' mother is totally cool with her always bringing back strange guys by calling them her "bodyguards". It's a pretty clever trick, if you think about it. That way the mother doesn't get mad, but actually thanks the guys for coming over.

I guess the actual argument is that Aeris is like 23 and can do what she wants, but the situation still amuses me.

Also look at all the trophies sick guy has. Must be a hell of a bowler.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Cloud must have a secret hobby on the side because he really lets himself be pushed into this pretty easily. They don't wanna bust in because they wanna "avoid commotion" but that's such a flimsy excuse. If he really was that worried about Tifa, he wouldn't care about commotion. No Aeris! Dressing like a girl is not the only way! Agh!

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
It wasn't until I replayed this a couple years ago that I realized you could move the camera while looking in the keyholes. Previously it made those scenes much weirder not being able to see anything...

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Ah you didn't put in the dialogue after Aeris puts on her new dress. It always confused me a bit. I didn't know if their response meant she looked really hot or really trashy.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
All that work to avoid "commotion" and nothing is really avoided. Cloud still reveals himself and the others beat up what few lackeys the Don had. If Cloud isn't chosen, then he's the one who beats them up.

Basically the whole cross-dressing thing was pointless.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
The extended version or whatever that came out not too long ago makes it a better movie. Still doesn't make it a good movie, but they at least give Denzel a bit of a story rather than just being there like he was in the original cut.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I'm glad you pointed out Reno just casually jumping off the pillar. I find it even more amusing given some dialogue a bit later on. You'd think they could have at least had Tseng's helicopter show up first and have him jump onto it.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Pretty much the only reason the third disc exists is because of the ending cinematic. The first disc of the game goes a bit further than halfway.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
If I had to hang around Selphie, Zell and Riona, I'd be pretty irritable too.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's not that I hate it, it's that none of it has stuck in my head at all. If I think about it, I can hum at least one piece of music from most of the FF games, except for XII and XIII. Say what you will, but for me, the music was so utterly forgettable in both of those, and since the music's usually the first thing that catches me (seriously, give me a good OST and I'll play through your game no matter how crappy it is), I wouldn't call that a good sign.

This is pretty much exactly how I felt about it. I wouldn't call it bad music by any means but it was not memorable. I can remember the battle theme, but honestly it kind of got annoying after a while. 7's music, on the other hand, stuck in my head forever and never got to the point where it was irritating.

I miss Uematsu. Lost Odyssey's soundtrack was amazing.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
People are really over-exaggerating the level of "sperg" in this thread.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Enemies use it.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
That moment where Cloud hears Sephiroth in his head is kind of annoying because it suddenly leads people to believe that the weird voice in Cloud's head is always Sephiroth.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Dauntasa posted:

Is it ever Sephiroth?

Only that one time, for the most part. There might be other instances but I can't really go into detail.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Yes YES you showed the stair dialogue. I was afraid you'd skip it after choosing the first option. Obviously, charging in really is the less painful and more badass choice, but Tifa and Barrett are amusing together. That one line in particular is, as you have appropriately put it, gold.

It's also really amusing how poor the security at Shinra HQ is. On the outside they say floors above 59 are "not easy to get to, even for employees" but that's such a goddamn lie. At least they went through the effort to show the security camera monitor sleeping.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
The Shinra Building used to be one of my favorite sections of the game, but it was more because I liked how it looked, as well as the plot stuff that went on. It definitely wasn't because of the stupid puzzles or minigames. Back in the day I never figured out how that Mayor puzzle worked, so I'd always just guess and pray I got it right.

The guard "stealth" minigame is the worst. Get seen by a guard? Start the stupid tedious thing all over. It makes no sense because you're not exactly making an effort to hide from anyone else (unless you took the stairs, but that's rendered moot as soon as you get up them), and by now you've proven you can kick the poo poo out of the guards. Why are they trying so hard to avoid these?

I can't really blame people for being annoyed trying to play through the game for the first time nowadays. It does a lot of things that were removed from RPGs for a reason.

On the plus side, this is probably the first game I played that let you flush a toilet. I'd always do it after coming out from spying on the meeting, because I thought that made being in there so long seem less conspicuous. Never mind that a burly black man, a guy with a huge sword and a girl with a huge chest are all leaving one stall at the same time.

I also feel like I should point out that a guy working out in that weight room claims to be the head of security, so there's another reason why you're getting around so easily.

Adus fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 22, 2011

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

This is the second best line in the game. Even as a kid I thought this was such a badass thing to say.

Rufus Shinra, wise in the ways of money management.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Count Bleck posted:

On the subject of FF7 though, how far are we off from the spoiler everyone knows, you know, that one.

Quite a ways still.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I always found it odd that there's a reactor in the mountains that must have been built by Shinra, but none of their own guys.. know how to get there? They have to hire a local girl for it?

Also that Zangan dude is wearing a cape. I don't trust men in capes.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
This section is great the first time. Very important to the plot as it helps flesh out who Sephiroth is and shows off his strength firsthand. The hate comes from the replays where this section becomes boring because you've seen it all before and it's really just a huge infodump that you can't mash through due to the interactive parts.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I know the models and animations aren't very complex, but it always was very obviously laughing to me. Kind of amusing to hear all the other assumptions.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
It's just you.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
He only has the breakdown after he sees the monsters. When they first get to the Jenova door, he doesn't really say anything concerning the name.

Maybe it's a common name like "Mary" in that universe...

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Aeris and Yuffie.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Rockdash posted:

I don't get it. What name did you give him? :confused:

I'm guessing it was Zack.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I think it's pretty hard to argue that Barrett is smart. I mean he leaves his 5 year old daughter to bar tend alone while he's out committing terrorist acts.

He's probably the most 'down to earth' out of the crew, though.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I used to hate Yuffie thanks to the bad first impression due to that recruitment scene. I then never used her therefore I never really realized how amusing her dialogue was. You should keep her in your party for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Simply Simon posted:

So far, I haven't played too many FF games (though I'm getting there), and I really want to experience them blind, but all those missable things make me cringe, too. Maybe that's just a special case of OCD talking, but we're all gamers here. Missing awesome stuff along the way DOES NOT FLY.

Well, then FFXIII is for you!

• Locked thread