Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I know the primary thing the clothing choices affect. Do they also affect the thing later in the game that was mentioned in a previous update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Great! Now the prologue is finally over oh wait no it's not.

This game takes forever to get rolling (compared to other series, that is *cough*finalfantasy13*cough*), but it's one of the best openings to a game there is.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

younger Cloud and Sephiroth are individual characters in the game's memory, with their own stat growths and everything, despite never gaining levels.

This actually plays into a prevalent rumor about the game and, more specifically, proves why it's not true. That's a very long way away, though.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The manual is pretty awful about spoiling the characters. Yeah, listing common Final Fantasy characters like Cid is fine, and you get most of the characters soon after they show up (if you're not an idiot). However, the manual spoils a character it really shouldn't even be showing, since it gives away a major plot point when the character shows up.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

^ For reference:

Wikipedia posted:

Type A
Best traits: Earnest, creative, sensible, reserved, patient, responsible
Worst traits: Fastidious, overearnest, stubborn, tense

Type B
Best traits: Wild, active, doer, creative, passionate, strong
Worst traits: Selfish, irresponsible, unforgiving, unpredictable

Type AB
Best traits: Cool, controlled, rational, sociable, adaptable
Worst traits: Critical, indecisive, forgetful, irresponsible, "split personality"

Type O
Best traits: Agreeable, sociable, optimistic
Worst traits: Vain, rude, jealous, arrogant

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The Prelude is present in all the main Final Fantasy games, though 13 only contains a few portions of it and 10 remixes it heavily.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

TL posted:

Where in hell is the prelude in XIII? I couldn't find it anywhere and that enraged me.

According to this, it's not in there in full, but parts are mixed into the track "The Sunleth Waterscape". I have no idea if this is true, but I doubt they would completely throw out the song.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Renoistic posted:

If that's the case it's pretty well hidden. I too was pretty miffed that they took it out.

You can hear it at 14 seconds in. It's there, but barely.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Plus, the next update should be all :3: with CHOCOBOS!!!

Elentor has to steal their special attack. This LP won't be complete without it.

For extra credit, use it to deal the "finishing blow" to the final boss. :nyan:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Cloud, Aeris, Barret for maximum multiculturalism. :japan:

Red doesn't count because he is a dog... cat... thing.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I do hope you'll be buying that house later.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

revtoiletduck posted:

God I hope Elentor's computer comes back to life soon.

He got so frustrated he almost hit it with a hammer, but he restrained himself when he remembered all his Internet friends he'd be letting down. Unfortunately, his monitor fell over on it right after. The video card flew out, fell down his front porch, and landed in a puddle, and now the LP will have to go on with the far-inferior integrated graphics. It's a shame; it was the best card on the market, and way more expensive than everything else in that computer.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

You know, if you think about it, the Shinra guys are right on one point.

This really is their fault.

If Tifa hadn't been hiding from reality to live in her fantasy world where there was this big strong knight to protect her and beat the bad guys, if Barret had just taken control and seen that Cloud was bad news. If Barret hadn't given Cloud the Black Materia, then Meteor wouldn't be about to kill them all.

Actually, I'd say the only one involved who's blameless is Cloud. Because he clearly doesn't have any control over his actions.

Not to mention that Tifa and Barret, i.e. the ones they're executing, are actual terrorists.

The only thing I see as unfair would be if they don't execute Hojo as well. He's more responsible for all of this than anybody. It makes sense that they wouldn't want to execute him publicly, but he's a massive liability to pretty much everyone. Not only that, but he hid information that could have been used to prevent all this from happening. Even if he still had some useful skills, I wouldn't trust him enough to keep him around.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The only thing Hojo is competent at is being evil. He's basically the only character in this game that's just purestrain evil. Jenova's mindless, Sephiroth wants to become a god, Cloud is being remote controlled by Jenova/Sephiroth, Rufus wants money and power, Rufus's lackeys have anger management issues, Don Corneo wanted sex, Barret's an idiot, Tifa has some serious mental problems, etc. But Hojo is just doing horrible things either because he feels like it or to eliminate the competition so that he can do more horrible things.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Valiantman posted:

If I were to wager a guess, I'd say it's the accomplished, rugged Shin'Ra pilot we're dragging with us. :clint:

The fact that he shares a first name with a ton of other airship pilots in the Final Fantasy series is purely coincidence.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

Hitting certain story progression flags triggers new Fort Condor battles, but the backtracking required gets steadily worse and worse. Imagine backtracking all the way from Rocket Town, BEFORE getting the L'il Bronco, for like a mega elixir or something

I may be mistaken, but I recall that at one point you have to backtrack, return, trigger a cutscene that removes everybody in your party but Cloud, then backtrack again.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

VagueRant posted:

I think Elentor explained that the use of the word clone lead to a lot of this confusion though. You gotta wonder how this game would be with a retranslation. (If only Jeremy Blaustein would do it.)

All they need to do for a re-release that doesn't suck is retranslate it and use the PSX music. How is that so hard?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

With Cait Sith talking about how he's unique despite being remote controlled, I thought he was autonomous, but Reeve could take control whenever he wants and communicate with the party directly.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

I think that actually is what it's supposed to be, but both the spriters and Amano did a very poor job of not making it look like a rain poncho.

Apparently Celes never thinks to take it off so he can be more comfortable while he's bed-ridden.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Xander77 posted:

There has to be some semi-obscure but recognizable "rain rain go away don't come back another day" equivalent for lightning.

Can someone explain la-li etc to me? (I'm familiar with the usage in MGS, I just never got the meme that there's something special about the syllables)

My guess is that Japan doesn't have a way to pronounce the letter "l". Thus, even if everybody made the connection "la-li-lu-le-lo" = the Patriots = the big bad organization that's running the world, it would still be entirely unrepresentable in Japanese. Sort of like how the name of God was censored in Hebrew texts by removing the vowels.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

They'll be using Aeris in the final battle. Also, the run is three hours long. Needless to say, there will be glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Kratos was a rad dad. He was also a little sad. But then he turned bad and made his son mad. Krad dad.

• Locked thread