Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

quote:

What would you guys want/expect/wish from a modern-day RPG?

I'm going to break the mold here and say I want a fantastic linear experience. Sort of like FF13, except not like FF13 at all. The days of getting lost on the world map looking for some small town are over for me, I want a game that's highly fine tuned as a result of it being linear. Mostly, it avoids the leveling grind. I want an RPG that's difficult and challenging for reasons that make it actually difficult or challenging. Using the right skills at the right time, (if possible) getting rid of RNG, having complete control over your units (possibly positioning but mostly skill selection). The only thing deciding if you win or not is you. Not whether or not that Ultimate Attack you can only use once a battle crit or not, or if you grinded on generic easy enemies for an hour, or if you found the secret weapon and just hit him with it until he died.

It's turn-based combat, you can strategically use moves and completely control the fight. I don't know why this hasn't been taken advantage of. Really, why do we even need experience? Just level up after each boss is fought so the developers can control the user's game experience. No respawning enemies, you can see them on the world map (which in my mind is sort of like FF12/13), once you kill them they're dead. They're only there to obstruct your forward path, not to kill over and over for xp. The bosses are hard as gently caress. I want bosses to loving destroy me, and I want to customize my characters with what the game gives me and use my skills effectively to beat it.

In terms of story, I care about that less than characterization. A good cast of characters that feel real are the most important thing to me in a game. Sahz comes to mind as a great character if you want an example from an RPG. Or Zelos from Tales of Symphonia.

Elephantgun fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Psion posted:

Honestly you're best getting the PSX version and using epsxe or pSX to run it. FF7 was such an early title - it came out before the Dual Shock, even, I believe - that it's pretty obnoxious to get running but it's quite possible. Plenty of guides are out there, etc.

I mean the PC mods sound neat, but the FF7 and 8 ports are seriously among the worst ports ever written, there is only so much polishing you can do.

I have my FF7 game disks for the PC still and yeah, it's almost impossible to get to run correctly. All of the sprites and 3d renders have this weird black texture around all of them for me.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

quote:

Chapter 10 - Transgender Megathread

:golfclap: fantastic title

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

It seems the one defining factor in every bad character design is showing off your nuts.

I don't understand the logic of an outfit where you have a big feather shoulderpad and loose sleeve covering up your right arm but leave your nuts uncovered in a skintight one-piece pajama suit. Like, OK, I understand it's a different world and fashion is different but it just makes no logical sense.

I understand Form is above Functionality in the world, but that doesn't mean that Functionality doesn't matter. Look at his character designs for FF10. Tidus has half-overalls with 2 different pant leg lengths with an insane amount of chains and layers. Look at Rikku. She's wearing shorts and a t-shirt esssentially with some armbands for accents. I look at Rikku's outfit, Yuna's or Wakka's and think "yeah, that's something someone would wear". Sure, it looks a little ridiculous but you can see the functionality behind it with Wakka. And with Rikku, it's not the outfit itself that makes it look foreign, it's the accents. Weird armbands. That sort of frayed-upwards shorts with the T-shirt that's kind of a turtleneck but not really, alongside some weird hair. It looks different enough to tell us it's another world but it also looks possible and plausible.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

quote:

Oh god, I'm getting flashbacks of every 2004 message board signature.

Content: a lot of people seem to think of Sephiroth as this really effective, cool villain. I never really saw it, he just had no personality and I didn't find the "decent soldier turned evil" believable.

Elephantgun fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 5, 2011

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

:eng101:

Inherent statuses that never wear off from accessories are done by giving that status and by making the wearer immune to the status. The Reflect Ring, for example, gives an immunity to Reflect and has the character start with Reflect, so it's a permanent reflect.

Added Effect+Time on armor makes the wearer immune to Haste in addition to the expected Slow and Stop. Why.

Haste makes the rate at which Barrier and MBarrier deplete double.

Big Guard inflicts Haste, Barrier, and MBarrier so the bars deplete faster. That would be a reason to use Added Effect+Time... if Haste weren't just so good.

Does this cause the same bug that exists in Final Fantasy 6? Where Immunities are set at the beginning of the battle, so if you enter a battle dead/paralyzed and are restored you'll just be permanently immune to that status without it on? It doesn't really matter, I'm just curious and never played FF7 too much.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

The Xenogears demo gave you two party members in the mountains, and they even lampshade the fact that they won't be in there in the real game.

I remember the Legend of Legaia demo had Noa in the first town explain how she wouldn't be there in the original game. Same with the other character you get.

I had the demo for FFVII too, I remember Tifa being in my party. Not Aeris.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

I'd just show 'em all, switch up your party when you get bored. Especially Aeris. Nobody really uses Aeris. I guess it's 10 times easier to just hold attack until the battle's over and that's not really her thing, man.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Just name everyone Sephiroth.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

The GBA version of FF4 is perfectly fine so long as you don't farm experience. Playing through the game normally is enough to keep the difficulty up there. A lot of Final Fantasy games are like that, you make a bee-line towards the end stopping for sidequests and it's still difficult. You dick around fighting random battles near a healing pot for an hour and the game is a cakewalk. The SNES version is just as good. An English translation of the Japanese version of the game is probably the most enjoyable. I don't believe there's an English SNES "Hardmode" version.

But yeah, definitely recommending at least FFTactics in terms of spin-off games. While there are plenty of good ones (like the FFT sequels and Crystal Chronicles) and decent ones (like Mystic Quest), FFTactics is by far the best.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I like this one myself.

Sorry guys, I think there's a clear winner here

Either way the whole "I'm joining your party for absolutely no reason!!!!" really aggravated me to no end. Still does. gently caress off, Cait Sith.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

To be fair, the idea of the motorcycle race being in hyperspeed makes me giggle like an idiot. I'd totally play that sequence again if it went by at three times the normal speed; it's not like in a normal playthrough the HP hit you take is enough to ruin games.

I have the PC version of the game (Sadly, the case is in pretty bad condition because I wasn't aware of collectors value so it's not worth nearly as much), and the motorcycle on my computer runs at WAY faster than 3x speed. I can't speak for everyone else but it was at least 10x. I lost almost immediately after starting.

Probably the funniest thing to me now is that when installing the game, it warns "Warning! This game requires a very fast computer that can handle running Directx 5!" Ah, the good old days :allears:

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

I'm not sure if it's been posted about, but if anyone wants to play with it a glitch in the PC version (both original and Steam) was discovered recently that allows you go anywhere at any time. Discovered like 6 months ago. If you die at any point in the game and load another save where you're near a forest with Yuffie and fight and beat her, you'll be transported to wherever you were in the other save with your current party. This leads to a bunch of interesting glitches, it's called the Yuffie Warp. I don't really know the particulars of the glitch, but it definitely allows you to keep Aeris and do some weird poo poo like have an invisible submarine.

I'm not going to link it because pretty much every video is spoiler city, but just search for Yuffie Warp on youtube. It's kind of bonkers. Just thought I'd make the thread aware!

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

waah posted:

We need to page the girl who broke FF6 and have her destroy FF7 with the yuffie warp.

I might! I don't think FF7 is quite as broken as FF6, I'd have to make a Let's Break Megathread (which I've been wanting to do for a while anyways). There's just not enough content. When it comes down to it, you can have an invisible submarine, Aeris at any point in the game, and at the moment not much else.

In terms of how these are discovered, a lot of glitches get discovered because of speedrunning, especially the FF6/FF7 sequence breaking glitches. Under what other circumstances will you go that long without saving?

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Guess it depends on how the game handles parties that you shouldn't have. Like theoretically you could have parties without Cloud when he should definitely be there, or some party when it should only be Barret after getting capture by Shinra at the start of Disk 2, or having your entire team before even meeting Aeris, or I dunno.

Pretty sure it depends on the cutscene. I know there's some areas with cut Aeris dialog and if she's in your party she talks. Sometimes the game just freezes. I don't know what happens when you have people you're not suppose to have, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Chuu posted:

I don't know the rules for speed running; but I thought you started from a "fresh" cart i.e. if you wanted to abuse this glitch you'd have to get to Emerald Weapon in one game then restart with the timer running.

Eh. It depends on the game. For things like the Emerald Glitch they'd probably have Emerald% and Glitchless%. Not sure though, I don't really know the game

• Locked thread