Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Definitely echoing the "best part about FFVII was Midgar!" feelings.

Maybe, some day, we'll get a dystopic jRPG entirely set in a massive, world-destroying metropolis.

Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Resonance of Fate fits some of those requirements. The fact that it's also a really fun game doesn't hurt it much either.

This is true, but I'm kind of turned off by the artstyle, the repetitive battle system, and some of the game's really, REALLY ridiculous moments.

It's a good attempt, though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fedule posted:

Nothing like people to ruin a good thing.

Let's be fair here. There's enough bad stuff in Final Fantasy VII that it undermines itself, anyway. But we'll be seeing that sooner or later in the LP.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Rainbow.

(This reply is © The White Dragon, 2011)

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 30, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Cuchulain posted:

I played through this with RAINBOW windows intentionally. If you can't, you not as much of a man as I was when I was twelve. :colbert:

I still say FF7 is actually a very good game. It's fanbase is terrible and it lead to the spiraling ruination of the Final Fantasy series, but it's still a good game. One of the things it does really well is the main cast, but in a very different way then FFVI did.

FFVI had a large party of fairly well fleshed out characters, fighting to save themselves and later their entire world from destruction. They all have little arcs, overcome their mistakes, shortcoming, mind control issues, and get their act together to fight the good fight. They eventually fail, and the world is blown 99% right the gently caress up. But they're still a big happy family(minus one) of successful heroes in the end.

In Final Fantasy Seven, your party is the exact opposite. I'm not going to spoil later characters, but everyone in the party is a broken human being who has no business being a hero at all.

Our Antagonist, Cloud, has been on screen for less then twenty minutes, he has already proven he is anti-social, totally uncaring, a military deserter, and apparently has psychotic episodes on a regular basis. His weapon of choice is less a sword, or more a sharpened boat oar. As it will later turn outhis background makes him even worse.

Barret, on the other hand, is hilarious. After years and years of having every single Final Fantasy cast include nothing but Aryan super models and things that aren't human at all, Square decides to add a little diversity to the cast. They do this by placing as many minority demographics as they can into one character, and call it a day. Keep a little tally of all the minority groups Barret falls into as we learn more about him: it's hysterical.

I did a big breakdown of the cast for another site years ago, I'll post the whole thing once we've met everybody if Elentor doesn't mind. The cast of Final Fantasy VII are the worst people you could possibly turn into an adventuring party.
One of the larger issues of this cast of broken characters is that some of them are way less fleshed out than characters from the previous game, which is kinda sad since you'd expect Square to learn how to create some larger character arcs.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Stuff like the Sector 7 Pillar & slums, the Train Graveyard, that 'Dark City' interim section... it's stuff like that that makes Midgar so iconic. And the rest of the game's environments so disappointing.

They really could have made the whole game in Midgar. It's just so loving cool.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

anakha posted:

Wouldn't that have ended up with the environment being too 'linear', like the complaints about FFXIII were?
Depends on how they went about it. If you took all the assets used for the rest of the world and focused them all in Midgar, you'd have a much, MUCH larger city a la something like the Tower in Resonance of Fate.

Square of 1997 was a lot more free-form in gameplay design than they are now.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Captain Bravo posted:

Plus, midgar is an enormous loving city. You've got the rich, well-guarded upper plate, the impoverished, thief-filled slums, a mountain-sized castle where the antagonists are, all kinds of poo poo.

Hell, you see only, what, THREE of the seven sectors of the city? And even then, you don't even see all of each of those sectors, only parts.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Iggy Johnson posted:

Don't the Materia clone themselves, albeit at their lowest level, when you reach Max level? Meaning you can basically Max and sell Any as many times as you need to?

Yep. It becomes an infinite loop of $$.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

George posted:

Ah, the last FF game to actually move swiftly until FFXII. The menus and battles all flow so smoothly, and the environments all lean heavily on the music for atmosphere.

It's funny how everyone talks about this game as the start of a new era, because to me it's always been the end of the old one. Look beyond the surface and it has way more in common with FFVI than FFVIII.

FFVII was also my first anime, really. I still think it did a lot of things really inventively, and had a lot of heart for a blockbuster. We're all talking about how the whole game should have been Midgar, and it's true that I went into it expecting that to be the case and thinking the game would be a lot darker, but some of the later towns have a lot to recommend them.

I would argue FFIX very much relies on an environment-music connection. Moreso than VII, actually.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Everything I know about Rio de Janeiro has come from a book called Laughter Out of Place about domestic working women in Rio's shantytowns and how men are allowed to be sexually transgressive (including going homo) but women are not and are pure and innocent and all this stuff

so please, indulge me more about stuff besides this. Also, Elentor, do you believe Brazil is a racial democracy?

don't really answer this, god I hate anthropology classes sometimes

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Elentor posted:

I'm not sure why someone would say "nobody" when the majority of the people in this forums seems to love FFIX's soundtrack above others.

I've seen people claim that IX's soundtrack is weak as hell. Of course, they're the same type of person who dislikes IX overall...

and those are just bad people.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

S-Alpha posted:

Hah. Be glad I don't go into more detail on the series. Actually, I should really be the glad one there. Because I'm sure I'd get probated/banned just on principle with my rankings of the games.

If you did, I'm sure RentCavalier would trek on in here to sperglord about FFXII.

And then... and then it begins.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Elentor posted:

What would you guys want/expect/wish from a modern-day RPG?

Honestly, the Shadow Hearts series really nailed what I want from a modern-day RPG. Slick style, mindblowing music, perfect gameplay, incredible art, and it's all just plain fun.

Aside from that, though, the SMT series has also shown how to do an RPG set in modern times, with its most notable example being SMT: N, which subverts 99% of all RPG tropes by having the world end in the first thirty minutes.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Screaming Idiot posted:

Then you'll hate when we tell you that Edgar and Sabin are actually clones of Kefka and that Celes is actually a man.

I hear Terra is a hermaphrodite rapist.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Lance Streetman posted:

I wasn't aware that Cavia made FF6.

It was their first title, actually. It's a common myth that Square would produce such a good game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Elentor posted:

It's not really a hassle as much as that ancient forest sidequest :suicide:

Guh. That whole place seems almost not even worth it half the time.

Then I end up doing it anyway.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

resurgam40 posted:

I don't hate FFXII... :unsmith:

Yes, I too am an FXII lover, and never really... well, no, that's a lie, I DO understand the hate for it. Vaan is an insufferable twat of a child who had absolurely no bearing on the story (I won't say he has no purpose at all, but he was a late addition to the game and it shows); the story was a bit slow and involved and was essentially Star Wars by a slightly more competent writer but without the lightsabers, Force powers, or Wookies; and the script went a bit crazy with the faux Middle English style. But it's in my top Final Fantasies because it just blended together well for me. The combat system grew on me, I LOVED the hunting minigame, there was no drat love interest shoehorned in with the main character, everyone ignored Vaan just as much as I, and at least they tried to differentiate the world by adding accents, which is something I think should be played with more. Come on, these are huge worlds in RPGs here; you expect me to believe they all speak the same language in the same way? Come on. Also, it had Balthier. That alone would have redeemed it for me.

And what the hell, as long as I'm digging a hole for myself, I liked Xenogears too. The script was clunky as heck, it was obvious we were only getting a part of some huge epic story, and the second disc was unfinished because everyone at Square decided Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was going to make them all rich, but drat it, it had charm! And it had a GREAT soundtrack, it was obvious someone put in a lot of thought into the symbolism, and the battle system was interesting at least.

FFXII is basically ye Olde Englishe (well, technically, Elizabethan English) Star Wars, and for that I just kind of fell asleep during all of its plot. It really didn't attempt to be anything aside from what it was, and it didn't help that the music sounded John Williams-y, too.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

See, I have lots of holes in my memory about FF12's plot and it comes out every time I discuss it, so lately I've tried to discuss it less and less.

However, I can discuss why it was left with a lot of holes: there was just so much nothing between them--some folks say, "well there were amazing landscapes and monsters and holy poo poo I got my poo poo kicked in and it was awesome!", but I say, "I played it on an 8" CRT from the 80s and I hate losing to a stupid fuckin' machine"--so as you can see, for me, all the locales were essentially pointless filler between plot events. And there was so much of it that you completely forget what you were actually doing in the meantime.

I'm actually enjoying FFXII more by watching it in an LP with people who know what they're doing instead of... actually playing the game. That's a testament to its quality, I suppose.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

George posted:

Only in French. The British pronunciation doesn't have a silent S, and the game uses British English. Deal with it.

This makes sense if the majority of the voice actors were actually British, but they aren't.

Look at a game like Drakengard II, where its voice actors were all British (and as such you have pronunciations like "leftenant" for lieutenant), but it's stupidly jarring to have actual British pronunciations of things like Marquissssss when there is an inconsistency in terms of the version of English all the VAs use.

But even in Britain people say it both ways. And we also say "mar-kee" in American English, so it's not exclusively French, either.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 2, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I '5'ed this thread purely for the ASOIAF references. Keep them coming.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I would criticize you for this, but I'm a habitual yuffie user, and she seems to get quite a bit of hate too. So you can keep playing with your terrible character and I won't say a word about how awful your taste is, despite that character being absolutely worthless in battle and story.

Cloud, Yuffie, and Cid is really the best combination in the game based on Limit Breaks alone. There's just no better team.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I wasn't talking about her final limit break. Her second limit break on the 3rd level, Doom of the Living is better than Barret's Limits. I mean, you could use Tifa, but her Roulette mechanic is kind of annoying. I'd rather have straight damage than a gimmick. Plus, Yuffie's final weapon doesn't have a weird loving gimmick that has to do with HP values like Tifa's does.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

eating only apples posted:

At least my character isn't entirely optional and pointless :colbert:

But she's also loving awesome.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Bocc Kob posted:

Aren't Barret and the rest of AVALANCHE huge hypocrites? They're complaining about reactors harming the planet and plotting terrorist actions to disable them, but they're based in a part of Midgar where daily life wouldn't be possible without constant electricity. They should move out and live in the woods or something before they act all morally superior. Cloud is right to be a dick to them. :argh:

However, the point they're trying to make is all this life-sucking electricity isn't necessary to actually live.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Bocc Kob posted:

The number of lights, televisions, and computers in Tifa's bar alone argue otherwise. :v:

Unless they're using some alternative energy source not mentioned yet, it's like someone saying meat is murder then going out to eat barbecue.

Well, no, I don't think any alternative energy sources were thought of just yet in FFVII's universe, but that there must be an alternative to killing the Earth just to power your TV.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dauntasa posted:

Mako power has only been around for like 50ish years at the start of FF7, if I remember correctly. Before that, they used coal.

And as we can see from the wide shot of Midgar in the intro, it's clearly ruining every piece of land around it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Bocc Kob posted:

Their job of crippling a major metropolis with no evident plans to fix it or make amends to all the people's lives their ruining or endangering by shutting off the electricity. The poor who live below the plates will be affected the most. Is AVALANCHE going to help them evacuate the city? Have they taken any measures to keep the slums safe from nocturnal predators once the only light source is gone? Barret is clearly a big jerk who gets his kicks by picking on people weaker than him, even his fellow terrorists. Yet when it comes to actually placing the bombs, he insists his hired flunkie does it under the convenient excuse of not trusting him. Is it that or is he planning to frame Cloud as the real perpetrator while he cuts a deal with the authorities? A rogue ex-SOLDIER trying to take revenge on his former employees with a series of terror attacks would be a juicy story to sell to the media. Barret is going to be revealed as the game's true villain! :arghfist::mad:

Sometimes sacrifices are necessary to ensure the prosperity of future generations... at least when it comes to protecting the environment. I wouldn't use this line of reasoning anywhere else.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is them who are forcing us to kill indiscriminately.

If you've seen how controlled and regimented Midgar is by now, I'd say they really have no other choice to make a difference. Sometimes, anarchy is the best option.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Daniel Thorburn posted:

How awesome would it be if instead of being Terrorists the plot was that AVALANCHE was a political party campaigning against Mako? Barret is the candidate for mayor and you have to hand leaflets to the citizens of Midgar and collect small donations. When you go to the Shnira tower it's to hand in the nomination papers.

That sounds like a game for the Tea Party.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Third Murderer posted:

Corporations growing so powerful they replace the government completely is pretty common in cyberpunk dystopia stuff.

Hell, it's happening nowadays, just not on the same scale.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Scalding Coffee posted:

I would get pissed when playing FFVI and my guys would sometimes block spells I cast on them because their M.Block is so high.

Midgar is so much larger than a stadium, even if buildings ignore proportions. What areas in each sector does the game even cover?

I think you only see Sectors 5, 6, and 7 in the game. But even then, you can bet that's only a portion of each of those Sectors.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dauntasa posted:

You see 4, too, at one point. And reactor 1 was in sector one, obviously.

In terms of actual exploration, though, you only really see three sectors. Any others are kind of perusals, at best.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

No, but we'd be making GBS threads ourselves with shame, I'd bet, over Aeris' faux-pre-Modern-English-British voice acting and Cloud's over-depressed sighs.

"That ho doth bitch too much!"

magick

magic with a loving k

URGH

WHY DO I HATE YOU SO MUCH EXTRA UNNECESSARY LETTER

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

KataraniSword posted:

...I never connected to you on a level so deep, Azure. :swoon:

I either inspire deep loathing or an unquestionably deep affection from people.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go reassign my Technicks (... techNIQUES. TECHNIQUES. TECHNIQUESTECHNIQUESTECHNIQUES!) while enjoying the aesthetick beauty of atmospherick musick.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ddegenha posted:

Funny related story, the other week I was down in Oregon and stopped at a place promising "Chinese Quisine." I wasn't sure what exactly Quisine was, but taking a page from from the book of Quina I tried it and found it to be delicious.

Whoa! Where were you in Oregon, dude?! I live in Eugene :)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Awesome. Grant's Pass is a nice little town. Though I dunno if you actually passed through here unless you were going north to Albany/Corvallis, Salem, or Portland. Did you head up that way? Grant's Pass is a good like 70-100 miles south of Eugene.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Elentor posted:

You know what is better than a double update?

MORE man love?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

El Belmondo posted:

We all know that this thread is going to finish before that FF13 thread. :v:

Which is kind of funny because FFXIII is arguably easier than FFVII, even.

But yeah there is no possible universe where FFIX is worse than FF8, seriously. That's like dividing by zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Bocc Kob posted:

What is there to like about 9? It had awful characters, a boring and at times ridiculous plot, the worst minigame ever, and forgettable music. I tried playing it a second time a few years ago to see if I'd like it more than the first time and didn't even make it past disc 1. Having Trance build like a limit break gauge, then being forced to use it in the battle it fills in or losing it completely was a crappy idea. :argh:

The last three updates of FF7 alone are better than the entirety of FF9.

Dude, seriously, let's take it outside. I want to fight you, mano-a-mano.

I'll even do a COME AT ME BRO stance just before we brawl.

• Locked thread