Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Final Fantasy 7 was the first Playstation game I ever played, and boy did I play the poo poo out of it. I think I've got 2 or 3 level 99 files, and a whole bunch of other runs. Havebn't played it in a while though, so I'll enjoy watching this LP.

Anyway, can we not talk about the subsequent ruining of this game, and just pretend that we're in an alternate universe where Square is run by people who care more about the integrity of their games than they do about money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Psalmanazar posted:

It's bizarre that they'd make a film about it, and do spin-offs, and include Cloud in every cross over they can, but they won't remake it.

They're too busy remaking FF4 for every single platform in existence to be worried about 7

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
Two updates in, and I'm already feeling the urge to replay this game.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
Alright, so I have officially started replaying this game now. First time in about 4 or 5 years. I just blew up the first reactor and the nostalgia is just immense right now.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
Playing through this game again, I realize I had forgotten how great Aeris's theme is. I can only think of two times where it plays in the game, but it really is an emotional track. This whole game probably has one of the best soundtracks in gaming, really.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
Going back to FF7 discussion, are you going to be getting all the enemy skills in the game? Or do you consider them too broken to really use much? Not that this game is hard to begin with, but I had personally forgotten how much beta in particular destroys the early game.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Aqualung is better for that, a bit easier to get and very very few enemies resist water.

Yeah, but beta can be gotten as soon as you leave midgar. I don't remember being able to get aqualung until the end of disc one.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

eating only apples posted:

Cait Sith

I would criticize you for this, but I'm a habitual yuffie user, and she seems to get quite a bit of hate too. So you can keep playing with your terrible character and I won't say a word about how awful your taste is, despite that character being absolutely worthless in battle and story.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
It actually makes perfect sense for Shinra to have a private army, seeing as most of the towns and provinces in this world don't seem to have any organized police or military systems in place.

Reactors are very big targets that create very pretty explosions when they are destroyed, as we have seen by the terrorist bombing we witnessed before. As a matter of fact, we have personally been involved in two terrorist attacks on Shinra property in as many days. Once we start exploring the world, we will see that Shinra has to build one of these reactors outside any town that wants in on the whole electricity thing. Leaving these things undefended in the middle of wilderness is just painting a target on them for any would-be terrorist who wants to make a name for themselves, or even rival companies who I'm sure would love to take a peak inside the things to figure out how to replicate the technology. So Shinra needs it's military to protect these things, and they built a military powerful enough that the sheer military might would discourage anyone from even attempting to attack one.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

Honeybee Inn - Honestly, this is an incredible theme. I think it only plays in the Inn, but don't quote me on that.

There's one other time I think that this plays in the game that I can think of, and that is the Mog house game at the gold saucer. I'm pretty sure the programmers did that as a joke.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

You know what is better than a double update?

A bondage dungeon?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lava Lamp posted:

I must be crazy but I thought there was a platinum blonde wig too if you really beat Big Bro by a lot during the squatting game.

There is, but it's only available during New Game+ and let's you play as Sephiroth for the rest of the game. It's really tough to do, but not nearly as difficult as beating the running man to visit the Sky Temple and get the Triforce in Ocarina of Time was. Getting a Rainbow Chocobo though, now that was a challenge.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

Like I said, there are five bosses in the game who can start under a back-attack. It requires a very specific situation.

First the boss must have a specific flag turned on, a flag that allows him to be back-attacked, but not allow you to escape. It's suspected that the bosses that have that flag are just a programmer's oversight.

The thing is that you can only be back-attacked if you're in a place where random attacks occur. Not all bosses are in such places. As such, there are many other bosses with that flag turned on but, alas, you can't ambush them.

I hate you for posting this, because now all I have been thinking about since the update is what other bosses fit. I can think of three others besides Aps, but I can't figure out the fifth, and I don't want to look it up until I think I have them all. This is going to drive me nuts for the rest of the night. I'm sure I' forgetting the most obvious one too, because sometimes my brain just likes to piss me off like that.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
At least keep the rainbow through Midgar, after we leave we can have another vote. And this time maybe people will actually cast a vote, rather than just complain about the outcome long after the votes are counted. That kind of poo poo may be alright in the real world, but this is an internet forum dammit! We take our voting seriously.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
So when I started replaying this game, I decided that I wasn't going to grind levels or limits or AP, since I always end up doing that and I wanted a bit of a challenge this time. Flash forward to me having just finished the optional area near the end of Disc 1, and my characters are all over level 40, I have three characters with all of their limits and the others all have their second lvl 3 limits, and I have quake 3, bio 3, fire 3, ice 3, lightening 3, regen, esuna, mbarrier, and a whole bunch of other spells that I shouldn't have for probably half a disc longer. I don't know what is is about this game, but apparently I can't not powerlevel when I play it.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
Rufus is probably one of my favorite NPCS in a game. I can't say too much of why due to spoilers, but I suppose I just appreciate having a competent person standing in for the archetype he represents.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

:eng101:

Inherent statuses that never wear off from accessories are done by giving that status and by making the wearer immune to the status. The Reflect Ring, for example, gives an immunity to Reflect and has the character start with Reflect, so it's a permanent reflect.

Added Effect+Time on armor makes the wearer immune to Haste in addition to the expected Slow and Stop. Why.

Haste makes the rate at which Barrier and MBarrier deplete double.

Big Guard inflicts Haste, Barrier, and MBarrier so the bars deplete faster. That would be a reason to use Added Effect+Time... if Haste weren't just so good.

What would happen if you had Added Effect Time and the Sprint Shoes equipped? Would the character start off in haste or not?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Saradiart posted:

It doesn't really double it. Barrier and Mbarrier just last a set number of turns and your turns come faster.

I thought?

No, the two barrier bars next to a characters name slowly drain at a steady pace, regardless of whether you take a turn or just stand around doing nothing.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Niton posted:

Here's the various names for the highest level of Protect in different games in the series:

FF1: Protera
FF11: Protectra
FF12: Protectga
FF13: Protectra
FFT: Protectja

Within 3 games released in a fairly short timespan (FF12, FFT, FF13), Protect (2) has 3 names. Shellra's just as bad.

Consensus: gently caress yoooooooooooouuuuuuu.

What's even worse is that it's not even consistent within individual games. For instance, in FF12 the Cure line goes

Cure
Cura
Curaga
Curaja

Where - and -ga denote increasingly more powerful spells, but the -ja is a powered up target-all spell. I think the other elemental magics worked the same way. So it would make sense for Protect's second form to be Protectja due to it being a target-all spell as well. Making up spell suffixes for a game series is a nice way to add a bit of flavor when done correctly, but the lack of internal consistency makes one miss the days when it would all be localized into a number being tacked onto the end.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cloud, Tifa, Aeris

Swap Tifa with Yuffie once you get her

Swap Aeris with Cid after the second Jenova fight

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yuffie was always a preferred character for me because of her dialogue, along with being one of the better fighters in the game. She also has the best reaction to the end of disc one. I've always suspected that most of the hate she gets is due to how annoying other characters of her archetype can be.

As an aside, blacking out these names is getting kind of tedious. Is it really necessary to do. As said before, they're in the game manual.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

The strategy guide never mentioned anything about ultimate weapon gimmicks. I only knew of Cloud's because his sword looks fugly when he gets weak.

Yet another advantage the Versus guide has over Brady's official one.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tengames posted:

When I was playing though this game cloud was just getting his 2nd level of limit breaks after this ship segment, so you've obviously grinded a lot more then I did. Maybe I was just extremely underleveled but even with most of my character using their basic limits i never had any trouble with this game.

Getting Limits early doesn't really take as much grind as you would think, so long as you know how the limit system works and focus on growing them during the fights you would normally encounter throughout the game.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

CmdtCarpenter posted:

Cloud also seems to have forgotten which side of the blade is the sharp part judging from his grip on his sword

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
I always took the treasure from those drat chicks. Sure, I'll never need ten phoenix downs, but I'll never need a bunch of birds either.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wipfmetz posted:

Reno turned into some comic relief guy in AC while he's a mass murderer in FF7 by destroying the support pillar.

And Barret, who provides a good deal of comic relief for the hero side, committed mass murder by blowing up a reactor in the middle of a densely populated area. Granted, Reno killed more, but that doesn't mean Barret should get a free ride.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zifnab posted:

Yesssss Cait Sith is the best character in this game. He must be in your party at ALL TIMES

Put him and Barrett together and it's like a buddy cop movie

What is wrong with you? Why are you trying to sabotage such a great LP with advice like this?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Schwartzcough posted:

Who the gently caress thought bringing Cait Sith back as a central character was a good idea?

The same people who thought Dirge of Cerberus was a good idea to begin with. It's pretty clear they weren't exactly the best judges of quality.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Captain Bravo posted:

While technically correct, that does a disservice to the meaning behind Six Flags, as while Georgia does indeed have a state flag, it's never had it's own flag as a sovereign nation. So it's only ever flown the flags of five nations.

Well, technically Georgia under the Articles of Confederation was a sovereign entity unto itself, so that Georgia flag is legitimate.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

ddegenha posted:

But wait. His father was half woman too, so as the offspring of a full woman and a half woman he must actually be three quarters woman.

That's not how genetics works. You have to make a Punnet square. His mother was full-woman and has father was half-woman. This means there's a 25% chance that Elentor is half-woman and a 75% chance that he is full-woman.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

Speed Square Changes

Apparently, they added a propellor to the Zeppelin in the PC version that gives you 4960+ points if you shoot it, making the whole thing very easy if you know about it beforehand.

Unfortunately I can't confirm it. The one video showing it looks horrible. Does anyone else know about this?

I don't know about the PC version, but I do have access to both of the players guides that were written for the Playstation version. According to the Verus Books guide, there is a "30000+ ultra bonus" that you can get if you "fire at the propeller and never let up! If you manage to hit it enough your score will go nuts". Brady's guide lists the points value for the "Zeppelin Engine" as ????.

Personally I've never been able to hit it correctly, so I don't know for sure what the actual score bonus is or where exactly on the Zeppelin it is. It seems like a fairly small hitbox where ever it is.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Hey, I thought she was a robot too!

Same here. I could swear I once saw a 3d rendering of her with a robotic face, but I have no idea where I would have seen it or if I'm even remembering that correctly.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

The angels are coming for you, but listen, your life could depend on this: don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast, faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and *don't blink*! Good luck.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dragonatrix posted:

Rufus cast Barrier on Dark Nation way back in Shinra HQ (for all the good that did) but I can't remember any other boss or regular enemy offhand that casts a buff. I'm sure there's one or two, because there just has to be, but I can't think of what they would be or if they even exist.

The final boss casts wall periodically, and I think one of the bosses in that tower in wutai casts one of the barrier spells, but that's all I can think of off hand besides Rufus.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Barret may have killed hundreds of thousands in giant explosions but dammit it was for the planet!

Killing thousands of innocent people in an unprovoked terrorist attack is one thing, but Cid is verbally abusive to his wife, and that is flat out unacceptable. I mean, we have to hold our secondary videogame protagonists to some sort of standard. It doesn't matter if he has some of the best moments in the story, or if his character arc is probably the best resolved of the party, or that he has the best theme music in the game. Just think of all the kids who played this game and then went on to make the wife get them some GOD drat TEA!.

We need good role models like the terrorist with the gun grafted onto his arm, the mercenary who sold his sword to a cause he knows nothing about, the teenage girl robbing groups of shady looking people in remote forests, the ex-secret police agent who locked himself in a basement coffin because his crush chose a different guy,the teenager with daddy issues who is also some sort of cat, the large chested woman who runs a bar that serves as a hideout for a terrorist cell and leaves an 8 year old in charge of said bar which is located in a dangerous slum because she wants to talk to some guy, the "flower girl" selling "flowers" in said slums, and Cait Sith.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

eating only apples posted:

Never mind your good post, I am spergy enough to point this out. They're not married during the events of this game. I think they do get married in the EU, though?

So on top of everything else, he's also living in sin?! Clearly this man is a monster.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lance Streetman posted:

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding.

If you follow this link, do not watch beyond 7:17 or you will have some FMV's spoiled for you

With than out of the way, is that Sephiroth's ending to that game? Because half those clips have nothing to do with him. It seems like someone just strung together a bunch of random FF7 clips, slapped his music over it, and called it a day. Or is that the ending for all the final fantasy characters?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

I've finally finished reading this thread. I had forgotten a fair amount about FFVII, and there's a fair bit I never saw when I played through it on the PC. To be honest, FFVII was never my favorite FF game, I always preferred 1-6 *barring 2* mechanics over VIIs. I would put it slightly behind XII and slightly ahead of XIII. Yes, I actually liked XIII *I can understand most of the complaints against it, but I still like it*.

The problem I always had with it, other than the fanatics claiming it was the best game ever, was that the materia system was TOO open-ended, and resulted in the only difference in characters being if they can attack from the back row/hit flying enemies, and how many times their limits hit per attack. Other than that it's a good game.

That being said, VIII is a bad game made worse by how many good ideas it had that either botched horribly, or didn't do anything with, and X/X-2 I hate out of principle1

Two things

1. Glad to see someone else who likes XII. It seems to get a lot of hate but I love it and have never understood all the negativity toward it. Still have to disagree with XIII being a good game though, but to each his own I suppose.

2. I would argue that X-2 actually has the best battle mechanics of the entire series. I love the job system whenever it's used, and feel X-2 really polished it. It's a lot of fun. I just wish Square would implement it in a game that I did not feel embarrassed to play.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
I didn't really mind Spirits Within one way or another; it was a watchable movie that disappointed as a Final Fantasy movie but was otherwise OK. I have come to hate it not for what it was, but for what it has done to Square since. The financial black-hole that it turned out to be seems to have driven out all creativity from Squaresoft, forced them to develop cookie-cutter franchise games, and instigated the merge with Enix. Sometimes I wonder what direction Squaresoft as a company would have gone if they hadn't spent a decade dragging themselves out of near bankruptcy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

code:
AI: Counter - Death
{
   Remove Sleep/Poison/Haste/Slow/Death-sentence/Berserk Statuses from Palmer
   Print Message [Palmer "Heh heh hic!"]
   Choose Self
   Use Palmer "Ugh!" on Target
}
Mostly because his "Ugh!" is an ability that makes him do the whole bouncing off a truck thing.

Someone hack the game to give everyone in the party that attack. I don't care how glitchy and impossible it is to make work correctly, I want to be able to make any character I'm using dance around and be hit by a truck on command.

• Locked thread