Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Elephantgun posted:

It seems the one defining factor in every bad character design is showing off your nuts.

I don't understand the logic of an outfit where you have a big feather shoulderpad and loose sleeve covering up your right arm but leave your nuts uncovered in a skintight one-piece pajama suit. Like, OK, I understand it's a different world and fashion is different but it just makes no logical sense.
See also: Kuja, who somehow wears more clothing on any one of his limbs than on his entire torso :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Bocc Kob posted:

That's gotta be some moth. :raise:
This is an FF game, those bastards are probably the size of eagles at LEAST.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Woozy posted:

Yeah Hojo is a terrible scientist there is no way that was going to work
Hojo is a terrible EVERYTHING (except "gigantic rear end in a top hat").

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

...holy poo poo, why does Heidegger look so badass? I always thought he was a dumpy little guy like Palmer :psyduck:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Adus posted:

I always found it odd that there's a reactor in the mountains that must have been built by Shinra, but none of their own guys.. know how to get there? They have to hire a local girl for it?

Also that Zangan dude is wearing a cape. I don't trust men in capes.
Maybe the monsters ate the Shinra guys and that's why they brought in the military arm?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

...wow, I almost got the text on Jenova's helmet right just from your screenshot.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Am I the only one who sees that Hojo avatar and keeps hearing him in the voice of Mung Daal?

: LLLLLLLADIES. Could I interest any of you in breeding with these random... monsters I found?
:argh: God drat it now I can't unhear it!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

dumb brunette posted:

Definitely team FFX-2. Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris.

Then Cloud, Tifa, and Yuffie when you can't do that anymore.
This.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

MGlBlaze posted:

To be fair it isn't exactly intuitive from what I remember. If you don't have a guide that outright tells you how to find her, you pretty much just have to get lucky.
Finding her isn't that difficult(you have to go through the area she appears in), but the right dialog options to recruit her could be.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

magikid posted:

Really, the only things I can think of that would really improve FFIX would be to make its battles snappier, get rid of Trance (because what the gently caress), and make like half the skills actually do something useful. Seriously, look at Zidane or Freya's skillsets and tell me you'll ever use any of that.
They needed to make Trance controllable, like once the meter fills up you decide when it activates so you don't blow it on regular monsters or at the end of a battle or something...

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

sudonim posted:

Why don't more games let characters combine attacks? It's awesome.
Inuyasha: Secret of the Cursed Mask let everyone combine attacks with everyone else.

MAGICAL NUKE BOOMERANG :black101:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Pierson posted:

Yeah Cloud really was a great character with a ton of great lines. It's such a shame what they did to him in Advent Children and the rest of the compilation. Who do we blame for that again?
Creepy fangirls?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

What is that thing on the left hand side that acts like a welcome door? Is it poop with eyes or a racist take on the Michelin man?
I've never figured it out and it haunts me.
This is Japan we're talking about, "poop with eyes" is my guess.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

New poo poo, was definitely not in the original.
:eng101: it was supposed to be, iirc, they just couldn't do the effects or something at the time.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

pandaK posted:

what if it is more like ffx's chocobo racing?
...that was more of a seagull attack than anything.

:v: Also, Chocobo Racing is easy as gently caress until like A Rank if you breed one with a ton of stamina (unless you end up facing that one guy with super-high stats), even if its other stats aren't that great, because the AI is stupid and will burn itself out early and you'll just keep on truckin'.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

:v: Of course, they can't just use a Soft on the guy or something, this is a cutscene!

gently caress that boss, though. He was a bitch to fight before I learned about the "healing hurts him" thing.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I've lost my lower left and upper right ones, but both my upper wisdom teeth also cost me the tooth in front of them as well.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

zakharov posted:

The Materia Keeper was the second-hardest boss in the game for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Not as bad as that out-of-nowhere-in-the-middle-of-a-nondescript-area boss later on, though. gently caress that thing forever :argh:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Quale and Quan seem to be male, who knows with Quina.

I'm more surprised that s/he is apparently 89 years old. Eiko is 6 and looks 9, Vivi is apparently only 6 months chronologically and 9 biologically, Freya is 21, Garnet is just 16, Amarant is 26, Stiener is 33 and Zidane is 16.

Final Fantasy ages are weird...
Japanese popular culture doesn't seem to "get" age, for the most part, everyone seems to end up being way younger than it seems they logically should be...

They have this problem with weight and height too, for that matter.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

caleramaen posted:

The Zodiac spear stuff was stupid, but it's no worse than the fact that FFXII had drop rates. I understand drop rates in an MMO, but no single player game should have drop rates unless it's dropping randomly generated loot like Diablo or something. It was a bad design decision. If the Zodiac Spear had a 100% drop rate in the Henne Mines no one would have given a gently caress if the one in Nubudis spawned. They would have just seen it as an endgame weapon with an additional easter egg spawn.
The stupider thing was the randomly generated chests. Which literally almost never contained anything worthwhile.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I always remember Water magic always dealing the most damage out of all the elemental spells in every single FF. It's also the rarest element to actually deal damage with.

Water and Aero are put on such a high pedestal.
And then in the game where Water is finally turned into one of the main elements... no Leviathan at all. I don't even know what the gently caress.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I really do wish that the Sphere Grid was unique for each character. It just doesn't feel right going around the board picking up every skill ever, but at the same time it feels wrong going through the board skipping all but the most choice skills. It's my favorite leveling system, though, because I'm a sucker for shiny colors.
For all intents and purposes, the sphere grid was sort of unique to each character unless you started grinding like crazy and min-maxing everyone, since each character started off in their own section locked off from everyone else.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

TL posted:

I somehow spaced out when Kuja referred to it as being a "magic free zone" the first time through and brought Vivi and Dagger with me. That was about the biggest pain in the balls I've ever experienced in a FF game.
:downs: Yeah, I did that too. Same people and everything.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

For a while they can wreck bosses in an instant. Not too shabby but by the end of the game bosses have too much HP for it to work.
I beat that Demon Wall boss (the one you're supposed to run from) with a couple giant-rear end Quickening chains.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

We can't talk about character design without mentioning what a complete trainwreck Kuja is.

He has more clothing on his arms than on his entire torso, who thought this was a good idea? :psyduck:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

SCHIZO! :argh:

gently caress that drat invisible out-of-nowhere 36,000 HP rear end in a top hat. At least Materia Keeper had the decency to be visible.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Replace it with Skitty and Wailord :v:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

CmdrKing posted:

My understanding of DQVII is less that it's grindy and more that it's terribly paced. Like you'll probably play 15-20 hours before even discovering the game has a class system.
It's both. It's terribly paced, but you need to do lot of grinding every couple of new lands so as not to get horribly murdered (GRACOS :argh:) and/or afford decent equipment.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

God, a scene where Jenova's head sprouted spider legs and went skittering down the halls of Shinra HQ would have been amazing. Barrett shouting "You gotta be fuckin' kiddin' me!" optional.
On that note, what did happen to Jenova's head? It had one in Nibelheim, but was headless in Midgar, and I don't remember it ever being explained in the game (before or after where we are).

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Rushputin posted:

That's what a lot of the Megaten games do. The Persona 2 games are probably the most extreme examples - every NPC in town is basically a defined character of their own, and they change lines pretty much after every single dungeon or event. Your party members are also standing around in all the non-dungeon areas and the same applies to them. There's often some sort of theme that's discussed by everyone or people comment on what a single character in the room is doing/saying.

The same thing applies to the newer Persona games, Digital Devil Saga and other games, but P2 is the most extreme both in how often lines change and how many NPCs there are. You can waste a LOT of time revisiting everything constantly.
Persona 4 is the same way. You can encounter party members you're not using in dungeons, and they have dialog for every rank of their social links (and occasionally react to the dialog from the other characters they appear in the dungeon with).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

On the subject of games using mechanics to tell the story, I liked what Blue Dragon did at the beginning of the game. Shu's catchphrase, "I'll never give up" is incorporated into the mechanics. Until he learns that sometimes all you can do is flee, he literally can't. He is the only character that has no FLEE command in combat. Jiro and Kluke can run away, but Shu cannot. After the aforementioned lesson is learned, he gains the flee command. I thought that that was very cute. Also the Villain Nene is using the main characters to strengthen his soul by potting a fragment in each of the mains, then taking them back when they are stronger. Yup, he's using Shu and company to literally level grind so he doesn't have to :P
Has anyone LP'd Blue Dragon? Because someone should really do that.

• Locked thread