Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there really a CD change at this point?

Nah, that comes far later.

Not like it would matter, as the whole game sans FMV is on all three discs. Really. The only reason this game is three discs is cause of those prerendered videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I think he's not using any mods, he's just rendering the game at a higher resolution.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

niebezimienny posted:

Someone said earlier on that you can't duplicate non-combat items. Au contraire:

when there's more than 1 enemy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gEkyz11l5s
when there's only 1 enemy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nd9Ajn5mSA
duplicating unique weapons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9dnF3FYreQ

spoilers, durrr

Holy poo poo, that's brilliant abuse of how the battle system works. Amazing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

YJT posted:

I've been playing through a little ahead of the LP and got stuck in a loop in the dragon battle where the turn order meant the dragon would just kill me and Sephiroth would revive me. Went on for what seemed like ages.

Cloud: The dragon killed me. The next thing I remember is Sephiroth reviving me, then the dragon killed me again. Sephiroth survived me again, then the dragon killed me again, then I got revived again, and killed...
Barret: C'mon Cloud, get to the point!

Anyway, while I don't really like FFVII's overall plot, I can't deny that the Nibelheim Incident and the related things are very well done.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

DocFrance posted:

In any case the suffixes are all dumb. Numbers worked just fine for the first seven games, why you gotta change things Square?

It's been suffixes from the beginning, they were just translated as numbers because... space constraints, I guess?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Why are we spoilering character names? You learn their names when you get to name them, and at that point the player can be 100% sure that he's a party member.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

Do they actually tell you the stamina regen. thing? I thought they never actually told you that.

Phelddagrif posted:

It's never mentioned in-game. Also Elentor, I'm 90% sure you hold R1 and R2, not L1 and R1, to regenerate stamina.

I always figured it was some kind of debug thing they forgot to take out, since it makes the minigame completely pointless.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Here is my incredibly unique and interesting opinion of the game's quality:

I hit select and left to take a piss. When I came back, the battle had been completed faster and more efficiently than it would've been had I actually been there. This is the problem that arises when a system is specifically and explicitly designed for automation over human input. FF13's battle system--and thereby its core gameplay--is literally, "Can you punch in numbers on a calculator faster than a computer can? No? Welcome to obsolescence :smug:"

That's seriously how I felt playing that game. The element of human input and thought is obsolete in its overall gameplay and map progression. Literally a modified Starcraft 2 AI could play it to completion.

Are you sure you're not referring to FF12? Because I find it seriously hard to believe that a FF13 battle without input could be won more efficiently than one with input, simply due to the fact that one of your party members would stand there doing nothing for the whole fight. (also due to lack of paradigm shifting)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Didn't FF4DS also have that weird thing where you couldn't reuse any of the augments you used in your previous run?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Considering all three discs actually contain the full game sans FMV, you probably could have just swapped back to disc 1 after the authentication process.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yep, exactly those three. It's based on some official FFX2 art, too.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

^ That's the hard part though. Modelling the world of FF7 on current-gen hardware in Squeenix-quality graphics would require a huge budget.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I liked the FFX bonus features, I thought they were pretty neat. Yeah, missing something sucked, but it was so satisfying to finally kill them.

That said, gently caress the PAL version, it's running 16% slower than the NTSC ones because Squeenix is bad at PAL conversions. So loving tedious to watch Tidus stroll around at a slow pace for the whole game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Serifina posted:

9's combat system moves much quicker with much less dead time between actions (assuming you queue them up at a decent speed - but that's true of 7 and 8, as well.)

Wait what? I mean I love FF9 but the battle system is slow as molasses (and takes forever to load).

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Die Laughing posted:

And FFIX is the best because you can do the battles two player. Are there any other really good rpgs that do this besides FFIX and FFVI?

The Tales series, of course! (And it actually makes sense to have multiplayer there, unlike FF6/9 were nothing *really* changes by turning on multi.)

e: v In terms of characters/story, sure, but from what I've played the recently released Graces easily beats it in terms of gameplay.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 24, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Shiki Dan posted:

Or you can use Quina for Frog Drop and Freya for Dragon's Crest and deal consistent defense-ignoring 9999 damage for much less MP and not having to sit around watching lengthy animations.

I think the longer animations are offset by the fact you don't need to grind for hours for a ton of dragon kills and catching frogs.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yeah, I'm just repeating everyone else here, but that was really very neat. It's pretty much a perfect imitation of old JRPG strategy guides. Great work and keep it up!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Valiantman posted:

Please tell me you had some secret glitch for farming all that cash.

Steal items, run away, sell items. Repeat.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

It most likely has to do with which tiles are currently in which RAM location, which of course won't always be the same depending on where you entered the world map (meaning, which tiles were initially loaded) and where you walked on it in the meantime (meaning, which tiles get unloaded and newly loaded and in which order).

e: Like, I imagine this like: Game attempts loads tile #200 in place of the loaded tile currently furthest away from your location, and puts that tile where it expects to be on the map. Since the loading request, and thus the overwrite, never actually finishes, the old tile data is still in that place -- but the map generation routine assumes that that tile already contains the new, correct one and just puts it onto the world map anyway.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 30, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think the basic idea is something like this, if you can follow my train of thought.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Not sure how that relates to the thread, but holy poo poo that's some thick guide. Disgaea is a pretty complicated game mechanics-wise, but what the hell would you need that many pages for?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

Highly recommended. (Mild-to-moderate spoilers.)

This (like anything else on Kotaku) is a terrible article and why would you even post this.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Tales of Vesperia has EXP modifiers that you can get for later playthroughs. Among them are 1/2 EXP and EXP is always 1 (with a twist).

Tales games in general have the Grade Shop as a New Game+ feature that allows you to transfer as much or as little as you want. More games, especially RPGs, should adapt something like that, if you ask me.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

PoliteMachineGun posted:

If I remember correctly, most companies destroy the source code and such after a certain period of time. I have to wonder if maybe the Eidos port was all they could get their hands on or something.

Or they could just be lazy bastards looking to cash in one a good game, ones who aren't willing to allocate the resources to redo the port and do it right. O Square, how the mighty have fallen.

Source code is tiny, no one would intentionally do that. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they simply lost it at some point, wouldn't be the first company to do so.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

paramite posted:

Elentor your DOTTJenova is my new favourite boss drawing :3:

I wanted to comment on that too, but then a massive discussion about Sephiroth/Jenova happened and I forgot about it. It's great.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Enallyniv posted:

Some browsers render gifs at wacky Benny Hill speeds - I don't think I ever had this problem myself but Firefox used to be pretty bad for it if I remember rightly.

Other way around. Some browser actually respect the speed the GIF claims to be displaying at, others have a maximum framerate cap.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Are the cards more work than the Megaman style stuff in this update?
I'm pretty sure he actually draws the enemies on the cards himself, so yeah of course they would be.

They're great though and I'm glad you're not stopping them.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I'm pretty sure that's a girl.

But yeah, somehow, that's a much more sensible design than any Square character had in years.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

No. Button presses do affect what number the RNG spits out, but if that's a positive or a negative change is, for all intends and purposes, random.

Additionally, the decision if the catch is successful or not is made right before the catching animation plays. Button presses during the animation are useless.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

If I remember right, each disc is about 700 MB, about 270 MB of that are the game itself which is completely identical on all three discs. The rest is FMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

crestfallen posted:

Compression was pretty terrible back then too. I'm sure everyone remembers the awful BINK video stuff.

Lots of modern console games still use Bink! I know, it sounds crazy, but they do, because they're fast to decode (processor-wise) so you can do other stuff in the background while the movie is playing.

• Locked thread