Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I'm one of those odd people who neither love nor hate this game. I think it's okay, as far as story and gameplay mechanics go. It does a nice job of explaining in-battle mechanics with things in the world, with the exception of limit breaks. However, best game of all time it is not. It's very poorly translated (even the PC version), the materia system is only slightly different from the last game's magic system, and the story is full of plot holes and silly moments trying to be serious moments. It's not a bad game by any means of the imagination, it's just not as great as the fanboys say.

The expanded universe is a shithole though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Air buster is the easiest RPG boss of all time. Even most tutorial bosses are harder.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Anybody who says the game gets better after Midgar is either lying or forgot this part. This will always be my clearest memory of FF7. When I first got it, I got the horrendous PC port and thought it was a pretty neat game so far. Then they asked me to make Cloud a pretty princess. That was when my 16 (younger? older? I don't remember) year old self went "WHAT HAHA OH MAN best game ever".

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure by getting most of the mid-tier stuff you can get Don to choose Tifa instead of Cloud or Aeris.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I always found it odd that magic is so accurate in RPGs, honestly. Given how much time the users usually spend telegraphing it, you'd think their target would get out of the way.

In older editions of DnD, and even with some of the beefier attacks in 4e, enemies typically got saves against spells, but even if they did make it, they still got half damage. Mainly because "you try outrunning lightning" and "holy poo poo that was an explosion of fire". Higher level rogues tend to ignore that poo poo completely though.

As for other systems in general? It's goddamn magic.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

See the FF7 port usually worked for me. But the controls were slow and terrible.

I never won the squatting game because of them.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Am I the only one who thought Crisis Core was a boring slog that only had one mission redone over and over for 40 hours?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Hell, those guys don't ever show up again.

No I am not counting Crisis Core because seriously gently caress that game. gently caress the FF7 EU in general.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I apologize for the derail, but my roommate's been reading this thread, and now he's really interested in breaking Final Fantasy 8.

Does anyone have a guide on how to do this?

Play lots of that horrible horrible loving card game and turn it all into magic you normally wouldn't get until disc 3. Breeze through the game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

...And then in FF9 they gave like four characters moves like that. All with different requirements. :bang:

Three, and they're all super grindtastic to get. By far the worst offender was Zidane, with Quina a close second. Freya's is easy as poo poo to get.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

The Xenogears demo gave you two party members in the mountains, and they even lampshade the fact that they won't be in there in the real game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Honestly I still find the Midgar Serpent that Sephy killed more impressive than yours. Yours was a very prepared, very exact fight that you still only barely won with three people. Sephy probably didn't know about the snake and managed to not only kill it, but carry it to dry land and impale it on a tree BY HIMSELF.

Also: Cloud, Red XIII, and Barret; AKA Team Sausagefest.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Psion posted:

Get ooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

His name is too drat long. I don't even LIKE the character.

My point is: no.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I'm not saying it wasn't impressive, I'm just saying Sephiroth's kill is still pretty awesome. Also, I love what you're doing with the boss fights. I've never seen many of these bosses killed before their gimmicks are shown (except air buster because, seriously, easiest boss in the game). Wondering how much longer you can keep it up though.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Magicpokey posted:

Do the tactics games have a worthwhile story to follow?

There are plots within plots within plots WITHIN PLOTS, all of which are trying to be subverted by someone with a plot within a plot.

It's a bit complicated, but it's loving genius storytelling.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Woozy posted:

Edit: Red XIII is the best character. Discuss.

Hahahaha not even close.

Red XIII is boring, has terrible stats, and even worse limits. I honestly think the game could have done just as well without him.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I kinda find it hilarious that Yuffie's level 4 limit break is probably one of her worst. Her level 3's, hell, one of her level 2's even, are so much better than it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I think the longest playtime I've ever had was on Oblivion, wherein my level 47 character had logged in about 70 hours of playtime. Aside from that I usually stick around 40-50 hours in RPGs.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm not sure why games log total time spent, except just so you can discover it one day and feel very bad about your priorities.

Or your unemployment situation.

You can only fill out so many applications.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

The Turks are the best characters. Everyone else are inferior to them in almost every way.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

J-E-N-O-V-A is a million times better then the overhyped piece of poo poo that One Winged Angel is.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Where do folks get the ages from 9, anyway? Were they in the Ultimania guides? The ages certainly weren't in the instruction manual, and the only two characters with cited ages are Garnet and Eiko.

I don't think there are any cited ages, and even then only one of your party members is ACTUALLY human, so it's not like it makes a big difference.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I know Amarant has bluish skin, but if he's not a human then what is he?

Whatever the hell Brahne is. I mean, just because someone looks human in that game doesn't mean they ARE human. Even Blank and Marcus weren't human. Blank was a flesh golem, and Marcus was like a half-goblin or something.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, this is something I've been noticing lately. Six, ten years ago, folks would say that the NES and some early SNES games were "old school," but these days, the PS1 games have become the new old school.

Which makes me feel old, because I still remember when the only console I had was the NES. Because that was the newest one at the time.

The day my dad randomly brought home a Sega Genesis blew my goddamn mind.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Holy poo poo is that Blitzball screenshot an altered Tecmo Super Bowl cutscene?

This makes X almost tolerable now.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

:eng101: it was supposed to be, iirc, they just couldn't do the effects or something at the time.

Yeah, but at that point, Jabba wasn't a space slug. He was supposed to be just some dude in a purple cape.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Some people see the lack of updates as just a lack of updates.

I see it as a shiny golden wire of hope (that the next update will be awesome).

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

To be fair, skipping the cutscenes and codec calls, MGS is only like two hours long if you know what you're doing. FF7 you COULDN'T skip though, so the fact you made it that far without a memory card is pretty impressive.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Having my wisdom teeth removed was fun until they woke me up.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

kw0134 posted:

So what could possibly be so scary to Shinra that even they felt the need to cover it up?

The planet-eating demigod? The fact Sephiroth went crazy? I dunno.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

The biggest problem with Vincent is his lovely limit breaks. Which is a shame, because I seem to remember one of them being a Frankenstein monster with chainsaw attached to its arm.

EDIT: No wait, chainsaw guy and Frankenstein were seperate ones. Both were still cool-looking yet useless.

Even cooler was that his level 4 limit is the final boss from Final Fantasy 1.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I don't think I've ever purposely left a CD laying about to get scratched. The only time I've ever gotten a disc so scratched it was unplayable was when I owned an old 360, and if you tilted it it would leave a nasty circular scratch on the CD.

Three dead games later led me to getting a PS3, and I have yet to regret that decision.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

You can break FF8 in ten minutes if you play that stupid loving card game. Can't you get a card that turns into 99 Ultima spells and then you can junction those to your stats and just breeze through the rest of the game, or something similar?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

This really is the Turks' shining moment. Despite their joke status earlier (and later) in the game, this shows that the Turks really are quite effective at their jobs. If it wasn't for the fact that you're playing as main characters, I'd imagine that the Turks would be pretty much the end-all for you. I'd gladly play a game with them as the main characters that wasn't entirely based on my phone.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

The Turks were plenty effective before this. Elena, not so much, but the others actually beat you before this. You beat Reno in a fight, but Aeris still gets kidnapped and the Plate still kills a bunch of people.

I was talking more about Reno and Rude's shipping conspiracies.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I was never strapped for cash in the parts of FFXII I played, but then again I quit that game less than half way through because it was a boring abomination.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Alkarl posted:

Say what you will about FFX, I stand by the battle system being pretty well designed and enjoyable. :colbert:

And that was about the only thing that game did right.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

George posted:

Most of the monster designs are pretty awesome, and I'll defend the sphere grid the same way I defend the license grid: if more care and player choice had been injected into it, it would have been amazing.

I'll give you monster designs, but the copious amounts of reskinning that was in that game was almost criminal, even for a Final Fantasy. As for the sphere grid system, all I can say is gently caress the whole drat thing.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Once you get to the Calm Lands though, even with the fair share of unique enemies, there's still a vast majority of reskins for "new" monsters. I can understand for flans and stuff, but it really was a shame to see so many monsters just be a different color than another from when I was running around an easier area 20 years ago. Maybe I was just spoiled by Final Fantasy 9, which, as far as I can recall, didn't have ANY reskins, with the exception of the very final 2 screens of the game with reskinned versions of late-game bosses as normal enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

IIRC, there's a few attacks that do go over the cap, but will only register at 9999.

I think it's Freya's Dragon Crest, and Zidane's Thievery, though, don't quote me on that.

They never do damage over the cap, actually, otherwise Dragon's Crest would be able to destroy every encounter in the whole game within 500 battles.

• Locked thread