Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Nice, just as FF9 finished!

As I missed the opportunity for that game, but wanted to play it anyway and a friend has a PSX to lend...I'll be playing along, I think. Never did play 7, so this is going to be a nice experience. You can show me how much stuff I missed after I did a segment, yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

As mentioned, I'm playing along with the LP, completely blind, and already, there's stuff I missed :D.

For example, both the guy showing you the tower (I went left first and got swept up by plot) and Johnny leaving (dunno why), I didn't get to see at all! After following the FFXIII LP, it's very strange having missable cutscenes...

I also missed getting the All materia, but I guess I'm just stupid. I check everything, but not blue glowing balls on the floor. It'll be there still later...I hope?

And I don't get Tifa's limit break at all. She always seems to do piss-poor damage. Then again, I suck at slot machines, but I don't even know what I'm supposed to be aiming for here.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Nidoking posted:

I don't know whether you can get the All materia later or not, but I suspect not. Even so, you're missing out by not getting it early. You miss on the opportunity to build up its AP - as it gains levels, you can use the All effect more times per battle. It's still not the end of the world, since there will be more All materias later (I believe there's a shop where you can buy them), but it's the first one.
I played further. Yeah, it's gone now :(. Quite thouroughly so, in fact.

Having gotten Tifa's second Limit Break, I also understand it now. Until now, it was my impression that slot machines had to have more than one wheel, and thought I was doing something wrong.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

Air buster is the easiest RPG boss of all time. Even most tutorial bosses are harder.
Don't know about that. I fought him yesterday and thought him pretty challenging for being the second boss. He counterattacks everything and made me think I was doing something wrong, but if you didn't omit it, there's no trick to it? And his Big Bomber deals a lot of damage. He certainly won't wipe you out, but it isn't THE easiest.

Of course, if you go in with full Limits and know that he's absurdly weak to back attacks instead of just normally weak (yeah, I DID figure out that there was a point to him being surrounded), it's a breeze, but that's not a given.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Elentor posted:

What would you guys want/expect/wish from a modern-day RPG?
I'd love for the game developers to stop fellating the legacy of FFVII. It's definitely not a bad game, and I'm having fun playing along, but it does have enough faults, rooted into the system, that should have been eradicated years ago.

In fact, playing it now with a friend also to the LP of it, they should learn their loving lessons from Chrono Trigger. CT is also a pretty classic RPG, with ATB gauges, tech points (like AP in this or lots of other FF games), multiple characters that you can choose from, magic etc.

Thing is, the game takes those assets and doesn't arrange them in a boring, tired and old standard fashion. It streamlines the ATB system by making them go up really fast, but giving you an incentive to wait until more are filled (called Dual Techs), instead of just mindlessly mashing A or X or whatever. Tech points not only learn one character skills, with Dual Techs, you get double benefit. The first of those are learned pretty early; contrary to that, I'm BAFFLED at how long it'd take me to just get one single Materia up a level. 2000 AP for a simple Bolt spell? Are you kidding me? I'm fighting every fight, and still have only gotten like a tenth of that!

Also, random encounters. Those are poo poo and break the flow of the gameplay, making you stop all the time when you really just want to reach the next save point, waste your time when you're in low-level area, I could really do without. They've been in every single RPG ever, but the best of them, Chrono Trigger again, shows that there's absolutely no point: If you make every fight avoidable, then...exactly nothing is lost. Players will GET that it's beneficial to not avoid all of them. Seriously.
Another way would be to make those encounters matter. For all the "lol a Megaman RPG" talk, the Battle Network games have a fantastic system going there, especially the third. Let me explain to those who haven't played them: Every time you fight a random encounter, you'll be graded on how fast and efficient you were. If you're really good, you'll get a chip that you can use to fight with; if you're worse, you'll get less and less money. So that's the first incentive to be glad for random encounters, rewards, and better ones if you're good; making every fight a test of your skills to see if you can get that S-Rank.
This also serves to not make low-level encounters boring, because you'll usually only have chips that are good enough to obtain an S-Rank later than the first time you're in an area. You WILL be back to those, and then you can really try and get the sweet rewards, all while proceeding to your actual goal: Again, you'll be glad for random encounters instead of hating them, because you can always use a fourth chip of those guys, or one in a certain code, or just the big money that you can get instead of a chip if you're good.
Mega Man Battle Network 3 has one other great thing going for its random encounters: If you counter-hit kill an enemy, you'll get a BugFrag, collectibles that you can trade in for really powerful stuff. So the easiest enemies are actually the best to get those, completely eradicating "Jesus, let me alone you loving Goblins" effect.

The funny thing is, most of this actually IS in FFXIII. The problem is, it's implemented so badly that most of the time, if falls flat on its face, or the stuff surrounding it sucks. For example, the idea of using the ATB gauge to determine how many attacks you can queue up, giving you the option to use it early or to wait if you want something powerful, is really great. Avoidance of random encounters is there, too.
These are GOOD THINGS. Square and other developers should take them to heart, and just realize that there's a reason why everyone loves Chrono Trigger: Because it manages to be fairly standard, while also improving ON the standard in every which way.

I'm perfectly happy with turn-based fights governed by ATB gauges, and a party of younglings out to save the world. I don't need a great overhaul of the tried-and-true system that especially FFVII has as lifeblood. I just want that they realize that some things about it are stupid and stop them.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

When I got to here, I had NO idea on what to do with the barrels.

You're not making it any clearer :psyduck:. Though I feel supported in that you said it's retarded. Playing more, though, I state that practically every mini-game is retarded in this game...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The song got an awesome bass intro. I really love FF9's music and never heard anything particular about FF7's soundtrack except for OMG ONE WINGED ANGEL, but this track did first convinced me that FF7's is also pretty drat good.

So you can show exits on screen, huh. Select, I guess? One of my first (internal) complaints about the game was "hey, some of those exits sure are hidden well, surely I'll stumble around cluelessly sometime and it's just THERE".
Also I was going all "just use Cure on him you stupid bitch" and not ashamed at all :colbert:. FF5's GBA version taught me that sometimes, there ARE characters in an RPG who think of that tactic and it's awesome.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Shoopuf posted:

Learn something new every day. Wonder why the hyphen, though?
Shin-Ra is in a lot of the backgrounds. I guess translators don't usually play the game, though, so they just had the script - and Japanese, as far as I know, uses hyphens often just to signalize that a syllable is elongated. Doesn't make much sense with an "n" as last, but probably they just dropped it because it became second nature to overlook it? Maybe?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You know, I've heard of this scene before I played and thought it would suck, but it's actually handled really well. I laughed, and the guy watching me play (I hate playing RPGs alone, it's far more fun to do a "live blind LP") did too.

Too bad I didn't know the "correct" choices for clothing and failed to do the other stuff, so...I'm quite excited to see it. Has been spoiled, too, don't care. It'll be a riot, I'm sure of it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Uh, wow. I seem to have missed at least half an hour of content here. I got the dress, the lovely wig, went to Don Corneo's mansion and that was that. Hilarious enough, but I completely missed the Member's pass, making many a what the Christ moment wasted. Too bad, and great to have the LP for that!

gently caress minigames, though. The plague this game, and the squats are one of the first really bad examples: It comes out of nowhere, and you gently caress it up once, TOO BAD, lovely wig for you, reload save, of course you can't retry it, bitch. Pissed me off and I didn't even try to get prettier.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

As far as I know, spells in WoW can also achieve critical hits, which is...very logical, actually, why should it be limited to weapons only?
And healing magic can also crit. "I'm going to heal you RIGHT IN THE FACE!" :haw:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It's the perfect example of "really easy if you know what you're doing". Problem is, if you know what you're doing, then you're already set for most video games anyway! It's just no excuse to say "game isn't poo poo, just do that and that and that and then it gets magically better" if there's no way of knowing all those steps. What the game tells you, as far as I know, is "draw them magic spells son", and that's the information you're getting. Maybe you'll refine an item or two, realize that you have no idea what refines into what and say gently caress it.

At least that would be how I'd have played the game. Haven't done so yet. Friend of mine keeps telling me I should because he loves seeing games broken. So question. I have the vaguest of ideas on how to break the game, having read the LP and following this thread, basically. Is it cool to go in and try poo poo out or won't I ever be happy without pouring over 10 FAQs first? The latter is what it sounds like and it sounds loving awful.

EDIT: Oh wait a second, that's not the general FF discussion thread. WONDER HOW I GOT THAT MIXED UP. Nobody answer, I'll take it over there or just dive in.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Those loving stairs. Most games I play reward the stealthy option with more challenging gameplay and better stuff for avoiding attention. What do I get here? gently caress YOU WORK THOSE LEGS. The dialogue isn't helping either. They're mostly pointing out that we're just climbing a long-rear end staircase. I KNOW. Acknowledgement of problem does not make it go away.

Jesus, did I miss stuff already. Fortunately, I've stopped playing altogether. I'm sorry, but the game just...isn't much fun to me. At least I got out of Midgar and most people say that's a good point to stop anyway. Not that I found Midgar particularily impressive. This whole building, for example, is tedious as all hell. Guard minigame, Midgar Parts...sheesh.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mr Right posted:

Played it but never made it to the end of the first disk.

And it's hilarious how you're destroying the bosses. I'm a good few hours ahead of you and I still have the level one limits.
Ditto for me; I stopped right after the ship ride (I hope that's vague enough even in the spoiler), and Cloud got three limits. Barret just got his second on the last boss I fought.
Guess that Fury really makes a difference, huh?

You know what? I totally did NOT get that Hojo tried to make his two specimen breed. Maybe I skip over dialogue too fast without considering its implications. Because stuff only really is implied in this game, huh? I'm not used to that from videogames.

Or I'm, deep inside, just far too innocent.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think my sense of difficulty is completely hosed up.

The gunners didn't give me any trouble whatsoever. I had to do them twice (more on that soon) and there wasn't a single instance where I said "hey, that could have been dangerous". And I was far behind you in limits and levels.

Rufus, on the other hand, simply killed Cloud the first time around. I had forgotten to equip cure on him :downs:. Really stupid, but you make it sound like you could just spam him into oblivion; before I could do that, though, he'd have me killed. Level too low, HP too low, I'd have to heal. And Potions can just barely keep up with his shotgun and the panther/dog/forgot. If he crits, that's a race I can't win.

Very strange. The minigame is lovely with bad hitboxes, but I didn't mind it at all because being bad at it mattered jackshit. The music is drat awesome, I grant it that, and the sequence, while ridiculous, is also really cool. This is the best part of the part of the game I saw.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

I had this problem when I played, too. Maybe it was just my playstyle. I never had too much trouble with the bosses in this game, but Rufus was probably the hardest fight I can remember in the entire game.
Well, after I actually remembered to put Cure on him, Rufus was insanely easy, so...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I didn't like it even the first time playing. I get that we need plot and backstory, but it's just SO MUCH at once. It's generally okay that they make you play a lot of it, so you can skip parts freely on repeat playthroughs, but still, that's a lot of walking around talking to the right people about stuff you already know.

My biggest gripe with giving you control, though, is that there's no gameplay benefit from it. But I'll get to that after the next update.

I guess your enjoyment completely depends on how much the plot grips you. My getting gripped though was completely dragged down by how slowly it unfolded. For giving you so many infos at once, the game sure takes its sweet time until it actually gets to the meat of this flashback - yeah, worldbuilding, yada yada, but the point is, after half an hour of this I just got BORED. And THEN the real interesting stuff starts, but it's already far too late for that, because my short-term memory knows that I haven't been enjoying myself for the last 15 minutes at least, and that sullies the whole thing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think Hojo later emigrated to found the scientific division of the Space Pirates.

Infuse it with PHAZOOOON!

Please nobody pick up that joke and use "breeding" and "Samus" in the same sentence, thanks.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

This. The music track is one of my favorite and probably the most memorable for me, just because the way it's used in the game is brilliant. Beat and bells while you're walking across the creepy mansion looking for Seph, and when poo poo gets real, the aural creepiness amplifies in tandem.

Also, i just had an epiphany while reading this update. I just now FINALLY got the reason for the name of the final boss track, and by extension, its appearance. Well, maybe not the reason, but a connection at least.

And because i apparently can't make a post without it, have another kickass remix of the "Sephiroth theme" we heard this update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKyrncNjtPc
(please use 480p)

It's actually a mix of two different themes, and the other one is from a different franchise altogether. Bonus points if you can figure out which one without looking it up! (Hint: It was referenced on the previous page.)
The beginning just SCREAMS Lower Norfair to me. Do I win?

In any case it's awesome.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

When I got here, I of course tried to fight the serpent and not run away, because we're manly men here (I left the females behind, indeed). I managed to survive fairly well without backrow trickery (dunno how exactly), and when I got it to half health, it threw Cloud out of the battle, then killed Red and Barret with Beta.

The message "Recieved Enemy Skill Beta" played. I was THRILLED.

Only to realize that I hadn't actually gotten it, as I lost the battle :negative:. Curse you! Such a tease.
How the hell are you supposed to figure out the Chocobo's enemy skill anyway? At least I got Matra Magic and lvl 4 Suicide pretty much by accident. Also Flamethrower! And I didn't get the summon Materia either. Man, playing FF games blind just makes you miss half the poo poo that's in them.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh wow. I played a bit farther than this point before stopping, and until know I had missed a Materia, all of Condor (it confused the hell out of me, and looking at your screenshots doesn't make it better because drat are the graphics bad there), lots of items and tons of super-easy grinding that would have made my life far easier...

...but a whole CHARACTER? Bloody hell, how was I supposed to know this? That's really stupid. Not that you'd need her, but still. I'd be pissed if I had continued to play and was now halfway through Disk 2 or something.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Elentor posted:

I really like how in old games there are secrets like that. Secrets that are, you know, secret. Not finding Yuffie did not make your experience worse when you were playing. It's much more amusing than having Yuffie as a DLC character.
DLC would be stupid, yes. Thing is, in my mind there's a difference between secrets being hidden and them being obtuse. Even if I fought two - three battles in every area just to be sure, Yuffie might not pop up. Even if she did, I would probably screw up the recruitment and think "okay, then that's for another time".

I'm very big on finding secrets, I really love figuring stuff out. Like DKC2's bonus levels or extra exits in Super Mario World. With a few exceptions, though, those have hints to them or can be found by just dicking around a level where you know there has to be one (because the world map tells you so!). I've always hated Final Fantasy games' method of just putting extra stuff everywhere and if you're LUCKY a random NPC mentions a rumor along the line.

As Nidoking said, you're crazy if you don't want to miss too much and don't play with a guide alongside. I just don't like doing that. I played through both N64 Zeldas and Super Mario 64 with the help of a guide because I gave up too early as a kid and regretted ever since that I never experienced the joy of figuring out the Water Temple myself or being surprised by the pyramid's tip blowing off.
So far, I haven't played too many FF games (though I'm getting there), and I really want to experience them blind, but all those missable things make me cringe, too. Maybe that's just a special case of OCD talking, but we're all gamers here. Missing awesome stuff along the way DOES NOT FLY.

tl;dr: I wouldn't mind there being lots of secrets if they weren't obtuse and permanently missable.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

IX is like the best (FF) game. TONS of missable stuff, though. Fortunately, I read a certain LP of it before playing it and thus just play with a guide open on the side, being already spoiled for what's going to happen.

I played a bit of WoW, incidentally, was real fun. Never got too far into it, though, I lack a certain...ambition when it comes to video games. Who the gently caress cares about high levels. I want to try out awesome spells and poo poo.

EDIT: vvvvv if it helps, FFV is also like the best FF game.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 4, 2011

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

This was the segment where I realized that I'd probably not play the game much further. I soldiered (get it? get it?) through the minigames, but every single one is pointless and retarded, and I didn't get what the hell they were trying to accomplish with them. Afterwards, there wasn't too much to convince me that they had changed their design philosophy for this game to one that doesn't annoy me, so I stopped after reaching the next town.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

God, I hated RedXIII being on the ship already. I had just played like 23 pointless and stupid minigames, with the last one being the BEST of them, Cloud had dressed up as a Soldier, infiltrated Junon's parade, busted his balls and the party is all like "yeah we're already in the ship what the hell are you doing in the uniform, you're late".

So even the game knows that the whole sequence was BLOODY loving USELESS!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Why would he be giving out the sword in the first place? Like "hey soldier, I like your moves, have a giant gently caress-off sword that no normal human being could even draw, let alone wield". The hell? Don't they have pay-raises in their army...or promotions?

Maybe he's supposed to slay his commanding officer with it :black101:. Shinra's EVIL after all.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

For someone who didn't grind his limits and didn't know what the gently caress he was doing anyway, Jenova was decently challenging. One of the high points of the game for me (as far as I played, which wasn't far longer). Lasers everywhere, multiple attacks in the same round...I still beat her pretty easily by healing at the correct moments, but it required an actual tactic. I had fun.

Also, it's a "nice touch" that immediately after you get Shiva, the next boss isn't weak to it...in fact, Jenova RESISTS Ice.

EDIT: Ah yes, and Stop is also a bitch if you've only got one healer. Echoing the "music is great" comments, too.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Very entertaining boss fights. One thing is bugging the poo poo out of me, the "Heilig Krig" attack. It's obviously supposed to be "holy war" in German, but that'd be "Heiliger Krieg"...

Gah, sperging about my own language. Good job, anyway :v:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The "Norwegian" comment could well be true, though. I have no idea what the aforementioned "Virkelighetens Doed" could mean, so...

Norwegian is just something you don't see used all day as a "cool sounding language for stuff we could as well call by its real name in English", German a bit more often, so forgive me for being nationalistic, my Scandinavian buddies ;).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I found this in the strangest fanart thread and just had to bring it here.

It's just perfect in every way.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Elentor posted:

As a half Brazilian/half Japanese myself, I feel half violated.
Why, are you also half a woman?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

Well half of it (using a weapon or spell more makes you better at it) makes sense, the other half (getting hit gives you more HP) doesn't.
It does, in a twisted way (getting used to getting hurt). I really enjoy pretty much every aspect of FF2's leveling system, I might be one of the few people in the world to like the game. However, I only played the GBA remake, and contrary to the abomination that is FFIIIDS, it's competently done and more than just a graphics update.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DirtyPatty posted:

It does make sense, but it just leads to me making my characters beat themselves in the head because it's more efficent than letting the enemy do it.
And it never gets old. For me, at least.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Elentor posted:

They actually take many more hours than I initially thought, and than you non-LPers probably assume, and than I would like to admit haha.
A trap every LPer finds himself stepping in. Like yesterday:

5 o'clock: "Oh, the video has been ready for a while, gonna upload it quickly and slap together an update post..."

7 o'clock: "Alright, that finishes this one and IT'S HOW LATE??!"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm German and have no idea what "Bugenhagen" could mean.

Not going to bother googling, they could have mangled the romanization in countless ways anyway.

The music is gorgeous, yes. Ocarina version especially.

I do like the lore to this game, what with the lifestream concept. Too bad the gameplay isn't up to my expectations, I could have enjoyed this very much, but that's what LPs are for anyway, no?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Glazius posted:

Remind me, has any Final Fantasy ever done a New Game+ mode?
FFIVDS has one.

Sadly, you're limited to two NG+s, and it's required for getting all the Augments they added in. So better have an FAQ ready. But generally, that's a nice feature.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Didn't FF4DS also have that weird thing where you couldn't reuse any of the augments you used in your previous run?
They stay on the characters you used them on, unused ones carry over, afaik.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Overall, I gotta echo that you're doing an astounding job with this.

Just a very minor complaint: You're often saying that the random encounters in this area are brutal, annoying or something, but we rarely get to see them. Just irked me a little in the "trek to Wutai" segment just now, but also over the course of the LP. I love Final Fantasy monster designs and would like to see more :).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Steal works 100% of the time every time in FFX...the first time. Each subsequent steal halves the chance of success.

So yeah, that's pretty sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

All of FF7 seems very surreal to me. Presentation doesn't help. FF8, too, though, but I'd rather use "bizarre" for that one.
FF9, in comparison, looks far more fantastic on the surface, but is far more consistently believable as a world and setting that it's puzzling in its scope. To me, at least.

• Locked thread