Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Just to chime in and say I'm looking forward to how this LP will play out (seeing as how I only have the faintest memories of playing this).

Patter Song posted:

Frankly, Amano's character design looks pretty weird once you put it into 3D, even more so than Nomura's. In the age of sprites, no one cared that Cecil from FFIV wears lipstick. In the DS version, this is painfully, painfully obvious.

I dunno, sometimes it's not so bad.

Take "Moon Boots Cloud" for instance:

The only thing for me with Amano in 3d is the way peoples hair splays out at weird angles, but that's his style. Incidentally, all those images come from Dissidia, bar the first and all are based on his art.

Also, why is there no nickname for Amano as there is for "Belts-and-Zippers" Nomura? This must be corrected. I propose "Beads-and-Sashes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Korremar posted:

Moogle-Marx looks pissed as all hell.

I can't decide if that's the best or worst cover for a philosophy book that I've ever seen.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I like that you can hear FF7's main theme (or at least a part of it) in "Underneath the Rotting Pizza". I'm a sucker for musical leimotifs. It also has a really fitting title. Real Noir-ish.

Elentor posted:

:britain:"Gawd bless ya Marm!":britain:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Lance Streetman posted:

You beautiful bastard.

Edit: This is the only reason I'd want a remake. To see girly cloud in HD.
I laughed at Advent Girly Cloud
They already did. :colbert:

Nowdays Square Enix would probably get rid of the whole cross dressing scene to shove in more angst.

Aeris: "Cloud put on this lovely green silken bow! It'll match your eyes."

Cloud: "These eyes, they are the eyes of a monster. I am a monster who does not deserve this silken green bow...I've failed everyone."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Elentor posted:

JESUS H CORBIT! KILL IT! MYGODTHOSEEYES!!
:gonk:

There are some things man was not meant to do. That is one of them.

*Ahem*

I love this part of the game; it's so light hearted and full of whimsy :)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Elentor posted:

I too, rented Ultraviolet and it was the only dvd that refused to play on my equipment. I'm not joking.

Your DVD player was trying to warn you.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Schwartzcough posted:

Eat and gently caress share a character? I can see that being awkward.

Considered the phrase, "eating out"? It's sure as hell not a take-away. Unless you're lucky

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 15, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ddegenha posted:

It's worse in simplified Chinese. All those hilarious signs you see with grocery products in Asian markets that include the word gently caress are because of a single commonly used character that confuses the hell out of cheap auto-translators.

Isn't that like the verb "to do" or something. Which, incidentally, has the meanings of "to gently caress" as well.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 15, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The original FFVII designs I've never had a problem with, especially as they've become somewhat iconic of JRPGs in general.

I mean, Cloud has some kinda' wrestler's belt held up by braces. That's it for the belt department.

You can see a progeession in his later designs where the clothes become less clothes and more belt/zipper.

Like Squall has a normal belt to keep his trousers up, a belt that I've seen serve as a holster (in other movies), another random belt, and finally, three belts around his leg that serve seemingly no purpose whatsoever.
His zippers are where zippers would normally be.

Fast forward a few years to Kingdom Hearts 2.

He now has thirteen belts (six apparently holding his pants together!) and zippers on the side of his pants, shoes and gloves.

I can't not mention Lulu from FFX when talking about belts:

Lulu has 43 belts! 43!

Hopefully, the fact that Square Enix is hiring actual fashion designers for FFXIII Versus will tone done the belts a tad. Saying that, I've never had a problem with any of the above examples' designs, in-game.

For Amano artworks, count instead the amount of beads, sashes and make up. It all adds up.

[E]:
Apparently he added those belts to give the FMV people a challange. They responded by either showing her from the waist up or putting her in as few scenes as they could. :mmmhmm:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 17, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Greyscale Skies posted:

Versus XIII does for the most part seem pretty good in that regard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIx9VJWSl8&hd=1
Holymotherfuckingchrist! That looks...dare I say it...good. And fun too. :ohdear:

Please let it not suck!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
XIII-2 (god that looks so retarded typing that out), was apparently created because when they made XIII, they made an absolute ton of stuff for the game, so much so infact, that they could fill another game. Which they did...rather than fine tuning the game they already had...

tl;dr:
More :10bux::signings::10bux: for Square-Enix.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pimpmust posted:

I mean, how can a game about a black man and his 'fro be bad?

I'll give you the crib notes version:
I'd say XIII's biggest problem was that it was a game trying to be a fifty hour movie, and then remembering that it had to be a game again at points.

The plot required reading supplimentary (but ingame) material to understand it (a big no-no), the playable characters ranged from the usual FF levels of cool, tolerable and obnoxious. Their own motivations often aren't interesting enough to carry the plot, and/or shoe-horned in at every opportunity.

The antagonists barely featured in the plot and never gave a real sense of menance or threat. The world, while very pretty, railroads you down a linear path with only slight deviations. And the average cutscene rate is once every five minutes, and each cutscene is at least that long. And the fact that you don't really get the full use of the playable cast and their unique abilities until a very very long time into the game.

*phew* There, that's pretty much all the complaints about that game in a nutshell.

[E]:
You make that metaphor sound delicious.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 18, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
VII has some of the most memorable music of the series. My only complaint is the constant and countless versions of...that one song.

Oh what was it called? "One-Purpled Haze"? "Carmina Buranairoth"?

Whatever it was, I'm sure Elentor will come to it eventually. I'm loving the LP btw.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Elentor posted:

I laughed at One-Purpled Haze hahaha.

It's not a bad song, it's not the best from FF7 either by any stretch. It's also just a midi on the PC version, which makes it the most anti-climatic poo poo ever.

You guys are really entertaining me with the spoiler-safe version of the musics.

The first time I heard it I thought it was okay (I thought that the one before the-song-that-must-remain-nameless was better though). It's just that the song kinda loses its effectiveness the more times it's repeated and unaltered.

I thought the best version was on Crisis Core.

[E]

Dauntasa posted:

Yeah, I honestly don't like that song. S-P-O-I-L-E-R-S is better, in my opinion.

I just got this and it nearly made my mind explode (yeah I'm slow).
Bravo! :golfclap:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 18, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Adus posted:

Enemies use it.

drat. Now you've spoiled the entire game. :colbert:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dauntasa posted:

He didn't even really try anything, he just sort of stuck them in the same room and assumed they would.

Well he probably...um..well...um...expected them...um...FOR SCIENCE! :science:

Hojo's all kinds of hosed up, but at least he's voiced by Paul Eiding, best known as the voice of the Colonel in Metal Gear. That laugh is loving great.

"Genius I tell you! Haha! Pure genius! PURE GENIUS! Teehahah-AHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
[E]: That Red XIII fursuit is gonna be in my nightmares :gonk:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 23, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
They must put Mako in everything nowdays. Mako powered electricity, Mako powered cars, Mako enhanced cocaine, Mako enhanced pills for erectile dysfuction, etc

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Lots and lots of blow.

It would explain everything about Hojo in my mind.

: "Gentlemen, today we are going to push at the very boundaries of Science, nay even knock on the doors of the mysteries of life itself! We must be brave! We must be bold! For today we shall push open those doors to a new realm of knowledge! *snorts coke* Right, let's see if I can make that woman gently caress that dog..."

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 23, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
Yep. Didn't want to post a video, because, ya know, spoilers.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Sadly, Hojo's viral video series, 'Will They gently caress', never quite got the audience he hoped for...

Here's an alternative title:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Here's a sweet version of the Main theme.

As usual ignore all the related vids and youtube comments.

[E]:
:confused: I have no idea; it's not showing up on mine.Found it. That's...a tad random.

I bet Don Corneo had something to do with it though.

[E2]: Whoops, didn't notice it on OP's music list :(
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 26, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Or something from a Chinese takeaway menu.

[E]:
:downsrim:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 27, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Elentor posted:

Also, this:

:stare:

Cloud is really into transvestism isn't he?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

FinalSin posted:

Can anyone point me towards an explanation of the FFVIII Rinoa = Ultimecia theory? I'd not heard it before, and I'd love to read it.

Enjoy the lunacy.

I wish that that plot element was in the game, if only to make the "romance" aspect of it tragic and more interesting than.

;-*: I love you!
:emo:: I love you too! Despite having barely any interest in you.

[E]:
The whole thing can be summed up in six words; wishful thinking, too many time parodoxes.

VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 29, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
[E]: The PS anthology version of FF5 had a terrible translation. Seriously, "Y Burn" for "Wyvern"? "Salsa" instead of "Sarisa" for Faris' real name.

Queen of Roses posted:

I think it's pretty telling that, in an effort to "fix" FF8's nonsensical mess of a plot, this person created an even bigger nonsensical mess. :psyduck:

Time travel always fucks everything up.

And yet time travel plots don't need to be complicated.
Look at FF1.
Garland finds a way to travel 2000 years into the past. Dissidia explains the who and the why.
He finds the four fiends and arranges it so that they help him in the future, by sending him back into the past when he is killed by the player characters. He sends them into the future to be dicks.

The warriors of light kill Garland, who is sent into the past and becomes Chaos. Chaos would then send the four fiends into the future to be dicks. So on, so on.

A time loop is made.

The warriors however, make their way into the past and kill Garland/Chaos again, thus breaking the loop. And creating a parallel world where Garland never went back in time or became a dick. See how easy that is?

Okay I'm loving lying, trying to understand time travel plots is loving annoying, and they are ALWAYS complicated.

[E]:My spelling's terrble.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 29, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

SLDrisk posted:

Sounds just like the first Final Fantasy, I mean break it down it's the same inane time paradox that they came up with for the first one, but redone and with more dialogue in VIII.

Pretty much. And they shoehorned in a romance plot.

[E]:But the biggest thing between I and VIII is that I's plot is there to give the player the barest minimum of a reason to fight things (as games of that time did) and just be set dressing really. That is of course comletely acceptable for a gsme of that period.

They couldn't pull that same simplisitic stuff again in 1998 (or whenever VIII was released) because gamers expected (and still do) something more than just an excuse plot to fight stuff.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 30, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
According to Dissidia, her primary motivation is that she wants to live forever in that single moment of compressed time, and be worshipped like a goddess. And then from that singularity shape the universe as she sees fit.

So yeah, megalomaniacal bitch.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I think it smells of ozone. Just because.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Phoenix Taichou posted:

The PC manual is every worse. It's all in black and white, has battle models for all characters, and Sephiroth doesn't get any picture whatsoever, just a blank space.

Bios are the same, sadly.

Same for the PAL PS manual.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

John Luebke posted:

I don't think it was in FFVIII though.

If you never lose the game, you'll never hear it.

I was really miffed when it wasn't in XIII (or the victory theme).

Here's the one for VII for comparison with VIII

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Psion posted:

Obviously we need to talk about gunblades :smugdog:
-SHIN-RA INTEROFFICE MEMOS-
Shin-Ra; the compnay that cares.

To: Scarlet - Head of Shin-Ra Weapons Development.
Re: What the gently caress is this thing and why did it cost Ǥ6 billion!?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 5, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Schwartzcough posted:

Is... is that the accepted symbol for 'gil'?

:ssh:Nope, the accepted symbol is just Gil. Jusst felt it needed something other than that though

[E]: Ewwww!
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 5, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
We'll be good :(

On topic: what is that creepy...mask thing for? I mean, Sephiroth just rips it from its cables and throws it aside.

[E]: Just did it. The Gunblade is the model from Kingdom Hearts, and the Buster sword is the model from FFX, which is hidden away in the game files.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 5, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The most unmentioned thing about this being in 3D, is the use of camera angles. Like the Dutch angle here, to show that something is ever so slightly off.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DocFrance posted:

Man that update was practically gushing with yonic symbolism.

Also, I'm totally cool with the idea of the paleontologists who dug up Jenova giving her a commonly-used name, like Lucy.

Someone did a comedy video where they called Jenova "Suzy", and made Sephiroth's shoes squeak everytime he walked.

I'd post it, but it's WAY too spoilery at this moment in time.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Do you know they gave her jiggle physics in Dissidia?

Someone was paid money to make sure thoses physics were properly jiggled. I can't tell if that's the best job ever, or the saddest job ever.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Rouge Galaxy was a pretty long game too, about 40+ hours. If only because the dungeons were huge and took forever to get from one place to the other. Oh, and one level was basically FFXII's Pharos Tower, times two.

Add in the extra bullshit (two 100 floor dungeons, one of which randomises its layout, item crafting minigame, a bug hunt, optional hidden bosses which can only be found by reading drat guides, etc) and you've got at least a 60-70 hour game.

I don't even want to talk about SO3. It's a completionist's wet dream. Thank god I didn't waste my time with that stuff.

FFVII keeps quite a good hand on its game length, I think. There is the Chocobo time sink though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
J-E-N-O-V-A is just an awesome song in all its variations.

Here's the one from distant worlds that seems to take a sort of Star Trek vibe around the 3:15 mark.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Barret was my main for the caber tossing minigame.

[E]:
He's turned from Mr T to Samuel L Jackson?

VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 16, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
And that cat too...

drat, Amano's art for this is terrible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Amano's art is always terrible so I'm not that surprised.

Terrible from the perspective of early game character designs being unable to utilize his particular style.

Nowdays that's not much of a problem.

[E]:

Fedule posted:

Oh, it's great art, alright, but it's just... completely at odds with everything else in Final Fantasy. OK, that ties in to what you just said, but if you were going to actually design a character based off an Amano drawing you would need to base the entire game's art style around it to make it not look totally out of place.

That's true. Looking at FFVI's steampunk and FFVII's cyberpunk-esque designs, it's not really suited to his fantastic (and I mean "of the realms of fantasy", that is) and sketchy surreal artwork. The closest thing to Amano's designs being brought into the gameplay I can think of is Dissidia, but even then they were drawn by Nomura (that is not a bad thing), so that they blend into that world.

This is an example of the art style matching the world design (though from his upcoming movie rather than a game).

Whizbang posted:

No, terrible from the perspective of he can really only draw one anemic girl so he either does that over and over again or monsters.

You mean like every JRPG character designer ever? And his monsters are suitably monsterous at least. :colbert:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 16, 2011

• Locked thread